Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Caufman posted:

Question for the history buffs. In CKII, when my neighbor is in a civil war, I use the opportunity to gobble up as much of their land as possible in the chaos. How historically accurate is this?
Are you a Turk? If so, very. If not, eh. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Well, it really depends.

On large-scale in Europe, generally speaking, you had the entire system of, "oh, he's a christian and he was properly landed and accorded rule over that land and such" so you really couldn't do it historically without everyone else looking at you and going, "Look at this powerhungry turd, lets stomp him".

With the raw chaos that the Middle East was thrown into every 200 years or so with nomad invasions, there wasn't time to properly establish that property right, and as a result, it was pretty much just one giant clusterfuck. The last of the great nomad invasions was Timur the Lame. After that, the Ottomans pretty much "policed" the rise of steppe nomads coming over and screwing with everyone, AFAIK.

fishception fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 7, 2013

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

I've found a new fun challenge. Start in 1066 as High Chief Toke count of Varend and try to overthrow the kingdom for the old Norse gods.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

BluPotato posted:

I've found a new fun challenge. Start in 1066 as High Chief Toke count of Varend and try to overthrow the kingdom for the old Norse gods.

High Chief Toke you say? :2bong:

I started a new game where I made the Emir of Jerusalem a Jew via Character Creator (though I neglected to change his name, so the Messiah's last name is Smith), and boy is this hard. I've definitely backtracked a few times using saves, because between having to fite half of Europe every time I piss off a Karling, and all of the Middle East whenever someone's Holy War CB is off cooldown. I also took control of one or two dudes and set them off against the Byzantines or a larger neighbor just to get them off my back, but I've gone from a hodunk duchy-equivalent who, after betraying the Sunni Caliph and then the Queen of Lotharingia, is now the King of Israel or whatever the Hebrew word is.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Always fail the usurp and get imprisoned and get executed as a heathen. Usurping a Catholic country as a is a lot of fun.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Caufman posted:

Question for the history buffs. In CKII, when my neighbor is in a civil war, I use the opportunity to gobble up as much of their land as possible in the chaos. How historically accurate is this?

Louis VIII of France took advantage of the Baron's War to go take over half of England and crowned himself as King of England. Also his father took advantage of rebellious nobles in Normandy and Brittany to reclaim all of northern France from England. Though the first was by invite of the barons and the second was technically Phillipe taking land from a vassal.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Cycloneman posted:

ASK ME ABOUT SISTER loving

So are you Zoroastrian?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
This game really need more graphs! I want graphs over total soldiers killed/deaths, income and treasury, religion and culture spread, graphs of everything! Next DLC: GRAPHS!

edit: Pie charts too! Basically copy the ledger from Victoria 2 into one gigantic ledger with stats of everything.

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 7, 2013

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Vigilance posted:

I can't find where screenshots save but I was making a norse ruler and using the random face generator in game and it generated me Hitler so I decided to make House Hitler and roleplay it accordingly. Except when I started the game now for some reason my guy has a beard even though he had a perfect hitler face at the char creation screen and it makes me sad. I think I'll still go with it though.

ck2.txt

also: Crusader Kings II: We call it… The aristocrats!

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Kill em all be a tyrant!

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Seriously once you abandon the win philosophy of games it becomes alot more fun.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I have just finished listening to Lars Bronworth's excellent podcasts (http://12byzantinerulers.com/) and having a better grasp of the history of these states really does give the game so much more depth and gravity to the decisions you do, especially if you're able to contrast them with other rulers at the time. Surely a large part of the reason people love these Paradox games like Victoria and CK is because of the historical accuracy, and so it technically -should- be more difficult to cheapen it with gamey nonsense. (This didn't stop me from save scumming the mongol invasion though, 100k doomstacks with no attrition :argh:).

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

quote:

Caufman posted:

See: the fourth crusade.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

maev posted:

I have just finished listening to Lars Bronworth's excellent podcasts (http://12byzantinerulers.com/) and having a better grasp of the history of these states really does give the game so much more depth and gravity to the decisions you do, especially if you're able to contrast them with other rulers at the time. Surely a large part of the reason people love these Paradox games like Victoria and CK is because of the historical accuracy, and so it technically -should- be more difficult to cheapen it with gamey nonsense. (This didn't stop me from save scumming the mongol invasion though, 100k doomstacks with no attrition :argh:).

It's fun finding ancient conspiracy theories too. Such as the AIMA prophecy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIMA_prophecy

:tinfoil: It really came true.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Conspiracy and superstition held a lot of currency in those days. Some Greeks fortold Konstantine XI's return after the fall of Constantinople, so Sultan Mehmet II had the whole gate walled up to prevent him coming through.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Nolanar posted:

For people who want to bypass those cultural/religious requirements, but still want them to mean something, I uploaded that mod I mentioned. I don't know Fake Latin well enough to come up with a standard CK2 mod name, so I just called it Tweaked Titles. Download it here.

Basically, the cultural and religious requirements for almost every kingdom and empire can be bypassed, but only if you control the entire de jure territory, down to the last holding. Venice has a city in one of the counties on the edge? No title for you.

Compatibility with other mods: no idea! A rough guess would be if it doesn't mod landed_titles.txt, it's probably compatible with Tweaked Titles.

edit:

Fair enough!

This is great btw - one small issue, Kingdom of Leon doesn't have the 100% control The rest of the Hispania is fine though.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
So I bought all of the dlc's I'd been holding out on in the last big sale, and I kind of want to play around in Byzantium, What are some good starting options who aren't the Emperor?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

YodaTFK posted:

So I bought all of the dlc's I'd been holding out on in the last big sale, and I kind of want to play around in Byzantium, What are some good starting options who aren't the Emperor?

Duke of Crete is fun.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

BluPotato posted:

Seriously once you abandon the win philosophy of games it becomes alot more fun.

I'm turning ironman on as soon as I get EU4 and never turning it off. I'm horrible at playing games in a non-optimal way but at least if I'm forced to live with my mistakes or just bad luck I might have some more "losing is fun" moments.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Even if you're playing optimally fate tends to figure out ways to gently caress you if you're willing to roll with it. This time around it seems my dynasty is stuck with lovely fertility, one king had numerous concubines, a lusty strong queen and a fertility bonus from his education and he only managed to squeak out two kids in 20 years. For the past 2-3 successions in a row, my king/queen has died early(ish) leaving behind a single baby girl to take the reigns.

Why realm, why do scared little girls drive you into such a bloodlust?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

crm posted:

This is great btw - one small issue, Kingdom of Leon doesn't have the 100% control The rest of the Hispania is fine though.

Yeah, missed that one due to it being titular in 867. Should be fixed now! Tweaked Titles Version 1.01

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

You know what would be a great joke DLC/expansion? Fake language options! Like Ye Olde Englishe, or replacing all the letters in the English translation with a Norse rune font.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, I have the worst luck with the Varangian guard.
Four of my sons decided to go, the first one comes back with PTSD (Stressed + depressed, had actually never seen that before), the second one comes back homosexual (Which wasn't so bad, since he already had some +fertility traits), the third one decides to stay and cut all ties, and the fourth one comes back blinded and castrated.
:smith:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Am currently breeding a race of super emperors. I married a genius wife and had a genius son. He had 2 genius son's. His sons both had genius sons. I scour Europe for young genius women to marry into my family. The world will tremble at the race of genius Greeks.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn

YodaTFK posted:

I had a fun game as the duke of Salerno from the 867 start. You start as independent but I quickly swore fealty to the Byzantines to keep from getting steamrolled by the Karlings. Through faction politics I was able to keep crown authority low and conqueor all of de jure Sicily, and eventually I managed to get one of my sons married to the Empress only to have them produce no children, so of course the Empire eventually went to her younger sister....who was married to the Karling king of Lotharingia, causing Lotharingia and Byzantium to both unite under their heir. Then a super powerful Muslim Caliphate emerged and conquered Anatolia and Greece pretty much effortlessly, during which chaos I managed to fabricate and press a claim on the Emperor title. The Karling, now a vassal, proceeded to conquer all of France, Aquitane, Italy, and most of Germany for the Byzantine Empire within about 30 years. It turned out to be a good thing that my half dozen assassination attempts on that first Byzantine Karling failed or I'd probably have been swallowed up by the Muslims myself.

The only problem is having the Italian culture type prevented me from using any of the fun Byzantine emperor options once I finally got the drat title, forcing me to change my culture through the console which was annoying because I became a foreigner to all my homies.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

cheesetriangles posted:

Am currently breeding a race of super emperors. I married a genius wife and had a genius son. He had 2 genius son's. His sons both had genius sons. I scour Europe for young genius women to marry into my family. The world will tremble at the race of genius Greeks.

And yet a real life practice of this would get a lot of people up in arms.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

I've gotten to the point where I've found the best courtiers and debutantes for my kids and grandkids to marry, only to realize that these geniuses are also distant family members. Inbreeding ahoy!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Looks like the 1.03 patch added some more alternate norse names, like Skotland for a Norse Scotland.

Those alternate names are really pretty awesome. I wish they had them for more cultures.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Strudel Man posted:

Looks like the 1.03 patch added some more alternate norse names, like Skotland for a Norse Scotland.

Those alternate names are really pretty awesome. I wish they had them for more cultures.

Well there's a mod I absolutely have to use called Cultural Titles & stuff (something to that effect) that changes every culture to their own name for that culture, as well as changing the titles of those cultures. So a French king is a Roi and Croatia is called Hrvatska and so on so forth!

Also, if you play CK2+, some goon has gone to the great pains of providing alternative namese for provinces based on what culture owns the province, like Dublin will be called Dyflin!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

nutranurse posted:

Well there's a mod I absolutely have to use called Cultural Titles & stuff (something to that effect) that changes every culture to their own name for that culture, as well as changing the titles of those cultures. So a French king is a Roi and Croatia is called Hrvatska and so on so forth!

Also, if you play CK2+, some goon has gone to the great pains of providing alternative namese for provinces based on what culture owns the province, like Dublin will be called Dyflin!

Uh, Dublin is called Dyflin if you control it as Norse in the base game as well.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I am way to lazy to look, but is CK+ uptodate somewhere with 03?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

nutranurse posted:

That stuff always drove me a little nuts, because the localisation functions are limited and so end up creating weird inconsistencies. I mean, if all Frenchmen are going to use French-localised titles, then the King of France should be Le Roi de France. Trying to force the internal use of cultural names thus creates weird inconsistencies like "Roi of France" and also doesn't make much sense from the point of view of the player character-- would an English duke or French count commonly refer to the King of Hungary as the "Magyar Király"?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Nolanar posted:

Yeah, missed that one due to it being titular in 867. Should be fixed now! Tweaked Titles Version 1.01

Do you have the Fylkyrite bug? I'm looking at the code and I can't seem to find it. Might have to actually launch CK2...

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Is there any way--other than somehow getting a claim I can press--to usurp the Byzantine empire as a merchant republic? Normally I'd just go elective but republics aren't eligible as candidates.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Caufman posted:

I'm still a relative newbie but how do you get valid CBs when your neighbors are civil warring? Im playing Irish, and this would have helped me when England was being torn apart.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

TinTower posted:

Do you have the Fylkyrite bug? I'm looking at the code and I can't seem to find it. Might have to actually launch CK2...

I'll be honest, I don't know what that bug is. I don't think anything I changed would affect the Fylkirate though.

moroboshi posted:

I'm still a relative newbie but how do you get valid CBs when your neighbors are civil warring? Im playing Irish, and this would have helped me when England was being torn apart.

The same as you would normally. Getting claims, going after your de jure territory, holy warring, etc. The trick with civil wars is that (A) you're catching the main ruler at his weakest, with levies killed in battle and fewer vassals to call on; (B) you can wage wars against the rebels and take stuff from them without violating a truce with their nominal liege; and (C) there's a possibility that the rebels win and force the old ruler out of power, which also nixes any truces. An infidel or heretic neighbor going through a civil war could let you grab half their kingdom by the time they have a chance to recover.

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 7, 2013

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Nolanar posted:

I'll be honest, I don't know what that bug is. I don't think anything I changed would affect the Fylkirate though.

It was a bug that didn't give out titles to reformers of the faith, due to mismatched brackets. It has been fixed now.

Full Kingdom Control 1.01

Changes:

• Fixed a mismatched bracket bug that may have prevented some titles (such as the Fylkirate) from being created.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 7, 2013

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Is there a quick way to turn up AI aggression? Playing shattered world and I've already got three kingdoms united and there's no other kingdom besides mine yet. I remember the AI blobbing quicker before the old gods. It's not even because of the limit on county conquests, they're just not doing much.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

YodaTFK posted:

The Doux of Cherson (Crimean peninsula) is another good one. Some opportunities for expansion against Russians and steppe people, too. Remember to try to marry other families with strong holdings within the Empire, it makes taking over other dudes' in-Empire land a whole lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

nutranurse posted:

That was me, and here's the newest version.

landed_titles.zip - 162.34 KB

• Locked thread