Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
My brother recently picked up this game and I was thinking about starting back up. Since we'll be in a party most of the time I was thinking I might roll a tank or healer. When I first played I was healing. Of all the mmos I played as a healer, I found DCUO to be the least stressful. Since my brother and I will be running a lot of dungeons would it be easier/faster to roll a tank/healer or can I stick with a dps and still find a group in a reasonable amount of time. I'm not sure if there is a dungeon finder in game since it's been so long since I played, I just want to avoid waiting hours to get a party going for an alert/raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see
Does anyone happen to pvp? Just curious what the Goon opinion for the coming update was. I'm not a fan of the changes being made (reffering to the new movement powers debuffing everything) and being a fire tank in PVP myself this pretty much means to hope for a bad player or run exclusively DPS. I can see mass rage quitting for healers in 4vs 4 on up as well. Thoughts?

ganash fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 8, 2013

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home

ganash posted:

Does anyone happen to pvp? Just curious what the Goon opinion for the coming update was. I'm not a fan of the changes being made (reffering to the new movement powers debuffing everything) and being a fire tank in PVP myself this pretty much means to hope for a bad player or run exclusively DPS. I can see mass rage quitting for healers in 4vs 4 on up as well. Thoughts?

Debuffs are dumb but I haven't had too bad a time as a controller. Maybe I win a match half the time with randoms. I usually just throw POT and keep feeding everybody power and that's enough. PVP's always had a big power creep anyway and I wish it was better balanced. I mean they have a PVP CR, why doesn't it mean anything when you're going against people? Why is the "participation reward" a daily and why does it only give you one mark?

NO IDEA what they're trying to do to PVP because nothing sounds like it makes it easier for people who have never tried it. Honestly getting rid of clipping would do wonders to balance the game better but everybody would quit if that happened (I would not mind).

Oh also the styles really bug me. They threw perfectly good styles into the vault (that I have NEVER SEEN) and kept the most butt ugly faux-military poo poo instead. The only style that barely looks good is the newest one they added, and you may never even be able to get it before a PVP season ends because you have to buy all that crap before it. It's dumb as hell.

Duet fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 8, 2013

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

Duet posted:

Debuffs are dumb but I haven't had too bad a time as a controller. Maybe I win a match half the time with randoms. I usually just throw POT and keep feeding everybody power and that's enough. PVP's always had a big power creep anyway and I wish it was better balanced. I mean they have a PVP CR, why doesn't it mean anything when you're going against people? Why is the "participation reward" a daily and why does it only give you one mark?

NO IDEA what they're trying to do to PVP because nothing sounds like it makes it easier for people who have never tried it. Honestly getting rid of clipping would do wonders to balance the game better but everybody would quit if that happened (I would not mind).

Oh also the styles really bug me. They threw perfectly good styles into the vault (that I have NEVER SEEN) and kept the most butt ugly faux-military poo poo instead. The only style that barely looks good is the newest one they added, and you may never even be able to get it before a PVP season ends because you have to buy all that crap before it. It's dumb as hell.

Thank you for backing up controllers aren't nearly as broke as people complain. Being my positive counter class I have a hell of a time with Quantum guys especially DPS specced. This debuff thing will not make it easier, infact IMO it'll be harder because at least the role idea gave people a third chance of having some advatange. This change will make good players even harder to kill and screw new people who couldn't even grasp a single debuff mechanic.

I truly believe removing mods, ALL.MODS, from PVP gear would fix this. Every time I see some person crying because a tank did spike damage or a healer can one shot full heal or any other inane nonsense I gurantee the videoed player had piles of T5 mods on. Seriously I use one mod because I only have one T5 mod and I am lazy as hell so exo farming never gets done. I know, for a fact, tank dps is not out of control. Take the mods away and viola you don't have people running around in off spec gear. It would be retarded to do so. This would likely make as many quit as killing clipping though which I agree with you I wouldn't miss in PVP at all either. PVE would really cry over it though.

Lastly you say the styles change every season? I guess I better get T5 done then :/ I like the wings on blood bat but the rest of the styles of pvp gear are absolutely retarded. I use a mix of T1 and lower pve for style, no sense in tipping people off right away what I have on ;)

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

ganash posted:

Lastly you say the styles change every season? I guess I better get T5 done then :/ I like the wings on blood bat but the rest of the styles of pvp gear are absolutely retarded. I use a mix of T1 and lower pve for style, no sense in tipping people off right away what I have on ;)

That's just what I've heard on the grapevine. It's also likely that there are PVP season specific feats, or that only one new set is added per season. We'll find out when the season ends.

I agree that mods are out of control, though. Home Turf's helped shove the power curve up a bit too.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

Duet posted:

Home Turf's helped shove the power curve up a bit too.

Agreed on HT. Never use them and love people who pop everything under the kitchen sink and I still beat them. Seriously though gently caress that repulsor block, gently caress it in its stupid rear end. Ridiculous OP for any node holding match.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So now that I've gotten my hero to 30 I'm working on a villain since that's where the goons are. Can someone invite Ohmbudsman to the League?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ganash posted:

Agreed on HT. Never use them and love people who pop everything under the kitchen sink and I still beat them. Seriously though gently caress that repulsor block, gently caress it in its stupid rear end. Ridiculous OP for any node holding match.

I just absolutely cannot comprehend the dudes who keep it at max level ever since I bought Home Turf. 3750 Triumph a month PER BUFF (there are 4, recall!) at maximum, not to mention the gold cost. poo poo, I barely keep T2 mods enabled and it's the only base buff I bought into.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I just absolutely cannot comprehend the dudes who keep it at max level ever since I bought Home Turf. 3750 Triumph a month PER BUFF (there are 4, recall!) at maximum, not to mention the gold cost. poo poo, I barely keep T2 mods enabled and it's the only base buff I bought into.

The money on PS3 is a non issue, I have 1.2 mil and I am poor. I never looked at the mark cost though does it really cost that much? drat those guys are crazy or seriously have no life.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ganash posted:

I never looked at the mark cost though does it really cost that much? drat those guys are crazy or seriously have no life.

Home Turf supercomputer stuff is a 4x4 grid, 4 tiers of effectiveness (and the last two only last 30 days), and 4 types of buff (sudden healing, orbital cannon, gear mods, henchmen/sidekicks). In order, they cost 25, 125, 625, and 3125 from T1-T4.

So yes, if you want to be THE TOP TIER all the time, you're blowing 3750 MoTs a month per buff. Plus $6500 for the batteries.

Also from what I hear inflation is nuts on the PS3, so AH can end up making or costing you shitloads. I think the most I've ever gone through in a heavy auctioning month is ~100k on PC.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 8, 2013

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ganash posted:

The money on PS3 is a non issue, I have 1.2 mil and I am poor. I never looked at the mark cost though does it really cost that much? drat those guys are crazy or seriously have no life.

I've never really used the AH ever so I think the most I've ever had on my main is 60k.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Still waiting on an invite if anyone could, Signore Punchinello. Also, question about gadgets. I am finding it hard to keep up combos with staff on raids due to CC's and was wondering what ranged weapon would be good to switch to.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I've never really used the AH ever so I think the most I've ever had on my main is 60k.

Oh man if you are PS3 AH is where it's at. Selling not buying mind you. Anything you salvage outside vendor junk is worth 10's of thousands or more. I have 3 expert recovery kits I got out of lockboxes I believe, a mil a piece easy. Prolly won't use them and saving them for a rainy day retirement fund.

edit-now don't go buying anything unless you have to because the reverse is true, gotta be Bill Gates to fund some alts.

Also not sure if PC works this way but there is no identifier to who is selling what when buying so if it's your cup of tea the market is ripe for cornering rear end hattery. I usually just undercut by like 5% and rake in profit.

ganash fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 8, 2013

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

Throwdown posted:

Also, question about gadgets. I am finding it hard to keep up combos with staff on raids due to CC's and was wondering what ranged weapon would be good to switch to.

Gadget here. I've never used staff in a raid, but I used to use it as a weapon myself. It is really awkward ranged I'll admit. Been using Martial Arts since I haven't found a better weapon and just spamming the ranged is a pretty decent power gain. Bow, Rifle and Pistols are better ranged damage (I think) and can probably gain power faster. Hand Blasters is really fast, but does a lot less damage.

You have a lot to choose from.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Duet posted:

Gadget here. I've never used staff in a raid, but I used to use it as a weapon myself. It is really awkward ranged I'll admit. Been using Martial Arts since I haven't found a better weapon and just spamming the ranged is a pretty decent power gain. Bow, Rifle and Pistols are better ranged damage (I think) and can probably gain power faster. Hand Blasters is really fast, but does a lot less damage.

You have a lot to choose from.

After some doing some research I think I am going to give DP a try, I am more worried about keeping combos up so I can be a good a little battery. Also, just got the diving helmet from Aquaman! The best helmet.

Edit: Ok, pistols seem like they are going to be a lot of fun and a nice change of pace.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 8, 2013

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see
So I think I found how the arena seasons work and it pretty much sucks, most likely why many people avoid it like a plague. They are 6 months long and this current season is over in Oct I believe. At season end the top gear tier becomes something between 1st and 2nd tier or the new 2nd tier (I see conflicting reports on that) and the remainder top tiers are all new sets. So in essence the gear doesn't just change they nerf your current set if you maxxed and I assume any lower tier is absolutely worthless? Seems a bit over the top and retarded to me and has insured this season is my last, I figured a single tier downgrade was inevitible but not something so grand and absolute. No wonder those recovery kits go for such bank. If I still play by seasons end I am totally waiting till then to auction them I bet their value skyrockets.

But anyway thought I would give a heads up. If you want or plan to arena it's pretty much only worth it if you start no later than 2 months in. As long as valor converts to triumph badges thats what I'll be doing. Even a 2:1 downgrade is awesome when I get 70 valor per win min, more if I had any quests pop or get a lucky box.

One last note, I seem to be getting my current goal tier gear in prize boxes every so often. That was a killer idea, I have several weapons now I would have never bought and saved roughly 600 badges in costs.

edit- thought I would add this as no one told me and I was pissed when I realised it, thank god I check often and only wasted like 40 badges. Valor caps at a 1000 with any excess destroyed so no saving them up spend spend spend.

ganash fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 8, 2013

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Enjoying this game so much that I broke down and purchased a paid membership, everything that was annoying me before is now gone and I don't have to worry about bullshit like inventory space and money cap.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

So I bought some DLC off of Steam because it's cheap and I can't log in to SOE to redeem the codes. Every time I try to log in, it tells me that I need to reset my password but once I do, it tells me my password has already been reset but it won't let me in. I can't even open a support ticket because you need to be logged in to do so. gently caress. I'll have to call them tomorrow when their office is open, but has anyone ever had anything like this happen?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I was thinkin' about pulling the trigger on some of the DLCs during the Steam summer sale. In the meantime, is there a Goon GuildLeague on the Hero side? I'm Nicki Sys if you wanna shoot me an invite.

Edit:

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I don't think we have a hero guild because I believe there are roughly 3 of us who main hero.

Well dang.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 12, 2013

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I don't think we have a hero guild because I believe there are roughly 3 of us who main hero.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I am still waiting on an invite to the Villain guild... Characters name is Signore Punchinello.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Throwdown posted:

I am still waiting on an invite to the Villain guild... Characters name is Signore Punchinello.

so it was you i saw the other day.
I tried to respond but my abilities to communicate in the game are pretty terrible and it didn't work out so well.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Heh, if you are who I think you are, you are probably the only person I ever see on, unless that list in the OP hasn't been updated in a while.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I'm TheWhineTaster on US PS3, on the villian side. Hit me up with a message if any of you want to play with me :(.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Throwdown posted:

Heh, if you are who I think you are, you are probably the only person I ever see on, unless that list in the OP hasn't been updated in a while.

I've only been getting back into it during the past few weeks or so. I tend to get carried a way and spend a bunch of time playing once I log in, so it doesn't really work out so well during the school year when I have to grade papers and write lesson plans. I'm trying to get Nutzo Berzerko up to level 30, and I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. I'll probably be on tomorrow night kinda late.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Roydrowsy posted:

I've only been getting back into it during the past few weeks or so. I tend to get carried a way and spend a bunch of time playing once I log in, so it doesn't really work out so well during the school year when I have to grade papers and write lesson plans. I'm trying to get Nutzo Berzerko up to level 30, and I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. I'll probably be on tomorrow night kinda late.

getting to 30 is extremely fast. I am currently 1 point away from tier 2 and have already invested more time post 30 than I did leveling.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I just got the best trinket from the vault.

It doesn't change attacks or movement at all and it only disables by changing zones or using the trinket again. I have no need for new costume pieces now.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I have two on one guy and you can't trade them :mad:

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Spaceman Bill posted:

I have two on one guy and you can't trade them :mad:

They really do make the dumbest poo poo non trade-able in this game.

Edit: Nutzo Berzerko, you're fired. :(

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 16, 2013

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

rantmo posted:

So I bought some DLC off of Steam because it's cheap and I can't log in to SOE to redeem the codes. Every time I try to log in, it tells me that I need to reset my password but once I do, it tells me my password has already been reset but it won't let me in. I can't even open a support ticket because you need to be logged in to do so. gently caress. I'll have to call them tomorrow when their office is open, but has anyone ever had anything like this happen?

I also got curious and snapped up some DLC only to have the same thing happen to me. Password limit or whatever no matter how long I wait and no way to log in to submit a ticket or use their help chat.

Having delt with their phone support before, I'm now in no hurry to check any of their games out ever again.

EDIT:

A quick search of their forums across multiple games shows that the only way to get this resolved is to call so :effort: gently caress that.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'll say this, when I did finally call, I was back into my account in about four minutes. The guy was super nice and there was no wait. I was shocked but very pleasantly surprised.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

rantmo posted:

I'll say this, when I did finally call, I was back into my account in about four minutes. The guy was super nice and there was no wait. I was shocked but very pleasantly surprised.

SOE has awesome customer support in general, in my experience.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Fuzz posted:

SOE has awesome customer support in general, in my experience.

Really? I may have to see if they can troubleshoot my busted Launcher right now, then. Reinstalling it from the site didn't work and so it's probably some drat specific file in the install directory.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
So, tumbling master is completely broken...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSAJ3ylSQPg

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

So I can finally make Batroc the Leaper???

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Spaceman Bill posted:

So I can finally make Batroc the Leaper???

hah, basically. I did a test of it today and dueled a few people using no powers or weapons attacks and won every time.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

here is a random question,

is it possible to line up more than one "pet"?

Like, if you have a robot sidekick and then you rock one of those sea creature trinkets, can you use them both at the same time?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Roydrowsy posted:

here is a random question,

is it possible to line up more than one "pet"?

Like, if you have a robot sidekick and then you rock one of those sea creature trinkets, can you use them both at the same time?

Don't know for certain but seeing how gadgets can have multiple combat pets out I would take a wager and say yes.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Throwdown posted:

Don't know for certain but seeing how gadgets can have multiple combat pets out I would take a wager and say yes.

I've managed to put up two.
I looked into it, and there are those who, at one point or another, could stack as many as 10. It doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Roydrowsy posted:

I've managed to put up two.
I looked into it, and there are those who, at one point or another, could stack as many as 10. It doesn't seem worth the trouble.

The only time I've seen someone doing a mass of pets was one group I got during the summer event, where we walked in, and as soon as the cutscene ended one of the other players summoned roughly 5 different pets down.

We were done in under a minute just due to the sheer amount of damage thrown down by everyone.

• Locked thread