Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mkay0 posted:

lovely leaders are a staple of asoiaf. I love the idea of a quest for power, then having no clue how to use it.

I think Jon in Dance reminds me more of Ned than anyone. The job is thrust on them, rather than seeking it out. They mean well, but lose the forest for the trees.

A big theme of the series when it started was that those best suited to have power are the least suited to hold it. GRRM dropped the ball on this with Cersei's arc, so the theme now is basically this thread, i.e. dysentery, myrish swamps and lemoncakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
Or the best suited to rule take forever to get there and end up banging blue bearded douche bags and making GBS threads in open fields.

Dany really has been led to believe the Iron Throne is a toilet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hunky Joe posted:

Or the best suited to rule take forever to get there and end up banging blue bearded douche bags and making GBS threads in open fields.

What in the name of every fictional world makes you think Dany is anywhere close to being the best suited to rule? She's a completely inept ruler who fucks up literally every single thing she touches. Robb was more suited to rule than Dany, gently caress.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
The best suited to rule are probably Tywin or Littlefinger or Roose.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What in the name of every fictional world makes you think Dany is anywhere close to being the best suited to rule? She's a completely inept ruler who fucks up literally every single thing she touches. Robb was more suited to rule than Dany, gently caress.

I probably should have put quotes around it for irony.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh, ok, we bros now :glomp:

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

run DNC posted:

The best suited to rule are probably Tywin or Littlefinger or Roose.

Well, not to get too serious, but they would be in the 'best suited to hold power' category, because they are merciless and evil. Best suited to have power would be Ned, Tyrion, etc. because they take their responsibilities seriously, or treat people well, etc.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
They are smart and not stupid and not really stupid, unlike Nedward.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Big Stan is the man for the job. That's blatantly obvious.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Aurain posted:

Big Stan is the man for the job. That's blatantly obvious.

"Would that all the lords of the Seven Kingdoms had but a single neck..."

The Mannis is transparently the only deserving ruler.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Rauri posted:

The Mannis is transparently the only deserving ruler.

Deserves got nothing to do with it. The Iron Throne is his, by right.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Rauri posted:

Coincidentally, that's remarkably close to the last words of Carl Panzram.

e: Not that I'm comparing him to Stannis, Panzram was probably closer to Ramsay if anyone.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 5, 2013

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Narmi posted:

e: Not that I'm comparing him to Stannis, Panzram was probably closer to Ramsay Renly if anyone.

:heysexy:

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Narmi posted:

e: Not that I'm comparing him to Stannis, Panzram was probably closer to Ramsay if anyone.

"Yes, hurry it up, you Baratheon bastard! I could flay a dozen ironborn while you're screwing around!"

Heh.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

My friend finally read Game of Bones. He thought I wrote the Chris Isaak chapter. He praised it highly.

Hahha, take that, Thunderdome!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope Stannis gets the throne and if he doesn't George Ronald Reagan Martni is a gently caress head

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't put it past GRRM to make the letter real and Stannis is already dead.
I would probably stop reading if Stannis is killed by Ramsay of all people.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Aurain posted:

I wouldn't put it past GRRM to make the letter real and Stannis is already dead.
I would probably stop reading if Stannis is killed by Ramsay of all people.

If the letter is 100% real, with dead Stannis / tortured Mance and loving Theon of all people managing to escape I'm setting my copy of Winds of Winter on fire.

Of course its hard to burn books that'll never come out.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
The best-fitted to rule is no one because monarchy or any form of single supreme power is inherently a flawed form of government.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

As the Canadian political thread has taught me, an enlightened class of autocratic despots works quite well, like in Singapore.

Unfortunately for Westeros, they are not Singapore. :shobon:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The True King is a guy named Bobert. He's been chilling in the Forest of Forgetfulness - yeah, exactly. You can't remember nothing if you go there. But due to a dragon induced forest fire, Bobert is released, and resumes his proper role, as True King. Also, Bobert's part Targareyan.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Cross-quoted from the Weirdest Fanart thread because it rules:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

http://youtu.be/oy5BnlfrQi8

Yeah, "Hitler Learns About" clip, but it works wonderfully and I feel it encapsulates the Mensa Thread.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Yeah, "Hitler Learns About" clip, but it works wonderfully and I feel it encapsulates the Mensa Thread.

I like how as you read "Stannis" he says "Stalin."

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Ahahahaha the firefly reference was amazing

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I cannot recall (still slowly doing the re-re-readthrough) but did bitchface stark ever acknowledge that she made a colossal fuckup by taking Tyrion? Did she ever find out that it was Jaime? I thought that she may have heard it directly from Jaime when she had him captive, but memory is foggy.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Haha, "if you'd read the books you would already know about this"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fog Tripper posted:

I cannot recall (still slowly doing the re-re-readthrough) but did bitchface stark ever acknowledge that she made a colossal fuckup by taking Tyrion? Did she ever find out that it was Jaime? I thought that she may have heard it directly from Jaime when she had him captive, but memory is foggy.

You know that's the kind of thing that got the Breaking Bad thread a bad reputation. In TVIV no less (I gather it is a place of ill repute.)

So carry on I guess. I didn't really like the slag either.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

syscall girl posted:

You know that's the kind of thing that got the Breaking Bad thread a bad reputation. In TVIV no less (I gather it is a place of ill repute.)

So carry on I guess. I didn't really like the slag either.

Quiet you, I am reading the dream of Ned about the Tower of Joy. You're breaking my immersion.

Someone should ask George Radical Ratfuck Martin to his face if the major changes to the story that are being done in the series means that the show is driving the writing at this point. Or ask him to give a list of things we can simply go cross out in the books so he doesn't need to trouble himself with continuity.

It feels as if the source material is finally getting addressed by an editor.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 8, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

syscall girl posted:

I like how as you read "Stannis" he says "Stalin."

I thought the way the random family and character names lined up with what Hitler was actually saying, it was sublime. Really choice work.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I haven't checked this thread or any GRRM news for a year maybe. Has there been any progress with TWOW? Has he written? If not, I have a suggestion: someone should buy him a voice recorder so he can tell the story and send it to the editor/ghost writer. Sheesh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Rurik posted:

I haven't checked this thread or any GRRM news for a year maybe. Has there been any progress with TWOW? Has he written? If not, I have a suggestion: someone should buy him a voice recorder so he can tell the story and send it to the editor/ghost writer. Sheesh.

Have you ever tried to dictate while eating ribs?

Priorities, man.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rurik posted:

He says he has about 1500 manuscript pages done so far.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Rurik posted:

Since he's old, the football games on the TV are probably loud enough to interfere with any possible recording.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
No he doesn't, he says it is going to be a 1500 page monstrosity, not that he's written 1500 pages so far.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

whowhatwhere posted:

*"About"

(* between 0-1500)

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

whowhatwhere posted:

All "one crayoned letter a page" jokes aside, that poo poo better be edited. Another Dance with Just Shove the loving Thing Out the Door, Editing is for Wild Cards and I'll just watch the show. (Though I will rely on you book buyers to spoil me good and proper)

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Rurik posted:

From this interview,

GRRM posted:

I’ve already written 400 pages of my sixth book. However, of these 400 pages, only 200 are really finished because I still have to revise the other 200 pages, which are in a rough version and I still have to work on them a lot. But you have to keep in mind that the last book, Dance with Dragons, was 1.500 pages long and this one will be more or less the same extension, so I have a lot of work. I hope after this tour I can go back home in order to write as a possessed man. But the sixth volume won’t be released in 2012 or in 2013. I really look forward to publishing it in 2014, but I am really bad for predictions, you may know it. And then, there is another fact: when I finish this saga I will be judged for the quality of the books, not for the speed of my writing.

That was almost eight months ago, so he's probably progressed a bit since then too.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Football is coming back soon though so that's 5 months of no writing whatsoever

E: sorry i mean consequential writing, not blogging about Geno Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

mkay0 posted:

lovely leaders are a staple of asoiaf. I love the idea of a quest for power, then having no clue how to use it.

I think Jon in Dance reminds me more of Ned than anyone. The job is thrust on them, rather than seeking it out. They mean well, but lose the forest for the trees.

See Jon wasn't as dumb as Ned though. Even after all the poo poo he pulled, the Wildlings liked him and so did most of the Night's Watch. The only people he pissed off were his advisers and unlike Ned Stark he had no reason to think they'd go as far they did. Janos Slynt and the other idiots actually plotting murder were dead. Hell when he even gave Stannis good, practical advice and secured important alliances and hosed up Bolton's betrayal.

Jon Snow is an idiot, but he's no where near as dumb as Cersei or Ned Stark.