Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Wow that Planetary Omnibus is cheap on Amazon. Only $57 for 832 pages? The actual book any good? I've actually never purchased a DC omnibus, the build quality any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Wow that Planetary Omnibus is cheap on Amazon. Only $57 for 832 pages? The actual book any good? I've actually never purchased a DC omnibus, the build quality any good?

Planetary is loving phenomenal. No idea what the quality on the omnibus will be like compared to the Absolutes, but it's probably the best way to pick it up, given the first Absolute is obscenely expensive.

On that note: is the Invisibles Omnibus out of print? Amazon says "temporarily out of stock"; is it wishful thinking that they'll get more?

Colonel Pancreas fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 25, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

obi_ant posted:

My League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Kamandi omniboo are pretty nice. The Solo book is crappy but maybe I just got a defect copy. Authority seemed to have really tight gutters.

Planetary is easily one of my favorite books. It feels like a great love letter to popular fiction, with comics being the main focus.

I found the entire run for about a buck a book so I am just going to have it bound. I am sure you will be able to find the omnibus cheaper though. Most books can be had for around 40% off or more around time of release if you look.

Edit:

I think The Invisibles might be out of print. Seems that you can still get it from other sellers for well below cover price.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 25, 2013

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Planetary is loving phenomenal. No idea what the quality on the omnibus will be like compared to the Absolutes, but it's probably the best way to pick it up, given the first Absolute is obscenely expensive.

On that note: is the Invisibles Omnibus out of print? Amazon says "temporarily out of stock"; is it wishful thinking that they'll get more?

There is talk of deluxe volumes. Which they should've just done from the loving beginning, but whatever.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
I just moved to Baltimore area and found a comic book shop about 5 minutes from my house. Upon finding that all HC's and tpb's are half off this weekend I'm 150 bucks lighter but I managed to snag an Absolute All Star Superman, Thor omni (the Staczynski one), two copies of Fables covers and two Fables tpbs. I might have to force myself not to go there tomorrow as they have a ton of omni's like the complete Sandman run and many more. I almost freaked out though because I saw 3 Absolute Planetary's and for a second I thought one of them was Volume one. That would've made the trip a perfect one.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
The Promethea landscape edition has been put on hiatus and forbiddenplanet have cancelled my order.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Complete Zenith preorder up at shop.2000adonline.com for those interested. They tweeted half of them were already gone a little while ago.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Complete Zenith preorder up at shop.2000adonline.com for those interested. They tweeted half of them were already gone a little while ago.

Massively overpriced so I'm giving it a miss. Think I've got all of it in in original 2000ADs or Best Of collections anyway. I did order the T-Shirt though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I came across a great find today--a big-rear end 1965 hardcover of Jules Feiffer's "The Great Comic Book Heroes" long-form essay and accompanying full-color Golden Age reproductions for a measly $4. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I can already tell it's going to be pretty schway.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

I came across a great find today--a big-rear end 1965 hardcover of Jules Feiffer's "The Great Comic Book Heroes" long-form essay and accompanying full-color Golden Age reproductions for a measly $4. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I can already tell it's going to be pretty schway.

I owned that book for most of my life -- a former library copy my mom brought home from the school where she taught (since the librarian was going to deselect it!). It is really great, and when I was a kid in elementary school, diving into DC Who's Who and The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Deluxe Edition, I read it until I pretty much had it memorized.

Jetgrahamradio
Apr 9, 2009
Hey, if anyone is interested, I just lowered prices on a bunch of hardcovers and TPBs I have up in the SA-Mart thread on account of America and stuff. Please, please check it out--I can't possibly fit all these Absolutes and Omnibu into my new studio apartment. (If it helps, I have a 100% seller rating on ebay.)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Jetgrahamradio posted:

Hey, if anyone is interested, I just lowered prices on a bunch of hardcovers and TPBs I have up in the SA-Mart thread on account of America and stuff. Please, please check it out--I can't possibly fit all these Absolutes and Omnibu into my new studio apartment. (If it helps, I have a 100% seller rating on ebay.)

The Awful app doesn't seem to be able to pull up other posts. Ignore me.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 5, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Today was a great day. A co-worker who retired last month bought everyone gifts before she left, and she got me a $15 gift certificate to our largest local chain of comic shops. I was debating between buying myself Saga Vol. 2 or Fatale Vol. 3 with it, or waiting around for Hawkeye Vol. 2, but today the shops were having a Buy One TPB, Get One Free sale for Independence Day. So I ended up getting Saga AND Fatale for less than a dollar out of my own pocket, AND they had Modern Masters: Mike Allred (my favorite artist) on their 75% off shelf, so I got that for another four bucks. I made out like a bandit!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What's the best way to pack trades for moving? Just put them all in some longboxes and drive carefully?

I'm not looking to go all crazy or anything but I'd prefer if they didn't get super banged up during the 15-hour car ride.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dik-dik posted:

What's the best way to pack trades for moving? Just put them all in some longboxes and drive carefully?

I'm not looking to go all crazy or anything but I'd prefer if they didn't get super banged up during the 15-hour car ride.
U-Haul sells book boxes, which can fit pretty much anything below Absolute size. Books get heavy quickly, so you probably don't want long boxes packed full of trades.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A longbox full of trades weighs as much as a longbox full of floppies, but, yeah, not fun to carry around if you have more than a few.

Personally, I like to pack Absolutes in file boxes (strong, cheap, have handles) along with DVDs and CDs or towels. Instead of one heavy box and one light one, I get two moderate weight boxes, which makes life way more pleasant.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

dik-dik posted:

Depending on how much time you have, asking your LCS if they have any extra Diamond boxes is a pretty good idea. I swear to god, the best thing Diamond has ever or will ever do is make boxes. TPBs slide in with ease, though anything larger will fit in a bit awkwardly.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I am selling some floppies and books over in this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468478&pagenumber=8#post417233988

Check it out.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I ordered a couple books from that Fantagraphics sale back in May. They charged me, then I didn't hear from them for two weeks. I tweet at them, they tell me to email, I email, email tells me that they got so many orders that it'd take "a couple weeks" to get to mine. That's June 10th. I get an invoice in the mail June 28th (that they ran on the 16th but didn't mail until the 26th) that lists both things I ordered as backordered until "00/00/00" (both of which are still for sale on their site). They've since ignored three emails. I dig that their founder died in the middle of this but good god.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Karma Tornado posted:

I ordered a couple books from that Fantagraphics sale back in May. They charged me, then I didn't hear from them for two weeks. I tweet at them, they tell me to email, I email, email tells me that they got so many orders that it'd take "a couple weeks" to get to mine. That's June 10th. I get an invoice in the mail June 28th (that they ran on the 16th but didn't mail until the 26th) that lists both things I ordered as backordered until "00/00/00" (both of which are still for sale on their site). They've since ignored three emails. I dig that their founder died in the middle of this but good god.

I guess I got really lucky with that sale. All my stuff arrived within a week. I read on the MMW message board that the orders might be arriving around the end of July.

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/reply/650794/Online-Bargain-thread#reply-650794

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I received half of my order from that Fantagraphics sale a few weeks ago, and then received a response to my email from 2 days before receiving the package saying that some of it had shipped out and they were working on the rest.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I added about 100 books to my Amazon store, will be adding even more in about a week!

http://www.amazon.com/shops/CharlieComics

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Rhyno posted:

I added about 100 books to my Amazon store, will be adding even more in about a week!

http://www.amazon.com/shops/CharlieComics
Do you think your hilarious 350 dollar episode one lightsaber replica will ever find a home? I hope so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Do you think your hilarious 350 dollar episode one lightsaber replica will ever find a home? I hope so.

I've sold FOUR of them at that price so probably.

Edit: the last one only sold for $300 so I guess it is massively overpriced.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Rhyno posted:

...I guess it is massively overpriced.

ZING!

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Hooray happy birthday to me. The best part is that amazon managed to not destroy it in transit!

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 11, 2013

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

Don't know if this is an error on Amazon's part or if they'll even honor the price, but for those of you who have been picking up the Annotated Sandman volumes, they currently have vol.3 listed for $10.97.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Sandman, I've been looking at this collection. I've never read the series, but that's the complete set, right? How does the price compare to other collections?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I actually just bought that last week. Unless the digital issues go on sale, it's by far the cheapest version you can get, at least until the omnibus arrives (and that just covers the first half).

I do want a hardcover version, but the absolutes are so atrociously expensive I don't think it's worth it unless you really love Sandman and are willing to shell out £250+. As far as TPBs go, they're fairly high quality, although they are the recoloured versions if that matters to you. The box is also nice and sturdy.

And yes, it's complete, though it doesn't have as many extras as the absolutes.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 13, 2013

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Metal Loaf posted:

Speaking of Sandman, I've been looking at this collection. I've never read the series, but that's the complete set, right? How does the price compare to other collections?

It's the complete main Sandman series that's collected in the first four Absolutes. There are a few things not collected there that you absolutely do not need to read, but may be enjoyable if you end up liking the series.

It is missing:
The two Death miniseries
The illustrated prose story story Dream Hunters (which was turned into a comic by P. Craig Russell)
The OGN Sandman: Endless Nights

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I was disappointed the Hawkeye TPB didn't have all of the recap pages. Sometimes there's some nice little things there, like in the fourth issue it asks the reader "Why are you still reading this? It's the same page".

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Uthor posted:

It's the complete main Sandman series that's collected in the first four Absolutes. There are a few things not collected there that you absolutely do not need to read, but may be enjoyable if you end up liking the series.

It is missing:
The two Death miniseries
The illustrated prose story story Dream Hunters (which was turned into a comic by P. Craig Russell)
The OGN Sandman: Endless Nights

The latter two of which are collected in Absolute Sandman Vol. 5, and the first collected in Absolute Death (which is otherwise light on material).

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012
Anybody know of any online stores where Ex Machina Deluxe book 4 HC is still in stock, seems like something I've been having a great deal of difficulty finding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Anybody know of any online stores where Ex Machina Deluxe book 4 HC is still in stock, seems like something I've been having a great deal of difficulty finding.

Good luck, it's been out of print for over a year and commanding 3 times cover on Amazon.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Anybody know when the "Dead" arc of Deadpool is due to be released in TPB? The hardcover came out 7 months ago and seems easy enough to find - but I much prefer paperbacks. It's one of the rare comics I know of that seems to have a listing on Amazon but nowhere else. Midtown, TFAW, Instocktrades, Forbidden Planet - Nowhere even has a listing for it except for Amazon, which kinda makes me doubt it, you know?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Anybody know when the "Dead" arc of Deadpool is due to be released in TPB? The hardcover came out 7 months ago and seems easy enough to find - but I much prefer paperbacks. It's one of the rare comics I know of that seems to have a listing on Amazon but nowhere else. Midtown, TFAW, Instocktrades, Forbidden Planet - Nowhere even has a listing for it except for Amazon, which kinda makes me doubt it, you know?

I got nothing from Diamond. Not even a forthcoming book.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I got nothing from Diamond. Not even a forthcoming book.

Figured as much. I'll just keep on assuming that Amazon are talking poo poo and that there's no release for it yet. Doesn't help that the Marvel website is such an unwieldy pile of crap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Figured as much. I'll just keep on assuming that Amazon are talking poo poo and that there's no release for it yet. Doesn't help that the Marvel website is such an unwieldy pile of crap.

Amazon often gets the advance info before Diamond puts it into their system so it's still likely that it's coming.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Amazon often gets the advance info before Diamond puts it into their system so it's still likely that it's coming.

I guess, but Amazon does claim that it's released in the next 3 weeks or so. If that were true I'd expect you to have had copies arrive already in the direct market, let alone had notice on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

TFAW is having a sale. Some stuff is 60% off. Lots of Creepy and Eerie for 40% Creepy V.4 for under $20. (Nick and dent, which are usually in pretty good condition though I have received some beat rear end stuff but nothing unreadable) B.P.R.D. HC V.2 and 4 50% off. These books are a steal at $17.50.

Managed to pick up Bloom County HC V.4,5 for 15.99 each, Atomic Robo, Wormwod, some Usagi Yojimbo TPBs for around $6, S.H. MonsterArts Spacegodzilla for 50% off but I think it was the last one.

Bonus if you live in Portland you can do free shipping to the store and pick it up.

I always check theses prices against Amazon and they sometimes manage to beat it.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 16, 2013