Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Bought this last night and decided to play my first game and try to win with culture. Taking every bit of strength I have to avoid just killing all the civilizations near me as I typically just try to win with domination when I play civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hm, is there any benefit to being Dominant with your tourism? That's when you have double tourism to the other civ's culture.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Speedball posted:

Hm, is there any benefit to being Dominant with your tourism? That's when you have double tourism to the other civ's culture.

I don't think it'll go down anymore, so you can focus on other dudes.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I think it might increase the pressure to switch to your ideology that much more. May be imagining that though.

Also the Shoshone are probably my new favorite to play with. Got a culture victory far earlier than I anticipated with them, and now playing a game where I've completely dominated the congress. Pathfinders are the best and the extra tiles are great.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Can Great Works of Writing even achieve a theming bonus? I can't seem to get one in the Great Library no matter what I do :saddowns:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
To get the extra religious traits do I just pop another Prophet and upgrade again?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone got some settings/tips/mods to make the era's last longer? Aspecially the Modern Era, you get all these new toys, but then you win the game (or lose). I'm trying Marathon now, but i can't see it solving the "wanna play with the best toys" issue in the Modern Era. I realise all mods are broken right now, i can wait till it gets updated.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any plans that anyone knows of to change some of the older Civ's abilites or units? I am starting up my first game and looking each one over and America, Byzantium, Spain and Sweden in particular seem super underpowered. I get an extra belief with a religion with Theodora, great, but that doesn't seem to quite be as powerful as DOUBLE TRADE ROUTES or BUYING CITY STATES. Same with the others I listed above. They seem to be just outclassed in every way.

At least the war-like Civs like Aztec, Huns, Zulu all make sense. They don't get other bonuses, but their role is warfare through and through. The others like America just seem like....meh. Extra sight and cheaper tile buy. Yay, I guess?

Edit: Put Greece in there too. When other civs can literally buy the city state or at the least, influence them cheaper, what good is the degradation of influence bonus?

Double Edit: What happens if you capture a city as Assyria and you've out teched them? Nothing?

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

To get the extra religious traits do I just pop another Prophet and upgrade again?

If you mean the Reformation beliefs, you get to pick as soon as you select the policy, you don't need another prophet.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Anyone got some settings/tips/mods to make the era's last longer? Aspecially the Modern Era, you get all these new toys, but then you win the game (or lose). I'm trying Marathon now, but i can't see it solving the "wanna play with the best toys" issue in the Modern Era. I realise all mods are broken right now, i can wait till it gets updated.

That's easy, disable every victory type except domination and/or score.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dongattack posted:

You can always bump the length up again to Epic speed. Plus you've got like two more eras to play with your new toys after reaching Modern.

*Edit: or yeah turn everything off but score victory to let you play the full 500/1000/2000 whatever turns.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 10, 2013

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Minrad posted:

Why the gently caress are barbarians more prosperous than ever? I will see 3 barbarians assaulting me from every side in like, 3200 b.c. when the most I can have is maybe a second warrior. :psyduck:

This is old at this point but seriously. Every game I've played sofar has had a ridiculous number of barbarians. I'd love to try out the new culture/tourism stuff, but the early game has me focusing more on military than usual so I can keep my wheat fields intact!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jastiger posted:

Are there any plans that anyone knows of to change some of the older Civ's abilites or units? I am starting up my first game and looking each one over and America, Byzantium, Spain and Sweden in particular seem super underpowered. I get an extra belief with a religion with Theodora, great, but that doesn't seem to quite be as powerful as DOUBLE TRADE ROUTES or BUYING CITY STATES. Same with the others I listed above. They seem to be just outclassed in every way.

At least the war-like Civs like Aztec, Huns, Zulu all make sense. They don't get other bonuses, but their role is warfare through and through. The others like America just seem like....meh. Extra sight and cheaper tile buy. Yay, I guess?

America has two extremely powerful UUs and can dominate in lategame warfare. Due to the snowball effect that early advantages have, this still puts them as one of the weakest civs, and the Shoshone UA outshines theirs by a large margin.

Spain is a little luck based but incredibly powerful and only got better; their UA means they usually wind up getting a massive pile of cash at a time when gold is very hard to come by in BNW, and there are several new natural wonders with good bonuses for them to exploit.

Byzantium is kind of gimmicky, the changes to Piety may help them out considerably. It remains to be seen how well it works.

Sweden is also kind of gimmicky but some people really like them, go figure v:shobon:v Being able to get +30-50% to Great People generation is pretty cool though, and they also have an extremely strong mid-late game UU.

(Also Aztecs and Huns are secretly really good at the builder's game thanks to an obscenely strong UB and free tech + resource bonus :ssh:.)

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Speedball posted:

You know, the way things are set up now, I think it's actually more viable to go straight Honor from the start. Hell, even straight Piety! Before it was just a toss-up between Liberty/Tradition. But with the ability to stimulate city growth and production using trade routes...

I'm about to try this with Poland...straight Piety, that is. I'm going to play as Morocco or Poland and see just what kind of antics I can get into with the power of RELIGION.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Jastiger posted:

Some civs are definitely better than others, but you cant really compare Venice's UA when they also get the penalty of never controlling a city except your capital. The real reason that civs like America, Byzantium, and Spain aren't very good is there unique units/buildings are pretty lame, so it feels like there's nothing overpowered to be excited about. That being said, a lot of these civs aren't as bad as they look at first. Byzantium really benefits from Piety being a much stronger tree - a Byzantium super religion with their bonus belief and a reformation belief is incredible. Spain is borderline broken if you get a natural wonder near your start - the bonus for finding a wonder first is 500 gold, which means you can literally find a natural wonder, spawn a settler and claim it. Remember that something like Cerro de Potosi is a 20 gold tile for Spain, King Solomon's mines is +12 production from the very beginning, and Mt. Sinai is +16 faith.

The real reason Spain is lame is because they're so reliant on good world generation. IIRC they do have a start bias to start near a natural wonder, though. If they get an early natural wonder, IMO they're one of the best civs in the game.

quote:

Double Edit: What happens if you capture a city as Assyria and you've out teched them? Nothing?

Right.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 10, 2013

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

UmbreonMessiah posted:

I'm about to try this with Poland...straight Piety, that is. I'm going to play as Morocco or Poland and see just what kind of antics I can get into with the power of RELIGION.

Like I said last page, I don't think it really competes with the other options. The reformation belief is great, but most of the other policies before you get there are sub-par, and since there's no culture benefits, it takes forever to get there. It might work for somebody like France though, if you want to be sure to compete in the religion game, but lost the goody hut and national wonder faith lottery.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

gently caress Shaka, if I wanted to play Zerg Rushes I would play Starcraft.

...The X-Com Squad DOES need Aliens to shoot. Though I imagine there aren't really many/any big conversion Civs like that.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ohhh I totally misunderstood the Spain one. I thought it was a double FIRST TIME BONUS ONLY. If it's double all bonuses, then yeah, totally. But, like Venice and others, it relies on a good world gen. If all the city states or NW are in terrible places or right next to enemies, it can go sour real quick.

I haven't begun really digging in yet, so I'll have to see what the Piety tree does. Still a lot to learn.

And yeah, Great Person generation and all that...I dunno. It's nice for sure, but compared to some other unique stuff that other civs get it really does seem underwhelming.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Jastiger posted:

Ohhh I totally misunderstood the Spain one. I thought it was a double FIRST TIME BONUS ONLY. If it's double all bonuses, then yeah, totally. But, like Venice and others, it relies on a good world gen. If all the city states or NW are in terrible places or right next to enemies, it can go sour real quick.

I haven't begun really digging in yet, so I'll have to see what the Piety tree does. Still a lot to learn.

And yeah, Great Person generation and all that...I dunno. It's nice for sure, but compared to some other unique stuff that other civs get it really does seem underwhelming.

Spain's UA also doubles One With Nature (+4 faith to natural wonders). If you get a nearby wonder, especially one that has faith on it already, and have OWN it's ridiculous. You can get 24+ faith from that one tile alone.

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

Bloodly posted:

...The X-Com Squad DOES need Aliens to shoot. Though I imagine there aren't really many/any big conversion Civs like that.

At some point in the game barbarians should be replaced by aliens.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So does Heathen Conversion work like Vanilla Suleiman's ability worked on barbarian ships, i.e., they just need to bump into barbarians to convert them? No special actions or anything?

Man, it'd be like Populous: The Beginning. Where the preacher class was able to convert hordes of enemies just by walking up to them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
One thing I'm disappointed in is that they still haven't improved the minimap. I mean come on, you can see all the different terrain in the replay map at the end of a game already!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Speedball posted:

That's easy, disable every victory type except domination and/or score.

If i do this, can i still launch the SS spacecraft for instance or build the UN and win the election(s) for a big points boost?

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
No, the UN and Apollo program wonders will never be buildable. Same goes with Utopia.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011
Well, you don't seem to "build" the United Nations anymore. The World Congress becomes the United Nations after a certain era. The World Leader proposal is probably deactivated though.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
It seems the military adviser has been reworked. Normally he's telling me all about how I have the puniest army on the planet because I haven't upgraded my archers yet, but now he's rightfully telling me that I can trounce any one of my neighbours. I wonder if this will affect the AI as well.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Now that there are more policies, is the relative amount of Culture you get increased at all? Or is it just harder choices?

You get somewhat less culture than before, especially if you don't focus on getting some great works. However, costs are both somewhat smaller (I think) and increase less per city you found (10% rather than 15%). In the end, I think you can get basically the same amount of policies as before as long as you dont neglect Great Works entirely, and make some landmarks. If you focus on culture, you can get more than before.

However, you can also get a number of free policies, especially with ideologies. If you are the first to found a specific Ideology, you get 2 free tenets, and 1 free if you are second. You can get a free policy by building the wonder associated with your Ideology. You get a free policy for the World fair project as well if you can get the silver prize or better.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Derkinstacker posted:

At some point in the game barbarians should be replaced by aliens.
At some point coastal barbarians should be replaced by "Pirates" and later become "rogue nations". Also be super dangerous if they get a nuke.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
Still a beginner at this game but had a blast winning a culture victory with Venice on Warlord. I had trouble protecting my trade routes a couple of times. I would set the route, put a unit or two on the route and set them to alert whenever a barbarian/enemy came near but I would see "trade route plundered." Any tips for protecting trade routes? Do i take a unit and set move mode along the path?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Speedball posted:

So does Heathen Conversion work like Vanilla Suleiman's ability worked on barbarian ships, i.e., they just need to bump into barbarians to convert them? No special actions or anything?

Man, it'd be like Populous: The Beginning. Where the preacher class was able to convert hordes of enemies just by walking up to them.

My first test game in BNW was a quick duel game as Theodora to see how Piety worked, and Heathen Conversion looked like the best candidate for assisting a quick domination victory. It is as you think; as soon as you move a Missionary next to a barbarian, they automatically flip to your control. You can even pick up more than one in a turn with the same Missionary. I soon overran Attila with Swordsmen and Hand-Axes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Could someone explain the point of trading great works/artifacts?

You can only trade like for like, so how does that help you in any way?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Kanfy posted:

One thing I'm disappointed in is that they still haven't improved the minimap. I mean come on, you can see all the different terrain in the replay map at the end of a game already!

Huh, what's your problem with it? The only complaint I have with the minimap is that it would be nice if it showed borders over water. It already shows mointain ranges, so I don't know what other terrain you'd expect. If it showed ever plains, grassland, etc. tile as a different color, that would be incredibly distracting. You already have strategic mode if you want to see that anyways.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

As much as we groan about America's UA, it's a really stealthy bonus especially with the new trade routes. Being able to watch more of your trade routes with fewer units frees up production for other things as well as helping fight early barbarians. Plus with gold being extremely tight in the first portion of the game makes the US's ability to buy tiles for cheap that more useful.

Still, if I had a crack at it I'd add the ability to purchase enemy tiles for some diplomatic penalty as well as swapping out the B2 for some appropriate building.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

Like I said last page, I don't think it really competes with the other options. The reformation belief is great, but most of the other policies before you get there are sub-par, and since there's no culture benefits, it takes forever to get there. It might work for somebody like France though, if you want to be sure to compete in the religion game, but lost the goody hut and national wonder faith lottery.

Jesuit Education is completely insane if you are wide, a lot of the other reformation beliefs are unimpressive, and it seems like a huge gambit since, at least in my first game focusing on Piety I had three other religions get to Reformation before me. I can understand Theodora or The Maya, but why did Babylon go straight 5 Piety?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

victrix posted:

For the theme bonus. Certain buildings and wonders that house great works like it when you arrange them according to a theme, for example, "All from the same civ and time period" or "all from different civs" or "all from different civs and different time periods." Get the theme right and you produce way more tourism. Doesn't affect the culture gain, though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hogama posted:

My first test game in BNW was a quick duel game as Theodora to see how Piety worked, and Heathen Conversion looked like the best candidate for assisting a quick domination victory. It is as you think; as soon as you move a Missionary next to a barbarian, they automatically flip to your control. You can even pick up more than one in a turn with the same Missionary. I soon overran Attila with Swordsmen and Hand-Axes.

This rules by the way.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've only ever seen Hiawatha "Afraid" of me. How do I get other guys Afraid of me? Or was it a clever ploy?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

victrix posted:

Theming bonuses. When you see buildings or wonders in the culture screen that are multi-slotted, mouse-over the "+0" that you most likely have sitting next to it and it'll tell you what you need to do to get a theme bonus.

Most of them are basically that everything needs to be the exact same, or everything needs to be different. I.e. if you put two ancient era beads from Venice into the Museum, you'll get +4 tourism. If you put two ancient era artifacts in the Museum, one from Venice, one from barbarians, you'll get +2. If neither matches, you don't get any.

Conversely, some buildings want 2 or 3 completely different great works in order to get the bonus. So you have to trade the ones you find to get other peoples'. For example, you might need a medieval Mayan writer, a renaissance Greek writer, and an industrial German writer to get the +4 or +6 theme bonus from one building. If you have two great works that are from the same era or the same civilization, for those specific buildings, you get nothing on top of what the great works already provide.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Toplowtech posted:

At some point coastal barbarians should be replaced by "Pirates" and later become "rogue nations". Also be super dangerous if they get a nuke.

Because I don't know the game: Can Barbarians not hold cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well my first game of BNW was pretty drat awesome. I'm sure I'm more impressed with the game changes now, than I was with the G&K expansion.

Picked Morocco in a 10 civ, continents map, mostly wanting to try out trade routes and tourism. Ending up making mad cash and forcing my culture on the world.

Trade routes are nice. With the batshit crazy barbarians running around now, it took a notable effort to keep areas clear for my caravans. Made early game a lot more fun, in my opinion. Seemed to get excessive at times though. I managed to score both the Colossus and Petra (Petra and Kasbah's :getin: ) which really helped out my trade empire.

Diplomacy seems way better. I aggressively settled near Askia to claim a sweet coastal spot. He wasn't impressed, but with some one-sided trades, he eventually warmed up again. We shared a border along three cities, and had a similar army size. He never got aggressive. Seems a lot harder to make friends though, but when I befriended Catherine, she stayed a reliable friend for the entire game.

Alexander was the runaway AI on the other continent, swallowing up all of Siam, and most of America and Persia. Korea seemed mostly spared. He was almost double my score, and 150% the score of 2nd place Rome. Things got interesting once the world congress opened up though. It took most of my bankroll to have any resistance against Greece and his horde of city states. World Congress might be my favourite change. There are so many ways to increase friendships and piss off your enemies, just through having the power to bring up topics to vote on. And the world leader vote comes so much earlier than the UN did, it makes a diplomatic win so much more threatening.

It brought up a lot of interesting moments though. I couldn't dream of buying enough cities to prevent Greece from doing whatever he wanted, so it took a communist superbloc (Rome, me, Russia in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place) to deny his world-ideology and world religion policies. Combined we were still slightly behind of his total voting power, so the decisions often voted on the other AIs, and trying to bribe them. Once ideologies opened up, friendships became really solid.

With this alliance in place, I started countering Alex with our own world-ideology and world religion votes, which dropped him from a very loyal friend to getting very close to declaring war. I started fortifying my coastal cities near him, and started on a defensive nuclear program. Once I got the first bomb stationed, I saw something completely new for me - every single civilization in the game came to me afraid and asking to be spared from my wrath. I had next to no standing army, but the AI really takes notice of a nuclear arsenal it seems.

With all this in place, with the entire world except for Greece, America and Songhai following Order, and my tourism becoming dominant, Alexander either deliberately switched to Order, or his cities started revolting. I don't know - culture is a bit hard to follow. Either way, he switched, friendships started building again, and I shortly won the game by burying the world in cheap Moroccon jeans, and formulized pop music.

• Locked thread