Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ineffiable posted:

All these new posts and I thought we had some bit of news about Yakuza 1/2 HD or Yakuza 5.

I don't want to get my hopes or anyone else's up too high but this happened a month ago:

quote:

“I sent an email to sega asking for any news for Y5 and while I didn’t get any they sent me an amusing haiku, here’s their response:

Eugene, May 20 08:53 (PDT):

Hello Loyal Fan,

I cannot comment.
Stay tuned to the Sega site.
Good information.

An original haiku by the Sega staff

Regards,
Eugene
Sega of America
Customer Support”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

After that haiku, I was hoping for E3 news, but nothing happened :saddowns: Much like Valkyria 3, I don't know if we'll be getting it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's always Gamescom next month, and Tokyo Game Show in September. Anyone else remember that Sega of America announced Yakuza 2 was coming overseas at Tokyo Game Show '07?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It begins!! I'm gonna marathon 1-3 then probably end up picking up Dead Souls.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Dead Souls takes place after 4 narratively, not that it really matters since Saejima and Tanimura are only briefly referenced. And most of its story callbacks are from 2.

Play the other games sequentially though; slog through 1 so you can enjoy the combat improvements in 2 and 3.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Yardbomb posted:

Wonder how this is gonna turn out. Obviously Kiryu, Haruka, Daigo, Majima, Akiyama and all those other big players are gonna take the top spots, but I'm hoping some of the other guys like Rikiya and Date get higher scores too. :ohdear:

Everyone vote for Sayama! (Also Tanimura)

EDIT: And apparently you can vote multiple times for a person?

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 10, 2013

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I finished 4 recently and played the Japanese version of 1 briefly when it came out. I heard 2 is a real gem.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Dead Souls takes place after 4 narratively, not that it really matters since Saejima and Tanimura are only briefly referenced. And most of its story callbacks are from 2.

Play the other games sequentially though; slog through 1 so you can enjoy the combat improvements in 2 and 3.

I played everything from 4 onwards and yeah, going back to 1 is pretty painful then

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Housh posted:

I finished 4 recently and played the Japanese version of 1 briefly when it came out. I heard 2 is a real gem.

2 has some amazing stuff involving tigers! You should really grab it asap.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

2 has some amazing stuff involving tigers! You should really grab it asap.

Got it already but I gotta play through 1 first. OMG I can't believe this game has English dub. Intro video and Kiryu is dropping mad F-bombs. This is going to be hilarious. Can't wait until my component cables come in the mail though. PS2 isn't looking so hot on my HDTV.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yakuza 1's dub is incredible if only for Majima being voiced by Mark Hamill and shouting MOTHERFUCKER all the time.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
As well as featuring the choices of Bill Farmer (Goofy), Michael Rosenbaum and WhatsernameFaithfromBuffy.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I dunno what folks are talking about. I'm 4 hours in the first Yakuza game and I'm having a blast busting people's faces in. The strip club assassin was hilarious. DIE LIKE A MANNN!!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The intermediate results are...not so surprising.

edit: after spending her entire childhood surrounded by the manliest men ever, how could Haruka NOT grow up into a hard-boiled gangster slayer?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

YOU HAVE LET HIM DOWN, INTERNET

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Just finished Yakuza 1 and it made me appreciate the length and scope of 4. I'm gonna take a few days off before I start 2 cause I hope my PS2 component cables come in the mail next week.

It was interesting playing that rail shooting sequence. It really reminded me of Binary Domain.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Samurai Sanders posted:

The intermediate results are...not so surprising.

edit: after spending her entire childhood surrounded by the manliest men ever, how could Haruka NOT grow up into a hard-boiled gangster slayer?

Aw, but Date and Rikiya are 11th and 12th :unsmith:

Voting Arai and Kido every day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Haha, everyone shits on Tanimura.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
http://operationrainfall.com/vote-to-localize-sega-konami-polls/

Operation Rainfall has entered a partnership with Language Automation Inc, a game localization company, and put up a couple polls consisting of several currently Japan only games. Language Automation is going to offer to localize the winner of each poll to the company that owns said game at a discounted price. There's a Konami and a Sega poll, and both Yakuza 5 and Yakuza HD Collection are a part of the Sega poll. At the moment Valkyria Chronicles 3 is winning at 1,129 votes, with Yakuza 5 in second at 479. The Yakuza HD Collection is in fourth/last at 118 votes, behind Shining Hearts' 453.

There's no guarantee either of the companies would accept the offers, but there's no reason not to vote!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TechnoSyndrome posted:

http://operationrainfall.com/vote-to-localize-sega-konami-polls/

Operation Rainfall has entered a partnership with Language Automation Inc, a game localization company, and put up a couple polls consisting of several currently Japan only games. Language Automation is going to offer to localize the winner of each poll to the company that owns said game at a discounted price. There's a Konami and a Sega poll, and both Yakuza 5 and Yakuza HD Collection are a part of the Sega poll. At the moment Valkyria Chronicles 3 is winning at 1,129 votes, with Yakuza 5 in second at 479. The Yakuza HD Collection is in fourth/last at 118 votes, behind Shining Hearts' 453.

There's no guarantee either of the companies would accept the offers, but there's no reason not to vote!
VC3? What the hell, that is...not a very good game. It tried hard but was held back for most of the same reasons 2 was, and reuses countless assets from 2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

What? Why are they voting for Valkyria Chronicles 3?! It's being fan translated! Go for something with no chance like Y1&2 HD or a Shining game!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Policenaut posted:

What? Why are they voting for Valkyria Chronicles 3?! It's being fan translated! Go for something with no chance like Y1&2 HD or a Shining game!

Wait what?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess people who are ignorant of that, ignorant of how bad VC3 is, and ignorant of how awesome Yakuza 5 is, are the people who are voting.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Arbite posted:

Wait what?

Yeah, it's seriously a thing even if it's taking awhile to get there.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Why would you go for 1&2 HD? A) You can obviously still play the originals in English, and B) why would Sega be willing to pay a third party to translate the games when they're already translated?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I figured that PSP games at this point were kind of in the past, since we're over a year in to the Vita. I mean, Yakuza 5 is PS3, present-generation. Translating and releasing a PSP title on the PSN wouldn't be as profitable, I'd think.

But then again, Yakuza 5 is probably a behemoth to localize :psyduck: Hmm.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Geop posted:

I figured that PSP games at this point were kind of in the past, since we're over a year in to the Vita. I mean, Yakuza 5 is PS3, present-generation. Translating and releasing a PSP title on the PSN wouldn't be as profitable, I'd think.

But then again, Yakuza 5 is probably a behemoth to localize :psyduck: Hmm.

You'd be surprised to learn that people still actively localize PSP games. Most of the companies doing it are basically vultures but the idea now is basically "Hey we localized this PSP game, play it on your Vita!".

unl33t posted:

Why would you go for 1&2 HD? A) You can obviously still play the originals in English, and B) why would Sega be willing to pay a third party to translate the games when they're already translated?

I'd kind of like to play Yakuza 1 with the proper Japanese voice track, really. That's all.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I wish they would at least localize a PSP game that was any good, like the Persona 2: Eternal Punishment remake.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Policenaut posted:

I'd kind of like to play Yakuza 1 with the proper Japanese voice track, really. That's all.

I would as well, but given the choice between that and getting to play Yakuza 5-that's not even a choice to me. And, again; I'd say Sega pretty much has all the assets they need to localize those games I think the chance of them paying a third party to do it are incredibly slim.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

:frogc00l: Yakuza 5 is now in the lead on that poll! Fingers be crossed.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Oh god don't toy with my heart Sega :ohdear:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

VOTE VOTE VOOOOTE

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

I need Yakuza 5 in my life!!!! Vote goddammit. Vote!

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Put in my vote for Yakuza 5, although I do hope the HD Collection is released over here for completionist's sake. And because I haven't played them yet. :)

VOTE DAMNIT

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yakuza 5 now has a 500 vote lead :woop:

Also that Konami game "Beyond the Labyrinth" sounds really cool, but it's losing.

It'd be funny if Yakuza 5 wins and that prompts SEGA to say "Actually we've been localizing it for a while now, we just didn't feel like announcing it yet".

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

precision posted:

It'd be funny if Yakuza 5 wins and that prompts SEGA to say "Actually we've been localizing it for a while now, we just didn't feel like announcing it yet".
My only hope is Sega announcing it at TGS come September.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If Yakuza 5 does win, and Sega is already localizing it, maybe they'll offer to localize another Yakuza game instead. We still need Black Panther and Kenzan, god dammit! :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

If Yakuza 5 does win, and Sega is already localizing it, maybe they'll offer to localize another Yakuza game instead. We still need Black Panther and Kenzan, god dammit! :(
I figured they couldn't do Kenzan because it's pre-trophy.

It's also still the best Yakuza game if you ask me. Besides the unique setting, and Haruka being badass, having weapons be actual meaningful things instead of disposable damage sticks means the world.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm 2 hours in Yakuza 2 for the first time and boy what a huge production jump from Y1. Also, that baby at the beginning is Tanimura, right? I kinda regret playing Yakuza 4 before all the other ones now. I might play the story plus of 4 once I finish Y3 then move on to...gasp....Dead Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Housh posted:

I'm 2 hours in Yakuza 2 for the first time and boy what a huge production jump from Y1. Also, that baby at the beginning is Tanimura, right? I kinda regret playing Yakuza 4 before all the other ones now. I might play the story plus of 4 once I finish Y3 then move on to...gasp....Dead Souls.

None of the Y4 player characters aside from Kiryu even existed before Y4, so no. Also, it's a Yakuza plot, so you're not thinking crazy enough.

• Locked thread