Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Doesn't prove anything, it's just an amazing statistic if true. How much organization was done online, or did people just kind of see the news reports and show up?

On another subject, US Arms are showing up amongst pro-Assad groups. Oops!

Good to see that the Iraqi army is making some profitable black market deals off the US arms they are getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The only protests where the count is really effective (in the US) is General Strikes - like what we saw at the Port of Oakland a couple years back. But I'm fairly certain agitating for a general strike is borderline terrorism.

In the Bush era I think many Iraq Protesters bought the line that the media is reality. I think many still think in this way, and just assume that they don't have enough 'mojo' to affect change. If one mass rally failed, why try again?

The size of the USA makes her governance very different from her Eurasian allies. On one hand the size of the country makes it difficult to manage (like the effects of a gridlocked congress on foreign policy/treaties/aid) on the other hand something like the mass rallies of Tahrir affecting all 50 states is unimaginable.

You kill more flies with honey than with vinegar.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Gen. Ripper posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean, how does it matter if people were part of the organizational effort or just joined in after the protests started?

Please, relax. I'm interested in tactics, I'm not criticizing anyone. I'm asking what the primary avenues were for mobilizing people because I want to learn what works best in what circumstances.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
It is worth noting that Iran makes their own in-house versions of all this stuff http://www.diomil.ir/en/aig.aspx?search_id=ass556

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Something I don't understand, why is Saudi Arabia bankrolling the Sunni jihadists in Syria but also propping up the secular military government in Egypt? Qatar was loving pissed that the Muslim Brotherhood got ousted, but there was a Saudi princess on RT making the deafeningly ironic statement that Islamic groups had no place in government. Both Qatar and Saudi Arabia have good relations with the US, both are bankrolling their branch of Islam in Syria, so what's with the dichotomy there?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Aurubin posted:

Both Qatar and Saudi Arabia have good relations with the US, both are bankrolling their branch of Islam in Syria, so what's with the dichotomy there?
It's a classical regional rivalry. Also see: them fighting over Yemen's oil (where Quatar also allied with the local Muslim Brotherhood).

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Aurubin posted:

Something I don't understand, why is Saudi Arabia bankrolling the Sunni jihadists in Syria but also propping up the secular military government in Egypt? Qatar was loving pissed that the Muslim Brotherhood got ousted, but there was a Saudi princess on RT making the deafeningly ironic statement that Islamic groups had no place in government. Both Qatar and Saudi Arabia have good relations with the US, both are bankrolling their branch of Islam in Syria, so what's with the dichotomy there?

Saudi Arabia apparently uses these things like Syria to ship their extremists off to do something useful/die. Also if I remember rightly the Saudi Royal family is pretty divided and all over the place at times.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Doesn't prove anything, it's just an amazing statistic if true. How much organization was done online, or did people just kind of see the news reports and show up?

I'm not entirely sure of the logistics. If I had to speculate, I'd say it was a combination of both. A core group of activisits organized things, likely online and off, and things just sort of snowballed organically from there. I don't see how it would be possibly to organize that many people. (I believe the count was 15 million?)

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

OwlBot 2000 posted:

On another subject, US Arms are showing up amongst pro-Assad groups. Oops!

quote:

Many of the U.S. weapons in the hands of pro-Assad militia could have reached the black market after a major U.S. sales to Iraq in 2009, said Christopher Harmer, a senior analyst at the Institute for the Study of War. Almost 10 years of fighting there left thousands of loose weapons floating around Iraq and available for sale on the black market.

The U.S. sale included 80,000 M-16s, 25,000 M-4s and 2,550 M-203 grenade launchers, according to an announcement Dec. 9, 2009, by the Defense Security Cooperation Agency.

Not really much of an 'oops', weapons are going to get inevitably resold, or captured, etc. It's not very game changing either given that pro-Assad forces have never really dealt with much of a weapons shortage, now they just have a bit more diversity in their arsenal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Aurubin posted:

It's wealthy individuals in Saudi Arabia that bankroll the jihadists in Syria. The government supports the SNC, and focuses on co-opting that organization with Saudi interests. It's two separate, wealthy groups with two different agendas. The only thing they have in common is that they act within Saudi Arabia.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I updated the SAclopedia entry but nobody reads those, so for anyone who's interested it looks like Caro is now officially missing, last seen in Syria.

I don't know why they apparently only added him last month or how the FBI chooses people for the list in the first place.

Hope they find him safe somewhere.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
drat, he actually went.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't he get found out the last time he was trying to go over? He has to be on a no-fly list or something by now. I really hope he didn't stumble his way back into the ME. He got really lucky in Libya.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I thought Caro got busted by Turkish border police and deported to the US.

Regarding the US weapons found in Syria- Lebanon, Jordan, and as pointed out- Iraq have all received M pattern weapons in the past decade. They could have come from anywhere. That being said, the Iranian M4 clone is interesting; I thought they only used AK pattern rifles.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

suboptimal posted:

Regarding the US weapons found in Syria- Lebanon, Jordan, and as pointed out- Iraq have all received M pattern weapons in the past decade. They could have come from anywhere. That being said, the Iranian M4 clone is interesting; I thought they only used AK pattern rifles.

Take advantage of NATO rounds as well as old Warsaw Pact rounds?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aurubin posted:

Take advantage of NATO rounds as well as old Warsaw Pact rounds?

This makes sense.

suboptimal posted:

I would hate to think of Caro finding a Patron after being deported and putting himself on someone's radar. Is there any proof he was back in California?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

His last facebook post is late september.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McDowell posted:

This makes sense.

Also remember the US relationship before the revolution, the Shah got a very generous military aid package.

It's why the modern Iranian military is hodge-podge of both Warsaw Pact and NATO weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_of_the_Iranian_Army

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
This pisses me off so much: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/07/2013710113522489801.html

Obama congratulated Morsi on winning a fair election then turns around and then secretly funded oppositions groups run by people with terrible rights records. A fund designed to promote democracy was used to fund opposition groups who proceed to overthrow the democracy. Is there any way to rescind a Nobel Peace Prize?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

We'd been funding those same groups under George W. Bush's administration while any challenge to Mubarak's regime was still in its crib. Remember who owns AJ and why they might be pissed about Morsi's ouster.

Also, any pro-democracy funding we gave to opposition groups is far, far far outstripped by what the US has given the military, who have always been the dominant actors even if they don't advertise it openly.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

MEPI, NED, and USAID are very public and generally good programs that fund a lot of important projects in the region. I've worked for organizations that have received funding from a couple of them before. That author has a very clear slant. Much of DRL's focus is on documenting human rights abuses around the world, it's hardly a secret fund for democracy. NSF (or "the salvation front") is an oppositon movemnt with Elbaradei, Amr Moussa and Sabahi. And yes, they participated in street protests, some of which turned violent.

It links to an article with a tweet from an activist that essentially says mosques should stop talking about the constitution as evidence of "laying siege to mosques" and then cites a protest/riot from 3 months later as evidence that it had an effect.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

suboptimal posted:

Pictures I've seen of Iranian military are generally with G3s.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The-Mole posted:

They've had licence to build their own G3s since the Shah times.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The-Mole posted:

They've been looking to move to this cheap-looking bullpup called the Khaybar that fires 5.56mm NATO and takes STANAG magazines. From what I remember, it's really just a S-5.56 in a bullpup casing, an AR-15 copy that was licensed from Norinco's own CQ AR clone. All it's fire controls are in the rear of the weapon, because they didn't bother to design a rod or redesign the selector-safety switch so it can be used with the firing hand.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Xandu posted:

USAID [is a] very public and generally good program.

Isn't it well established and documented that USAID has been consistently used as (a) a cover for clandestine American activity, including outright violence and (b) to funnel money into factions friendly to American interests? The humanitarian portion of it seems to be a veneer in light of what the organization is used for, even if there are plenty of well-meaning people working there.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn't it well established and documented that USAID has been consistently used as (a) a cover for clandestine American activity, including outright violence and (b) to funnel money into factions friendly to American interests? The humanitarian portion of it seems to be a veneer in light of what the organization is used for, even if there are plenty of well-meaning people working there.

USAID has never, ever even slightly or indirectly funded freedom fighters in Latin America. And we all know what freedom fighters fight.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Vernii posted:

Not really much of an 'oops', weapons are going to get inevitably resold, or captured, etc. It's not very game changing either given that pro-Assad forces have never really dealt with much of a weapons shortage, now they just have a bit more diversity in their arsenal.

There have been "Western" arms used by groups in the region for some time now, most notably featured in Syria by Hezbollah. China's Norinco builds clones of drat near any successful rifle on the planet and sells them pretty indiscriminately, to the point they were banned from sales to the US after attempting an 80s-action-movie "sell a cargo ship full of full-auto AKs to FBI agents pretending to be the LA gangs - don't forget to ask them if they want tanks and MANPADS!" deal. Using something that isn't a lovely AK is actually a bit of a status symbol.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

From the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/11/world/middleeast/improvements-in-egypt-suggest-a-campaign-that-undermined-morsi.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

quote:

Sudden Improvements in Egypt Suggest a Campaign to Undermine Morsi

CAIRO — The streets seethe with protests and government ministers are on the run or in jail, but since the military ousted President Mohamed Morsi, life has somehow gotten better for many people across Egypt: Gas lines have disappeared, power cuts have stopped and the police have returned to the street.

The apparently miraculous end to the crippling energy shortages, and the re-emergence of the police, seems to show that the legions of personnel left in place after former President Hosni Mubarak was ousted in 2011 played a significant role — intentionally or not — in undermining the overall quality of life under the Islamist administration of Mr. Morsi.

And as the interim government struggles to unite a divided nation, the Muslim Brotherhood and Mr. Morsi’s supporters say the sudden turnaround proves that their opponents conspired to make Mr. Morsi fail. Not only did police officers seem to disappear, but the state agencies responsible for providing electricity and ensuring gas supplies failed so fundamentally that gas lines and rolling blackouts fed widespread anger and frustration.

“This was preparing for the coup,” said Naser el-Farash, who served as the spokesman for the Ministry of Supply and Internal Trade under Mr. Morsi. “Different circles in the state, from the storage facilities to the cars that transport petrol products to the gas stations, all participated in creating the crisis.”

Working behind the scenes, members of the old establishment, some of them close to Mr. Mubarak and the country’s top generals, also helped finance, advise and organize those determined to topple the Islamist leadership, including Naguib Sawiris, a billionaire and an outspoken foe of the Brotherhood; Tahani El-Gebali, a former judge on the Supreme Constitutional Court who is close to the ruling generals; and Shawki al-Sayed, a legal adviser to Ahmed Shafik, Mr. Mubarak’s last prime minister, who lost the presidential race to Mr. Morsi.

But it is the police returning to the streets that offers the most blatant sign that the institutions once loyal to Mr. Mubarak held back while Mr. Morsi was in power. Throughout his one-year tenure, Mr. Morsi struggled to appease the police, even alienating his own supporters rather than trying to overhaul the Interior Ministry. But as crime increased and traffic clogged roads — undermining not only the quality of life, but the economy — the police refused to deploy fully.

Until now.

White-clad officers have returned to Cairo’s streets, and security forces — widely despised before and after the revolution — intervened with tear gas and shotguns against Islamists during widespread street clashes last week, leading anti-Morsi rioters to laud them as heroes. Posters have gone up around town showing a police officer surrounded by smiling children over the words “Your security is our mission, your safety our goal.”

“You had officers and individuals who were working under a specific policy that was against Islamic extremists and Islamists in general,” said Ihab Youssef, a retired police officer who runs a professional association for the security forces. “Then all of a sudden the regime flips and there is an Islamic regime ruling. They could never psychologically accept that.”

When Mr. Mubarak was removed after nearly 30 years in office in 2011, the bureaucracy he built stayed largely in place. Many business leaders, also a pillar of the old government, retained their wealth and influence.

Despite coming to power through the freest elections in Egyptian history, Mr. Morsi was unable to extend his authority over the sprawling state apparatus, and his allies complained that what they called the “deep state” was undermining their efforts at governing.

While he failed to broaden his appeal and build any kind of national consensus, he also faced an active campaign by those hostile to his leadership, including some of the wealthiest and most powerful pillars of the Mubarak era.

Mr. Sawiris, one of Egypt’s richest men and a titan of the old establishment, said Wednesday that he had supported an upstart group called “tamarrod,” Arabic for “rebellion,” that led a petition drive seeking Mr. Morsi’s ouster. He donated use of the nationwide offices and infrastructure of the political party he built, the Free Egyptians. He provided publicity through his popular television network and his major interest in Egypt’s largest private newspaper. He even commissioned the production of a popular music video that played heavily on his network.

“Tamarrod did not even know it was me!” he said. “I am not ashamed of it.”

He said he had publicly predicted that ousting Mr. Morsi would bolster Egypt’s sputtering economy because it would bring in billions of dollars in aid from oil-rich monarchies afraid that the Islamist movement might spread to their shores. By Wednesday, a total of $12 billion had flowed in from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait. “That will take us for 12 months with no problem,” Mr. Sawiris said.

Ms. Gebali, the former judge, said in a telephone interview on Wednesday that she and other legal experts helped tamarrod create its strategy to appeal directly to the military to oust Mr. Morsi and pass the interim presidency to the chief of the constitutional court.

“We saw that there was movement and popular creativity, so we wanted to see if it would have an effect and a constitutional basis,” Ms. Gebali said.

Mr. Farash, the trade ministry spokesman under Mr. Morsi, attributed the fuel shortages to black marketers linked to Mr. Mubarak, who diverted shipments of state-subsidized fuel to sell for a profit abroad. Corrupt officials torpedoed Mr. Morsi’s introduction of a smart card system to track fuel shipments by refusing to use the devices, he said.

But not everyone agreed with that interpretation, as supporters of the interim government said the improvements in recent days were a reflection of Mr. Morsi’s incompetence, not a conspiracy. State news media said energy shortages occurred because consumers bought extra fuel out of fear, which appeared to evaporate after Mr. Morsi’s fall. On Wednesday, Al Ahram, the flagship newspaper, said the energy grid had had a surplus in the past week for the first time in months, thanks to “energy-saving measures by the public.”

“I feel like Egypt is back,” Ayman Abdel-Hakam, a criminal court judge from a Cairo suburb, said after waiting only a few minutes to fill up his car at a downtown gas station. He accused Mr. Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood of trying to seize all state power and accused them of creating the fuel crisis by exporting gasoline to Hamas, the militant Islamic group in the Gaza Strip.

“We had a disease, and we got rid of it,” Mr. Abdel-Hakam said.

Ahmed Nabawi, a gas station manager, said he had heard several reasons for the gas crisis: technical glitches at a storage facility, a shipment of low-quality gas from abroad and unnecessary stockpiling by the public. Still, he was amazed at how quickly the crisis disappeared.

“We went to sleep one night, woke up the next day, and the crisis was gone,” he said, casually sipping tea in his office with his colleagues.

Regardless of the reasons behind the crisis, he said, Mr. Morsi’s rule had not helped.

“No one wanted to cooperate with his people because they didn’t accept him,” he said. “Now that he is gone, they are working like they’re supposed to.”

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Is NYT really surprised or just feigning it?

Will they also be surprised at the instantaneous availability of scarce goods if a US friendly regime takes over in Venezuela?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is NYT really surprised or just feigning it?

Will they also be surprised at the instantaneous availability of scarce goods if a US friendly regime takes over in Venezuela?

Yeah the CIA is causing scarcity in Venezuela...

Not sure what your problem is with the news story, but I will say that this fake crisis doesn't mean there aren't real potential issues with fuel availability with Egypt.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xandu posted:

Not sure what your problem is with the news story, but I will say that this fake crisis doesn't mean there aren't real potential issues with fuel availability with Egypt.

While most of the Morsi trainwreck does sound inflicted, it's not surprising that many other parties such as ultra-wealthy Egyptians had a big financial interest in helping the process along given how Islamist takeover fears could impact things such as foreign aid from the Gulf States/West.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Xandu posted:

Not the CIA, but there certainly are people who were involved with the Business Strike/Oil Strike and the 2002 Coup who have the ability and incentive to do whatever they can do destabilize PSUV. Are there issues of demand pull inflation due to poor people being able to buy things for the first time? Absolutely, but it's not the only factor at work.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

etalian posted:

While most of the Morsi trainwreck does sound inflicted, it's not surprising that many other parties such as ultra-wealthy Egyptians had a big financial interest in helping the process along given how Islamist takeover fears could impact things such as foreign aid from the Gulf States/West.

I'll agree here. Isolated from the context, Morsi's government was not a healthy entity for these reasons. And considering the overtures the Muslim Brotherhood was making in regards to the region, and their "guns and moltovs" approach to protesting, was not good for Egypt. But considering the police are suddenly back on the street and the lights are working again, yeah that's suspect. It remains to be seen if the transitional government and the potential official one after will merely be a puppet regime for Al-Sisi and the army, or if they'll be content with their slice of the pie. Still, the larger problem of increasing population combined with scant resources is a problem I can't see being fixed in the interim, and that is frightening for a nation the size of Egypt.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
If the world was a videogame, lots of people and not too many resources means you need to expand to get them resources.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aurubin posted:

Still, the larger problem of increasing population combined with scant resources is a problem I can't see being fixed in the interim, and that is frightening for a nation the size of Egypt.

Yeah I don't see much hope for Egypt over the long term since things such as focusing more on renewable energy/energy conservation or reducing the population growth rate would require big financial investment.

The military is another problem given how it chews up a good amount of GNP at 3.56% and is more in line with a self-interest focused powerful Praetorian guard.

Egypt also lacks the means to replicate successful economic models such as a Germany style export focused economy, Asian Tiger model or a diversified knowledge/export economy like the US.

etalian fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 11, 2013

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Aurubin posted:

I'll agree here. Isolated from the context, Morsi's government was not a healthy entity for these reasons. And considering the overtures the Muslim Brotherhood was making in regards to the region, and their "guns and moltovs" approach to protesting, was not good for Egypt. But considering the police are suddenly back on the street and the lights are working again, yeah that's suspect. It remains to be seen if the transitional government and the potential official one after will merely be a puppet regime for Al-Sisi and the army, or if they'll be content with their slice of the pie. Still, the larger problem of increasing population combined with scant resources is a problem I can't see being fixed in the interim, and that is frightening for a nation the size of Egypt.

The police aren't just "suspect," they were completely open about their anti-Morsi activity. Before his ousting an article quoted a police chief threatening retaliation against officers protecting the Muslim Brotherhood. Their political activity is well documented.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Squalid posted:

The police aren't just "suspect," they were completely open about their anti-Morsi activity. Before his ousting an article quoted a police chief threatening retaliation against officers protecting the Muslim Brotherhood. Their political activity is well documented.

Oh no I agree, all the old civil infrastructure hated Morsi. I just have a hard time feeling bad about that. If it leads to something worse, my feelings will change.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Yeah it will be interesting if any evidence of organized manipulation of fuel and power supplies turns up. I wonder if the military has any control over the energy grid or gas reserves?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Aurubin posted:

Oh no I agree, all the old civil infrastructure hated Morsi. I just have a hard time feeling bad about that. If it leads to something worse, my feelings will change.

Just wait until the IMF gets their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Just wait until the IMF gets their way.

It's back to business as usual with the military being the most powerful political force and friends overseas getting their way with the country (IMF, Gulf states and USA).

• Locked thread