Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

In vanilla there isnt an empire a Baltic (Lithuanian/Prussian/Lettigallian) character can form :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
You can form the Wendish Empire, it's the kingdoms of Pomerania, Bohemia, Poland, and Lithuania.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BillBear posted:

That's the only time a high learning stat will save your rear end.

I think a high learning stat is better than ever before. If at least a few of your rulers have a high learning stat then you can really get a leg up in the tech race.

SolidMumu
Feb 23, 2012
Crusader Kings 2 and all DLC except The Old Gods is 50% off for the duration of the Steam Summer Sale, which ends July 29th!Perfect time to start another Dynastic Quest of Glory...as an Islamic ruler. (drat, I was far behind in DLC)
Hopefully, The Old Gods will go on a flash sale at the exact moment I finish this Islamic run. I've got some serious work cut out for me though due to the fact that I have 150 hours in vanilla CK2, only playing Catholics.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203770/?snr=1_5_9__400

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
Anyone else think that a sister/daughter being taken into concubinage ought to make for a CB? Richard the Lionheart stomped all over parts of Southern Italy on his way to the third crusade because his sister was kidnapped by the new king of Sicily after her husband, the old king, died childless. IF it worked for Richard the Lionheart it oughta work for CKII. :colbert:

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
It's often best to wait to see if the game and DLC will show up as a Daily Deal, as those are even more discounted. If, by the end of the sale, it hasn't been a daily, then it won't get any cheaper and you can buy it then, knowing you got the best deal for it throughout the whole sale.

Seeing as I'm posting here, I might as well say that I started playing this game properly a couple of days ago, having owned it for ages but being previously turned away by the learning curve. Playing the tutorials, reading the old tutorial LP and skimming the thread has really helped me get my head around the game, and I mostly know what I am doing now (at least for the vanilla game), so thank you everyone for all of that.

I'm still on my first game, where I started as the Duke of Munster. I managed to form the Kingdom of Ireland with my first guy (although he did die a few years later), and by my third ruler I'd even conquered most of Wales, and Jerusalem as part of a crusade; somehow my odd 10,000 men managed to contribute more than the other parties involved, even though quite a few people showed up with massive armies. My current ruler had a short regency period where his uncles hated his guts and looked like they might revolt, but he survived through that just fine, although I did have to give up some personal holdings to bring down the demense size. He grew up with a ridiculous diplomatic score, and now everyone loves him (except his brothers), even though I implemented Max Vassal Levies and Harsh City Laws (and am on Medium Crown Authority).

Once I grew confident with the interface and most of the game concepts, it's not actually been all that challenging, so I've taken more to role-playing my characters a bit more and make non-optimal decisions based on traits. I'm guessing Ireland is generally isolated enough to not come under threat often from external powers, and that once I get a bad ruler, or make some bad decisions, there might be more stuff for me to deal with? I'm also considering giving CK2+ a try once I've played a few more vanilla games.

Anyway, that's been the story of my game so far. I do actually have some questions about things that I still find confusing.

1. Egypt has declared two holy wars on me to try and claim back land from the Kingdom of Jerusalem, which I control after the last crusade. I lost the first one and had to surrender the Duchy of Galillee, but I managed to win the second, despite being horribly outnumbered - Holy Orders really can make a massive difference!

In both the wars, my long-standing ally of Scotland (I have a kinsman married to the Queen from couple of generations ago; the Queen also seems to be living forever so she's been a pretty reliable ally) offered to help me out, but after raising her troops, they just stand around in my Irish territories and don't move anywhere. If I have armies raised myself, her armies will follow me around, but as soon as I put them on a boat, even if the fleet is large enough to carry both our troops, they stay there. In the first war, they did eventually just show up in Holy Land, but I wasn't able to see where they came from, but by then it was too late to help, and in the second war, they never moved out of Ireland. Is this the AI bugging out, trying to "defend" my Irish territories, even though the enemy never came close to it, or is it unable to use fleets properly? Can I tell them to accompany my troops on my boats or at least get them to make their own way over?

Also, despite being a holy war, no one else really showed any interest in helping - is there a way to get a crusade-type call for arms, in which the Pope calls up other Catholic nations to come help me defend the Kingdom of Jerusalem? I have a ten year truce now, but I'm sure as soon as that expires, I'm going to be attacked again, and this would be useful to know for the future.

2. I've had a plot to kill some Viking leader who just loves to raid my territory sitting at over 200% for ages now, but it hasn't fired yet. Are there other things that determine the chance of plot events firing, apart from the plot power? I know I won't accomplish anything by actually killing him, but it will make me feel better when he's dead :)

3. I'm on medium crown authority, but the vassals of my vassal the Duke of Lancaster, seem to love rising up in rebellion against him for a variety of reasons. Him having seized ex-Duchess's last county holding within the Duchy probably hasn't helped. As I was the one who originally deposed the old Duchess (who was part of the Kingdom of England, which has since fragmented into civil war) and put him in charge, I was happy that he did that, as I was planning of finding a way of doing it myself, and generally I want to support him and make sure he keeps his Dukedom. However, there seems to be no way for me to get involved in any of the conflicts at all. I understand that it is my vassal's problem to deal with, but as the king I would have thought I could at least indirectly provide him with some of my personal levies, or tell some of his opponents to knock it off. He has done pretty fine without my help so far, but I was wondering if there's anything more that I could do.

4. Is there a way for me to decide which Kingdom a certain territory falls into? The aforementioned Duchy of Lancaster has been incorporated into the Kingdom of Ireland, even though I've also formed the Kingdom of Wales, which sits right next to it. I know it would not be a good idea to have it as part of the Kingdom of Wales, and I don't particularly want to do it, but I was just wondering if there is anyway I could move it there. I'm still in charge of Wales myself, I have not given it to anyone.

5. Finally, is there any good reason to form additional kingdoms, apart from the prestige benefit, if you are not an Emperor? I just did it back when I was still learning the game, and I just wanted to "Can Form Title" button to go away (as well as gain de jure claims on Cornwall and Devon), but my Welsh Dukes are generally the most difficult to keep happy, as they REALLY want control of the Kingdom for themselves. So far, it's not been a major problem, but I'm guessing it's probably best to hold off creating additional Kingdom titles until later?

6. Once I've finished my current game, or get bored of not losing, I still want to play my next game somewhere in the British Isles, before moving to other areas. Are there any recommendations for any particularly interesting Scottish or English characters? Seeing how often England breaks out into civil war in my current game, that might be especially challenging and interesting to play.

Sorry for the massive post, but I've seen a few in this thread before, so I hope it's not too much of a problem.

Thanks for any answers!!

londonmoose fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 12, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

londonmoose posted:

Anyway, that's been the story of my game so far. I do actually have some questions about things that I still find confusing.

1. Egypt has declared two holy wars on me to try and claim back land from the Kingdom of Jerusalem, which I control after the last crusade. I lost the first one and had to surrender the Duchy of Galillee, but I managed to win the second, despite being horribly outnumbered - Holy Orders really can make a massive difference!

In both the wars, my long-standing ally of Scotland (I have a kinsman married to the Queen from couple of generations ago; the Queen also seems to be living forever so she's been a pretty reliable ally) offered to help me out, but after raising her troops, they just stand around in my Irish territories and don't move anywhere. If I have armies raised myself, her armies will follow me around, but as soon as I put them on a boat, even if the fleet is large enough to carry both our troops, they stay there. In the first war, they did eventually just show up in Holy Land, but I wasn't able to see where they came from, but by then it was too late to help, and in the second war, they never moved out of Ireland. Is this the AI bugging out, trying to "defend" my Irish territories, even though the enemy never came close to it, or is it unable to use fleets properly? Can I tell them to accompany my troops on my boats or at least get them to make their own way over?

Also, despite being a holy war, no one else really showed any interest in helping - is there a way to get a crusade-type call for arms, in which the Pope calls up other Catholic nations to come help me defend the Kingdom of Jerusalem? I have a ten year truce now, but I'm sure as soon as that expires, I'm going to be attacked again, and this would be useful to know for the future.

2. I've had a plot to kill some Viking leader who just loves to raid my territory sitting at over 200% for ages now, but it hasn't fired yet. Are there other things that determine the chance of plot events firing, apart from the plot power? I know I won't accomplish anything by actually killing him, but it will make me feel better when he's dead :)

3. I'm on medium crown authority, but the vassals of my vassal the Duke of Lancaster, seem to love rising up in rebellion against him for a variety of reasons. Him having seized ex-Duchess's last county holding within the Duchy probably hasn't helped. As I was the one who originally deposed the old Duchess (who was part of the Kingdom of England, which has since fragmented into civil war) and put him in charge, I was happy that he did that, as I was planning of finding a way of doing it myself, and generally I want to support him and make sure he keeps his Dukedom. However, there seems to be no way for me to get involved in any of the conflicts at all. I understand that it is my vassal's problem to deal with, but as the king I would have thought I could at least indirectly provide him with some of my personal levies, or tell some of his opponents to knock it off. He has done pretty fine without my help so far, but I was wondering if there's anything more that I could do.

4. Is there a way for me to decide which Kingdom a certain territory falls into? The aforementioned Duchy of Lancaster has been incorporated into the Kingdom of Ireland, even though I've also formed the Kingdom of Wales, which sits right next to it. I know it would not be a good idea to have it as part of the Kingdom of Wales, and I don't particularly want to do it, but I was just wondering if there is anyway I could move it there. I'm still in charge of Wales myself, I have not given it to anyone.

5. Finally, is there any good reason to form additional kingdoms, apart from the prestige benefit, if you are not an Emperor? I just did it back when I was still learning the game, and I just wanted to "Can Form Title" button to go away (as well as gain de jure claims on Cornwall and Devon), but my Welsh Dukes are generally the most difficult to keep happy, as they REALLY want control of the Kingdom for themselves. So far, it's not been a major problem, but I'm guessing it's probably best to hold off creating additional Kingdom titles until later?

6. Once I've finished my current game, or get bored of not losing, I still want to play my next game somewhere in the British Isles, before moving to other areas. Are there any recommendations for any particularly interesting Scottish or English characters? Seeing how often England breaks out into civil war in my current game, that might be especially challenging and interesting to play.

Sorry for the massive post, but I've seen a few in this thread before, so I hope it's not too much of a problem.

Thanks for any answers!!

1: They're defending Ireland because they can walk there from Scotland, and they can't walk to Jerusalem and are too lazy to raise boats.

Also, whenever you get holy warred, all nearby Catholics have the option to join in. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of Catholics near Jerusalem.

2: Plots have a higher chance to fire if you have more people backing them, and hardly ever fire unless you've got at least 3.

3: There isn't, really, but if the rebels actually win you're free to just reverse that. If they become independent from him, just transfer vassalage right back. If they depose him find a way to revoke the title of the new duke without pissing everyone off and hand it back to him.

4: I think every duchy with a de jure kingdom that has not formed falls under the primary title of whoever owns it. So if you want it to be under Wales, make Wales your primary title.

5: Well, you get prestige and you need to form kingdom titles to form an Empire, but otherwise it's really up to you.

6: If you've got Old Gods then Ivar the Boneless and Whiteshirt are both good choices. Otherwise I'd say go for the 1066 start and try your hand at one of the participants in the Norman Conquest. If you want easy, then the Count of Dublin in 1066 is basically the game's tutorial.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

1: They're defending Ireland because they can walk there from Scotland, and they can't walk to Jerusalem and are too lazy to raise boats.

Also, whenever you get holy warred, all nearby Catholics have the option to join in. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of Catholics near Jerusalem.

2: Plots have a higher chance to fire if you have more people backing them, and hardly ever fire unless you've got at least 3.

3: There isn't, really, but if the rebels actually win you're free to just reverse that. If they become independent from him, just transfer vassalage right back. If they depose him find a way to revoke the title of the new duke without pissing everyone off and hand it back to him.

4: I think every duchy with a de jure kingdom that has not formed falls under the primary title of whoever owns it. So if you want it to be under Wales, make Wales your primary title.

5: Well, you get prestige and you need to form kingdom titles to form an Empire, but otherwise it's really up to you.

6: If you've got Old Gods then Ivar the Boneless and Whiteshirt are both good choices. Otherwise I'd say go for the 1066 start and try your hand at one of the participants in the Norman Conquest. If you want easy, then the Count of Dublin in 1066 is basically the game's tutorial.

1. I figured it was something like that. drat lazy Scots, don't offer to help if you're not actually going to do anything! :scotland: :argh: And there's definitely no way to offer them to use my boats? I still don't even know how they made it over the first time. One moment they were hanging out in Ireland, and the next, they suddenly appeared outside of Acre, and I never saw any of their ships around.

2. I have about 5 backers, as well as the 200% plot power. I've had plots with much lower power fire a lot faster too. I know it's up to chance a lot, but I figured there would be a greater difference.

3. That's good to know.

4. I figured this out a few minutes ago and was going to edit my post. Thanks for clarifying that my thinking was correct.

5. Also good to know. I REALLY hate having any of the alerts on the top, so I tend to act on them if I can, even if I don't need to, hence I tend to form all the titles I can. It's got the potential to land me in trouble with pissed off dukes, but I guess that will just add in a bit of challenge anyway. I know I can hide them, but then they just show up in the side-bar.

6. I haven't got Old Gods yet, but I might pick it up if it goes on sale, along with the other DLC. I think I'll definitely try playing around with the Norman Conquest, although I read earlier in the thread that the William of Conqueror start became a lot more difficult as the result of army morale changes? Although I could always try some of the other characters involved. I might also try playing as the Earl/Duke (whichever it is by default) Lothian as well, as I've been living in Edinburgh for the last six years, and conquering the British Isles as Scotland seems like it would be a lot of fun!

Thanks for having taken the time to answer :)

londonmoose fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 12, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dauntasa posted:

They may actually not have enough boats to bring their whole stack over - I've seen that behaviour in those situations before. Unfortunately, you can't offer them your spare boats and I've never seen the AI hire mercenary fleets, soooo...

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

They may actually not have enough boats to bring their whole stack over - I've seen that behaviour in those situations before. Unfortunately, you can't offer them your spare boats and I've never seen the AI hire mercenary fleets, soooo...

Is there any way to see how many boats they can raise? As far I've been able to find, the realm screen only shows total troop numbers.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Apparently Paradox is a book publisher now, and published CKII fiction is A Thing.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 12, 2013

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Is there a list of the titular titles in Shattered World somewhere?

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
I didn't see this in the OP, but this dude has coded keyboard shortcuts all along the bottom row of the keyboard. Just watching this video has made my mouse weep with joy. Link to download can be found in the description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZsy__cp2eQ

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Anticheese posted:

Apparently Paradox is a book publisher now, and published CKII fiction is A Thing.

:stare:

Well, I can't wait to write about my King Edward the Cuckold.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Kodo posted:

I didn't see this in the OP, but this dude has coded keyboard shortcuts all along the bottom row of the keyboard. Just watching this video has made my mouse weep with joy. Link to download can be found in the description.

Seconding this. Arumba's keyboard shortcuts are literally the best thing.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I am a heavy savescummer and after a while things become less fun, so I thought about playing CKII "ironman" mode with CK+ Hard mode and no reloads. I picked the easy Karling choice, and after a huge rebellion that I would have otherwise just reloaded and only got through because of the other Karling kings, I got a call for help from the Byzantine Emperor to deal with his revolt. I did not remember having any alliance with him. Then I noticed that the Emperor is not Byzantine, but Latin, he is not only a Karling like me, but my grandson, more precisely my heir's heir. I married my son to the Duchess of Ungvar and didn't even realise that she somehow is related to the Byzantine Emperor who had like 9 daughters and one dead son and suddenly my grandson at the age of 2 was Latin Emperor and everyone down there was pissed at that Catholic kid and wanted to get rid of him. But they forgot that this kid was related to four Kings and a few years later I became that grandchild and got the Latin Empire without even planning for it. I wanted to form the HRE and gobble up the Karlings, dammit!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

See? Even when you're playing a Karling, you're thinking "man, gently caress the Karlings"!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

brocretin posted:

Seconding this. Arumba's keyboard shortcuts are literally the best thing.

Arumba is one of the best CK2 LPers out there. :allears:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Anticheese posted:

Welp, time to start my mega campaign. Gotta get a lot of material for the book series.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

londonmoose posted:

6. I haven't got Old Gods yet, but I might pick it up if it goes on sale, along with the other DLC. I think I'll definitely try playing around with the Norman Conquest, although I read earlier in the thread that the William of Conqueror start became a lot more difficult as the result of army morale changes? Although I could always try some of the other characters involved. I might also try playing as the Earl/Duke (whichever it is by default) Lothian as well, as I've been living in Edinburgh for the last six years, and conquering the British Isles as Scotland seems like it would be a lot of fun!

The Duke of Lothian is a pretty easy start, as you are easily the most powerful Duke in Scotland. It won't take you very long to scheme/war your way to the Scottish throne, and then it's just the usual British Isles technique of conquering Ireland and Wales until you are powerful enough to start on England.

If you want an actually difficult British character you need to get Old Gods and play as a Catholic in 867. Vikings everywhere, constant raids and invasions.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

marktheando posted:

If you want an actually difficult British character you need to get Old Gods and play as a Catholic in 867. Vikings everywhere, constant raids and invasions.

Play as one of the coastal Irish counts if you want a really difficult 867 British start.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What options are there in terms of formable Kingdoms are there for Norse players in Spain? Leon, Navarra, Galacia and Castille are all Christian only. I'm the Petty King of Leon and because I have no Kingdom title my demense limit is lower than it could be. Should I just obliterate Ireland or Wales and use that title instead? I'm barely hanging on to my Spanish lands. I own all of Leon, Navarra, Galacia and I'm pushing into Aragon. Having a real Kingdom title is rather imperative for me at this point since it's a 1066 start game and Norse is already on the ropes.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

YouTuber posted:

What options are there in terms of formable Kingdoms are there for Norse players in Spain? Leon, Navarra, Galacia and Castille are all Christian only. I'm the Petty King of Leon and because I have no Kingdom title my demense limit is lower than it could be. Should I just obliterate Ireland or Wales and use that title instead? I'm barely hanging on to my Spanish lands. I own all of Leon, Navarra, Galacia and I'm pushing into Aragon. Having a real Kingdom title is rather imperative for me at this point since it's a 1066 start game and Norse is already on the ropes.

You're pretty much poo poo out of luck I'm afraid, dude. I just took a quick look through landed_titles.txt and every single kingdom in Hispania either has a Christian religion requirement (often with other requirements, like Basque culture for Navarre), or requires Arabic culture (Andalusia only). You're probably gonna have to get a mod -- I'd recommend either running the Titular Titles Generator so you can create a kingdom from a lower duchy you hold, or grab this guy's mod which lets you create any kingdom (or empire) on the map if you control every single part of its de jure territory (including baronies).

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Cycloneman posted:

So, I'm playing as the Umayyads. The Aghlabids, sadly, took over Algiers, but then fortunately lost it in some succession crisis. So I go to look up the Moral Authority, curious if I have any hope of seeing them wind up as heretics. Moral Authority: 0%. What, I wonder, is the cause of this little misfortune? I look over the list of causes... seems like we have all the holy sites, are winning holy wars... what's the problem?

(check out his piety)

Probably he installed a toilet on top of the Kaaba.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Kodo posted:

e: Just noticed there was a part two to the video. I cannot wait to use this thing.

MrSaturday
May 1, 2012
What are the title/province naming/hey look something in my nation's language mods out there and what are the differences?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm horribly out of the loop after taking a break from this. For CK+ do I need all 4 main DLC? I picked a few up but I'm missing The Republic and The Old Gods.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

I'm horribly out of the loop after taking a break from this. For CK+ do I need all 4 main DLC? I picked a few up but I'm missing The Republic and The Old Gods.

I don't think you *need* any. Even if you don't have the DLC, the game has all the mechanics built in -- it just won't allow you to play any of the relevant characters. As evidenced by being able to see AI Norse go raiding, etc. The OP for its thread on the Paradox forum says "- CK2Plus is compatible with all CK2 DLC." which, to me, implies that it doesn't even warrant mentioning whether it works without the dlc.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Basically, if you don't have LoR nobody can use retinues. If you don't have TOG nobody can use the new technology system it introduced (the whole tech points thing as opposed to the CK1-esque "set a focus and pray" system).

Otherwise you're solid with or without any of the DLC, the AI will use all the other new mechanics for Muslims/Pagans/etc, you just won't be able to.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you don't have TOG nobody can use the new technology system it introduced (the whole tech points thing as opposed to the CK1-esque "set a focus and pray" system).

Pretty sure this is not true, I bought the game after TOG came out but didn't buy TOG itself until a week later, and I had the new tech system the whole time. I remember because I was confused why it looked nothing like the tech screen in Kersch's LP :)

No idea on the retinues front, though

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
I'm running vanilla CK2 with v1.103 and I can't for the life of me get any version of CK2+ to work. It either freezes up or outright crashes while loading. Anyone have any idea why?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Allyn posted:

Pretty sure this is not true, I bought the game after TOG came out but didn't buy TOG itself until a week later, and I had the new tech system the whole time. I remember because I was confused why it looked nothing like the tech screen in Kersch's LP :)

No idea on the retinues front, though

Oh, okay. I had heard in dev diaries that the tech system was a TOG exclusive but I bought TOG on launch day so I have no idea if they actually went through with that.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Captain Amerikkka posted:

I'm running vanilla CK2 with v1.103 and I can't for the life of me get any version of CK2+ to work. It either freezes up or outright crashes while loading. Anyone have any idea why?

Are you running the mod fix for it? I don't think CK2+ is compatible with 1.103 without it. Here's the post for it. If you do have it and it's still not working then I have no idea, sorry :(

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One thing I've started to wonder.

The game's version of the Crusades is, the Pope basically tells the Christian nations, "Hey, send troops to the Holy Land!" and so everybody does, and because interaction options are basically limited nobody actually communicates any ideas for strategy or how to effectively ally against the Islamic empires. In my experience it's always been "Go over there, win for a while, then the Muslims get their poo poo together and send a loving huge force and everyone dies and the warscore drops, but not enough that the Pope ever gives up or anything."

Is this how it actually happened? Because it would explain why history went the way it did.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Maxwell Lord posted:

The game's version of the Crusades is, the Pope basically tells the Christian nations, "Hey, send troops to the Holy Land!" and so everybody does, and because interaction options are basically limited nobody actually communicates any ideas for strategy or how to effectively ally against the Islamic empires. In my experience it's always been "Go over there, win for a while, then the Muslims get their poo poo together and send a loving huge force and everyone dies and the warscore drops, but not enough that the Pope ever gives up or anything."

Is this how it actually happened? Because it would explain why history went the way it did.

Yea pretty much, it was a bunch of private armies lead by all sorts of nobles. Obviously the ones who communicated with each other more were the 'successful' ones.

Kodo posted:

Whoah this is great, should be consider for the OP.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 13, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, more or less. Heck, even in the First Crusade, arguably the most successful crusade, there was a huge rivalry between the Northern French crusaders and the Southern French crusaders (which mimicked the overall division in the Kingdom of France at the time!) and the crusaders only really successfully made it to the Levant as a unified force thanks to the well respected Papal Legate the pope appointed. Once he promptly died... After the capture of Acre I think? Antioch maybe? Everything kind of flew off the handle.

That's how we got Edessa falling into crusader hands and the ridiculously independent duchy of Antioch and all sorts of fun stuff. A major reason why the First Crusade even succeeded was because the Caliphate was in a period of intense internal turmoil at the time and the Levant was considered a backwater province, which, really it was compared to the other, richer regions in Muslim hands!

Edit: There is a fun theory that one of the main reasons the crusades were initially called was to rid Europe of its hyper violent ruling class. Imagine, if you will, the mindset of men who are all their lives taught to kill and brought up to worship remarkably independent heroes who just rode around killing, cheating on their wives, then killing some more. The man-children that made up the knightly class at the dawn of the twelfth century were on the wrong end of history for many of the values they held dear, as the time that their kind (politically willful horsemen existing in a period of crazy lawlessness/decentralization) flourished moreso was in the 900s and prior! Europe, during the High and Late Middle Ages was trying its hardest to centralize and declaw the majority of its knightly class.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 13, 2013

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

londonmoose posted:

I don't know if this is in regular game, but in GoT mod you can command your subjects to stop their wars, and if they refuse you can brand them traitors and throw them in prison. I'd have to look around a bit to see if that works in vanilla though.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Okay, CK2+, I'm the Sunni Caliph and Emperor of Al-Andalus, ruling over a poo poo-ton of territory. Is there any good way to take over the rest of the Muslim world other than marrying my family members off to women from other royal families, waiting to get a weak claim, then stabbing the poo poo out of the local Emir/Sultan and taking it? The Conquest CB in CK2+ is just terribly useless once you start talking about things like "taking over all of Arabia", and the rest of the Muslim world is just covered in duchies, so stab-and-replace would take the next 500 years.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Some of these people were outright already in the market for expansion in the first place. The entire deal is the Byzantine Emperor Alexius send a plea to the West for troops so he could take back land lost to the Turks after Romanus lost the Battle of Manizkert (wasn't his fault, the guy lead a brilliant campaign but the nobles decided to go home and prepare for civil war instead of reinforcing him as they were told to do.) Alexius expects maybe a few thousand Infantry and few hundred Knights at best. He makes some pefunctory notions of repairing the Great Schism between Constantinople and Rome but almost all Emperors did this when talking to Rome.

Alexius gets the First Crusade instead of the few bonus troops he expected. Before the real armies arrive there is this pilgrimage type deal of tens of thousands of people. Alexius houses them and then sends them on their way towards Jerusalem via Anatolia. I believe this group felt they could just do missionary work and convert the Muslims. The Turks see this massive group coming and just ahhnilate them and shitloads get enslaved. Priest within the group write that the Byzantines are the worst of the worst Anti-christ nonsense since half of them were starving to death before the Turks even arrived to clean house. Anatolia is nearly impossible to cross with an army in this timeframe.

Another group in the area is Bohemund who is the son of Robert Guiscard (he is in CK2 as the Hauteville family. Robert is an interesting character because he started off as vagabond/raider who caught the eye of a local Lord in Lombardy. This guy thinks Robert is a good fighter and marries his daughter to him and lands him. Robert meets him later on after they have a falling out and captures him, yanks out one tooth at a time asking "where is the gold" eventually he gets his gold and kills the Lord and claims all his lands.

After he solidifies his control over the lands he starts expanding into Greece, actually fighting Emperor Alexius and making a run on Constantinople itself. Years later during the Crusade Bohemund comes down the same road with an army to intentionally infuriate Alexius. During the beginning of the Crusade the Byzantines let it be known that Antioch is theirs no matter what. But Bohemund decides otherwise and carves out his own domain there. Further eroding support for the venture by the Byzantine Empire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Antioch

But don't think it was a one way street. There was one instance of there being a joint siege on a castle by both the Empire and the Crusaders. Before dawn one of the Generals whips his army into a frenzy before they storm the city. Only when the sun is up do they now notice that the city has raised the Byzantine flag and cut the Crusaders out of the deal. The Empire promptly told the Crusaders to get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Yeah, I absolutely adore how utterly brutal land-hungry the Normans were in their various conquests. The sons of Vikings indeed!

The thing, though, that has always baffled me about the crusader states is how willingly ignorant their rulers strived to be in the face of reality. Like, as I understand it, the Kingdom of Jerusalem was a wildly unsustainable kingdom due in large part to the near constant deaths of its nobility. Now, sure they had a steady-ish stream of European freebooters who would make their way to the region, but, well they were capricious dickbags more bent on personal glory than actually making a lasting realm. See: Guy Lusignan.

Another large part why the crusader states died off, aside from pissing off the Byzantine Emperors, was because very few of their nobility were able to integrate into the land. You can't hope to remain a Christian outpost surrounded by the (rich, powerful) Islamic states, and you sure as gently caress can't hope for a kingdom when you treat the natives/native customs with disdain. I dunno, I take the pretty tragic life if Baldwin... IV? The leper king, to sum up why the kingdom could not continue. Native born men like him who were more used to the ways of the Levant were in too short supply because they kept on dying in pointless disputes only to be replaced with zealots clamping for war.

• Locked thread