Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So try as I might, Brave New World is not actually appearing in steam for me to purchase. Anywhere. Can't search for it or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You have to look under downloadable content in Civ V proper to see it.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Haha, joke's on you, pre-orderers!

In honor of my smart purchase, my first game will be with Venice.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

S.J. posted:

So try as I might, Brave New World is not actually appearing in steam for me to purchase. Anywhere. Can't search for it or anything.

It's on the front page.

ed

Or it was.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I just won my first real game of BNW as Morocco. I was trying to go for a culture victory but ended up winning by time of all things. On Prince. I thought I had a pretty good set up, having gotten Cathedrals and Pagodas along with the Reformation belief that gives me 2 Tourism for each of these, and I was outpacing the rest of the world in Tourism by a fair margin. But my usual early game tactic of spamming out Settlers as seeds for a brighter, better future didn't really pan out this game, as the science penalty hit me a lot harder than I realized it would. I didn't even have The Internet by the end of the game, and this was me beelining all the relevant culture techs, with the occasional pick up for science and military so nobody would be too eager to declare war on me.

In retrospect, culture victory really requires you to explore early to find those other Civs so that Tourism can start accumulating, and this was something that I neglected. I also guess spamming cities is no good anymore, so I'm really curious how one would actually make a wide empire without being hosed up in the sciences. I thought it would be relatively easy for Morocco since I had around 400 gold/turn and could thus effectively "buy" the early production of any city I wanted, but still. What am I doing wrong here?

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A friend of mine who is a fluent portuguese speaker told me Maria I is actually speaking Brazilian portuguese, wonder why they went with that dialect.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

GrandpaPants posted:

So I just won my first real game of BNW as Morocco. I was trying to go for a culture victory but ended up winning by time of all things. On Prince. I thought I had a pretty good set up, having gotten Cathedrals and Pagodas along with the Reformation belief that gives me 2 Tourism for each of these, and I was outpacing the rest of the world in Tourism by a fair margin. But my usual early game tactic of spamming out Settlers as seeds for a brighter, better future didn't really pan out this game, as the science penalty hit me a lot harder than I realized it would. I didn't even have The Internet by the end of the game, and this was me beelining all the relevant culture techs, with the occasional pick up for science and military so nobody would be too eager to declare war on me.

In retrospect, culture victory really requires you to explore early to find those other Civs so that Tourism can start accumulating, and this was something that I neglected. I also guess spamming cities is no good anymore, so I'm really curious how one would actually make a wide empire without being hosed up in the sciences. I thought it would be relatively easy for Morocco since I had around 400 gold/turn and could thus effectively "buy" the early production of any city I wanted, but still. What am I doing wrong here?

My only completed game/win was with Morocco and via diplomacy. I don't even know how to win via diplomacy and was going for cultural.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
I was really impressed at how much the world congress can shift the balance of power. Washington was my neighbor, who settled very aggressively. He was always neck and neck with me, or slightly ahead, and his military was much much bigger. After fighting a very bloody war for one of his cities that was in a spot that I just could not abide, I was very worried about him.

Then the congress came up, which I controlled. I decided to try to embargo him, and it got passed. In almost no time at all, he was utterly crippled. I passed him in technology, half his army had to disband, and his citizens were so unhappy they revolted when he didn't choose my ideology. At one point he was so desperate he was willing to sell me a 15 population coastal city with El Dorado in it for 340gpt and some resources. If I didn't think he'd use the money and resources to attack me I'd have done it.

A lot of the fixes already helped truncate runaway civs, and it looks like the congress can basically stop them in their tracks. Very cool.

Now if they would just give a different icon for artifacts, whose bright loving idea was it to have it be the same as art

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Fryhtaning posted:

I was dominant with 5 out of 7 other Civs and I never saw Resistance or Revolutionary from anyone. Everyone else's culture and tourism sucked, except for Bismark's, and literally everyone else except for Persia was Order while I was Freedom. How the hell is it even possible to get anyone to those levels? I did see some happiness penalties, but it wasn't enough to make anyone unhappy overall - and that was on King, so good loving luck if that had been any of the higher difficulties.

By the time I had enough delegates to where I actually could have passed Freedom as the global ideology, which could have made a difference, I was close enough to a diplo victory to go for that instead. Just very strange in such a culture-dominant game that I never saw city flips, revolutions, or even anyone switching ideologies.

Likely the other Order civs were proping each other up. Your dominant tourism was probably exerting lots of force for Freedom on the other civs, but if they are all Order, then their influence between them acts defensively. If you mouse over the 'Public Opinion' heading for each Civ, it should tell you what pressures that Civ is getting from where.

I'm guessing from your statement about Bismark that he took Order and had a good deal of tourism compared to the other Civs, and this influence was used to prop the other civs up. If you went and wiped out Bismark, you likely would have seen all those other civs fall pretty far into revolt.

The whole ideological pressure game is sort of random, and really depends on the Ideology breakdown. If there was another civ in your game going culture + Freedom adding to your own pressure, it would have been way different. And even if you do get the other civs down to the Resistance or Revolutionary Wave states, its possible for them to have enough happiness to absorb it (though less likely for the latter one).

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

If you are from the UK and you pre-ordered with the 10% and 25% codes from GMG you paid as much as it would cost to buy BNW now on sale from steam.

So I'm all good :smug:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

My only completed game/win was with Morocco and via diplomacy. I don't even know how to win via diplomacy and was going for cultural.

I realized pretty late in the game that I had owned all the City States, but by then I couldn't get the UN so I just waited out the clock.

Also is there way to use Diplomacy to get people to switch ideologies? I was going to bribe a few people I had good relationships with but I didn't see the option, which was disappointing.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah, the World Congress is much cooler now. My only wish is that you could propose measures that can go up for a vote if they receive enough support (but if they fail to pass a vote, can't be proposed by that Civ or everyone for X number of turns).

Embargo's are devastating though, and that's awesome.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Embargo's are devastating though, and that's awesome.

In my first game, the Civ that had early allied a bunch of the city-states was the first host, and his first proposal was a city-state trade embargo, which lasted the entire game - it was brutal

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Varjon posted:

Now if they would just give a different icon for artifacts, whose bright loving idea was it to have it be the same as art

If they don't patch that I hope someone mods it right quick. It should be a little stone arrowhead icon or something.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

You can keep the awesome map style of continents plus, but have city-states spawn regularly instead of exclusively on the island chains by following the instructions in this thread.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=453587

I've done it, and it's great.

Any way to do this for Mac?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fire posted:

A friend of mine who is a fluent portuguese speaker told me Maria I is actually speaking Brazilian portuguese, wonder why they went with that dialect.

My guess would be that they hired Maria's VA the same day as they hired the one for Pedro.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Is Tradition still the best choice for your first social policy?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Zilkin posted:

Is Tradition still the best choice for your first social policy?

I've been going Liberty, because it's much harder than it was to get settlers with the trade changes. But, I also haven't given Tradition a try yet, so I don't know for sure.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

In my first game, the Civ that had early allied a bunch of the city-states was the first host, and his first proposal was a city-state trade embargo, which lasted the entire game - it was brutal

So wait, wouldn't that stop his trade with city states as well? Or is he basically getting those benefits anyways because of the aforementioned alliance?

Either way, I like the way they work. Hell, the game I'm playing now, one is up for a civ I trade with frequently, and I'm hesitant to vote no on it because the Civ (who proposed it) next door is looking for a good reason to invade me.

Dammit, I love this game so much.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
I don't really get the trade with city states option without that tier 3 freedom policy that gives you 4 influence per turn or whatever. They're less money than civ trades, and you won't get any science. Why would you ever do it unless you have nowhere else to go?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I really wish there was a was to automate archeologists or at the very least highlight antiquity sites.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gully Foyle posted:

Likely the other Order civs were proping each other up. Your dominant tourism was probably exerting lots of force for Freedom on the other civs, but if they are all Order, then their influence between them acts defensively. If you mouse over the 'Public Opinion' heading for each Civ, it should tell you what pressures that Civ is getting from where.

I'm guessing from your statement about Bismark that he took Order and had a good deal of tourism compared to the other Civs, and this influence was used to prop the other civs up. If you went and wiped out Bismark, you likely would have seen all those other civs fall pretty far into revolt.

The whole ideological pressure game is sort of random, and really depends on the Ideology breakdown. If there was another civ in your game going culture + Freedom adding to your own pressure, it would have been way different. And even if you do get the other civs down to the Resistance or Revolutionary Wave states, its possible for them to have enough happiness to absorb it (though less likely for the latter one).

Great explanation, thanks. Persia was the only other Freedom civ and they were pretty insignificant for most of the game, so it was me against civs 2-7 in terms of score. Persia even got wiped out at some point in the Industrial era, but I resurrected them and got all their delegates for the rest of the game. I captured a few cities from Bismark and returned them to Dido and Pacal as well to try and soften up their Guarded status. Playing the world savior of sorts was pretty fun for once.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Varjon posted:

I don't really get the trade with city states option without that tier 3 freedom policy that gives you 4 influence per turn or whatever. They're less money than civ trades, and you won't get any science. Why would you ever do it unless you have nowhere else to go?

To deny the enemy science/gold maybe? Also to stop spreading religion influence. And of course when there is nothing else in range.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Varjon posted:

Its for the diplomatic victory. 4 influence per turn adds up really quickly, and makes you much more likely to keep those City States through AI coup attempts. And Allied City states give you other benefits of course (luxuries, culture/faith/units/science for that one patronage policy, and of course will fight against your enemies). You can easily control the world congress given enough CS allies, which also means that your resolutions pass, or you can defeat resolutions that hurt you.

Also, while you get more gold from international trade, remember that your opponents are also getting gold from that, and possibly science.

Edit: In case it wasn't obvious, each Tier 3 tenet represents one of the three victory conditions that ideology is supposed to be good at.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well, turns out I still love this game.

I was sandwiched between France and Spain, and had open borders with both of them. France was marching through my territory to attack Spain, so I devoted my not insignificant industrial powerhouse to unit production and just gifted them all to Spain. Except Spain still didn't want to be my friend so I couldn't just straight up give them money and tech. And then I won a cultural victory. Holy poo poo the Polish get a lot of policies.

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008
I had a pretty fun game recently as the Shoshone, I was trying to get a science victory but my neighbor Indonesia managed to get a cultural and diplomatic lead. At one point Indonesia DOWd me and I managed to take his capital (and all his cultural wonders) and was able to pass an embargo on him, and figured this would slow him down, it didn't, so before the vote I convinced 4 other civs to go to war with him and managed to completely wipe him out, and since I took all his tourism, I took a cultural lead, took over the world congress, and had a science lead, pretty much making me unopposed for a win.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a quick guide somewhere I can look at to get an overview of what's changed in BNW?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Any way to do this for Mac?

I'm not familiar with Mac at all. Wouldn't it be the same though? It's just deleting some text and saving the file.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a quick guide somewhere I can look at to get an overview of what's changed in BNW?
The OP? At the bottom.

(Not trying to be snarky.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RBA Starblade posted:

A few options:

pre-release summary:
http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_bravenewworld.html

BNW manual:
http://cdn2.steampowered.com/Manuals/235580/CIV_V_BNW_PC_ONLINE_MANUAL_ENG.pdf

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ufarn posted:

The OP? At the bottom.

(Not trying to be snarky.)

Hell, I thought it ended at the list of expansions. Thanks!

e: Oh my god I want to play so much now.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 12, 2013

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Have we yet uncovered the formula that determines how lucrative a trade route is? It it tied to proximity of citys, luxury access, strategic resource access, city population, city gold income, or a combination, or something else entirely?

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Triskelli posted:

My guess would be that they hired Maria's VA the same day as they hired the one for Pedro.

That is incorrect. I am Brazilian, born and raised, and she's speaking perfect Portuguese from Portugal.

Edit: Also, Pedro II's Portuguese is Brazilian Portuguese. And Firaxis' attention to detail is awesome. In my game, I am playing as Pedro II (of course), and when I met Maria, she said something like "don't I know you from somewhere?". That was pretty funny, how they'd include that little joke in the game.

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 12, 2013

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Was playing as Russia and built a colony on a continent with the Zulu which pissed them off. Incedentally the Impi are badass and I had a hard time protecting my colony. I ultimately liberated two city states they had taken.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Does the rest of the AI hate you more if you conquer city states the same if you wipe out a civ?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

BadLlama posted:

Does the rest of the AI hate you more if you conquer city states the same if you wipe out a civ?

Wiping out a city-state is pretty much just as bad as wiping out any regular civ.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Varjon posted:

That ability is awesome though. It's basically a free permanent city state ally for every trade route. And you know how you always get that annoying hostile maritime/cultured city state neighbor you want to ally with without the double influence loss? Trade route time!

I was playing as Poland and actually going for a culture victory, and ended up going Freedom because my archenemy Bismark picked order. But when it came time to pick a tier 3 policy Alexander looked like he was cruising for an early diplo win with his 9 city state allies and I wasn't near broadcast towers (the Culture freedom policy is +34% tourism from broadcast towers), so I grabbed it and switched all my trade routes to his city states.

Bam, diplo victory in the early atomic era.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Completed a tremendously fun game as Venice. Started off in a desert region, hilly with a flood plain nearby with 3 cotton, wheat, fish just outside the city, marble three tiles away, and a oasis on the other side. I started less than ten tiles away from two religious CSs. Oh game, you shouldn't have. :getin: With tithes, plowshares, religious texts and feed the world chosen, Venice founded Judaism well before anyone else were even thinking about pantheons.

I started near Songhai and for once, he was just trying to be peaceful and spread his own religion, Islam. Throughout the game, Islam was, more or less, kept in check by my great prophets bombing the hell out of him and keeping it suppressed. Due to my desert starting location, and nearby CSs which were also founded completely on the desert peninsula, I was sending out missionaries every four turns at the most and by the end of the game, I had spread Judaism to around two-thirds of the planet, stifling out most other religions on contact due to the incredible spread of the religion via endless hordes of missionaries, extensive trade routes, and forcing the world to accept my religion as the bestest.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Venice is hella fun. In my current game I got the "Greed is good" achievement on accident for building Colossus, Petra, a harbor, and a caravansary. I should maybe bump it back up to King after I finish this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
What happened to the awesome resource management?

I haven't played Civ for ages, but I remember the most fun was juggling 12 different sources of food to get better health, and scourging the planet for marble/aluminum to get huge boosts on certain projects.
Now most of the resources are just flat +1 food or +2 gold each.

• Locked thread