Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

sauer kraut posted:

What happened to the awesome resource management?

I haven't played Civ for ages, but I remember the most fun was juggling 12 different sources of food to get better health, and scourging the planet for marble/aluminum to get huge boosts on certain projects.
Now most of the resources are just flat +1 food or +2 gold each.

The game now has 3 types of resources. The luxury resources still need to be juggled / traded for happiness. Strategic resources like iron and coal can also be traded and are used by individual units and buildings. Finally, the old health resources got turned into bonus resources, which for the most part help your city grow even further than it normally would have. A bonus resource cannot be traded and only belong to the city that works it.

Of course, with BNW now you have a bunch of cultural artifacts and relics to juggle around for maximum influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Platystemon posted:

God, I hate it when AI capitals are one tile away from the isthmus. It’s the bane of low sea level maps.

Not even the capital, it was like her fourth city. There was actually a lot of water on the map, but 2 seas were locked in by land to the north and ice to the south and she was the only one with the geography to possibly transit hers to the larger ocean. She didn't build any cities on the larger coast, either.

Protagorean posted:

Why on Earth do you have that much money? :aaa: Do you just not buy anything, and then use it as a swimming pool like Scrooge McDuck? Or are you really into the idea of rainy-day funds? Or have I been doing it wrong this whole time, spending it nearly as fast as I make it, so even at 800+ GPT I never have more than maybe 4K on hand for bidding wars with City-States.

Yeah, I just didn't really buy much. The entire game was shockingly peaceful and I had enough production in my compact empire that it never took too long to build anything I needed once I was sitting on that gold anyway.

It was also my first BNW game so I wasn't really trying that hard to get anything done.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 12, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In addition, having (improved) marble within its borders makes a city construct wonders faster, there are all the miscellaneous +food/+prod/+gold benefits, and various buildings offer an extra improvement to specific resources or tile improvements (e.g. stable makes all pastures give 1 more production).

Fish can become quite the supertile in a coastal city, just baseline generic from regular buildings and a fishing boat.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

One thing I have been doing in my games is saving up the 3150 gold required to buy three factories as soon as you get Industrialization (and access to coal, of course). This gets you to your Ideology as fast as possible, ensuring you get the maximum number of free tenets (and denying them to the enemy), and getting up the Ideology tree quickly. It also boosts your production quite nicley too.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I just played my first game with Casimir on Prince. Went tradition, got 4 cities and began peacefully make culture and money. Everything went well apart from the unhappiness. I couldn't generate enough of it. There were about four gold mines around and sugar plantations but nothing else. I built circuses and coliseums but it still wasn't enough. All my city growth slowed to a halt. Then I got invaded by Theodora but her force was really week so I puppeted two of her cities but then I was about -11 on happiness. What's the secret to it in BNW? Religion? Going Freedom at the beginning? Are 4 cities too much?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

The most surefire way of improving happiness coming out of the early game is to cross the ocean (unless you're playing on Pangaea) and find distant players. They'll always have a pile of luxuries for trade between them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
So, how's multiplayer for everyone else? Our game had... Issues. Six or seven people, took three tries to get started. (Though the first one was aborted after someone joined and turns were held up after. We got rid of the AI and it seemed to fix it. The second mysteriously didn't have everyone load.) A few lobby issues, too, but by the time we got the third game up it went along pretty smoothly, if with turn lag.

Cruelly third game also had a absolute terrible start for me.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Jesus Christ, is the Ai really such an rear end in a top hat in this game?? Persia asked my help for war against Austria, and I figured my chances were pretty good him being on my side. Austria, though, was on the other side of the map so it took a while to deploy my troops there and when I started banging my warhammer, Austria begging for a peace treaty twice. I didn't see any of Persia's troops though, so I wondered what was up. After I had suffered some damage and half of Austria's troops were destroyd, Persia declared a war on ME and all of my troops wrere on the other side of the continent and now Persia flooded my country with his cavalry!

WHHAAATT:psyboom:

Is this just coincidence or is the AI that cunning? I really didn't expect this!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've played several games on Prince with no conflict from the AI other than a quick little spat I started with Indonesia. It seems trade routes really do go a long way to pacifying the civs. Extensive trade routes plus spreading your religion really pulls the game away from any conflict.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Your first problem was deploying your entire army halfway across the world with a belligerent neighbor on your doorstep. Next time just do the war, say you'll assist, keep all your forces at home and accept any white peace or better agreements from the other guy when they inevitably pop up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

What happened to the awesome resource management?

I haven't played Civ for ages, but I remember the most fun was juggling 12 different sources of food to get better health, and scourging the planet for marble/aluminum to get huge boosts on certain projects.
Now most of the resources are just flat +1 food or +2 gold each.

You can still get super tiles, it just generally takes more effort. Not gonna lie, I think I prefer Civ 4's tile yields, just because it was so much fun to find a city with like 4 gems or gold, mine the poo poo out of them, and make ridiculous amounts of money just from the tile yields. But in 5, they really want you to find those resources elsewhere. Trade routes, buildings, wonders, etc. Cities by default are pretty weak and you really have to boost them through various means. The exceptions to this are edge cases, like a mountainous Incan Petra city that just has crazy good tile yields.

There's still a lot of actual resource management, especially when it comes to strategic. Trying to trade/land grab important sources of iron or coal or whatever have you. The transformation of those into limited use resources was a really smart move.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

When the AI asks for your help against someone, unless it was someone you were going to fight anyway, either a. say no (if you'd rather stay on the other AI's good side) or b. go ahead and join the war and then sit back and play defense (if they even send anything over your way). If the war-instigating AI actually genuinely wanted the war, they'll go over and fight anyway, and the victim AI will eventually offer you a tasty peace treaty, possibly even including a city. If they didn't and it was just a ruse, then it's a moot point and the victim AI will eventually be willing to make peace after a fruitless non-war, provided your army's a decent size.

Also, actually going on the offense will probably lose you some units, thereby shrinking your army and letting the nearby AI who started the war go "hmm, this person's easy pickings now".

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Was pretty stoked that the nations I knew wanted me to join in a war against the #1 player. And that was my first game of BNW.

Game is already so much more fun than the previous installments.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Does it actually do anything when you say "How dare you?" when a civ asks you to go to war? I don't think I've ever seen a red modifier in the diplomacy tooltip resulting from that response.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can still get super tiles, it just generally takes more effort. Not gonna lie, I think I prefer Civ 4's tile yields, just because it was so much fun to find a city with like 4 gems or gold, mine the poo poo out of them, and make ridiculous amounts of money just from the tile yields. But in 5, they really want you to find those resources elsewhere. Trade routes, buildings, wonders, etc. Cities by default are pretty weak and you really have to boost them through various means. The exceptions to this are edge cases, like a mountainous Incan Petra city that just has crazy good tile yields.

There's still a lot of actual resource management, especially when it comes to strategic. Trying to trade/land grab important sources of iron or coal or whatever have you. The transformation of those into limited use resources was a really smart move.

You can get some crazy good food tile yields on sea resources with god of the sea, lighthouse, harbors, etc. Of course you'll also have a number of bad tiles from the open ocean, but a fishing boat or two can boost a starting island city up to the 5-10 range really fast.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can get some crazy good food tile yields on sea resources with god of the sea, lighthouse, harbors, etc. Of course you'll also have a number of bad tiles from the open ocean, but a fishing boat or two can boost a starting island city up to the 5-10 range really fast.

Yeah, fish are actually quite an amazing supertile in coastal cities. (They're considerably less amazing for a landbound city that happens to have fish within its borders. Much of the benefit comes from the lighthouse + harbor + seaport combo.) Another thing I've liked with BNW is that I actually want to build harbors now, rather than going "mehhhh, I have a hard time justifying its upkeep" like I did before.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Agh goddammit i just got up and thus missed the summer sale. Like getting wonder sniped in real life :negative:

Played a brogame last night and i got the worst start i've ever had. It wasn't raging barbarians but i lost 5 warriors, 2 archers, 3 scouts, and 2 workers to barbarians by the time i stabilized. I have no idea what was going on, barbs were walking around in packs of 4 or 5 brutes each and until i really dedicated myself to wiping them out they kept sniping everything. I remember one of my friends founding his 4th city at the time that i improved my second tile.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Civ IV was a whole different breed of crazy where all you had to do to get an 8 commerce tile was build a mine on some gems. Of course, it was balanced with that in mind, I just like seeing lots of big numbers everywhere. :shrug:

Tulip posted:

Agh goddammit i just got up and thus missed the summer sale. Like getting wonder sniped in real life :negative:

It's bound to be a daily deal. Don't worry.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Does the AI even use spies much anymore? I've had a few techs stolen from me but I don't think I've seen even a single coup, which is a far cry from the crazy coup spam in the early days of G&K. Are they all sending diplomats instead or something?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Somehow I missed Civ's 3 and 4. I played the hell out of 1 and 2 but missed the ones in the middle. I think the hexagons and 1UPT brought me back, I like having that little bit of strategy wargame feel.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

eXXon posted:

Does the AI even use spies much anymore? I've had a few techs stolen from me but I don't think I've seen even a single coup, which is a far cry from the crazy coup spam in the early days of G&K. Are they all sending diplomats instead or something?

And the game is better for it. Having spies coup and recoup city states back and forth was like the dullest thing ever. I'm glad they gave them the dual functionality of diplomats.

I still get spies occasionally, but I'm sure most of them are being used as diplomats now.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 12, 2013

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

eXXon posted:

In my Polish culture victory I killed around three dozen spies trying to take things from my capital over the course of the game because I was roughly an era ahead of everyone else but people loved me too much to want to fight me. I also had a couple city states get coup-flipped on me.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
New thing I noticed that I haven't seen anyone mention. I hovered over the diplomacy modifier and it said "They think you're a warmongering menace to the world! (This Civ is tolerant of warmongers)" so it distinguishes Civs a bit who think killing other civs is way cool and awesome.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gamerofthegame posted:

So, how's multiplayer for everyone else? Our game had... Issues. Six or seven people, took three tries to get started. (Though the first one was aborted after someone joined and turns were held up after. We got rid of the AI and it seemed to fix it. The second mysteriously didn't have everyone load.) A few lobby issues, too, but by the time we got the third game up it went along pretty smoothly, if with turn lag.

Cruelly third game also had a absolute terrible start for me.

A lot of issues cropped up for me near the end of the game (culminating with a total crash for both of us within a dozen turns of a culture win) but up until then it ran like a dream and the turn times and selection times seemed miles better than G&K.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kanos posted:

In my Polish culture victory I killed around three dozen spies trying to take things from my capital over the course of the game because I was roughly an era ahead of everyone else but people loved me too much to want to fight me. I also had a couple city states get coup-flipped on me.

That's odd, because in the last King game I played I had a few techs stolen, but after switching to Emperor I'm getting no techs stolen despite having left my capital unprotected and having enough of a tech lead to be the first to reach the industrial and now modern eras.

Also, I feel like the tech tree could use some work if they make any more substantial changes, or at least change unit balance a bit so I'm not always building submarines before ironclads.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Does anyone know if any of the achievements are broken? Specifically the base game achievements, I know I've built more than a thousand roads at this point but I still haven't received the achievement for it...or maybe it's cause I was offline for some of the time I played.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The initial posters made me worry so much that I dropped down the difficulty from Emperor to King, so I just won the easiest cultural victory ever with Poland in 1860.

If you focus on using religion to buy great artists/writers/musicians and look out for artefacts you can uncover you can pretty easily fill up most of your slots. Also the 'culture bombs' with musicians are a really handy way to push over the last civ, they give a massive amount of tourism.

And I didn't even understand the theme bonuses and I got one serendipitously, there seems to be no advice on what goes where in game.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Handsome Ralph posted:

Does anyone know if any of the achievements are broken? Specifically the base game achievements, I know I've built more than a thousand roads at this point but I still haven't received the achievement for it...or maybe it's cause I was offline for some of the time I played.

Do you have mods installed? They won't count then.

Otherwise, do this to check your progress

SPUF Forums posted:

Some achievements require you to perform a task a number of times (like buy 1000 tiles, or chop down 1000 forests). A complete list of all those numbers can be found in a log file, along with anything else you want to know about achievements (it is the source of most but not all the information in these posts).

To activate the log file, first edit My Documents\My Games\Civilization 5\config.ini, and change the line LoggingEnabled = 0 to LoggingEnabled = 1. Then restart the game, and it will create the log file. Go to My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Logs and open achievements_debug.txt.

The log file is created every time you launch the game, and is not updated until you restart the game. So typically, it will not show the most current stats.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

And I didn't even understand the theme bonuses and I got one serendipitously, there seems to be no advice on what goes where in game.

Hit the cultural button, go to where you can move your works around - over on the left you'll see any buildings that can hold themed collections with a little 0 or +0 - mouse over that and it'll say 'needs X works of Y type from Z ages'. Fill them in appropriately and you'll get +2 or +3 culture/tourism.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

The initial posters made me worry so much that I dropped down the difficulty from Emperor to King, so I just won the easiest cultural victory ever with Poland in 1860.

If you focus on using religion to buy great artists/writers/musicians and look out for artefacts you can uncover you can pretty easily fill up most of your slots. Also the 'culture bombs' with musicians are a really handy way to push over the last civ, they give a massive amount of tourism.

Go into the culture screen, one of the tabs shows you all your Great Work buildings and slots, and what's in them. There's a modifier number beside each, mouse over it and it'll tell you what that building/wonder needs to get the theme bonus.

Edit: Beaten like a pyramid building slave.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

seal it with a kiss posted:

Do you have mods installed? They won't count then.

Otherwise, do this to check your progress

Even the clock mod?

:( The other BNW achievements unlocked fine, so that's weird.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

One little thing probably not working as intended - It's possible to get the Internet tech without having computers. Also, Venice game on Prince, I was so far ahead of the other civs it was stupid. I got my ideology (Freedom), and managed to get 9 tentets for it before anyone else even unlocked an ideology. I wasn't trying to boost my culture, I had about 6ish cities and hadn't unlocked aesthetics.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I'm having a really hard time getting past the first 100-150 or so turns in any game. Everything seems a lot slower and feels like I'm making no real progress whatsoever. This is on King by the way. I've bumped down to Prince but it still feels the same, I'm thinking I should just push through one game to see how it goes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Man the AI is just incredibly peaceful now. I had my first war at turn 444 as Brazil against a desperate Assyria. Needless to say I crushed him easily and got my cultural victory 2 turns later, a diplomatic one was lined up for 4 turns later as well. And this is on Emperor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Handsome Ralph posted:

Even the clock mod?

:( The other BNW achievements unlocked fine, so that's weird.

What's the clock mod?

So far the best mods I've found are City Limits, Ethnic Units, the various Earth Map mods, and Infoaddict.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In my first game every civ was extremely peaceful, so I completely ignored militarisation. Then my closest ally (and neighbour) declared war on me around turn 300, no one was willing to help and I was wiped out near-instantly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lugaloco posted:

I'm having a really hard time getting past the first 100-150 or so turns in any game. Everything seems a lot slower and feels like I'm making no real progress whatsoever. This is on King by the way. I've bumped down to Prince but it still feels the same, I'm thinking I should just push through one game to see how it goes.

Yeah, my science income seems really bad for some reason. Aside from the %increase from having more cities, did they change some other part of the formula?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Davincie posted:

Man the AI is just incredibly peaceful now. I had my first war at turn 444 as Brazil against a desperate Assyria. Needless to say I crushed him easily and got my cultural victory 2 turns later, a diplomatic one was lined up for 4 turns later as well. And this is on Emperor.

It seems to me like being generally despised has a lot of consequences in the late game, like having your trade embargoed, or getting teamed up on. So, it seems like AI are forward-thinking that way, and are trying not to write a lot of checks in the earlier eras that they won't be able to cash post-World Congress.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hmm. I don't have any of the additional maps available anymore in Single Player - I only have the default Continents, Archipelago, Pangaea, Fractal, Terra maps available. I could have sworn I was able to use the additional maps in Single Player before; they're available if I set up a game through the mod menu, so I know I still have access to those maps.

Any idea what happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

What's the clock mod?

So far the best mods I've found are City Limits, Ethnic Units, the various Earth Map mods, and Infoaddict.

Literally just a mod that adds an ingame clock.

I'm at work but when I go home, I'll check my logs out, see if mods are messing with it. I didn't have the clock one running after I got a second monitor a few years ago and I only used reskin mods in the last few months or so.

• Locked thread