Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Hahahaha this has to be a gimmick account right?

game of bones 1 star review posted:

This is the worst thing on the planet and everything about it is terrible.
This review is from: A Game of Bones (Kindle Edition)
Drinking pure sulfuric acid while drilling into your stomach with a 2" cement bit pales in comparison to being forced to read this monstrosity.

also reviewed: Suckle Me Daddy: The Beginning, a roomba, a zelda sword, an exercise bike and Kingdoms of Amalur

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Yep, I'm aware of the project and its nature. To be very specific about my qualifications for the translation, I'm a native Romanian speaker that lives within 200km of the area and spent ~10 summer vacations within 50km of the area. Spoken Romanian will vary much more based on social class than it varies on area, (and the higher you go classwise, the less it varies) and I can easily do upper class Romanian and urban middle class for major cities in all of Romania and minor ones in Moldavia (the area you describe is mostly Moldavia - Bilbor is on the Transylvania side of the Moldavia/Transylvania divide and the rest is straightforward northern mountain Moldavia, especially Gura Sarului). Rural middle class is urban middle class with more regionalisms, and while I can't do lower class (urban or rural) naturally, there's plenty Romanian-language documentation for peasant Romanian in various areas, so I should be able to put a translation together, and I've heard enough of it so as to lay it on with the proper amount of thickness.

Anyway, the differences between what you call different Romanian dialects (in Romanian, the term refers to Megleno-Romanian and stuff like that - the Romanian spoken on the territory of Romania is a single dialect - Daco-Romanian) are much, much smaller than the differences you'd hear between different US English dialects - you won't have the grammatical variation you find between NY and the Ozarks, let alone the Ozarks and AAVE, for example. If you find a native speaker closer to the area and social class of the characters (or one that has a degree on the subject) they'd do a better job, but I'll do a much better job than Google Translate, and one that few to none non-native speaker would be able to find mistakes in.

Edit: Written Romanian is also closer to standard than spoken Romanian, so you'll have far less variation since you're not trying to do spoken language. You could, presumably, try to pull a Mark Twain and phonetically reproduce spoken Romanian but I heavily recommend against it - very, very easy to get wrong even by native speakers.

I've dropped you a mail - I'm often available on gchat.

stille fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 12, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Geez, where were you when I was writing a screenplay in college about Bram Stoker getting hosed up on LSD and beating up Romanian landowners in his delusions?

How do you say "oh god, my leg, my leg! Why can't I feel my leg?" in Romanian? For, you know, research.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Jesus, your English is impeccable (I'm not being condescending). I spend time on another forum with a lot of international members and even those with a high level of English proficiency are easy to pick out as non-native speakers, but I never would have guessed that you aren't. What is your background with learning the language, if you don't mind me asking?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Huh, this has taken an interesting turn. I'm gonna need a bit more than 24 hours to get that chapter done.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This is apparently a representation of what he imagines:

I actually dig that one a hell of a lot more.

Junkenstein posted:

Maybe he's starting to regret the whole thing now that there's a distinct possibility someone else is going to finish his magnus opus before him.

ftfy

mkay0 posted:

I think the GURM clearly is starting to get nervous about getting lapped by the show. Why write a blog post bitching for no reason? The show is 99 percent faithful to the books and he bitched about the changes.

Where the gently caress did you pull THAT percentage from?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 12, 2013

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Blade_of_tyshalle: A word-for-word(ish) translation would be "Dumnezeule, piciorul, piciorul! De ce nu-mi mai simt piciorul?" but "Dumnezeule" is a mouthful so they'd probably use "Doamne" (archaic "oh lord") instead, supposing they're Christian enough to think religion in those circumstances, or if they're not, some otherwise-meaningless interjection of pain/surprise/shock like "Auleu". This might also go the other way and have the obsessively-repeated bit be the oh god one rather than the leg one, which wouldn't correlate with faith as strongly as the "oh lord" bit. You'd then get "Doamne Dumnezeule, piciorul! De ce nu-mi mai simt piciorul?".

SammyWhereAreYou: Thanks! I've studied English in school, but there were also lots of English-language books, movies and forums in my life, + a MUD I played obsessively as a teen. My English level really isn't that unusual for a Romanian 20-something - I wonder if the international members you were speaking about didn't come from countries that dub movies/tv instead of subbing it, since exposure to the language as a kid does seem to make a huge difference.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

I actually dig that one a hell of a lot more.

I agree, it really sells the magnitude of Aegon's Conquest a lot more than the show throne. Of course, my copy of AGOT has a really lovely looking drawing of the Iron Throne in the front. Did Gurm ever complain about that one?

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
GRRM forgot to mention the Iron Throne was 700 feet tall, closer to 800 at some points.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I agree, it really sells the magnitude of Aegon's Conquest a lot more than the show throne.

A lot of things about the show scale-wise were really neutered from the books.
One prime example is the Hands Tourney. Ned and the small council were all abloobloo about the gigantic costs involved, and what the TV showed was akin to the sidelines at a pickup football game. Most city scenes look like back alleys, banquet halls appear to be servant dining areas.

Really, most everything about the show is underwhelming to me.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

p.crestmont posted:

GRRM forgot to mention the Iron Throne was 700 feet tall, closer to 800 at some points.

Ok this was great.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Fog Tripper posted:

A lot of things about the show scale-wise were really neutered from the books.
One prime example is the Hands Tourney. Ned and the small council were all abloobloo about the gigantic costs involved, and what the TV showed was akin to the sidelines at a pickup football game. Most city scenes look like back alleys, banquet halls appear to be servant dining areas.

Really, most everything about the show is underwhelming to me.

You can't waste money on grand set pieces when you have nudity fees and blood packs to pay for.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hell the show can't even afford fuckin' horses, they aren't spending a zillion dollars on a huge chair.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
On the topic of scale, I just re-read the battles at the Wall and I wonder how they will be shown on TV. Tormund's raiding party has already been scaled down to the point that they don't represent anything resembling a threat to Castle Black, though I imagine they'll hand-wave in some reinforcements as Jon and the wolves already killed most of them. As if the battle with the raiders wasn't big enough, there's the main assault on the Wall and Stannis' arrival to fit into next season as well. Maybe they'll just show the perspective from the top of the wall and have Jon give running commentary about what's happening to the audience.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

have Jon give running commentary about what's happening to the audience.

You know nothing, Jon Madden.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You know nothing, Jon Madden.

Here comes Eye Greet up the middle. Look at her splitting the defen ... BOOM! Wow! That hit came out of nowhere. That DB gets an aurochs leg. Fellas, show that aurochs again for the people at home, wouldja? Good thing we're up in the booth, right, Al? I could use some of that right now. Stretcher coming out for Eee Grit. This doesn't look good.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Vigilance posted:

Hell the show can't even afford fuckin' horses

Are horses cheaper than chairs in your world?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They're cheaper than a chair, made of swords, that's three storeys tall.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

PittTheElder posted:

They're cheaper than a chair, made of swords, that's three storeys tall.

If only there was a substance that one might make a chair that looks like swords that is not the actual substance swords are made from. How much do you imagine a horse goes for?

A puzzler.

In any event it is what it is, but I would have been cool with the 3 story one. :colbert:
Of course that would entail a throne room bigger than the average den.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 13, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fog Tripper posted:

If only there was a substance that one might make a chair that looks like swords that is not the actual substance swords are made from. How much do you imagine a horse goes for?

You don't have to buy the horse. You can just hire them from the horse place. Anyway they do have horses

Also a three storey chair would have made blocking out the scenes really hard, and looked really loving dumb.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
They won't show the battle at the wall. Jon will get bopped on the head and wake up to dead Ygritte.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

At least wight-Ros will be there to tell him what happened while pegging Edd.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Fatkraken posted:

You don't have to buy the horse. You can just hire them from the horse place. Anyway they do have horses

Also a three storey chair would have made blocking out the scenes really hard, and looked really loving dumb.

It's Ireland, there are horses just standing around in ditches. Haven't any of you seen Into the West?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Urdnot Fire posted:

-No no no no, the other Ros, Ros the teacher.

-Oh you mean Black Ros

-Why is she "Black Ros"?

-Not in a bad way it's just to tell them apart because she's black

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I bet Ros was the one that didn't want to show her tits any more and that's why theyGRRM had her character killed.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The viler part of that is that GRRM previously mentioned wanting to write Ros into the books after being "impressed" by the actress' performance. That's also why she was in more than just the first episode.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Vigilance posted:

I bet Ros was the one that didn't want to show her tits any more and that's why theyGRRM had her character killed.

She was a sympathetic (read: often naked) window into Littlefinger's world and now they don't need her anymore as Sansa's moving in. The tits thing might apply too, I guess. And they got to make Joffrey seem like more of a dick in the bargain - it actually worked out pretty well, arse-play excepted.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Holy Calamity! posted:

Hahahaha this has to be a gimmick account right?

also reviewed: Suckle Me Daddy: The Beginning, a roomba, a zelda sword, an exercise bike and Kingdoms of Amalur

This review made my day. It made my week!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

syscall girl posted:

-No no no no, the other Ros, Ros the teacher.

-Oh you mean Black Ros

-Why is she "Black Ros"?

-Not in a bad way it's just to tell them apart because she's black

Snowy Waters, I have heard some dumb theories in my time, but this is, without a doubt...!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Good news, I fired off the translatable parts of my first chapter and I'm going to wrap up the Anglo bits tonight.

Norris, any chance you and the Q could record another chapter? The Brendan that I didn't write seems like it would need the least production.

Can somebody else give a progress update?

Also, the forums are freaking out on me right now.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Y'all best be finishing Game of Bones 2 or Clash of Cocks or whatever it's called. My dad apparently started watching the show so I want to show him how I contributed to its content via reading and chewing in a microphone.

BTW, haven't been posting in this thread a lot because of school and work poo poo. Hope y'all are discussing the deep character of Gerold Dayne and whatnot.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

If this isn't the preferred method for the exposition info dump, then I just don't know anymore

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Arbite posted:

Good news, I fired off the translatable parts of my first chapter and I'm going to wrap up the Anglo bits tonight.

Norris, any chance you and the Q could record another chapter? The Brendan that I didn't write seems like it would need the least production.

Can somebody else give a progress update?

Also, the forums are freaking out on me right now.

I don't know, I haven't talked to IRQ in what feels like forever! I am a bad friend.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Via: wtffanfiction.com/

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Isn't that stuff usually worst than the source material?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

gently caress, did someone quote our book?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The only person I've ever heard use "threw up" as a euphemism for ejaculating was this oxy addict from North Carolina who had a hernia into his nuts which kind of makes it oddly appropriate.

Still gross as hell. Needs to be incorporated into Clash of Cocks.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Strayed too far from the source material for me: Sansa doesn't have a stomach, she has a tummy.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Strayed too far from the source material for me: Sansa doesn't have a stomach, she has a tummy.

my immersion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

My tummyrsion!