Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Hey pre-order and early adopters of BNW, Steam just apologized for the early BNW discount sale and gave every early adopter a free copy of Civ IV to play or gift away. Check your Steam inventories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Just got the best start I think I've ever gotten in this game as Shoshone on Small Continents/Emperor. 3 Fish in a 6-coast tile bay, 3 spices, 1 stone, 1 gems, 1 bananas, all plains, albeit mostly covered in jungle. The only other player on my continent is Korea and I got 5 ruins. :woop:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Even though the Foreign Legion is no longer the French UU, it's still in the UU list for Militaristic City-States. They also have a lower base combat strength, so with their +20% foreign lands bonus they're only up 0.4 combat strength over the Great War Infantry they replace.

Overall, I'm not too impressed by them. You're only a couple techs from getting real Infantry at Plastics, and you can make units with the +15% from Heroic Epic so you're nearly at the same combat strength except with XP from your Barracks/etc and you keep that strength inside your borders. Right now the ideology to get 8 of them for free seems like a panic button more than anything else.

DirtyOldDishrag
May 16, 2009

Olive Branch posted:

Hey pre-order and early adopters of BNW, Steam just apologized for the early BNW discount sale and gave every early adopter a free copy of Civ IV to play or gift away. Check your Steam inventories!

I pre-ordered and I haven't been given anything. :argh:

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

DirtyOldDishrag posted:

I pre-ordered and I haven't been given anything. :argh:

Try reloading the Steam client.

"Mix-up," my rear end. Still there it was, waiting in my invetory.

DirtyOldDishrag
May 16, 2009

saint gerald posted:

That did it! Thanks!

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
Having some weird late-game global economic poo poo right now. Every single AI is running at -100 or more GPT. It seems like trade creates an artificial bubble of income, people build their armies up to that new limit, then war comes, trade routes collapse and the bubble burts, the inflated armies are still there beating on each other amid the rotting carcasses of their own economies.

I'm only staying alive myself because I maxed out Honor. Killing end game units can give upwards of 100g each.

All of the value in my game's economy has switched to being created through destruction. :psyduck:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Matrim posted:

I started off a game as Byzantine with my teammate as Venice. I rushed piety to get the reformation belief that allows you to convert barbarians. Then, I setup three barbarian fountains, including a naval one:

Over the course of the 240 turn game on quick, I recruited about 60 hammer-free, gold-free units from these camps. Since I was the dominant religion the whole game, I also picked up just war and holy warriors. After spawning essentially free units all game, I ran them by Mt. Kilimanjaro and gave them to Venice, who had enough gold to pay upkeep and upgrade them. We crushed the other 4 AIs in record time with little opposition on Emperor.

Oh, my God I need to try Heathen conversion. Does it only work on your turns or does it work if barbs approach the missionary on their turn?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Goddamn, if anyone hasn't tried out Morocco, you really need to. With the right conditions, you can out-Venice Venice..

Get a decent starting desert with as much incense/gold/silver/sheep/desert hills as possible, get desert folklore and get an amazing early religion while you beeline a traditional tradition start to get a great library -> currency slingshot to get out a petra and a market/mint asap. So, so many 1 faith/4 production/3 food tiles from sheep and 1 food/1faith/4gold/4prod from gold tiles and thats before you even start rocking the kasbah like you REALLY want to poo poo out gold and production.

It really does depend on the start, you really do need those gold/sheep (or incense to get out monasteries for a poo poo tonne of culture) but when it starts rolling..it starts rolling! Lots of fun, really recommended.

Going to try another version of this start with Holy Warriors, to see if my Islamic hordes can murder everyone before the medieval era.

I'm trying out Morocco now, go Petra go!

I'm a little confused about the UA though. As in, it doesn't seem to exist? I've established two trade routes, with two different civs, but I'm not getting any bonuses at all.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Highlight your income and you'll see +6 from traits.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

saint gerald posted:

But I already HAVE Civ IV. And all of the expansions. :smith:

Oh, and to people saying Beyond the Sword was the best expansion pack, counterpoint: no Leonard Nimoy. :colbert:

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

People were actually that upset about BNW being in the flash sale? It's just a couple loving dollars, holy poo poo

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

saint gerald posted:

They spelled inventory wrong.

edit; It's not even the complete version of Civ4, it's the crappy vanilla version as far as I can tell.

Kly fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 13, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Red Red Blue posted:

People were actually that upset about BNW being in the flash sale? It's just a couple loving dollars, holy poo poo

:pcgaming: PC gamers. :pcgaming: Also some stuff about loyalty I guess?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Goddamn, if anyone hasn't tried out Morocco, you really need to. With the right conditions, you can out-Venice Venice..

Get a decent starting desert with as much incense/gold/silver/sheep/desert hills as possible, get desert folklore and get an amazing early religion while you beeline a traditional tradition start to get a great library -> currency slingshot to get out a petra and a market/mint asap. So, so many 1 faith/4 production/3 food tiles from sheep and 1 food/1faith/4gold/4prod from gold tiles and thats before you even start rocking the kasbah like you REALLY want to poo poo out gold and production.

It really does depend on the start, you really do need those gold/sheep (or incense to get out monasteries for a poo poo tonne of culture) but when it starts rolling..it starts rolling! Lots of fun, really recommended.

Going to try another version of this start with Holy Warriors, to see if my Islamic hordes can murder everyone before the medieval era.

I'm out Venicing Venice as Carthage on a Small Continents map. I'm making massive amounts of money from my city connections and trade routes due to my free harbors, I haven't built a single road yet. I also managed to get both the Colossus and, somehow, Petra (even if it is only affecting 3 tiles) for the free trade routes. I'm also pulling the Papal Primacy and Consulates combination to force any CS with my religion to be at least Friend status.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Just started my first BNW game. Was quite surprised to see how important protecting your trade routes are, especially on Archipelago maps.

Olive Branch posted:

I'm guessing this only applies to people who pre-ordered it from Steam, not from places like GMG? (Not that it matters to me, I already have Civ IV)

Smol fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 13, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Huh?

Does a trade route work the same as a deal then, they last a certain number of days? Where can I see how much longer is left?

On Trade Overview you can look at your current routes and even sort them by how much gold they're individually pulling in. You can also sort them by how many turns they have left before you can reassign them.

There definitely isn't a concrete amount of turns for them; there's some nebulous factors that cause some of them to last around 40 turns and some to last only around 20 turns from what I've noticed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Maybe it depends on how many trips they make?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Smol posted:

I'm guessing this only applies to people who pre-ordered it from Steam, not from places like GMG? (Not that it matters to me, I already have Civ IV)

Nope, I preordered on GMG and got it. It was also for people who bought it in the first few days it was out too.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Red Red Blue posted:

Considering the game was on a flash sale literally the day it was released here it is a bit annoying, I mean, I'm not going to burn down Firaxis' offices over it or anything over it but it still sucks.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I couldn't give less of a poo poo about the game going on sale, but gifting people vanilla Civ IV seems a tad silly. What they should have done is credited everyone's account with $6 bucks of Steam wallet money, or whatever the sale difference was, like we all bought it on sale, and then pretty much everyone would have plowed those Steam bucks back into the store during the sale, and spend more, because the $$ isn't enough to buy more then an indie game or something.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fintilgin posted:

I couldn't give less of a poo poo about the game going on sale, but gifting people vanilla Civ IV seems a tad silly. What they should have done is credited everyone's account with $6 bucks of Steam wallet money, or whatever the sale difference was, like we all bought it on sale, and then pretty much everyone would have plowed those Steam bucks back into the store during the sale, and spend more, because the $$ isn't enough to buy more then an indie game or something.

Yeah that sounds like a way better compensation. I mean if you're the type of person to pre-order the Civ5 expansion pack, chances are you already have Civ4. Oh well, guess it's already done.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

splifyphus posted:

Having some weird late-game global economic poo poo right now. Every single AI is running at -100 or more GPT. It seems like trade creates an artificial bubble of income, people build their armies up to that new limit, then war comes, trade routes collapse and the bubble burts, the inflated armies are still there beating on each other amid the rotting carcasses of their own economies.

I'm only staying alive myself because I maxed out Honor. Killing end game units can give upwards of 100g each.

All of the value in my game's economy has switched to being created through destruction. :psyduck:
Sounds pretty realistic to me! :v:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah that sounds like a way better compensation. I mean if you're the type of person to pre-order the Civ5 expansion pack, chances are you already have Civ4. Oh well, guess it's already done.

I gifted it to a friend of mine but now I feel guilty that he'll be playing vanilla without any of the expansions :(

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Anyone else find themselves 'liberating' just as much as puppeting and conquering since the expansion? Half the times I seem to declare war for the express purpose of restoring order and stopping some runaway civ from conquering everyone. I have no interest in holding onto the cities, so I usually take the great works of art and give the city back. Especially if they were friendly neighbours- the trade route is often worth more to me than the city, which escalates culture and science costs.

Feels almost... Realistic. I've had to smack Germany down a bunch of times in my TSL map for getting a little too ambitious in Europe.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Lategame diplomacy gets convoluted as gently caress, especially if it's been fairly peaceful up until then, and you aren't in first place. I had to set up four different deals and make everyone happy so I could embargo Ethiopia, who was the runaway leader and had a dominant world religion. Wish I could ban out his religion, but shutting out his trade is good enough for now.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Kyrosiris posted:

Nope, I preordered on GMG and got it. It was also for people who bought it in the first few days it was out too.

Strange; I preordered on GMG, I've reloaded Steam a couple times and I haven't gotten it. Maybe a delay?

I'm really digging the new cultural gameplay. It really scratches my collector's itch, going into the theming selection is more satisfying than it really should be for a shelf-stocking minigame.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Poizen Jam posted:

Anyone else find themselves 'liberating' just as much as puppeting and conquering since the expansion? Half the times I seem to declare war for the express purpose of restoring order and stopping some runaway civ from conquering everyone. I have no interest in holding onto the cities, so I usually take the great works of art and give the city back. Especially if they were friendly neighbours- the trade route is often worth more to me than the city, which escalates culture and science costs.

Feels almost... Realistic. I've had to smack Germany down a bunch of times in my TSL map for getting a little too ambitious in Europe.

Honestly its always felt like this. There is inevitably one civ who just assigns himself the role of "world conqueror" and if you don't spawn near him in the start you'll get to trudge through his 30+ city empire liberating city states and old Civs left and right. I don't know how people play peaceful games of Civ 5 since the best way to deal with those civs is to conquer them yourself, or conquer someone close enough so you have the strength to deal with them later.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I think you misunderstood. Yes, this is the way the game usually has played out, but all I mean to say is in the past I would have puppeted every city rather than liberate it. Now I actually have a reason to save the asses of my AI allies now (aside from giving away cities just to lower my unhappiness, of course) because they maintain trade routes with me. More civs = more trade route possibilities, not to mention some abilities actually play off of trading with multiple civs.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I just reached industrial era and the first tech I unlocked in it is industrialization. For some reason none of the city states that already had mines on their coal sources will grant me their coal even though I am allied with them. It lists them as having the resources and there isn't any option to pay to have them improve it. Not sure what is going on with it. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

You know what coal is, they don't understand why you'd want these boring black rocks. They need to have the tech to unlock the resource to gift it to you.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Away all Goats posted:

If we complain about the reward enough, maybe they'll reward us with something new?!

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I tried out Venice as a naval based domination, it's so broken I don't get why you'd ever play the guy as culture. I had a blanket of duders so thick it reminded me of vanilla.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Speedball posted:

Oh, my God I need to try Heathen conversion. Does it only work on your turns or does it work if barbs approach the missionary on their turn?

If at any point during anyone's turn a misionary is adjacent to any number of barbarian units, they are instantly converted to your civ and have no moves remaining.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 13, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Matrim posted:

If at any point during anyone's turn a mision is adjacent to any number of barbarian units, they are instantly converted to your civ and have no moves remaining.

Does this work on rebels? :psyduck:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

uPen posted:

Does this work on rebels? :psyduck:

It might, haven't actually tried that out yet.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

So has anyone else tried using the Reformation belief Underground Sect? I thought it was sort of perk that made spies have the secondary effect of being "targeted" religious pressure, but it's either so miniscule that I'm not seeing any difference, it's bugged, or I'm misunderstanding it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Protagorean posted:

But I already HAVE Civ IV. And all of the expansions. :smith:

Oh, and to people saying Beyond the Sword was the best expansion pack, counterpoint: no Leonard Nimoy. :colbert:

Literally the only bad part about that expansion.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Huh. I had a city-state gift me a Merchant of Venice. I didn't know the Patronage finisher would let you get Merchants of Venice.

Yes you can use them to buy out city-states. Not that I really want to, their World Congress votes are too valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Brannock posted:

Huh. I had a city-state gift me a Merchant of Venice. I didn't know the Patronage finisher would let you get Merchants of Venice.

Yes you can use them to buy out city-states. Not that I really want to, their World Congress votes are too valuable.

Well, you could have city states gift Khans before so it makes sense. It's absolutely absurd but it makes sense.

• Locked thread