Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

AccountSupervisor posted:

Theyve been talked about in the black metal thread before but I figure Deafheaven is enough of post-rock band as well to discuss in here.

These guys are fantastic. A blend of post-rock, shoegaze and black metal. It makes for a pretty intense sound. Two of my friends are in the band so I got to see them at 285 Kent in Brooklyn recently. Absolutely mind blowing show. The singer has a really amazing stage presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpblqUh_C24

If you arent a fan of black metal style vocals, you probably arent going to like these guys.

Marriages are supporting them on their tour but I didn't get a chance to go see them :(

I don't know how well known Marriages are but its another band from Emma ruth rundle who was in Red Sparrowes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T4-Qa9CwiY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I finally got around to listening to Sunbather and I really don't get the hype. To me it sounds like they could be any post-rocky screamo band, but they let a black metal vocalist wander into the recording studio. It's decent enough, but far from the genre-melding, groundbreaking masterpiece that it's been made out to be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This is like a post metal/post rock fusion track, but Pelican have a new song out called "Immutable Dusk" and it's awesome.

Oh nice, I was wondering when they were gonna do something new.

I've been listening to His Name Is Alive all day. I'm not sure they're "exactly" post-rock but I don't know what else to call them other than "loving amazing". The album Stars on E.S.P. is probably the best place to start.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Henchman of Santa posted:

I finally got around to listening to Sunbather and I really don't get the hype. To me it sounds like they could be any post-rocky screamo band, but they let a black metal vocalist wander into the recording studio. It's decent enough, but far from the genre-melding, groundbreaking masterpiece that it's been made out to be.

Yeah same here. I've been hearing people say it's one of the best albums of the year, so I tried listening to it. The post-rock stuff is alright, pretty standard. But then when the vocals come in, it just ruins any chance of me liking it. I can appreciate some good metal screaming and listen to some bands that have those kinds of vocals regularly, but the vocals here are just downright painful and annoying to listen to. So I'm not buying the hype either.

But maybe all black metal sounds like that and you just have to be into black metal to like it?

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.

But maybe all black metal sounds like that and you just have to be into black metal to like it?

For what it's worth, I absolutely hate black metal, yet love Deafheaven. Admittedly, I've got a thing for the shoegazey black metal bands, Alcest, Wolves in the Throne Room et al, but Sunbather is a hell of an album. The vocals are a bit tedious, in that there's no real variety in them, but I find it easy to get past as the music is stunning. Dream House and Sunbather are just ridiculously good tracks, and the guitar line that ends the album is just breath-takingly beautiful.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The only real shoegazey metal I know is Jesu and I love that :shobon:

Well, and Boris too, if they count. I don't think of a lot of other post metal bands as being shoegaze.

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.
Jesu is the best shoegazey metal. I actually think Infinity has a few black metal influences to it, just without the awful BM shrieks, which is nice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah same here. I've been hearing people say it's one of the best albums of the year, so I tried listening to it. The post-rock stuff is alright, pretty standard. But then when the vocals come in, it just ruins any chance of me liking it. I can appreciate some good metal screaming and listen to some bands that have those kinds of vocals regularly, but the vocals here are just downright painful and annoying to listen to. So I'm not buying the hype either.

Black metal vocals tend to sound like that, but they work much better in the context of actual black metal. With shoegaze it's just off-putting. Like I said before, it's musically most similar to a band like Envy or Pianos Become the Teeth, but the shrieking doesn't have nearly the impact that those bands' vocalists have.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Marriages are supporting them on their tour but I didn't get a chance to go see them :(

I don't know how well known Marriages are but its another band from Emma ruth rundle who was in Red Sparrowes

Marriages are bloody amazing, their EP was one of my favorite releases last year. Can't wait to hear a full-length from those guys.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

AccountSupervisor posted:

Theyve been talked about in the black metal thread before but I figure Deafheaven is enough of post-rock band as well to discuss in here.

These guys are fantastic. A blend of post-rock, shoegaze and black metal. It makes for a pretty intense sound. Two of my friends are in the band so I got to see them at 285 Kent in Brooklyn recently. Absolutely mind blowing show. The singer has a really amazing stage presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpblqUh_C24

If you arent a fan of black metal style vocals, you probably arent going to like these guys.
Not really big into BM, but I'm quite enjoying this. One I'd have to be in the right mood for, though.

And yes, Jesu is awesome (and some of his limited releases are on Bandcamp). Trying to think of another band quite like it and I really can't, although Godflesh is a reasonable substitute. Some of the stuff on Selfless sounds like it could just as easily have been on the Jesu S/T.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 14, 2013

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.

big scary monsters posted:

Not really big into BM, but I'm quite enjoying this. One I'd have to be in the right mood for, though.

And yes, Jesu is awesome (and some of his limited releases are on Bandcamp). Trying to think of another band quite like it and I really can't, although Godflesh is a reasonable substitute.

If you're looking for stuff like Jesu, I recommend Iroha and fragment., both are pretty Jesu-ey. Iroha's great, but the songs are very samey (pretty much exactly the same drums and structure for most of them). Jesu actually did a remix on Iroha's debut album, and Justin Broadrick did an alternate mix of the album too. I much prefer fragment., though, he is phenomenal. Find the Divided and Home EPs - Divided Part 1 is the most emotionally devastating song I've ever heard, and it's incredible.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Black metal vocals tend to sound like that, but they work much better in the context of actual black metal. With shoegaze it's just off-putting. Like I said before, it's musically most similar to a band like Envy or Pianos Become the Teeth, but the shrieking doesn't have nearly the impact that those bands' vocalists have.

Aye, I've listened to Sunbather a few times this week and the vocals are just so out of place that they really detract from the album. A shame as I think a lot of the album sounds pretty good until the shrieking starts.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

degauss posted:

If you're looking for stuff like Jesu, I recommend Iroha and fragment., both are pretty Jesu-ey. Iroha's great, but the songs are very samey (pretty much exactly the same drums and structure for most of them). Jesu actually did a remix on Iroha's debut album, and Justin Broadrick did an alternate mix of the album too. I much prefer fragment., though, he is phenomenal. Find the Divided and Home EPs - Divided Part 1 is the most emotionally devastating song I've ever heard, and it's incredible.
I see what you mean about Iroha, it's not bad but I'm not a huge fan. fragment. is pretty great, though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I keep bringing this up but whatever. Whose got their ArcTanGent tickets? Anyone else got the early tickets?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Thanks to a beautiful Canadian girl I met I was lucky enough to be introduced to EITS and am now sifting through this thread! Just popping in to say thanks for all suggestions, I'm really loving this genre.

And it makes a nice change from Ryan Adams on repeat :ssh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Brinner posted:

Thanks to a beautiful Canadian girl I met I was lucky enough to be introduced to EITS and am now sifting through this thread! Just popping in to say thanks for all suggestions, I'm really loving this genre.

The first song from the first EITS album is a pretty good starting point for post-rock if you haven't heard this one already :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ZeQvnuDJE

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

The first song from the first EITS album is a pretty good starting point for post-rock if you haven't heard this one already :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ZeQvnuDJE

I haven't, thanks :) I've been exploring Mogwai and God Speed since EITS, she was shocked I haven't heard of them! How big are these bands around the world? I thought as an audio engineer I had a fair range of music but this is all completely new. Living in Aus if that makes any difference.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Brinner posted:

I haven't, thanks :) I've been exploring Mogwai and God Speed since EITS, she was shocked I haven't heard of them! How big are these bands around the world? I thought as an audio engineer I had a fair range of music but this is all completely new. Living in Aus if that makes any difference.

It's not as massive a genre as others, but I'd say it's safe to say there's at least a few million fans across the world. Explosions in the Sky scored the movie (and TV show) Friday Night Lights, so that helped bolster their popularity somewhat. Godspeed and Sigur Ros are probably the two biggest, fanwise.

A lot of post-rock bands: A) are from different countries and aren't all centralized in one area, and B) go on international tours, so those both help for exposure all over the world.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I love Marriages, they were really great at the show. I caught them open for Russian Circles about a year ago as well. I think i heard a couple new songs, which were awesome from what I remember.

I got to meet Emma after the show...,.kinda was :swoon: a bit.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Brinner posted:

Keep exploring. Be sure to check out Mono, Jakob and This Will Destroy You. Godspeed You! Black Emperor and This Will Destroy You toured Australia for the first time this year, Mono come every time they tour, EITS come around every now and again. I live in Brisbane and have been to a good number of post rock shows, there's some good local acts too (Laura, sleepmakeswaves, Dumbsaint).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brinner posted:

I would argue that the best band doing that style (post-GY!BE or post-Mogwai let's call it) have been My Education. Their two most recent albums, Sunset and A Drink For All My Friends are goddamn glorious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcMqvVqW_js

Their older stuff is great too, of course. Italian in particular.

e: Why isn't My Canadian Girlfriend already the name of a post-rock band? I'm using it if nobody else is gonna.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I've been listening to Deafheaven and it's okay. But I really like "Vertigo."

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I keep bringing this up but whatever. Whose got their ArcTanGent tickets? Anyone else got the early tickets?

I'm going, even got my early ticket. Seeing Adebisi Shank, Maybeshewill and ASIWYFA at 2000 Trees yesterday was mind blowing and I'm really hyped for ArcTanGent now!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

New Ending Satellites album, it's name your own price (including $0). I haven't listened to it yet but I liked their last album so I thought I would share.

e: This is much more well produced than their previous albums. I recommend checking it out.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 15, 2013

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Bagpuss posted:

I'm going, even got my early ticket. Seeing Adebisi Shank, Maybeshewill and ASIWYFA at 2000 Trees yesterday was mind blowing and I'm really hyped for ArcTanGent now!

Wanna set up a goon camp/carpool?

falconry
Oct 9, 2012

chunkles posted:

New Ending Satellites album, it's name your own price (including $0). I haven't listened to it yet but I liked their last album so I thought I would share.

e: This is much more well produced than their previous albums. I recommend checking it out.

This is good poo poo and made me realize I should be clicking on links in this thread more often.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

precision posted:

I would argue that the best band doing that style (post-GY!BE or post-Mogwai let's call it) have been My Education. Their two most recent albums, Sunset and A Drink For All My Friends are goddamn glorious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcMqvVqW_js

Their older stuff is great too, of course. Italian in particular.

e: Why isn't My Canadian Girlfriend already the name of a post-rock band? I'm using it if nobody else is gonna.

Hahahaha, I have no idea but it should be. I am a sap for Canadians. Go halves in the royalties?. They are drat cool though, thanks. I don't have enough hours in the day for all of this music!

david puddy posted:

Keep exploring. Be sure to check out Mono, Jakob and This Will Destroy You. Godspeed You! Black Emperor and This Will Destroy You toured Australia for the first time this year, Mono come every time they tour, EITS come around every now and again. I live in Brisbane and have been to a good number of post rock shows, there's some good local acts too (Laura, sleepmakeswaves, Dumbsaint).

I didn't realize any of these bands had got over here, I'll have to keep my eye out. I'm planning to emigrate to Canada though so it should be easier then. Loving this will destroy you.

It's not as massive a genre as others, but I'd say it's safe to say there's at least a few million fans across the world. Explosions in the Sky scored the movie (and TV show) Friday Night Lights, so that helped bolster their popularity somewhat. Godspeed and Sigur Ros are probably the two biggest, fanwise.

A lot of post-rock bands: A) are from different countries and aren't all centralized in one area, and B) go on international tours, so those both help for exposure all over the world.

I've heard about that Friday Night Lights thing, I will have to check it out. I've heard a bit of Sigur Ros, was very hit and miss for me.

Thanks everyone, this is awesome. She played a lot of Oceansize also, love this track and album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUiHbYkZj0k

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 15, 2013

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

chunkles posted:

falconry posted:

This is good poo poo and made me realize I should be clicking on links in this thread more often.

Yeah I really this, A day in port Royal and interlude 9 sit nicely together.

e: it's all sick.

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 15, 2013

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Any chance we could put together a compilation list of post-rock artists on Bandcamp?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You can already search using tags (http://bandcamp.com/tag/post-rock), but I guess you mean a thread-approved list rather than every artist calling themselves post-rock on there?

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Wanna set up a goon camp/carpool?

Sure! Not sure I'm camping as I live less than an hour away just north of Bristol, depends on the weather I suppose. I can pick up anyone that that needs a lift from Bristol.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Brinner posted:

Thanks everyone, this is awesome. She played a lot of Oceansize also, love this track and album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUiHbYkZj0k

Oceansize are ace as tits but sadly don't exist anymore.

This is my favourite song by them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSjF028Mc_8

Edit: Awesome live version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU22O8aw2ng

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

thehustler posted:

Oceansize are ace as tits but sadly don't exist anymore.
I was made savvy to them a couple of years ago - wish I could have seen them live.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
The last two tracks on The Used's new EP are sort of their attempt at ambient rock/post-rock. It's not really their style and I don't like the Used all that much but I sort of like the tracks. I don't really know how to feel :smith:
In any case, here's the EP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBa3S0Vyq1E
Last two tracks start at about 11:45. Everything before that is just post-hardcore/emo stuff. I think it gets pretty good around 27:00.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

That's pretty weird. I mean, it's cool that they did that I guess, but it's not something I'd ever choose to listen to again.

Reminds me of the latest Angels & Airwaves EP "Stomping The Phantom Brake Pedal". They've always had sort of post-rocky instrumentals here and there on their albums, but this one is much more of a post-rock release than anything they've done before.

I wish Tom DeLonge hadn't sung on it at all, because his few vocal parts just take away from it. If he hadn't done vocals on it, I'd probably be listening to it over and over again, because there are some genuinely cool moments on it. It almost sounds like 65dos and Mogwai at times. But then the impact gets lessened by the vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vF3o73cR1Q

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 18, 2013

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

FalseParadigm posted:

I was made savvy to them a couple of years ago - wish I could have seen them live.

They were good. I'm sorry buddy :(

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Bagpuss posted:

Sure! Not sure I'm camping as I live less than an hour away just north of Bristol, depends on the weather I suppose. I can pick up anyone that that needs a lift from Bristol.

You should check your PMs and Skype me or something. My Skype is on my profile for those interesting in taking about festival stuff/post-rock.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

:stare:

That's pretty weird. I mean, it's cool that they did that I guess, but it's not something I'd ever choose to listen to again.
I wish Tom DeLonge hadn't sung on it at all, because his few vocal parts just take away from it. If he hadn't done vocals on it, I'd probably be listening to it over and over again, because there are some genuinely cool moments on it. It almost sounds like 65dos and Mogwai at times. But then the impact gets lessened by the vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vF3o73cR1Q

I know exactly what you mean. I like that they're trying to do something interesting but on the other hand I just feel like they should leave it to the pros. If someone hadn't shown that EP to me, I wouldn't even have known they did that.

Tom DeLonge's voice has interupted many things. Unfortunately, his voice seems to dominate the tracks for me.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Before and After Science (not the Brian Eno album). I put this on from the facebook post-rock page while my computer was muted without even thinking and then unmuted it like 10 minutes later and it BLEW MY MIND and now my mind is everywhere. It's excellent and free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Explosions in the Sky is doing another movie soundtrack.