Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
The only way i see myself playing Venice when i get around to it is by paying off all the civs to goto war with each other while i maintain a fleet of cargo ships and when a diplomatic victory since im so peaceful and everyone else is a dirty warmongering rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Twenty with Venice. :getin:

Incidentally, Treaty Organization with Venice is pretty absurd. By the end of the game, I had every single CS at about 300-400 Influence.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What are the circumstances that allow you to choose what ancient ruins give you? This just happened to me for the first time. I'm playing as the Shoshone but that doesn't seem to be one of their perks.

EDIT: The Pathfinder. Duh.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I would like to take a citystate, i've never done this before. What kinda ramifications will that have for me? I noticed when nabbing two workers in the earlygame that i was labeled as a warmongerer, but that went away very quickly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bro Enlai posted:

Incidentally, Treaty Organization with Venice is pretty absurd. By the end of the game, I had every single CS at about 300-400 Influence.

Speaking of Treaty Organization, I’ve heard that it’s gives influence for trade routes, but I’m playing a game now where its description is “Gain 4 more influence per turn (at Standard speed) with City‐States you have pledged to protect.”

I can confirm that it works as worded—I couldn’t make trade routes with city‐states if I wanted to because the World Congress passed a blockade, but my version is way more powerful anyway.

Dongattack posted:

I would like to take a citystate, i've never done this before. What kinda ramifications will that have for me? I noticed when nabbing two workers in the earlygame that i was labeled as a warmongerer, but that went away very quickly.

If you take a city‐state by force (i.e. not with Austria’s UA or a Merchant of Venice), you’ll incur the genocide penalty with AIs for completely wiping out a civ. If you declared war, that hurts you too. It’s a pretty big hit.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh my god, I've just purchased my factories and I'm looking at the ideologies. :aaaaa:

I'm not sure I can decide. I can pick freedom or order and get 2 early adopter tenets, does that mean one from level 1 and one from level 2? Or I can pick autocracy and get one early adopter tenet. Arsenal of Democracy looks amazing but so does gunboat diplomacy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It means you get two level 1's, not 1 level 1.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

If you take a city‐state by force (i.e. not with Austria’s UA or a Merchant of Venice), you’ll incur the genocide penalty with AIs for completely wiping out a civ. If you declared war, that hurts you too. It’s a pretty big hit.

Ok, thanks! I'm going for a domination victory anyway and the preassure might make me a better player. Quebec City is just too perfect for a costalcity to pass up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thehumandignity posted:

Oh my god, I've just purchased my factories and I'm looking at the ideologies. :aaaaa:

I'm not sure I can decide. I can pick freedom or order and get 2 early adopter tenets, does that mean one from level 1 and one from level 2? Or I can pick autocracy and get one early adopter tenet. Arsenal of Democracy looks amazing but so does gunboat diplomacy.

No, you have to get two level one tenets before you can pick one from level two.

Jumping on the ideology bandwagon is never a bad idea. It sucks to get dozens of unhappiness out of nowhere because a bunch of tourism‐making GBS threads assholes chose a different ideology.

That said, free tenets are hard to pass up.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 13, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Platystemon posted:

No, you have to get two level one tenets before you can pick one from level two.

Jumping of the ideology bandwagon is never a bad idea. It sucks to get dozens of unhappiness out of nowhere because a bunch of tourism‐making GBS threads assholes chose a different ideology.

That said, free tenets are hard to pass up.

Only one civ has picked an ideology so far. Poland took Autocracy and literally every other civilization I know of on earth has declared war on them except for me. I ended up taking freedom, I think it should set me up nicely to either grab a diplomatic or cultural victory.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Speaking of Treaty Organization, I’ve heard that it’s gives influence for trade routes, but I’m playing a game now where its description is “Gain 4 more influence per turn (at Standard speed) with City‐States you have pledged to protect.”

I have it like that as well; do you also have the mac version? It seems there are multiple changes in the PC version that haven't hit the mac one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sojenus posted:

I have it like that as well; do you also have the mac version? It seems there are multiple changes in the PC version that haven't hit the mac one.

In fact I do.

I thought that the “iron revealed at bronze working” change was because it was part of a patch for Gods & Kings. Now I’m thinking that the Mac version is using an older build of Brave New World.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Ok, I've read through the last few pages of the thread and decided I need to get BNW. The only question is whether there's any chance at all they'll offer a discounted version of the game in the next days due to the steam sale. Anyone got any ideas/wild predictions on this?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Freezer posted:

Ok, I've read through the last few pages of the thread and decided I need to get BNW. The only question is whether there's any chance at all they'll offer a discounted version of the game in the next days due to the steam sale. Anyone got any ideas/wild predictions on this?

It was just in the flash sale yesterday.

If you buy it on GMG you can get a small discount plus $6 of credit in their store.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

thehumandignity posted:

And it was a mistake so don't expect to see it again.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Jesus Christ, that's harsh.

So, has BNW been on sale already on Steam? It's probably too new to get its own sale, right?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
In case anyone else wants it, I took my mandatory 24h break from for the forums to answer the question that gave me said break and found this:

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_bravenewworld.html

It's a list of the details on what's new in the Brave New World as well as a list of changes to the Social Policy system. Also have a single-page format for looking up stuff like the Ideology bonuses so you can work out what you want ahead of time.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

thehumandignity posted:

If you buy it on GMG you can get a small discount plus $6 of credit in their store.

Ah, crap. Thanks for the tip.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Jesus Christ, that's harsh.

So, has BNW been on sale already on Steam? It's probably too new to get its own sale, right?

Nope there's no way it'll be on sale it just came out. It was on sale earlier (snagged it then :getin:) but it wasn't supposed to be.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
I noticed this http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Civilization_V#Improving_waiting_time_between_turns
anyone tried it, does it work? Does it disable cheevos?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

What determines which ideology the other civs pick? Is it based on tourism?

Also Isabella if lucky has really a super UA, I started nearish Lake victoria and Cerro de Potosi, used the 500 gold from discovering them to buy up all basic stuff for my capital so it could pump out 2 settlers to take advantage of the tiles. Leading to one city getting a massive 12 food from the lake and another getting 20 gold.

Even better is the pantheon that gives 4 faith for a natural wonder as it gets doubled so they both produced 8 faith.

On the subject of faith I found a lot of civs went down the Piety tree before even having a religion, a lucky few ended up getting to add reformation beliefs but there were quite a few that had a full piety tree and no religion, it was kinda stupid.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
I apologize for asking, but I started a game as Venice and popped out a Great Merchant. Now, I heard its possible to buy and puppet city-states outright with them, but I'm not seeing an option to do so anywhere. All I see is the option to conduct a great trade mission. Was I misinformed, or am I just a dumbass?

edit: ha, nevermind, I am an idiot. I had the One City Challenge on from my last playthrough.

Electric Crayon fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 13, 2013

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Electric Crayon posted:

I apologize for asking, but I started a game as Venice and popped out a Great Merchant. Now, I heard its possible to buy and puppet city-states outright with them, but I'm not seeing an option to do so anywhere. All I see is the option to conduct a great trade mission. Was I misinformed, or am I just a dumbass?

You need to walk the merchant to a city-state before the option shows up.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Electric Crayon posted:

If you move your Merchant of Venice adjacent to a city state you should get both options. If you aren't getting that, you've encountered a bug.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Reveilled posted:

If you aren't getting that, you've encountered a bug.

Zoom out in strategic view to annex cities as Venice. :ssh:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The genocide penalty does seem to be a massive pain. War feels very inconclusive, even if you knock them back to a lovely village that'll never recover. Perhaps if there was a vassal system, just so they could get an official label of 'I got my rear end kicked and am now out of the running' rather than ':smug: better watch where you settle also move your troops away from my border, they suck anyway'.

Also why genocide? They were peacefully incorporated as a client of the Roman Technocracy :patriot:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bro Enlai posted:

I saw that but didn't take it because at that point the half dozen citystates I hadn't annexed were easy enough to buy with my absurd 900GPT trade income. I actually won the diplo victory by accident because I didn't realize I'd gotten enough delegates when I cast my vote and I'd barely gotten underway with that french invasion. If you decide to keep playing after winning the King Earth election you ought to be able to enact resolutions willy nilly and embargo your enemies and make your stuff the official world stuff because I mean you're the world leader right?

Also, nobody ever seems to get mad at me for annexing citystates as venice. They could be some other civ's ally, sharing a border with them, and I come through an annex it and it's just cool and the next turn they probably have a trade route there. The AI seems to be much happier with checkerboard continents now where everyone is friends and trading partners and goes to church together, is that just a part of it? It seems like diplomacy might be weighted a little too much toward trade. Thus far among all my trade partners I've sniffed out a lot of plots against me that were never acted upon, and the only civ that's actually backstabbed me while being a same-religion, adjacent major trading partner was France, and that's just what Napoleon does. He backstabs you. I don't even hold it against him anymore.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 13, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Strategic Tea posted:

The genocide penalty does seem to be a massive pain. War feels very inconclusive, even if you knock them back to a lovely village that'll never recover. Perhaps if there was a vassal system, just so they could get an official label of 'I got my rear end kicked and am now out of the running' rather than ':smug: better watch where you settle also move your troops away from my border, they suck anyway'.

Also why genocide? They were peacefully incorporated as a client of the Roman Technocracy :patriot:

you could instead go for "require complete kills", which lets you take all the civ's cities without the genocide penalty so long as you leave one unit alive.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The downside of that is that his one remaining scout somewhere on the other continent is going to keep denouncing you until the end of the game. I'll usually try to get my allies to finish the job- like I'll take the core cities that I want around the capital, leaving a few cities near the borders of allies who feel likewise, then as I wind down I'll gift said allies a few infantry and artillery or whatever and 9 times out of 10 they'll finish the job for me in a few turns. Also if you've got citystates involved, like citystate melee units in range of the city you're attacking, they will take the city once you burn the defenses down and raze it automatically. You used to be able to raze capitals this way, not sure if it still works.

I've had a question on this for a while, actually: If I'm attacking a civ whose last city was conquered from somebody else, do I get the same genocide penalty if I simply liberate the city?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Reveilled posted:

you could instead go for "require complete kills", which lets you take all the civ's cities without the genocide penalty so long as you leave one unit alive.

It’s amusing when the government in exile issues proclamations. I like to imagine that the lone horseman wandering about in 1950 is actually Napoleon himself. :allears:

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
Finally had Shaka in one of my games, and yeah, those special units are brutal. Luckily, Darius was a buffer between the two of us, so I tried my best to keep him happy and alive so he'd spend the whole game fighting shaka for me. Weirdly enough, Shaka and I were the only civs NOT going for a culture win, and I ended up with the most ridiculous tech lead I've had since I was playing on Warlord. When I fought Poland it was infantry and tanks vs muskets and cannons...and great war bombers, weirdly enough, but my jet fighters shot those down. The secret to my success was a city built next to a mountain, surrounded by desert hills, with access to wheat, an oasis, and motherfucking Lake Victoria. Pile Petra on top of that, and Morocco's unique improvement loving everywhere. It was like having old school petra again, but even better.

It turns out that the way to get the AI to vote for you to be world congress host/world leader is to bring them back from the dead. Shaka sneakily took out Darius while I was fighting him, so I liberated him back to life and he basically did everything I told him to, and handed me a diplomacy win when my space ship was half done because of his 6 delegates.

I gotta hand it to Shaka for being so tenacious. He was an absolute prick the entire game, even when he was sending his renaissance units against my infantry, machine guns, and tanks. Eventually I stuck him in one lovely city and Indonesia finished him off.

Varjon fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 13, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Varjon posted:

Finally had Shaka in one of my games,

Is no one else just playing with all the new civs? I play standard with 9 so it works out perfectly. I like to see those new leader scenes!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So I'd just captured Jakarta on my way down through Gajah's territory, which was on a thin strip of land. I grabbed it with a Knight and he had it surrounded by dudes. I actually intended for Jakarta to be a productive city so I had annexed it, which I know isn't a great move but I do it anyway, but at the same time I was expecting him to capture it and then we could ping-pong it a few times to get the population down to a manageable size. And he had more than enough to capture it.

On the same turn, my luxury agreements with Japan end and I'm temporarily under -10 happiness. So rebels spawn! Unfortunately they spawn directly between my units and his units.

So, two wrongs make a right?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Is no one else just playing with all the new civs? I play standard with 9 so it works out perfectly. I like to see those new leader scenes!

I did for a while, now I'm back to random civs. Random still seems to prefer the new civs anyway, except Genghis Khan still shows up in every loving game I play, as it has been and always shall be since I started playing Civ V.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Kongming posted:

I did for a while, now I'm back to random civs. Random still seems to prefer the new civs anyway, except Genghis Khan still shows up in every loving game I play, as it has been and always shall be since I started playing Civ V.

Yeah. The game I mentioned was random, but it had zulu, assyria, indonesia, poland, korea and persia. With me as Morocco. So.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Does tourism give some kind of benefit during the game or is it strictly for culture victories?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Starks posted:

Does tourism give some kind of benefit during the game or is it strictly for culture victories?

Once ideologies roll around, it puts pressure on players of opposing ideologies. Heavy influence from one ideology causes happiness penalties for players committed to the others.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
And sufficiently large pressure from tourism can cause enemy cities to flip to your civ (or another civ with your ideology).

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I just made the world ideology my ideology by forcing a vote through, the other civilizations are now in revolt, one of their cities did indeed flip to me. This is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kongming posted:

Well theres 9 new civs which composes 20% off the total so it's not surprising you'd get a few of them.

• Locked thread