Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Holy cow I am bad at this game. It is superfun and neat to play, I picked it up on sale and have played Venice a couple times since. I literally do not know what I am doing at all with any other civilization. I tried Theodora for the religion bonus but there are so many options I didn't know what to do with New Orthodoxy and I floundered until I got out-expanded by nearby China and England. I had like 3 cities and a settler for my fourth building until China snapped up the real estate. I guess I shouldn't have been so afraid of war?

What is one tip that you would give to someone who hasn't ever played Civilization before?

bennyfranks fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Oh, God. They've finally made it great. I played ridiculous amounts of Civ4, had 30 hours clocked on Civ5 before Friday, then got BNW and now somehow the total's up to 47 hours. :stare:

First a really really tight SS victory with Arabia, and then a French cultural victory with a super rocky start that I only recovered from by doing a smash and grab and conquering Catherine's top two culture cities. :getin:

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Since we're posting Moroccan starts.

Posting this game makes me think about how lazy I am with workers. I wanted to force production on petra so I'm working totally unfarmed hills. Jesus I'm bad at this game sometimes.

For some reason I'll get singularly obsessed with a certain goal (petra) and forget to play the game in any intelligent manner.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I've beaten back Egypt to his last city, everyone is at war with him as he is a dirty facist so I drop an A-bomb and peace out so the others can take it and suffer.

However they are all stupid:

They been shelling the city for years and years.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Having just picked this up, since not really playing civ5 since launch, I do have to say that it is a lot better. I find I am also having a tougher time actually winning. I used to be able to hang at emperor level, but now king is actually slapping me around a little. Either the AI is better, I am rustier, or I am not familiar enough with the new mechanics yet. Probably all three.

I've been finding that money is a lot bigger of an issue early on now. The absence of riverside coin is screwing up my early game. Seems I probably need to get on trade earlier, when before I was working mostly on settlers, archers, and workers. Probably need to prioritize markets even more than before too. Have a tough time finding the time and money to put up libraries first, say.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Bashez posted:

For some reason I'll get singularly obsessed with a certain goal (petra) and forget to play the game in any intelligent manner.

Yeah, I am caught in this 'insanely good desert city' funk as well, you aren't alone brother!

Also, I think I found an even *better* Morocco start than the one I posted earlier...it even has food! :aaaaa:

Why yes, I did meet a religious city state, and get culture from my first hut pop, why do you ask? This is gonna be a fun first Emperor game...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah just as a general tip for anyone getting back into the game, you need to get your trade routes up asap. They are your income in the early game, and because most tiles don't generate gold any more, you're almost guaranteed to be running close to 0 if you don't get them up pretty fast.

Don't sweat the turns 'lost' on building the trade routes, the AI has to deal with the same issue. Just be mindful of protecting your trade routes from barbarians!

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

victrix posted:

Yeah just as a general tip for anyone getting back into the game, you need to get your trade routes up asap. They are your income in the early game, and because most tiles don't generate gold any more, you're almost guaranteed to be running close to 0 if you don't get them up pretty fast.

Don't sweat the turns 'lost' on building the trade routes, the AI has to deal with the same issue. Just be mindful of protecting your trade routes from barbarians!

Yeah, this means Animal Husbandry, Sailing, Horseback Riding, Petra (Currency) and Colossus (Iron Working) are loving amazing and almost mandatory (especially as Venice).

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 13, 2013

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gothy McAngstydie posted:

Holy cow I am bad at this game. It is superfun and neat to play, I picked it up on sale and have played Venice a couple times since. I literally do not know what I am doing at all with any other civilization. I tried Theodora for the religion bonus but there are so many options I didn't know what to do with New Orthodoxy and I floundered until I got out-expanded by nearby China and England. I had like 3 cities and a settler for my fourth building until China snapped up the real estate. I guess I shouldn't have been so afraid of war?

What is one tip that you would give to someone who hasn't ever played Civilization before?

My basic tip would be, don't be shy about starting at lower difficulties. The easiest difficulty, Settler, is easy to the point of teaching bad behavior (you get lots of bonus mechanics unavailable to you at higher difficulties, like settlers & workers from ruins, happiness from redundant resources, an AI that's programmed to never declare war, ever), but everything above that is good for getting started. If you're being overchallenged, just drop the difficulty down a level until you're good enough to raise it again. It's a game with a lot going on, so there's nothing wrong with starting at a low difficulty just to learn how everything works.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Sorry for being a noob, but how do you get the yield and resource icons in the regular view? I could have sworn I've scoured the options, but I don't see them in my game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ufarn posted:

Sorry for being a noob, but how do you get the yield and resource icons in the regular view? I could have sworn I've scoured the options, but I don't see them in my game.

Y and Ctrl-R

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

:argh: Morocco you have desert tiles and no Petra why haven't you build a Kasbah so I can rock it?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Do internal trade routes create extra food out of thin air or subtract the same amount from the original city? It seems like the former is the case so I'm starting to think that having a few running between big cities would be a good idea. I'm getting tired of spending money on defending trade.routes and losing them when jackass neighbour declare war.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eXXon posted:

Do internal trade routes create extra food out of thin air or subtract the same amount from the original city? It seems like the former is the case so I'm starting to think that having a few running between big cities would be a good idea. I'm getting tired of spending money on defending trade.routes and losing them when jackass neighbour declare war.

Out of thin air. The trade‐off is that they take a trade route slot that could go to an international route that earns you gold.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Finished the new culture victory with Brazil. The last thirty to forty moves of the game was one long non-stop carnival topped off with a rock and roll tour of the Iroquois who had luckily for me had just wiped out the only civ I was unable to get a cultural foothold against.

Does anyone have a good explanation of the maths behind tourism? How is my tourism offence measured against a rivals culture defence?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
So what should be an average standard game turn length on beginner? I feel (read know) that I'm terrible at this game. I have no idea what to do :(

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

On further consideration (and test games), when you do get the Great Library, Philosophy is a better tech choice than Currency to beeline for because drat that national college combined with a library that early in the game. :stare:

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 13, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
After having played to a Culture victory, I love the new late-game mechanics. My favorite will always be just fuckin' with people stealing their artifacts, followed closely by buying up the CSes and enacting policies that piss everyone off but me.

Poland is pretty strong with their free policies. By the time I got my victory in the late 1800s, I'd maxed Liberty, Exploration (out of curiosity, never again), Aesthetics (okay, probably never again), and Rationalism by the end of the game, plus I adopted Patronage for Forbidden Palace and had two Lv3 capstones. Just crazy.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Exploration is built for (and is amazing on) a water map, I took it to considerable benefit over Commerce in that situation

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm doing the Brazil game featured in the LP http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559210 and thanks to Aesthetics and Piety tree I've been in Carnival for nearly 50+ turns (and enough faith to make it last awhile), with 150 tourism per turn before the modern age. Their tourism UA is amazing in the right circumstances. I want to win this game first before I post a lot more but man it gets crazy.

Edit: Archeologists are a lot of fun, too. Collect all the artifacts!

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 13, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Dumb trade rout question here. If, for example, it says something like they get +6 gold and I get +4 gold, does that mean I'm trading gold with them? Like, in this route I'm giving them 6 gold and they give me 4, in effect meaning I'm actually losing gold? Or are those numbers completely independent from each other and we're just all getting money?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

victrix posted:

Should I be building roads between myself and the civ I'm trading with? Does that help the income?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The White Dragon posted:

After having played to a Culture victory, I love the new late-game mechanics. My favorite will always be just fuckin' with people stealing their artifacts, followed closely by buying up the CSes and enacting policies that piss everyone off but me.

"We didn't mean offence, stealing your cultural heritage!"

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Dumb trade rout question here. If, for example, it says something like they get +6 gold and I get +4 gold, does that mean I'm trading gold with them? Like, in this route I'm giving them 6 gold and they give me 4, in effect meaning I'm actually losing gold? Or are those numbers completely independent from each other and we're just all getting money?

You're both just getting money. Trade routes only generate resources, not transfer them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Should I be building roads between myself and the civ I'm trading with? Does that help the income?

Nope, there are various buildings, social policies, civ abilities, and wonders that can boost trade income.

Naval routes are always worth more by default I believe, though I think the Caravansary brings them closer.

Moving a trade route origin point from one city to another only takes one turn, so if you want to optimize, bounce your new caravan/cargo ship around between your cities to see how much trade routes are worth.

By the midgame you'll probably have a dedicated gold/trade city that is your default trade route origin point, but you can squeeze out some extra cash before your cities are well developed (plus, early on, range is a real restriction, your trade routes can go farther and farther the more trade distance techs you unlock).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

victrix posted:

Naval routes are always worth more by default I believe, though I think the Caravansary brings them closer.

Until you build a Harbor, at least :getin:

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
I think there's code hidden in the game to give Theodora the worst starts possible. I rerolled 8 times because I kept getting the most abysmal crap possible. Finally got one that seemed semi-workable, but it only had 1 luxury. I said gently caress it and tried it out. Turns out I was so far from any other civs or city states that I couldn't set up a trade route until after I got a caravansary. I peaced out when someone built Alhambra when I was still trying to get theology. I really want to enjoy Byzantium, but it's like this every time I play her. :(

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

victrix posted:

Does the AI never buy city state favor?

In four games in a row on progressively higher difficulty levels, I've had the majority or all of the city states allied by mid/late game. Even in a game where one AI had a bigger bank account than every other player in the game combined :psyduck:

This is kind of completely breaking the world congress, not to mention enabling an easier diplo victory than culture or science every time.

They buy out and coup against me all the loving time.

How do you get to be the first host for the World Congress and at which congress do you start getting delegates for CS allies?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Brannock posted:

I actually wish I could lower the number of max religions in a given game, but it's tied to how many players are in the game I think.

Yeah, if I could I'd set the max number of religions at three or four, the other slots are always filled with parochial late game faiths which inevitably end up being restricted to the founder's capital because they aren't focused on faith generation at all. A smaller number would make for better choices, if I found a religion and I am not pursuing a faith strategy I basically found and forget, but if it was the case that I had managed to pick up a thing that was very rare, the question of whether to switch gears into faith would be more interesting, because failure to convert my neighbours would mean that they'd probably all get converted to someone else's religion, as opposed to now where they'll probably all end up with their own faiths eventually anyway. The World Religion would be a scarier proposal in those situations instead of now where there are so many religions it'll hardly ever pass. Similarly when playing a faith game you'd have clear enemies in the other faith-focused civs who would all be controlling their own religions, and converting other civs would be a more reliable thing because you wouldn't have your next door neighbour who built a single shrine 200 turns ago lucking into a religion halfway through the game. Instead you'd have a protracted back and forth battle between the faith civs for the hearts and souls of the other civs with clear zones of control, instead of the patchwork of tiny faiths you have now.

In fact, the way I'd prefer to do religion in the game would be to cap the number of religions on standard and large at three and on huge at four, and then give Boudicca, Theodora, Halle Selassie and Pacal an extra line in their UA which says "may found a religion even if the cap on religions has been reached".

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

How do you get to be the first host for the World Congress and at which congress do you start getting delegates for CS allies?

The first person to discover all civs in the world and have Printing Press researched gets to be the first host. I think it's the industrial era where city-state allies start counting as 1 delegate and then the modern era where they count as two.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I wish there was an option to tell the computer "HEY STOP SENDING MISSIONARIES YOU JERK"

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The best way to snatch up all the citystates against douchey AI civs with cheating spies is to slowly give them money until every citystate you want is less than 10 influence away from being your ally. Then when the UN vote rolls around, you go around dropping 250 gold on each citystate to get them over the hump and then declare war on your rival so they can't buy them back :laugh:. If you've researched globalization already this lets you keep all of the citystates without having to divert any of your spies from diplomacy duty.

Dragongem posted:

I wish there was an option to tell the computer "HEY STOP SENDING MISSIONARIES YOU JERK"
This is actually a diplomacy option now, but you can't use it till after they poo poo on you. They can't convert a city with an inquisitor in it, however, so if it's a problem in your megacities just keep the inquisition in town forever.

I wish there was an option to ask for missionaries. If you want your ally's religion in your cities they'll almost never bother to do it unless you have your own religion going on. Once I was friends with askia, almost nextdoor for over 1000 years with open borders and didn't get a single missionary out of him. Then some other rear end in a top hat like Ethiopa bombed me with prophets and Askia backstabbed me for being an infidel. (trade addresses this somewhat)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 13, 2013

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dragongem posted:

You can, it's under discuss, I believe. Of course, they might tell you to gently caress off, so it's not a sure thing.

(The only sure thing is slaughtering them and sending an Inquisitor to purge their captured holy city. :black101:)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dragongem posted:

If you pepper a few missionaries with arrows that tends to deter them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
After my first game as Indonesia, I can most definitely say that the Kris swordsman is the best melee UU in the game. It's a shame I basically had no wars.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Wait, really? I couldn't tell Darius to stop spreading his faith. My cities were getting converted left and right despite me having a grand temple in my holy city and trying to inquisitor the faith in the others. I also saw him having like eight thousand missionaries running around.

Is there an easy way to tell where the pressure is coming from? I just couldn't get my religion on track and it annoyed me.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

A Tartan Tory posted:

Yeah, I am caught in this 'insanely good desert city' funk as well, you aren't alone brother!

Also, I think I found an even *better* Morocco start than the one I posted earlier...it even has food! :aaaaa:

Why yes, I did meet a religious city state, and get culture from my first hut pop, why do you ask? This is gonna be a fun first Emperor game...

Can I have your save? It should be in My Documents/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Saves/single/auto/AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

A Tartan Tory posted:

So this has to have settings for extra poo poo right? I've never seen an area like that without having extra resource settings on.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for the Workshop to update with a BraveNewWorld tag like the existing GodsAndKings tag? Finding BNW-compatible mods is kind of frustrating right now because searching the workshop for "BNW" will bring up a ton of mods that have "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH BNW" or "No BNW version yet" in the description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
It probably does, but I've had games as the Shoshone where every single tile I got when I settled my capital (so like, 15? 12?) had one of river+wheat, deer, stone or a luxury resource.

My friend (it was MP) was in a tundra with no forest and no bonus resources so we restarted. I should have asked him for the save.

Pretty sure I could have gotten like a turn 25 GL if I got any free techs

edit: it's actually kind of ridiculous how the Shoshone with even the slightest bit of luck (you don't even need a free tech) can guarantee themselves the GL. Because you're guaranteed culture, you can aim for a second pathfinder first and scout out some close, defensible ruins that you save for population when you hit 2/3 and 4/5. A 6 person city early on can pretty much crank out whatever you drat well please.

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 14, 2013

• Locked thread