Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
1 and 2 (especially 1) are pretty dated, and probably not the best entry points. Still decent games, but don't play them first.

Both Origin and Oath in Felghana are great places to start, and are mechanically pretty similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oath in Felghana and Origin are in basically the same engine and are really awesome. Chronicles is a straight port of a pair of really old games with new graphics. Actually playing them may be a bit of an acquired taste since there's really nothing to compare them to.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I like Origins somewhat more then Felghana, but either one is a great entry point into the series. Don't play Chronicles unless you end up becoming a fan of the series, they're fairly dated.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I like Felghana a little more than Origins, just by it having better music and an all around tighter package, but they are both amazing. Origins does have more replayability though with the multiple characters.

In short get them both and nothing else for the rest of your life. Always Be Ysing.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
Speaking of Ys, another Falcom action rpg is almost translated: Zwei 2 http://bofgames.com/projects/zwei-2/

Apparently it was supposed to be done in March but the translator was in a plane accident (related to turbulence so probably head or back injury), and now the coder is waiting on replacement parts for his PC but hopefully sometime this month it'll be available.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, everyone's being down on Ys I & II. They are also pretty good! The Windows/Steam release is updated enough that I think it's worth buying on sale, at least. It just would help if you know what kind of combat you're getting into first I suppose.

If you're going to buy one I would recommend Oath in Felghana.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
How is the multiplayer in Two Worlds II?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What are some good PSP RPGs other than Persona 3 Portable?

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

What are some good PSP RPGs other than Persona 3 Portable?

Trails in the Sky, Crisis Core, and Persona 2, for starters. There's also a lot of good srpgs like Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Jeanne D'arc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Class of Heroes 2 is pretty good if you're into 80s as hell Wizardry clones.

Ys Seven is great. Hell, every Ys game is great.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd recommend Fate/Extra if you can get it for around 10 bucks or so.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Kiggles posted:

How is the multiplayer in Two Worlds II?

I enjoy it, but everyone just runs the last "Adventure" to level up so you have to either do everything yourself (tedious) or find some bros. I'd be up for playing some though.

I think I'll pick up Blue Dragon then, it seems the most recommended. I may also try Risen again, after hearing people recommend it. I initially gave up at the point where you have to kill other people, because the controls were REALLY finicky and I just got frustrated.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I did wind up finishing Vagrant Story (cool game, but definitely wish it was less cumbersome) and started up the next one my backlog: Ogre Battle!

Got about an hour in before I had to put it down. I guess...I didn't know what to expect? Like, VS was overwhelming because there were so many things to keep track of, but I could at least play it. I have no idea what I am doing in Ogre Battle! I just sort of click things at random, and guys move over vaguely to those areas at the speed of a snail, and somehow time is running out while I do this, and then enemies fight me and I always lose, and it's all auto battles or something and oh god :supaburn: And that's not even getting into the massive work that apparently goes into the crazy Alignment and Charisma stuff I had read up about.

I had intended to play it because I bought Tactics Ogre on the PSP years back and I usually try to previous games in series when possible, but I think I might skip this one unless someone can convince me.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope

Hackan Slash posted:

I enjoy it, but everyone just runs the last "Adventure" to level up so you have to either do everything yourself (tedious) or find some bros. I'd be up for playing some though.

I think I'll pick up Blue Dragon then, it seems the most recommended. I may also try Risen again, after hearing people recommend it. I initially gave up at the point where you have to kill other people, because the controls were REALLY finicky and I just got frustrated.

Blue dragon is good and you can pick it up for less than ten dollars. Theres is definitely a lot of value there (ie game takes forever to clear)

You'll either love or hate the music/voice acting

Wendell
May 11, 2003

To me, Blue Dragon is still one of the best looking games on the 360. Because Toriyama's art style is so simple it's able to make it look incredible, just like a 3D cartoon.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just bought Expeditions: Conquistador. Has anyone here played it? Maybe I should have asked this question before buying the game, but it was only 10€.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I just bought Expeditions: Conquistador. Has anyone here played it? Maybe I should have asked this question before buying the game, but it was only 10€.

It's pretty interesting. I've got it and only played a little, but need to get back to it sometime. So far it seems like a Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with bonus choose-your-own-adventure segments and camp management, and they seem to be more than willing to go 'hey, Conquistadors were shits'.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I did wind up finishing Vagrant Story (cool game, but definitely wish it was less cumbersome) and started up the next one my backlog: Ogre Battle!

Got about an hour in before I had to put it down. I guess...I didn't know what to expect? Like, VS was overwhelming because there were so many things to keep track of, but I could at least play it. I have no idea what I am doing in Ogre Battle! I just sort of click things at random, and guys move over vaguely to those areas at the speed of a snail, and somehow time is running out while I do this, and then enemies fight me and I always lose, and it's all auto battles or something and oh god :supaburn: And that's not even getting into the massive work that apparently goes into the crazy Alignment and Charisma stuff I had read up about.

I had intended to play it because I bought Tactics Ogre on the PSP years back and I usually try to previous games in series when possible, but I think I might skip this one unless someone can convince me.

Ogre Battle is pretty dated and not a lot of fun imo. Skip ahead to Ogre Battle 64, it's one of the best games in that system.

The meat of the game is building squads composed of multiple units that can be leveled up and upgraded into better clases once you have the required equipment. Once they are on the field you tell them where to go and when they get into a fight they do predetermined moves based on their class, equipment, and positioning. I love it but the system is implemented much better on the n64 version.

Or go ahead and play the Ogre Tactics series, those are really good too. All the stories take place in the same world but there is not a lot of direct connections between the games. A bunch of units from Ogre Battle show up in Ogre Battle 64 so you might miss the meaning of that cameo but it's really not a big deal.

babypolis fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 13, 2013

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Wendell posted:

To me, Blue Dragon is still one of the best looking games on the 360. Because Toriyama's art style is so simple it's able to make it look incredible, just like a 3D cartoon.

Where would you say Blue Dragon's looks rank with all of the other Dragonball games on 360. Like above Budokai and below Ultimate Tenkaichi?

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

juicecube posted:

Blue dragon is good and you can pick it up for less than ten dollars. Theres is definitely a lot of value there (ie game takes forever to clear)

You'll either love or hate the music/voice acting

I heard that the game is better played on hard mode. Is it super easy or something?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nate RFB posted:

Alignment isn't too tough: the general rule of thumb is if you fight enemies at your level or above it, you'll gain ALI; if you fight enemies below your level, you lose ALI. There's some weird weighting math that goes into raising a character's alignment by grouping a high- or low-ALI character in an opposite party (I made a Lich [requires 0-10 ALI to make] and put it in my Princess/Paladin/White Dragon party and by the end of the game, it had 100 ALI), but don't worry too much about that kinda poo poo.

babypolis posted:

Ogre Battle is pretty dated and not a lot of fun imo. Skip ahead to Ogre Battle 64, it's one of the best games in that system.
Ogre Battle 64 is okay but I prefer MotBQ. You have less poo poo to deal with, you aren't relying on arbitrary and opaque Soldier mechanics (Soldiers, in my experience, will stop becoming units after like the fifteenth stage), and you don't have to micromanage alignment-based Liberation and while it wasn't hard, it's an extra layer of poo poo you don't wanna deal with. Plus it goads you into the trap of using Legions, telling you how great they are, etc. when even the AI, which has the benefit of having perfect control over Legion pathing, has major problems using them.

The story's also a continuation, but it's not as good because they got writers who are as incompetent as Matsuno is at making characters but nowhere near as good as he is at worldbuilding, and threw it all into a character-driven story in a game where you literally control an entire army and couldn't give two fucks about the player character. I just wanna see some fireworks, get my Goth reward, and then point on the map to where I wanna kill dudes next. I don't need to see some dude with white hair crying about poo poo :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think I would have to sit down and watch someone play OB for a good while for it to click. I really was totally lost. Like, lost in "...this is a game? One plays this for fun?" It was loving surreal. I guess the LP would be useful for that? Because I go into OB thinking, right I think I got this. Keep characters at a lower level than enemies, swap them in and out to do so, should be feasible. But then you get to the battle maps and that's the furthest thing from my mind. You don't actually fight anyone until your dinky little unit wanders over to where one is, in which case how would you plan ahead which units to use? Just a whole bunch of trial and error and constantly reloading saves to retry maps? Can you even have multiple units on the map at once? What if you engage an enemy accidentally? Is there a way to run? How do you kill anything at the start, I lost every single battle I tried. And in general, is there any way to speed things up? It reminded me of a lovely version of Heroes of Might and Magic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ogre Battle 64 is a lot easier to pick up but both that and the original have a lot of obtuse as hell mechanics. God help you if you want to actually get a good ending without looking it up right from the start.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Valkyrie Profile is probably the worst offender I know at having inane requirements to get its good ending. But actually accomplishing it is relatively easy. You just...well, do what you need to do. I can't begin to fathom one could have enough control over events in OB to accomplish anything specific.

E: I'm probably being overly harsh on OB. I'm sure if I sat down and tried again, maybe watched a few gameplay videos, it would click in some way. But god drat, I just had the most visceral :stonk: reaction once I got to the second map.

I do actually own OB64 on my virtual console, and was planning on giving it a go after Tactics Ogre.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 13, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Yep. It's pretty fun except that the overworld segments get preposterously boring after a certain point because there really aren't enough/varied encounters.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I've never played a Baldurs Gate game before so I picked up the first one from the Steam summer sale. So far I'm surprised at how good it is, although a bit janky but I guess the age of the game is to blame :v:.
I am no completionist, but I really dislike playing sequels of a game unless I have played the first one because I really don't want to miss anything important to the history/lore of a game. I'm being recommended to play Baldur's Gate 2 because it's apparently the best of the two games, but should I play the first one first? Or can I start playing BG2 without knowing any history/lore from BG1?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm being recommended to play Baldur's Gate 2 because it's apparently the best of the two games, but should I play the first one first?

Yes. You'll appreciate the sequel more if you do.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Anyone know what the name of this game is at 4:08?

It looks like a strategy rpg with cartoon style graphics.

e: Ah, thanks for the info, goons.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 14, 2013

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
It's Banner Saga. It's a Kickstarter game that's not out yet.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone know what the name of this game is at 4:08?

It looks like a strategy rpg with cartoon style graphics.

It's The Banner Saga. Right now, it just has multiplayer, but a single player campaign is being developed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nate RFB posted:

I think I would have to sit down and watch someone play OB for a good while for it to click. I really was totally lost. Like, lost in "...this is a game? One plays this for fun?" It was loving surreal. I guess the LP would be useful for that? Because I go into OB thinking, right I think I got this. Keep characters at a lower level than enemies, swap them in and out to do so, should be feasible.
You shouldn't swap units around too much. You should generally keep your Opinion Leader out of combat unless you can get him some free ALI against slightly stronger enemies (all EXP from Tarot kills goes straight to him)... but not too much that he starts getting way behind in levels. The best endings require him to fight certain bosses (and not others), including the final boss.

quote:

But then you get to the battle maps and that's the furthest thing from my mind. You don't actually fight anyone until your dinky little unit wanders over to where one is, in which case how would you plan ahead which units to use? Just a whole bunch of trial and error and constantly reloading saves to retry maps?
Nah, the way it'll work is that while your army will start with mostly lovely Fighters and Amazons, you'll eventually start Class Changing them (done from the army menu on the world map) as their stats and ALI start getting to the right values, so you might wanna look up a guide on the values you're looking for. You'll have some high ALI regiments (>70) for training up Knights and Paladins and White Dragons and Clerics, you'll have some low ALI regiments (<30) for training Wildmen and Black Dragons and Ninjas and Wizards and Witches don't make witches they fuckin blow, and you'll have a couple neutral-range regiments (40-65) for making Dollmasters and Samurai and Hawkmen and poo poo.

After a while, you'll just get your regiment composition to the point where even if a unit isn't a perfect scissors to the enemy's paper, you'll probably kill one or two of their mans and you'll be able to move one of your more appropriate units in for the kill.

A good rule of thumb is--to keep ALI in check--keep the units you want to have high-ALI on town defense, maybe destroying a couple units on the map, and you'll want your low-ALI units to do all the vanguard work, frontlining and chasing weakened units for the kill.

You probably already know about row-based attacks--Knights will attack twice in the front row, one from the back while Paladins will attack thrice in the front, and cast one healing spell from the back; Ninjas will attack two or three times in the front, and they'll cast a single-target jutsu attack of the target's weakest element from the back; and so on--but if you don't, you can read what a unit will do depending on its row on its status screen.

Unlike OB64, you don't have to worry about encounter direction and your units will always be in the correct row and formation no matter what side you attack or are attacked from.

quote:

Can you even have multiple units on the map at once? What if you engage an enemy accidentally? Is there a way to run?
Yeah, but not in the first mission. After that, Warren and Lans' troops will join you and you can deploy them I believe by clicking on your home base town and there'll be an option to deploy certain troops.

Be careful about deploying dudes, though, because it costs money depending on the units in a regiment (Princesses and Samurais are among the most expensive protip don't use Samurais they blow too). You might wanna save some money for buying healing items, dinner bells (teleports all regiments to base except the Opinion Leader), and if you get a Summons you can buy items that permanently raise stats for an astronomical price. There's lots of use for Goth so you'll want to be conservative about your deployment.

It's hard to engage an enemy accidentally, but it happens sometimes if there are a bunch of enemies stacked up in one place. You can always just click "escape" in the battle menu to force a loss, it'll push your unit back and you'll have a chance to retreat out of a sticky situation like that.

As far as running goes, if you mean by the field, you can turn up the game speed in options? There are some units that grant your regiment a high movement speed--a regiment with a Gryphon will always move fast so long as the monster is alive, a regiment with an Octopus will move super slow on land but go from one side of the map to the other in five seconds flat on water, Dragons and Wyrms move fast over mountains iirc, and so on--and a regiment with a dead unit will move slower; a regiment with a dead monster unit will move crazy slow (if the leader's dead, you can't control yours and the AI can't control theirs and it does its best to retreat to the home base).

quote:

How do you kill anything at the start, I lost every single battle I tried.
Winning or losing doesn't matter in the long-term; the victor is merely whoever did the most HP damage (tarots don't count). The only downside to losing is the loser gets pushed backwards, and if you're defending a town, it might get un-liberated and you lose the bonus of free healing as long as you hide out in one (Roshfallian Temples don't heal you over time).

As for attacking the right dude, you sometimes gotta get a little lucky because the "Weak/Strong/Leader" target command doesn't always work.

You get EXP whether you win or lose, and damage is persistent unless an enemy has a healing item or can retreat to a town. There's also an EXP bounty just for participating in a battle, though it's super small, like 1 or something. I think there are some obscure defense% bonuses for fighting on certain terrain and if you're moving or not, but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head.

Ogre Battle is pretty arcane, but if you have a manual or read about how it works, playing it'll start to come together. If you have any specific questions, I played the poo poo out of both games, so I'll gladly help.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 14, 2013

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
All this OB talk is making me want to play it again. One thing to keep in mind in MotBQ is that item finds are very random. This can vastly change your gameplay. Let me tell you about the time I found a crown on the (first or second can't remember) map. See crowns make princesses and that leads to fun times...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ankle-biter posted:

All this OB talk is making me want to play it again. One thing to keep in mind in MotBQ is that item finds are very random. This can vastly change your gameplay. Let me tell you about the time I found a crown on the (first or second can't remember) map. See crowns make princesses and that leads to fun times...
Drops from enemies are variable, but treasures hidden on the map are set in stone on the SNES version. They're rolled when you walk over them in the PSX anniversary edition, though.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I think I would have to sit down and watch someone play OB for a good while for it to click. I really was totally lost. Like, lost in "...this is a game? One plays this for fun?" It was loving surreal. I guess the LP would be useful for that? Because I go into OB thinking, right I think I got this. Keep characters at a lower level than enemies, swap them in and out to do so, should be feasible. But then you get to the battle maps and that's the furthest thing from my mind.

It sounds like you're trying to make the game way more complicated than it is. Keeping your guys low level is really unimportant unless you're trying to accomplish specific things. It's basically a min/max thing which of course is going to be confusing if you don't understand any of the game mechanics. It's like getting into your first game of multiplayer Starcraft and being obsessed with your APM without even knowing basic builds and strategies. OB has lots of endings. It's meant to be played multiple times. You're not going to play at a super-high level of competence your first time through.

quote:

You don't actually fight anyone until your dinky little unit wanders over to where one is, in which case how would you plan ahead which units to use?

Yes? I'm not really sure what the alternative is? You can't fight anyone in Fire Emblem until you move your units over to them. You can't fight anyone in Final Fantasy Tactics until you move your units over to them. Hell, you can't fight anyone in Civilization until you move your units over to them. Again I don't know what the alternative would be. And also you should be able to select any (non-boss) unit and see exactly what the composition of their unit is and even, if I remember correctly, what their stats are which should allow you to set a plan. Most of the enemies on a stage are going to be at the same level of power so if a unit can handle one they'll mostly be able to handle the rest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tactics is a turn-based SRPG with a grid rather than...well I have no idea how I'd describe OB's map. It's pretty straightforward in Tactics or Disgaea at least. Your units also move around at, well I'm not sure I'd call it fast but certainly not exactly slow either. My reaction to OB's map was more just how slow everything was, how there seemed to be a time limit, and how "floaty" everything seemed to be with regards to movement.

I guess let me try to be a bit more specific where it seemed to go all wrong for me. Early on in the second map, three enemies popped up on the north and of course went after my hero's unit. The very first in line would attack me, and although I was not killed he constantly dealt more damage and thus "won" pushing me back each time. Short of being able to summon more units on the map to attack this guy from multiple directions, I'm not sure what I should've done differently because this was the very beginning of the game and there's not much else I could have changed/edited for strategy. Now since my team had a healer, technically I wasn't killed. Should I have treated it as a war of attrition, and whittled him down? Somehow have that hero unit retreat so that I can place one of the dozens of back-up units I seem to have for some reason (I guess it's my army?). Fine, but would the two enemy groups behind him have been the same case? How would I make any headway?

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Tactics is a turn-based SRPG with a grid rather than...well I have no idea how I'd describe OB's map. It's pretty straightforward in Tactics or Disgaea at least. Your units also move around at, well I'm not sure I'd call it fast but certainly not exactly slow either. My reaction to OB's map was more just how slow everything was, how there seemed to be a time limit, and how "floaty" everything seemed to be with regards to movement.

I guess let me try to be a bit more specific where it seemed to go all wrong for me. Early on in the second map, three enemies popped up on the north and of course went after my hero's unit. The very first in line would attack me, and although I was not killed he constantly dealt more damage and thus "won" pushing me back each time. Short of being able to summon more units on the map to attack this guy from multiple directions, I'm not sure what I should've done differently because this was the very beginning of the game and there's not much else I could have changed/edited for strategy. Now since my team had a healer, technically I wasn't killed. Should I have treated it as a war of attrition, and whittled him down? Somehow have that hero unit retreat so that I can place one of the dozens of back-up units I seem to have for some reason (I guess it's my army?). Fine, but would the two enemy groups behind him have been the same case? How would I make any headway?

Did you have two healers? The hero's unit should be strong enough to win fights. And you do want to have other units for backup, at least three or four. Not just for support but also to develop them. You're controlling an army made up of multiple units. You deploy them and move them like any strategy game to complete objectives, block choke points, and so on. It seems like your too focused on the hero and his unit. The game is a bit more like an RTS than a traditional SRPG in a lot of respects. I guess watching a level or two on youtube like you said might help since you seem to have some fundamentally weird ideas about the game. It seems like most of the LPs of the game I remember don't really deal with the basic mechanics, though. They all seem to assume some knowledge of the game for some reason.

As for making progress yeah your going to bump guys back a bit but eventually you'll whittle them down and kill them. The fights aren't meant to be pitched battles to the death but more like skirmishes. It gives you a chance to figure out if you're outmatched and retreat or if there's another unit in your army that might be better able to deal with that particular fight. Maybe it's possible you got a really gimped hero, I suppose. I didn't think they could get weak enough to not be able to win basic fights, but maybe if you were really unlucky.

The game really is sort of its own unique thing and it does take a while to wrap your head around that. Maybe it helped that when most of us played the first time we didn't have a bunch of expectations of how things worked since tactical and strategic rpgs didn't really exist at the time. At least not as full-blown genres of their own.

EDIT: here's a longplay I found on youtube. It doesn't have any commentary but should show generally how the game is "supposed" to be played. So maybe watch a bit of that and if it doesn't help try asking here again, I guess.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 14, 2013

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Your first time through OB you should probably make a unit that consists of a gryphon in the front row and 3 wizards in the back. You can use this unit to wipe out any army but lay off once their ALI starts dropping because you don't want it to go lower than 10.

You don't have to worry too much about ALI except you want one unit that has really high CHA and ALI to liberate towns for you so it raises your reputation meter. Other than that just make a bunch of cool units with whatever mix you want or I guess look up what units class change into what and work towards that.

I love OB so much. I use to read over this website all the time when I first started playing it in high school. http://www.twsrv.net/ogre/ It's straight out of the 90s but has lots of useful information.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Joshlemagne posted:

Did you have two healers? The hero's unit should be strong enough to win fights. And you do want to have other units for backup, at least three or four. Not just for support but also to develop them. You're controlling an army made up of multiple units. You deploy them and move them like any strategy game to complete objectives, block choke points, and so on. It seems like your too focused on the hero and his unit. The game is a bit more like an RTS than a traditional SRPG in a lot of respects. I guess watching a level or two on youtube like you said might help since you seem to have some fundamentally weird ideas about the game. It seems like most of the LPs of the game I remember don't really deal with the basic mechanics, though. They all seem to assume some knowledge of the game for some reason.
My hero unit had one healer. I tried that map again with Lans(Lars?) and he was able to beat some of the enemies back, though thus far I haven't been able to kill anything.

Thanks for the videos. It definitely does seem to be more like a RTS than a RPG. So you can deploy multiple units as well, though it costs money. Is there a way to move individual people from unit to unit? I guess the idea is that if you liberate enough towns, you'll get enough money coming in that you can continuously buy items or deploy new units? I'm still not sure I'm sold on the auto battle approach (Why does he constantly select "Weak" in that video?) but OK that stuff makes sense now.

Honestly it doesn't seem like a game I would want to play in the first place, but at least now I think I understand what it's about. Going in blind was a big mistake.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

My hero unit had one healer. I tried that map again with Lans(Lars?) and he was able to beat some of the enemies back, though thus far I haven't been able to kill anything.

Thanks for the videos. It definitely does seem to be more like a RTS than a RPG. So you can deploy multiple units as well, though it costs money. Is there a way to move individual people from unit to unit? I guess the idea is that if you liberate enough towns, you'll get enough money coming in that you can continuously buy items or deploy new units? I'm still not sure I'm sold on the auto battle approach (Why does he constantly select "Weak" in that video?) but OK that stuff makes sense now.

Honestly it doesn't seem like a game I would want to play in the first place, but at least now I think I understand what it's about. Going in blind was a big mistake.

Yes you can move individual guys in between units. It's in the base menu somewhere. I don't remember if you can do it once the fight starts or only in between levels. Also there is a size limit for units which I think is five or six for human guys and for the larger guys like gryphons is two plus one human. As for selecting weak the different tactics are for different goals. "Strong" is for distributing damage to make whole-unit kills easier since I believe the AI retreats if too many units die. "Weak" is for picking off individuals in a unit since dead guys don't do damage and make the unit less threatening. "Leader" kills the unit leader which forces the unit to auto-retreat to its base (this also happens if the leader of one of your units dies). The purpose for that is you just don't want to deal with them at the moment. Once they get to their base they'll be fully restored so it's a short-term strategy. I don't remember what other tactics there are. You can actually have a fair amount of control over the battles by changing the tactics in the fights.

Also while the game is real time you can pause and give orders whenever you want so it's not based on twitch skills or anything. It's kind of like KOTOR or Baldur's Gate in that it plays real time because that's more exciting but at the core is still all about stats and leveling up and careful strategic planning.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

01011001 posted:

Yep. It's pretty fun except that the overworld segments get preposterously boring after a certain point because there really aren't enough/varied encounters.

Stelas posted:

It's pretty interesting. I've got it and only played a little, but need to get back to it sometime. So far it seems like a Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with bonus choose-your-own-adventure segments and camp management, and they seem to be more than willing to go 'hey, Conquistadors were shits'.

The game is good, but it certainly doesn't pull any punches. Or maybe I'm just bad. I'm playing on the default Normal setting and this happened yesterday: after finishing the quest where you have to fight a mirrored version of your own party in dreamland, half my party members were injured and I started running out of medicine. I tried to make it back to Santo Domingo, but one of the events kept firing where natives raid your camp and steal all your poo poo. I am unable to stop them because of all my good fighters are out of commission. So even if I manage to make it to Santo Domingo, it doesn't matter because I won't have any treasure with which to buy medicine.

I basically lost the game, unless I cheat or fiddle with the difficulty sliders. I was frustrated yesterday, but now I can kind of appreciate it. The game beat me. I wasn't good enough. Maybe I actually should have bothered figuring out how traps work, but regardless: I lost, and I like it that a 2013 game has the guts to do that.