Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Davincie posted:

What new promotions do they have?

A handful, the only one I remember is +carrying capacity which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I just won a Diplomatic Victory on King as Portugal and, while it was a ton of fun to rack up massive amounts of happiness and gold, I want to echo the sentiments of everyone else in regards to city-states and the World Congress. With the exception of 2 or 3 CS, I didn't have any competition in regards to buying them out, and was able to pass or fail everything in the Congress as I saw fit. The rest of the game didn't really matter, I was allied with everyone and just sat back while they fought each other, eventually racking up the required delegates and passing World Leader. It was way easier, and more successful, than any other strategy I've tried. So, yeah, fix that please Firaxis.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I somehow managed to get all the way to the industrial age without ever unlocking a single naval tech. Being in a small area with Elizabeth, Gajah, and Korea made things pretty harsh. Inca got the entire bottom half of the continent to themselves.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The balance in the lategame feels really great now. I just won an extremely close Immortal game as Brazil where I managed to win via culture and diplomacy on exactly the same turn. The AI is still pretty easy to abuse (Germany had a science victory locked down, but they let me bribe them to go to war with every other civ for 7 GPT per civ, breaking a ton of research agreements and ensuring that they couldn't spent production on Apollo parts :byodood:).

I got pretty freaked out when 4 of the Huns' cities decided to flip to my team in the span of 10 turns. I wish there were a warning for crap like that, or at least a better way to mitigate happiness losses when that happens. I went from ~40 happiness with the luxury happiness policy to ~-10 in basically no time at all. At least the cities came with 3 free wonders and a bunch of art!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gothy McAngstydie posted:

Holy cow I am bad at this game. It is superfun and neat to play, I picked it up on sale and have played Venice a couple times since. I literally do not know what I am doing at all with any other civilization. I tried Theodora for the religion bonus but there are so many options I didn't know what to do with New Orthodoxy and I floundered until I got out-expanded by nearby China and England. I had like 3 cities and a settler for my fourth building until China snapped up the real estate. I guess I shouldn't have been so afraid of war?

What is one tip that you would give to someone who hasn't ever played Civilization before?

Just one? Focus and specialize. That means coming up with specific goals and putting your entire empire to work achieving them and not straying from that. If, for example, your current goal is to take over your entire continent, then don't waste time building wonders. The Colossus is nice, but you could build a couple catapults instead. If your goal is to build the dominant religion, build shrines before granaries, ignore the great library completely, etc.

I make this point because the easiest trap you can fall into, and the thing I see new players get wrong more than anything else, is to generalize your empire, and to try to do everything. They also tend to just aimlessly fart around until the mid to late game without any idea of how they will win. Don't build every building in every city, don't try to do everything, and by turn 15 or 20, have a general plan for how you want to win the game and come up with periodic short and mid term goals to accomplish that. Plans can also change and that's fine, just don't be aimless.

TheGame posted:

I got pretty freaked out when 4 of the Huns' cities decided to flip to my team in the span of 10 turns. I wish there were a warning for crap like that, or at least a better way to mitigate happiness losses when that happens. I went from ~40 happiness with the luxury happiness policy to ~-10 in basically no time at all. At least the cities came with 3 free wonders and a bunch of art!

You have to keep an eye on the culture victory screen. The one that tells you your influence level with everyone, their happiness level, and whether or not they're content. If someone is in the midst of a revolutionary wave and their empire happiness is worse than -20, cities are going to start flipping, so be ready for that.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 14, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So is there such a thing as non-ancient era artifacts? How am I supposed to fill out the Louvre?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So is there such a thing as non-ancient era artifacts? How am I supposed to fill out the Louvre?

There are, I think ancient is just more common.

But you should probably be filling the Louvre with art, not artifacts. Using the same icon was an incredibly stupid idea because they aren't the same thing. There more sort of...back up in absence of real artwork.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yup. Artifacts generated from events happening in the later age. It's just that so many, MANY of the events will be ancient era due to how many barbarians you will fight.

RagnarokAngel posted:

There are, I think ancient is just more common.

But you should probably be filling the Louvre with art, not artifacts. Using the same icon was an incredibly stupid idea because they aren't the same thing.

Louvre requires 2 art and 2 artifacts.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Oh does it? Nevermind I'm dumb.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Won a diplomatic victory on emperor as Shoshone quite easily. Kinda bummed that it seems you cant buy votes from other civs no matter how friendly you are with them, and its simply a 'acquire all the CS votes to win' situation.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Will the AI ever vote for anybody not themselves when it comes to WC host? Even friendly civs that I am influential over just throw all their delegates at voting for themselves.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, I had a game with a renaissance artifact once, so I know at least that exists. Classical isn't at all uncommon either, you just have to keep excavating and trying.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

Will the AI ever vote for anybody not themselves when it comes to WC host? Even friendly civs that I am influential over just throw all their delegates at voting for themselves.

I'm wondering if maybe liberating their capital would do it

But yeah, diplo victory feels like 'pay cash to city states, win game' right now, and trade routes generate tons of cash sooooo

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

thehoodie posted:

I just won a Diplomatic Victory on King as Portugal and, while it was a ton of fun to rack up massive amounts of happiness and gold, I want to echo the sentiments of everyone else in regards to city-states and the World Congress. With the exception of 2 or 3 CS, I didn't have any competition in regards to buying them out, and was able to pass or fail everything in the Congress as I saw fit. The rest of the game didn't really matter, I was allied with everyone and just sat back while they fought each other, eventually racking up the required delegates and passing World Leader. It was way easier, and more successful, than any other strategy I've tried. So, yeah, fix that please Firaxis.

Firaxis posted:

We have this awesome in-game feature you can take advantage of. It's called the Emperor difficulty.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I had a game with a renaissance artifact once, so I know at least that exists. Classical isn't at all uncommon either, you just have to keep excavating and trying.

In my current game, I actually found an Industrial era artifact. It was a pendant or something. :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fryhtaning posted:

We have this awesome in-game feature you can take advantage of. It's called the Emperor difficulty.

In my last Emperor game I won a science victory

... had I done Diplomatic it would have been faster

It's not just the difficulty setting thats the problem, it's how the AI is interacting (or rather, not interacting) with the city states.

In my last Immortal game the lead AI had 24k+ gold and allowed all the city states to get bought up away from him.

They're either too 'afraid' or 'friendly' to steal them, or not paying enough attention to victory conditions incoming in a few turns.

I haven't played enough games to say its universally true, but uh... it's happened four games in a row for me from Prince to Immortal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

I really wish you had a few turns to send diplomats and try to buy favor for the host votes. There are no politics at all, it's literally "Who has the most city state allies?" The AIs will never vote for anyone else, even when they know they have no chance to win and that their bitter enemy has the most delegates. It would be nice if you could form coalitions or something.

edit: Maybe all WC voting should be done with Instant Runoff voting instead of first past the post. That could solve the "Everyone votes for themselves" problem.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 14, 2013

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
So, I'm probably missing something obvious, but how do you trade great works with other Civs? As much fun as taking cities and pillaging their works is, there's got to be a peaceful way to do it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

So, I'm probably missing something obvious, but how do you trade great works with other Civs? As much fun as taking cities and pillaging their works is, there's got to be a peaceful way to do it.

There are tabs in the new culture/great works screen, go to the one that's for swapping great works.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

victrix posted:

It did for me in my recent Morocco game, yeah. Returning to life + a fat payoff got me votes from someone who'd been wiped out (Wu Zetian, I think?) by the Ottomans.

Granted they were superficial votes because I had more than enough just by myself, but it was neat to be able to woo an AI that much.

Edit: poo poo, you said WC host, not diplomatic victory/world leader. Ignore me.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Inspector_71 posted:

I whined about this a few dozen pages back, and after experimenting, learned that they will, though I have no idea how or why. On the first vote, everyone voted for themselves; after a quicksave reload, I decided to back my buddy Arabia, but we lost the vote again because he threw all his votes behind me so we were back at square one; after ~10 reloads, I finally got Arabia to give me their 8 votes, but still lost at a tie with Celts for WC host.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Thanks for deciding to buy that inquisitor for me, game. I had no need for it, didn't want it at all, never asked for it and could have put that 600 faith towards a great person, but you decided to use it on an inquisitor anyway. God bless you, you spastic, buggy piece of poo poo.

On an unrelated note, I'm surprised there's no world congress/UN resolutions to force a civ to liberate occupied territory. Maybe not force, but give occupied cities a massive(er) happiness penalty.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 14, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So i tried to do deep Honor as my opening with Aztecs to turn the barbarians of the world into my own personal play things, and while the honor opener and closer are good, i really should have just taken the opener and then switched over to Liberty or Tradition, because man those other bonuses give you jack-all for anything other than smashing face.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I dunno, the +1 :) from a garrison one is pretty handy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tendales posted:

This dude over on civfanatics tells you how to make a continents plus plus that distributes the CS a little more evenly. By reports, about half end up on the islands, and half on the main landmass, which sounds like a good mix to me.

This reminds me, I've never really looked into alternate map scripts/editing the default ones since I pretty much just play unmodded and (up until about now) thought that those fell under the mod (and therefore achievement-disabling) category. What do people recommend?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kyrosiris posted:

It was handy back when it was followed by +1 :) from defensive buildings :colbert:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Man, the great works curation and collection really taps my inner sperg, especially playing as France.

Napoleon Bonaparte? More like Napoleon GIMME ALL YOUR ART.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Tulip posted:

So i tried to do deep Honor as my opening with Aztecs to turn the barbarians of the world into my own personal play things, and while the honor opener and closer are good, i really should have just taken the opener and then switched over to Liberty or Tradition, because man those other bonuses give you jack-all for anything other than smashing face.

Tradition with the Aztec UB is ridiculous good. They made liberty better by making it so you can't cheese out a bunch of settlers as easily (you still can though) but tradition should still be the go to opener unless you've got a specific plan in mind.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I know the game makes up about half of the events/ruins out of whole cloth, but I love how absurd they can get.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I never sent anyone or anything besides an auto-explore caraval before, but apparently my Carthaginians were the first to try to settle the north pole in my game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alkydere posted:

I know the game makes up about half of the events/ruins out of whole cloth, but I love how absurd they can get.
Speaking of Events, drat, that's the only thing BNW is missing at this point (well that and vassalage). That was one of my favorite parts about BTS, it just added a layer of narrative flavor to the game. I mean, it's fun enough without, but it was always cool to get "your people have invented magic axe handles" and poo poo. Even negative ones like "an epidemic has started in your city" made the world feel that much more alive.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Alkydere posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure I never sent anyone or anything besides an auto-explore caraval before, but apparently my Carthaginians were the first to try to settle the north pole in my game.

Did you have an automated scout that popped a ruin there? Ruins can cause dig sites to show up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One time I had a site of a classical era battle between two city states, where the two city states were on different continents.

On the subject of swapping great works, is there any way to prevent a civ from initiating swaps with you? I once got screwed out of a theme bonus because a Civ swapped an ancient bead with a classical pottery sherd or some other BS. Is there an option to stop that, or did I do something to make myself vulnerable to it, or why did that happen?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

One time I had a site of a classical era battle between two city states, where the two city states were on different continents.

On the subject of swapping great works, is there any way to prevent a civ from initiating swaps with you? I once got screwed out of a theme bonus because a Civ swapped an ancient bead with a classical pottery sherd or some other BS. Is there an option to stop that, or did I do something to make myself vulnerable to it, or why did that happen?

They can't swap unless you select them as being able to be swapped in the swapping screen. I'm guessing that you may have chosen that piece in there when you were looking to swap, never swapped, and then left it there on accident.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

Did you have an automated scout that popped a ruin there? Ruins can cause dig sites to show up.

Nope. My only scout (on small continents there's really not a reason to make more than 1) died long before I got the ability to cross oceans.

I KNOW the game makes up events out of whole cloth to make sure there's so many sites. My last game I had a dig site that said it was a ruin belonging to a city state in a tile adjacent to my capitol. Made no sense but I didn't mind having an ancient era landmark next to my capitol. Honestly, I don't mind. It gives a sense that perhaps we, the players, don't actually get to know and control everything going on. Just everything of any consequence.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Alkydere posted:

Nope. My only scout (on small continents there's really not a reason to make more than 1) died long before I got the ability to cross oceans.

I KNOW the game makes up events out of whole cloth to make sure there's so many sites. My last game I had a dig site that said it was a ruin belonging to a city state in a tile adjacent to my capitol. Made no sense but I didn't mind having an ancient era landmark next to my capitol. Honestly, I don't mind. It gives a sense that perhaps we, the players, don't actually get to know and control everything going on. Just everything of any consequence.

I had a ruins that detailed some sort of city razing between two city-states near the site. This was a Small Continents map as well, so both city-states and the ruins were on their own continent, they couldn't see each other, and the artifact was dated for the Classical era. The more I thought about it the more :psyduck: it was.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

victrix posted:

But yeah, diplo victory feels like 'pay cash to city states, win game' right now, and trade routes generate tons of cash sooooo

Diplomacy win should have been completely overhauled like culture was. Instead they kinda made it even worse by making money even easier, world leader votes now start automatically once civ(s) get advanced enough, and with how they changed the Globalization tech.

In my first BNW game I was going for science win on king. Was over an era ahead of everyone else and when I got to information era it automatically changed the WC to UN, which started the automatic world leader votes. First vote I just asked my two ally civs to vote for me thinking I had no chance of actually winning the thing, but ended up being just 4 votes short. So for the second vote I researched Globalization(it now makes your diplomats placed in other civs give you votes), and by bribing every citystate with my massive pile of money. That was more than enough to vote myself as the world leader, even though even my allies refused to vote for me in the second vote. Would be lot more interesting gameplay if the diplomacy win actually somehow required you to play diplomatically, instead of just buying the citystates to votes for you.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I always thought of diplo victory in this game just being economic victory lifted out of alpha centauri. In AC it was literally just forcing every other player to sell you their cities involuntarily, with some modifiers for how much they like/didn't like you.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Zilkin posted:

Diplomacy win should have been completely overhauled like culture was. Instead they kinda made it even worse by making money even easier, world leader votes now start automatically once civ(s) get advanced enough, and with how they changed the Globalization tech.

In my first BNW game I was going for science win on king. Was over an era ahead of everyone else and when I got to information era it automatically changed the WC to UN, which started the automatic world leader votes. First vote I just asked my two ally civs to vote for me thinking I had no chance of actually winning the thing, but ended up being just 4 votes short. So for the second vote I researched Globalization(it now makes your diplomats placed in other civs give you votes), and by bribing every citystate with my massive pile of money. That was more than enough to vote myself as the world leader, even though even my allies refused to vote for me in the second vote. Would be lot more interesting gameplay if the diplomacy win actually somehow required you to play diplomatically, instead of just buying the citystates to votes for you.

Yeah, with the new diplomatic framework in place, getting votes from city-states is a holdover that isn't really necessary, especially when nearly everything you vote on has no effect on city-states (except Embargoing them, which you can ram down their throats with their own votes). Some cool changes might be reducing city-states to zero votes base with small numbers added for appropriate religion/policy choices, inability to send delegates on your own proposals (no relying on your own delegate muscle, probably need three proposals at a time so you have a choice to make), and a minimum Yea threshold instead of simply getting more Yeas. Would put a lot more pressure on actually interacting with other civs and keeping them happy.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah, I typically turn city-states down when I make maps. Too many of them make them feel like a chore since one or two computers just buy most of them until your engine is running.

Also, wow Brazil. I had Piety and Aesthetics tree both done and thanks to buying great artists and Chicken Itza I had the last 50 turns of my game or so in a Carnival, pumping out 300+ tourism points a turn pre modern age, and then nearly doubling to 500-600 after I got hotels. At that point there was no need for any of the other tourism multipliers- a few Great Musicians at 3k power were more than enough to tip the last civilization.

A few turns before I won via throwing three great musicians at Carthage. It's not even the atomic era!

I also will say I underestimated great musicians. With some empire tourism they can do some serious raw tourism bombs!

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

I honestly think that one a bad policy on its own. Especially since the one it unlocks is more lackluster now. I don't like to garrison units except in times of defensive warfare. And if you're keeping a bunch of garrisoned units around, that's driving up unit maintenance cost and you're essentially getting a glorified +1 happiness building for like 2+ gpt maintenance.

• Locked thread