Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm playing as Morocco and I just spent ten seconds clicking on an Aztec unit trying to figure out why I couldn't select it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

thehumandignity posted:

I'm playing as Morocco and I just spent ten seconds clicking on an Aztec unit trying to figure out why I couldn't select it.

I'm playing as Brazil and I have to zoom in on the map every few turns to figure out whether a random forest/jungle inside my borders or not.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
I loaded up my Ashurbanipalocalypse game and was greeted by this:

Looks like the happiness bug is back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I honestly think that one a bad policy on its own. Especially since the one it unlocks is more lackluster now. I don't like to garrison units except in times of defensive warfare. And if you're keeping a bunch of garrisoned units around, that's driving up unit maintenance cost and you're essentially getting a glorified +1 happiness building for like 2+ gpt maintenance.

It also gives 2 Culture per garrison now. 5GPT for a Monument with +1 Happy, up to +60% to combat strength and (if ranged) an extra attack per turn isn't too shabby.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cathulhu posted:

I loaded up my Ashurbanipalocalypse game and was greeted by this:

Looks like the happiness bug is back.

I dunno, the math looks right to me. Burn New York :black101:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I remember I Civ IV you could add map annotations so you could do dumb role play poo poo like name rivers or useful things like tag future city sites. Is that option still available somewhere in Civ V?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I remember I Civ IV you could add map annotations so you could do dumb role play poo poo like name rivers or useful things like tag future city sites. Is that option still available somewhere in Civ V?

Not as far as I'm aware which is really annoying.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
The AI can actually be super proactive about grabbing city states if it puts its mind to a diplo victory. In my last science game, my rival Bismarck was obviously going for it and grabbing all the CSes, I actually had to struggle to keep him from getting voted in because I was relatively poor. The problem is that it's an all-or-nothing thing and anybody who doesn't want to be World Emperor himself won't oppose you at all.

Personally, I think two things are necessary: making the AI compete, yes, but also some kind of change to how gold gifts work. They should make them influence-over-time and add a cooldown, otherwise diplo victory belongs to whoever among the competitors is last in the turn order. And that's dumb.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I'm just playing a game with Greece in it and it has every city state as an ally and I have to decide between being embargoed by a civ with a single 6 pop city or killing it and alienating the entire world because I dared kill off an aggressive warring psycho-civ that has literally fought all the other civs simultaneously.

Strongly considering reloading 10 turns ago and setting it up so some other civ kills them off. And then never playing against Greece again.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Is it bad that I name my religion "ARE FREEDUM" when I play as Washington?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pvt.Scott posted:

Is it bad that I name my religion "ARE FREEDUM" when I play as Washington?

I named my religion "Vuvuzelas" when playing as the Zulu, so not really. :v:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
One of my tenets disappeared. The game just... I don't know, erased it. Is that something that's supposed to happen? Some tenet or policy? Or is that just a bug?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Ok, so someone named PrimEvalCIV is doing a deity lp on youtube, http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=500786

I was watching it and a few things he was doing were bugging me (weird exploration choices mostly, and his starting tile) and since he helpfully posted a save, I decided to try it out. Interesting game since you are on an island with Hiawatha, Shaka and Babylon.

I ended up grabbing the northern desert, the jungle to the south and a nice salt city Babylon didn't fill in for no particular reason. Currently friends with Babylon and Hiawatha, and I just bribed Shaka with my useless extra copper to attack Babylon to hopefully keep them both busy (they are between me and Hiawatha) Looks like a fun game, although someone is snatching wonders on another continent.

Here you can see the overall look of my part of the map, it is T64 and I just got a great prophet, planning on Pagodas and probably Tithe.

T64 and I'm not dead last in everything? Can't complain.

I'm curious how other people are playing at the moment, so I figured this would be a good a place as any to share a save and see what people are coming up with. I know I'm still feeling my way around the social policies, especially exploration/aesthetics/commerce. Keep in mind that it is Deity, so if you weren't comfortable with it before BNW, I wouldn't just jump in.

So far my basic strategy is to settle as many early cities on the coast as I can and get cargo ships up and running ASAP. Shoshone and Indonesia have been my favorite Civs, and Shoshone seem very well tailored to higher level AI games thanks to the free Himeji Castle.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

thehumandignity posted:

One of my tenets disappeared. The game just... I don't know, erased it. Is that something that's supposed to happen? Some tenet or policy? Or is that just a bug?

Are you sure it didn't shift over? I thought the same thing happened but it turns out that the game arranges tenets in alphabetical order per tier. I took Capitalism as my fourth tier 1 Freedom tenet and it shoved it over to the second tier 1 column.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno, the math looks right to me. Burn New York :black101:

Yeah, the math is correct, but it wasn't when I made the save.
After some googling around, it turns out the bug works by not giving you the correct amount of unhappiness until you restart the game, which makes it get unbroken, and dumps you at whatever amount is correct.
I guess this is the drawback to siege towers, you conquer too much. :black101:

Currently burning half my empire, which should get me under that dreaded -10

e:

Problem solved. :flame:

Odysseus S. Grant fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 14, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kyrosiris posted:

Are you sure it didn't shift over? I thought the same thing happened but it turns out that the game arranges tenets in alphabetical order per tier. I took Capitalism as my fourth tier 1 Freedom tenet and it shoved it over to the second tier 1 column.

No, I had to buy my only Tier 3 tenet twice.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So, I've been playing a few inconclusive games of BNW and I generally like it. The way trade routes are handled is dumb however; it's micromanagement hell once you get into a war with someone.

Also I don't understand the new culture system. I can't seem to come up with enough ways to produce tourism while the AI, well...

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Basically, if you aren't the strongest player, or you haven't been gunning 100% for culture and tourism, it's just a good way to have angry people for the rest of the game once people pick their ideologies. I don't even put poo poo into tenets because it feels like I have literally no control over ideology pressure

edit: I'm finding trading posts and commerce to be integral to having a self-sustaining empire when the poo poo hits the fan and all of your trade routes are immediately vanished into thin air. gently caress them, trade food build megacities all day

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 14, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

So, I've been playing a few inconclusive games of BNW and I generally like it. The way trade routes are handled is dumb however; it's micromanagement hell once you get into a war with someone.

Also I don't understand the new culture system. I can't seem to come up with enough ways to produce tourism while the AI, well...

The AI what? If you're playing as Venice then that screenshot doesn't show us anything about the AI's tourism output.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

thehumandignity posted:

The AI what? If you're playing as Venice then that screenshot doesn't show us anything about the AI's tourism output.

I assumed the 13.000 Culture Austria is making GBS threads out would affect their tourism too.

What do those numbers show anyway?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really can't work out how to interpret that screen in my games.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I assumed the 13.000 Culture Austria is making GBS threads out would affect their tourism too.

Lifetime tourism to that civ vs lifetime culture generated by that civ.

You become Influential at 100% or higher, and win a Cultural victory when you're Influential with everyone.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

That screen is comparing your tourism to their culture. If your ideology differs from theirs, then you will inflict unhappiness on them the closer your tourism gets to their culture, forcing them to change ideologies or enter crippling unhappiness, suffering revolts and eventually full insurrection, allowing you to flip their cities. If your tourism reaches the level of influential with every civilization, you can win a cultural victory.

If you don't plan on winning a cultural victory, then you do not need to ever worry about tourism. Culture represents your defence against other civs' tourism.

Other than that the only real relationship between a single civ's culture and tourism is that artists are used to generate both.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm really having trouble figuring out what's a good number for culture per era, and more importantly, the best plan of attack to get culture. Amphitheater everywhere, guilds in one city?

Mostly I've just been relying on religion and religious buildings because I haven't explored the rest of it. Too busy spending that production on killing things or building things :colbert:

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 14, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Another thing I noticed: Am I just retarded from not playing in a long time or does the usual National College Rush start take way way longer than it used to?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Another thing I noticed: Am I just retarded from not playing in a long time or does the usual National College Rush start take way way longer than it used to?

Depending on the civ it can be a lot faster. I've gotten the GL by like turn 30 with the Shoshone.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm sitting on a win right now, with a giant, unassailable army, crapping out units and gifting them to city-states, collecting influence with them every three turns, just waiting for the United Nations to be founded so I can collect my diplomatic victory. I let the Aztecs build the Globe Theatre because this is my first BNW game and I didn't know it existed. If I had built that when they did, I think I would have won a cultural victory by now. You need those pre-museum wonders that will allow you to slot multiple great works and collect a theme bonus that will allow you to get the early tourism lead necessary to get a decisive victory in.

Near as I can tell, every building that allows multiple works/artifacts to be slotted will give a theme bonus that will roughly double its tourism output or more. For example, your Hermitage will give you a theme bonus of 6 tourism per turn, for a total of 12, if you fill it with three great works of art, each from a different era and civilization. I have one from my own civilization and the medieval era, one from a neighbour from the classical era, and one from a second neighbour from the renaissance era. Museums will give a smaller bonus of +4 with the right conditions (Listed on the cultural overview), but more importantly they come much later than some of the wonders.

Hazmat Sam
Dec 25, 2010

The dead do not "get high"
Playing Aztecs, rushed the Mongols in classical era, and notice that every city I make or take drops me down on gold, Even he Mongol's stupid 15 pop capitol. Trade routes only seem to give 10 gold each, so I can't even afford to have monuments now, let alone fancy poo poo like "a second catapult". I'd be totally screwed right now if the AI could actually understand that jaguars are different from warriors and that suicide attacking can not actually wear them down. I'm currently staying in the black through the honor finisher, but I'm running out of people to conquer on my continent, and I'm gonna crash hard while I'm teching to astronomy since I could never afford to build any libraries. How exactly do you win by domination now?

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
So it looks like Tourism compares to another civ's Tourism when determining whether the ideology influences it. Perhaps instead of or in addition to comparing to culture. Because in my most recent game, France's influence over me was still at Exotic, way behind my culture, but as soon as I adopted Autocracy (him being Order) I still got the public opinion hit. No other ideologies have been adopted at this point.

Can anyone else confirm this? This public opinion stuff is really the only thing I'm having trouble grasping.

edit:Oh ok thanks I get it now. Makes sense I guess.

Barent fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 14, 2013

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
One's level of influence is a comparison of lifetime tourism to lifetime culture. It ranges from Unknown to Exotic (10%) to Familiar (30%) to Popular (60%) to Influential to Dominant.

Ideological pressure is a comparison of your influence over a civ and their influence over you. So if you haven't been focusing on tourism at all, even Exotic influence will be enough to push you around.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Barent posted:

So it looks like Tourism compares to another civ's Tourism when determining whether the ideology influences it. Perhaps instead of or in addition to comparing to culture. Because in my most recent game, France's influence over me was still at Exotic, way behind my culture, but as soon as I adopted Autocracy (him being Order) I still got the public opinion hit. No other ideologies have been adopted at this point.

Can anyone else confirm this? This public opinion stuff is really the only thing I'm having trouble grasping.

This post is really good and reflects my experiences perfectly:

Gully Foyle posted:

So the way it works is that there are five levels of tourism influence (based on your tourism v. their culture) as below.
0 - Unknown
1 - Exotic
2 - Familiar
3 - Popular
4 - Influential
5 - Dominant

Once ideologies roll around:

If you have different ideologies: it compares your influence you have on the AI with the influence the AI has on you. So if you have influential on them, but they only have familiar on you, you are exerting +2 'force' on them. This is done for every other civ that has a different ideology.
If you have the same ideology: again, influence is compared, but the difference is now used to prop them up (lets call it 'defense').

Now, all of the 'force' on the civ is compared to all of the 'defense' on the civ. If force > defense, then the civ will start to suffer happiness penalties. There are different levels of this:
0 - Content (defence is equal or better than force) - 0 unhappiness
-1 - Dissidents - Highest of: 1 unhappiness/city or 1 unhappiness/10 pop
-2 - Resistance - Highest of(I think) 2/city or 1/5 pop
-3 - Revolutionary Wave - Highest of 4/city or 1/3 pop

The level corresponds to the amount of force compared to defense. If you force them below -20 unhappiness this way, their cities may start to flip to the civ with the dominant ideology. Another option is to switch ideologies, but they lose all the tenets in the old tree (I believe, not sure about that). And even swtiching might not save them, if both alternate ideologies are putting out lots of pressure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thehumandignity posted:

You need those pre-museum wonders that will allow you to slot multiple great works and collect a theme bonus that will allow you to get the early tourism lead necessary to get a decisive victory in.

I’m tempted to get them just to deny them to the AI, even if I don’t care about a cultural victory. If an AI gets multiple tourism wonders you haven’t banked enough culture from guilds/natural wonders/city states, it’s easy to be plunged in a revolutionary wave the moment you pick an ideology.

The surest way I’ve found to deal with this is to just suck it up and have enough of a happiness surplus to ride the revolutionary wave.

This is especially important if you’re playing Poland: the free social policies do nothing to counteract tourism. You could be in for surprise if you’ve been relying on the UA for your policy needs at the neglect of culture.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 14, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I guess I really am retarded. Anyone got a decent step-by-step guide how to conduct siege warfare? I mean I'm hearing all this stuff about people conquering another civ with nothing but two spearmen and a couple of archers but when I try the same, the best I can hope for is a stalemate.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

I guess I really am retarded. Anyone got a decent step-by-step guide how to conduct siege warfare? I mean I'm hearing all this stuff about people conquering another civ with nothing but two spearmen and a couple of archers but when I try the same, the best I can hope for is a stalemate.

Lots of Artillery helps.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

Lots of Artillery helps.

Catapults get shot to poo poo more often than not or can't even reach the city thanks to hills/forests everywhere.

I'll see if I can upload an early save from one of my games so maybe you people can give me some direct help.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Here are the rules for ranged units if you weren’t already familiar with them. The game doesn’t explain them well. Courtesy SA’s own Captain Fargle:

If you’re on a diagonal, if the hex on either side is clear, you’re good.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks, that's a really helpful explanation.

If anyone wants to look at what I'm currently having issues with, here's the file:
http://speedy.sh/Zvg2c/Ahmad-al-Mansur-0107-BC-0200.zip

As you can see, I was a bit boxed in by the mountain rage to the north. I discovered the Mongols while they were attempting to conquer Manila and figured they'll try to kill me next anyway so I declared war to help the CS. They diverted their army south and came through the mountain pass, where I easily held them off.

The problem is, now that I'm on the offense, I can't take Beshbalik. The moment I move my catapult in range, it gets shot to poo poo. My archers alone don't do enough damage to bring the city down. v:confused:v

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

This is because those people are probably playing on Marathon speed which allows you to get archers with 3 range (because one of the things that isn't scaled down on that game speed is unit experience gain) which makes conquering cities trivial. Those of us playing on Quick generally have to wait until Artillery to get 3 range units.

Here's my guide to capturing a city pre-artillery (at which point it's trivial, get four artillery and bombard everything) on a fast game speed:

1. Unit composition is key - you don't want too many melee units because they have the glaring flaw of taking damage when they attack. Melee units are in your force to act as meatshields and to capture the city once it has 0 HP. Many players don't even bother to bring along infantry-type units, instead holding back a single fast melee unit like a horseman to conquer the city at the end, or a melee naval unit if it's a coastal city.

2. Archer units are your workhorse units. They can do anything, shoot the enemy units, bombard the city, even take the occasional hit. The majority of your force should be archers.

3. Siege units are specialist anti-city units. You probably only want a couple of these in your force, unless you're attacking an enemy with no real army like a weak city state.

4. You generally want to defeat the enemy army before you get into range of their cities. This is where archers are helpful, since they can kill the enemy while staying away from the cities. Once you've beaten down the enemy army, it's time to set up for your city assault.

5. City assaults are races. Once you enter the firing range of an enemy city, you only have a short amount of time before it will destroy your units, and it will be regenerating the whole time. This goes double if it's a city with an archer in it, triple if it's a coastal city with an archer and a galleass in it. For this reason, you want to set up your units outside of the range of the enemy city, then move them all in at the same time. Bonus points if your archers can shoot on the same turn as they move, but terrain doesn't always allow this.

6. Once you're shooting a city, that city should always have priority. It will be self-healing, so if the enemy shows up with a bunch of units, you need to make the choice between pulling back from the city to fight the enemy units, or gritting your teeth, accepting that you're going to take losses, and continuing to focus fire the city.

7. Pillaging can save your units. Remember that an archer only needs one movement point to shoot, so he can shoot and pillage in the same turn. Same thing for set-up siege units.

8. Bringing a large enough force is key. Always try to bring as many archers/siege units as will fit in the area around the enemy city. Remember, speed is key to taking low losses, and if you're taking low losses that means you're going to have more experienced units for the next city.

Things that make sieges trivial:

Hunnic battering rams, Assyrian siege towers, English longbowmen, Arabian camel archers, Mongolian keshiks, battleships, artillery, bombers.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Catapults get shot to poo poo more often than not or can't even reach the city thanks to hills/forests everywhere.

I'll see if I can upload an early save from one of my games so maybe you people can give me some direct help.

You need to give them something else to shoot than your catapults then. What I usually do is gather my invasion army just outside the city's shooting range, and then move them all(at least most)in during the same turn. This way they can still shoot at my units obviously, but the rest will still take the city down. Also if your unit isn't completely killed move it outside the range again to heal.

Also if it's a coastal city I find navy extremely useful for city invasions. The galleass > frigate > battleship line is very useful since they are basically very mobile arty, with the obvious limitation that they can't shoot very far inland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
This is necessary knowledge for my plans: if you capture an AI-puppeted city and choose to puppet it yourself, can you choose to liberate it at a later time, just like razing?

• Locked thread