Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gothy McAngstydie posted:

I tried this. My start didn't give me much in the way of Faith production for my first tenet, but I had like, 7 Horses within reach of my first couple cities (which pissed Catherine right off) and went Open Pasture and Tithe instead, making sure to get the 3 faith buildings at some point. I ended up winning in the middle of the Medieval era, but I am a huge babby who doesn't play on the had difficulties so your mileage may vary. It was neat!

How did you win? Culture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DStecks posted:

Holy gently caress, Impi. You know what happens when a warlike AI gets a unit that is both incredibly better than the one it replaces, and replaces one which the AI tends to spam like crazy already? PAIN.

I'd say "just attack them before they can get their crazy first strike spear throw in" but the ikanda promotions give like +30% defense against ranged, making them a pain to deal with, I'm sure. I wouldn't know, I'm too busy doing a medieval blitzkrieg on Japan right now with my own Impi.

The Ikanda promotions + a Great General + Discipline + Flanking turns the Impi into a non-stop steamroller of doom.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 14, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Has anybody else been experiencing massive increases in barbarian aggression and organization? Ever since BNW came out, I spend at least the first 100 turns of the game fighting off massive, constant barbarian invasions. I can't keep trade routes up, workers are in constant danger. I'm just being overwhelemed. I've even lost my capital too them in TWO games. I regularly have 4-5 barbs in my city's vision.

and no, raging barbarians is not turned on.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

FrancoFish posted:

Has anybody else been experiencing massive increases in barbarian aggression and organization? Ever since BNW came out, I spend at least the first 100 turns of the game fighting off massive, constant barbarian invasions. I can't keep trade routes up, workers are in constant danger. I'm just being overwhelemed. I've even lost my capital too them in TWO games. I regularly have 4-5 barbs in my city's vision.

You need to be more aggressive about clearing camps near you. If a camp is going to attack your civ send an archer out to clear it, a single archer or an archer+ a scout can easily clear a barb camp before it becomes a problem.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'd say "just attack them before they can get their crazy first strike spear throw in" but the ikanda promotions give like +30% defense against ranged, making them a pain to deal with, I'm sure. I wouldn't know, I'm too busy doing a medieval blitzkrieg on Japan right now with my own Impi.

The Ikanda promotions + a Great General + Discipline + Flanking turns the Impi into a non-stop steamroller of doom.

The best part is that I'm Venice, and not doing great to begin with; so my military replenishment rate is limited as hell, and conducting a defensive war absolutely halts all other progress except research. I lucked out by pulling off a trade mission (buying the city would have been nice, but I needed the 1000 gold to buy an army so I don't die), but I think I'm still going to just straight-up lose this game. I started in tundra with very few hills or forest, so Venice itself isn't very good at anything, and like an idiot I decided to just roll with it instead of getting a new map, and guess what African warmonger with a bullshit unique unit happened to be my next door neighbour?

Also my army is currently 90% ranged attackers. So yeah, I can do basically gently caress-all.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

uPen posted:

You need to be more aggressive about clearing camps near you. If a camp is going to attack your civ send an archer out to clear it, a single archer or an archer+ a scout can easily clear a barb camp before it becomes a problem.

It just seems like I'm starting with 3-4 camps surrounding my cities every time. They also seem to spawn way more units than before.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

FrancoFish posted:

You need to go after the camps, before they drown you in units. Usually 2 warriors is enough to take down camps quickly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FrancoFish posted:

I was wondering about Cultural poo poo. My question is, do we still need to keep very small empires to have a shot? OR do the social policies not matter quite as much as before?

The first world congress just convened in 1600 and with my typical three city layout my culture is rapidly becoming dominant, so it appears to work. You can probably get looser with it now that the utopian victory is out. I probably should start now, actually, but I think I'll see how this goes, then do a new game with what I've learned.

e: The weird thing is the AI has really reined in how many cities they make. They all have between 3 and 6 as far as I can see. Japan never went past 3, though easily could've.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 14, 2013

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

FrancoFish posted:

No, you're totally right. Barbarians got a significant buff to map presence - they spawn faster, and they spawn handaxes and horsemen. They're still easy to deal with once you have an army, but it's a lot harder to wing it with no real defense force without getting stuff pillaged and workers/caravans threatened.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DStecks posted:

The best part is that I'm Venice, and not doing great to begin with; so my military replenishment rate is limited as hell, and conducting a defensive war absolutely halts all other progress except research. I lucked out by pulling off a trade mission (buying the city would have been nice, but I needed the 1000 gold to buy an army so I don't die), but I think I'm still going to just straight-up lose this game. I started in tundra with very few hills or forest, so Venice itself isn't very good at anything, and like an idiot I decided to just roll with it instead of getting a new map, and guess what African warmonger with a bullshit unique unit happened to be my next door neighbour?

Also my army is currently 90% ranged attackers. So yeah, I can do basically gently caress-all.

Remember that you get any units the city state has when buying it out. In that circumstance, you may want to consider buying out a militaristic city state instead of using it to generate gold. You can often get more units buy taking the city state than spending the gold from the trade mission. My one Venice game was oddly militaristic because I started next to Genghis and decided to strike first, buying a city state on his border with a couple spearmen and a composite bow and supplementing that with some catapults and a swordsman. On higher difficulties, the city states field even more units, so you can pretty much buy an instant army that happens to come with a city.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 14, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Remember that you get any units the city state has when buying it out. In that circumstance, you may want to consider buying out a militaristic city state instead of using it to generate gold. You can often get more units buy taking the city state than spending the gold from the trade mission.

I don't think it had any units to speak of, and the mission let me buy four swordsmen, so I think I picked the best option. Still retired that game, though. :smith:

Though, on a wicked awesome note, Civ finally has GalCiv-style trade routes! :woop: I've wanted that feature since Civ 3!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

DStecks posted:

I don't think it had any units to speak of, and the mission let me buy four swordsmen, so I think I picked the best option. Still retired that game, though. :smith:

Though, on a wicked awesome note, Civ finally has GalCiv-style trade routes! :woop: I've wanted that feature since Civ 3!

You'll unwant them by the time you have 14+ of them going. When you get 20, that's almost every turn spent looking through the list trying to find "Previous Route", nevermind taking the time to find the optimal routes with the chart.

I hope they come up with a better solution in a patch. Even on my beefy rig the whole thing takes too long once you start regularly going into the charts and having it pause trying to put together the network of all possible trade routes. Heaven help you if you buy all the city states too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

City states are a bunch of hackers y'all.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gunboat Diplomacy is unbelievably powerful. And one of the most cleverly-named tenets.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zigmidge posted:

You'll unwant them by the time you have 14+ of them going. When you get 20, that's almost every turn spent looking through the list trying to find "Previous Route", nevermind taking the time to find the optimal routes with the chart.

I hope they come up with a better solution in a patch. Even on my beefy rig the whole thing takes too long once you start regularly going into the charts and having it pause trying to put together the network of all possible trade routes. Heaven help you if you buy all the city states too.

How do you pick your routes? If it's by gold, sort by that. If it's only to city-states, close the other sections.

It's not that messy, people.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I really wish forts still doubled as canals like they did in Civ IV (up to 2 tiles only). Is there a mod for that?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
The religious bonuses on Deity might be a bit out of hand thanks to Piety. I've been straight locked out of a religion before The Hagia Sophia was built. I hope in their first tweak they change it so I don't see enhanced religions with reformation beliefs before T50.

I really wish forts still doubled as canals like they did in Civ IV (up to 2 tiles only). Is there a mod for that?

I don't know, but I've been strategically settling cities as canals for a while now. Coastal cities are so good thanks to internal trade routes, I want as many as possible anyway.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fryhtaning posted:

Gunboat Diplomacy is unbelievably powerful. And one of the most cleverly-named tenets.

How many units do you have to park outside/near a city-state to threaten it for Gunboat Diplomacy to kick in?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fryhtaning posted:

Treaty Organization is way better. You don’t have to park poo poo all around the map just to intimidate city‐states.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

I don't know, but I've been strategically settling cities as canals for a while now. Coastal cities are so good thanks to internal trade routes, I want as many as possible anyway.

While yes, this is possible in some circumstances, but not all. The way it worked in Civ IV was that a ship could move through two forts in a row, allowing you to make canals across more than one tile isthmuses.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

While yes, this is possible in some circumstances, but not all. The way it worked in Civ IV was that a ship could move through two forts in a row, allowing you to make canals across more than one tile isthmuses.

I’d like to see Great Admirals be used for canals. I tend to have a bunch of them sitting around. I don’t blow them to repair fleets because by the time I have enough that I would be willing to spare some, My ships all have range, logistics, and maybe supply. They simply don’t need to be healed.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Got to love Alexander. He decides to have the whole world embargo me (America's ability is awful), while seeming to forget that I have just beelined the Manhattan project just in case. Now his cities with 1000s of wonders and works of art are mine and full of radiation.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 15, 2013

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

How do you pick your routes? If it's by gold, sort by that. If it's only to city-states, close the other sections.

Exactly. All the trouble people seem to be having with the incredibly simple and easy to use trade menu makes me wonder how they manage to play the rest of the game. Want the most gold from your trade route? Sort by most gold and click the top selection. If the top selection is a Civ you don't want to trade with, go down to the next one. Why would you hunt through the menu to find the previous route when there's a better one available at the top of the list? I haven't tried Venice yet so maybe it's a bigger problem with 20 routes but it's definitely not with 10.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Gort posted:

How did you win? Culture?

Yeah exactly. The tourism bonus from the Reformation Belief combined with a bunch of cities' worth of Pagodas, Monasteries, and Cathedrals let me win a Cultural Victory with only a small handful of Great Works completed. Looking back I'm pretty happy with Tithe as a choice for this strategy because it lets you rake in mad cash considering you rush religion as fast as possible both so you can spread yours before other people start up their own (so you can get the 25% for having a majority of their cities) and before they get too much culture of their own. Rushing religion, and building a lot of cities so you can build a lot of Religious buildings, puts you back in other ways, so its good to be able to buy some buildings with cash now and again.

I also met my BFF Dido right after I met my neighbors Catherine and Napoleon, who I was sandwiched in between (and swiped a few choice tiles from). This turned out fantastic because she kept going to war with her neighbors (the Iroquois, Inca, and the Ottoman) and asking me if I wanted to help. Two of those couldn't possibly reach me without going through Dido or Russia, so I accepted, did jack poo poo, and let Dido run her side of the world until they offered me peace treaties. Dido must have kicked rear end all over place though because I got offered a free city as a peace treaty once which I, in my mercy, declined in favor of getting 2 luxury resources for 30 turns. I don't know if that was the best choice as it would have added 3 more Religious buildings (eventually) and better trade route access to the distant civs, but it would have been pretty much indefensible so.

Anyway yeah, the Tourist Religion strategy totally works. I didn't even get the +5 Tourism from Hermitages belief because I didn't intend to make it that far.

bennyfranks fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 15, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Inspector_71 posted:

Missed the point. Get 20 routes, own all the city states and then do it every turn. It's not easy, quick nor un-messy.

Oh and it's not as simple as sort by gold. You have to compare both current and possible charts against each other looking for that one slot you don't already have going. Also every turn.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 15, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And even if you're not going for a Tourism Victory, great writers can be expended to produce a crapload of culture points, usually enough to get one whole free social policy in themselves. If you do that and also play Poland you can concievably max out many policy trees before anyone else can.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Anyone having any trouble getting BNW to work with XP and an nvidia card? I've reinstalled Civ5 in entirety, reinstalled DX9, and upgraded the video card, but I'm still getting failures with ntdll.dll. None of the help pages or FAQs have been helpful so far.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Treaty Organization is way better. You don’t have to park poo poo all around the map just to intimidate city‐states.

Only if you're Venice, in my opinion. It only gives 4 per turn, and since you have to have a trade route with the CS you're losing a ton of gold that you could be getting on a trade route with another civ. Gunboat gives 6 for just parking units around the world, and a lot of units can be standing at 2 CS's borders to kill two birds with one stone. The more units you have overall, the more likely you can activate Gunboat Diplomacy with just 1 or 2 units. Plus, Freedom sucks unless you're a small and purely cultural empire. Gunboat would be even better at Immortal/Deity where you pretty much need a big army to survive anyway.

Speedball posted:

How many units do you have to park outside/near a city-state to threaten it for Gunboat Diplomacy to kick in?

1 or 2 for a lot of them since most of the threat comes from your standing army. A couple needed 4 - you can click on "Ask For Tribute" and then mouse over the "Take xxx Gold" option to see the math behind whether or not they're intimidated enough. It depends on several factors, but since you're doing Autocracy there is zero disadvantage to having a large army

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I’d like to see Great Admirals be used for canals. I tend to have a bunch of them sitting around. I don’t blow them to repair fleets because by the time I have enough that I would be willing to spare some, My ships all have range, logistics, and maybe supply. They simply don’t need to be healed.

Basically this is my current situation:

I wanted to settle on that gold hill but Sweden built Petra while my engineer was on the way, so now I wonder if I should just abandon the idea entirely. I've got the happiness to spare to do it even if it is a junk city, but if we had canals I'd settle by the cows and not have to worry about it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I tried out a cultural Autocracy victory. It was surprisingly easy. The other two Ideologies get a bonus to Great People production (including great culturists) but Autocracy gets Futurism which creates a big blast of Tourism just for creating a Great Writer/Artist/Musician, regardless of what you do with them after. The "bonus tourism to other nations fighting the same foe you are" was gravy.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Man the ai is still dumb as gently caress about invading. I was a little aggressive early on as France, having to bump heads with two neighbours who were encroaching on my lands. After a while all of my neighbours - even the lovely weak piddly ones - decide to declare war one after another. But they just seem to ignore most of my units and try to beeline for my cities, getting slaughtered in the process.

I think I can still pull off a culture victory with the vast sums of culture and gold I earn from chateaus. Getting enough production to build wonders is tougher but factories should help.

I also just realized that I have so many spare great generals that I can probably build a line of citadels to Pocatello's capital if it will let me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I really wish proper canals were in the game in some form.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

Missed the point. Get 20 routes, own all the city states and then do it every turn. It's not easy, quick nor un-messy.

Oh and it's not as simple as sort by gold. You have to compare both current and possible charts against each other looking for that one slot you don't already have going. Also every turn.

You can see which routes are currently running on the "possible" chart. On the far right column, there's a number which shows you how many turns are left on the route. If the number exists, the route is running, if it doesn't, then it isn't and you can take it. Not the most ideal solution, no, but it does work.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
The barbarian changes wouldn't so bad if the AI wasn't content to just sit there and let camps sit open 1 hex from their border. I found out the hard way about the coastal barbarian camp about 25 tiles away when in 2 turns all 4 of my trade routes got pillaged and the lake 4 civs were trading on suddenly filled with barbarian triremes.

Thanks a lot, william

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Won my first game with the new expansion here. Went for a Polish tourism victory, just to try out the new mechanics, like probably half of everyone (the other half were playing Venice).

The AI still has some gamable quirks, especially with regard to fighting wars, but overall I'm really happy with the new features.

For example, I had Enrico as my buffer against Shaka. We were pretty good buds, and I didn't want Shaka coming up the peninsula toward me. When he declared against Venice, I just moved my army onto Venice's territory and made an impassible wall around Venice so Shaka could never hit it with a melee attack. After some three hundred years of watching his units get torn up by Venice's siege defences, Shaka finally sues for peace when Rome and the pathfinder guys declare against him. Shaka could have declared on me too and we'd have had a hard time killing his horrible army but he just ended up getting stuck.

I really like the great-work mechanism for culture victories. It's a big investment, but if you can stack up all your great person bonuses and get enough food to power your great-person factory while rushing the culture wonders, it really makes for a neat builder game. Much more interesting than just chaining endless golden ages -- although that strategy is probably good for setting up a solid line of defence against a culture player.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Not the most ideal solution, no, but it does work.

Yeah and that's all I'm saying. It just gets messy with 20 routes. Whatever, I beat it with Venice and don't need to touch that easy-mode again for a while.

I'm on to the Zulu now and it's nice going back to a streamlined game: Build spearmen, walk to Mt. Kilimanjaro, burn everything to the ground.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Inspector_71 posted:

If you are going for a cultural victory then to maximise your tourism output you will want one trade route travelling to each civilization, so you need to find the previous route in that case because you need to know where the trade route used to go in order send the trade route to the same civ. And the previous route will usually be the most profitable route to that civ anyway.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Gort posted:

I have an evil idea for a strategy: Play Byzantium, go Piety and rush a great prophet out ASAP. Take Pagodas, Cathedrals and Mosques. Take the reformation belief that gives you two tourism per faith-bought building. Fill up your cities with these buildings and laugh about how you won a culture victory in the bronze age.

I started doing this. I've had such a hard time with BNW this sounded like a good way to goof off and not take it seriously for a bit.

I was only able to get 2 of the buildings. I had a lot of stone and stuff around so I got the faith from quarries pantheon, tithe, and guruship, with mosques and cathedrals. I'm just into the renaissance now and I have around +26 tourism. The tourism screen shows everyone as rising, and I'm really creeping up on Korea. I missed a few wonders and had some problems growing my cities, so I don't always have specialists going, but it's been pretty amusing to watch it pile up. I have a feeling once I get up to the point where tourism takes off it will absolutely explode.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

thehoodie posted:

I just won a Diplomatic Victory on King as Portugal and, while it was a ton of fun to rack up massive amounts of happiness and gold, I want to echo the sentiments of everyone else in regards to city-states and the World Congress. With the exception of 2 or 3 CS, I didn't have any competition in regards to buying them out, and was able to pass or fail everything in the Congress as I saw fit. The rest of the game didn't really matter, I was allied with everyone and just sat back while they fought each other, eventually racking up the required delegates and passing World Leader. It was way easier, and more successful, than any other strategy I've tried. So, yeah, fix that please Firaxis.

I won a game diplomatically without even trying to hard. I started a game as Venice to try them out(after several games of trying other civs, expanding too hard and fast and having the rest of the world declare war very early) and cruised through without doing anything specifically until a warning came up that Austria was about to win a cultural victory.

I just used all the excess gold I'd accumulated with caravans to buy out the city states and the majority of delegates were with me. From there it was pretty easy to get voted as world leader and win the game. Then I stuck around and vetoed the evil Austrian empire, dropped a couple of nukes on them with hope of watching them burn(which they still didn't but drat I hurt them alot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Yesss finally won on Emperor Standard (always random map and civ). Tried to do a cultural victory but ended up waging war with everyone because I was the only one going for FREEDOM! I'm really loving this expansion, now to move onto Emperor Large.

P.S: I was Boudicca and didnt found a religion.

• Locked thread