Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I'm finding that to be the case. I thought the average was 12k per year, but apparently in Texas we loooooove to drive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

If it's a daily driver it only makes sense. Average drive distances + 2 or 3 road trips a year can give you around that much. And they're pony cars, not sports cars, they're fine for daily driving.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Welp, I replaced all the spark plugs, and still same behavior. gently caress.

Is it standard dealer practice to see a CAI and throw their hands up and say 'ohhhh we won't touch it, your warranty could be voided!!'? I can reflash back to stock, no problem, but the issue is I no longer even have the stock airbox.

When I talked to the service guy at the last dealership I just wanted to scream 'MAGNUSSON-MOSS, MAGNUSSON-MOSS, I CAN'T HEAR YOU, MAGNUSSON-MOSS!'.

Also, I multimetered the coilpacks. There's only 2 pins, so I checked resistance across 'em. 0.9ohm-1.0ohms on all 6.

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 9, 2013

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Well i think youre insane to take a car into the dealer with an ECU tune and expect them to do anything warranty wise since you can easily blow up an engine with a bad ECU tune.

That being said clear the tune, take it to another dealer, they would be insane to refuse engine warranty because of a CAI. If they do tell them youre going to call ford corporate and ask them why this dealer wont warranty your engine, if they say because of the CAI just ask them if they really think the ford corporate is going to agree with them.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Dang. I heard a rumbling from somewhere under me when I was driving, so when I brought it in for its oil change and lube I had them look at the wheel bearings.

One wheel bearing is shot, not the one I thought it was. They fixed that one and test drove it. Still a'rumblin', from the differential. The inboard axle bearings and all but one of the bearing races in the rear end were looking bad too.

The gears and axles checked out A-ok though, guess I caught it early enough.

July just got expensive.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

What steps did you take and how did Ford accommodate you?

I really only had to call Ford once to get the ball rolling. Used the same number they give you for roadside assistance.

The dealership broke the transmission trying to reassemble it. When they tried to order a replacement, they were told it was back-ordered 2 months. Ford offered at that time to do the buyback, but then the next day the dealership called me directly and said that there was a transmission available after all, but it was a non-production mt-82 that was "improved" but would still be covered fully. Okay whatever go ahead.

I've had the car back for about 3 weeks but don't really drive it much. Ford asked me if I wanted either one month's car payment or the gold ESP on the car. I told them I wanted 2 months of car payment instead. My CSR said they wouldn't do that but I told her to please ask anyway. She came back to me last Friday and said they agreed with me, so they'll be picking up my next two payments.

Last night, after I'd stupidly made that post about how great things were, I was running late to something and decided to lean into it a little. They were right about this mt-82 being improved -- third gear is no problem now but I did have a problem with second gear last night. I'm not going through this again.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What kind of problem did you have with 2nd? Don't Mustangs have a skip-shift type thing for fuel economy, could that be it?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Test drove the v6 mustang 2014 with 202a package. Honestly I like the Mustang Club of American package better but I think I can just replace the grille if I really want to.

Sure wish it'd stay in a lower RPM for my test drive though :)

We have one specific criteria. Race Red with white stone leather interior. My wife is in love and I think it's going to work out.

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1ZVBP8AM5E5231293

That one is about 500 miles from me, and they're talking about getting it delivered.

The one thing it doesn't have that I want is the backup sensors (wife is paranoid without them) but hopefully we can live without.

MSRP is 29,835. Is trying to buy at 23k going to be feasible?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I'm seeing a lower MSRP though I dont see the comfort package listed as an option.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
Package 202a is under the V6 Premium. I don't know about that price, I don't know much about what Ford has for incentives right now.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Apollo posted:

Test drove the v6 mustang 2014 with 202a package. Honestly I like the Mustang Club of American package better but I think I can just replace the grille if I really want to.

Sure wish it'd stay in a lower RPM for my test drive though :)
So put it in a higher gear?

quote:

We have one specific criteria. Race Red with white stone leather interior. My wife is in love and I think it's going to work out.

Race Red is the best color, I like it with the all-black interior.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Here's the car, no real pictures yet, should be tomorrow:
http://www.machaikfl.com/new-inventory/1ZVBP8AM5E5231293

They have it on an 'Internet Price' of 25,300

We like the leather white stone seats because its hot in Texas, and we really think the two tone doors are a little more special.

Did I mention the heat factor?

from a 2012 we like:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Apollo posted:

Here's the car, no real pictures yet, should be tomorrow:
http://www.machaikfl.com/new-inventory/1ZVBP8AM5E5231293

They have it on an 'Internet Price' of 25,300

We like the leather white stone seats because its hot in Texas, and we really think the two tone doors are a little more special.

Did I mention the heat factor?

from a 2012 we like:

It gets hot in Miami too, so I got the windows tinted as much as legal.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Diagnosis was plugged cat. We'll see if that fixes it! Thank god for warranties!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well they offered me $27,000 to purchase the car that I'm looking at. Guess ill pass. You can buy a lot of different things for 30k!

edit: FYI I think the car is still awesome but I promised the wife 23k... so I may have screwed myself up :)

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 11, 2013

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is that with tax, tag, etc? If so, that's not too bad. You could do better, but you'd have to really work for it.

Anyway, I really don't want to visit any of the Mustang websites, so I pose this question to AI'ers: Vortech V3 Si Trim/Paxton Novi 2200SL centri vs Roush Phase 2 Eaton TVS twin screw?

So far, I've come up with the following:
Vortech/Paxton pros: Less invasive and easier install, higher ceiling in terms of potential, 1,000 USD cheaper
Vortech/Paxton cons: Less attractive engine bay, power lives higher in the RPM range

Roush pros: More attractive engine bay, glorious supercharge whine, earth moving torque at any RPM
Roush cons: More invasive install in terms of cutting/grinding and wire splicing, 1,000 USD more expensive

Research leads me to believe the Roush will get me where I want to be (600ish HP range) reliably before reaching the point at which I would seriously need to look at upgrading the internals...that's not to say that the Vortech/Paxton would require going to forged internals, I just don't think I'll ever want to reach that range with either supercharger. The 1,000 price difference would go a long ways towards upgrading suspension components at the same time as the blower install, rather than having to wait a month or three down the line. I had a centri (Vortech) on my old '99 Cobra, so I'm pretty familiar with them. That said, I'm kind of leaning towards going the twin screw route.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Tide posted:

Is that with tax, tag, etc? If so, that's not too bad. You could do better, but you'd have to really work for it.

26,999 + TTL.

The dealer they are getting it from lists the 'Internet Price' of 25,300. Are they trying to lure people in with a low price then jack up the fees?

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
If you want a Mustang at 23k, you are going to be hard pressed to get a v6 Premium with the 202a package at that price point. In my area those are running upwards of $30k + with the extras on it. You might be able to get there without the 202a package, you need to shop other dealers through email if you want that magic 23k price.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, 23k is for basically the standard V6 with a few bumps in options and trim. Getting a V6 Premium for that is realllly hard, new. I'm in Detroit (stated because there are billions of V6s on lots) with a ton of options AND A Plan pricing, and I'm only able to whittle your trim choice down to 25k at best, in my 15 minutes of playing around.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Darko posted:

Yeah, 23k is for basically the standard V6 with a few bumps in options and trim. Getting a V6 Premium for that is realllly hard, new.

I didn't have to work very hard at all and was able to custom-order a V6 Premium w/ Comfort Package for $22,749. Worked out to a hair under $25k after TTL in a state with pretty high sales tax. I just emailed the 8 Ford dealers nearest to me, asked what the best they could do was, and didn't even need to counteroffer.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Tide posted:

Anyway, I really don't want to visit any of the Mustang websites, so I pose this question to AI'ers: Vortech V3 Si Trim/Paxton Novi 2200SL centri vs Roush Phase 2 Eaton TVS twin screw?

Dont look at the price alone dude, go on other factors. the centri kits are not as hard on your engine if its a daily drive. if you have a weekend warrior or have a 2nd daily driver boost it up with a twin screw because the engine will be under a lot more stress.

If you are going to go twin screw route, I would not even consider a Roush or Eaton S/C I would go with Kenne Bell they have a huge following so support would be easier to get.

Also if your wrenching skills are not the best, a centri super charger will be easier to install, and some kits have an oiling setup so you dont have to drill a hole into the car's oil pan.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

kalvick posted:

Dont look at the price alone dude, go on other factors. the centri kits are not as hard on your engine if its a daily drive. if you have a weekend warrior or have a 2nd daily driver boost it up with a twin screw because the engine will be under a lot more stress.

If you are going to go twin screw route, I would not even consider a Roush or Eaton S/C I would go with Kenne Bell they have a huge following so support would be easier to get.

Also if your wrenching skills are not the best, a centri super charger will be easier to install, and some kits have an oiling setup so you dont have to drill a hole into the car's oil pan.

Hrm. True about the stresses involved, hadn't really considered that angle. It's a daily driver, with an average of about 5,000 miles a year. For some reason I was thinking the KBs were a whole lot more expensive and didn't even consider one.

Tapping the oil pan on my Cobra was one of the single most nerve wracking things I've done on a car. I'm pretty good with a wrench, so not worried about that.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Tide posted:

Hrm. True about the stresses involved, hadn't really considered that angle. It's a daily driver, with an average of about 5,000 miles a year. For some reason I was thinking the KBs were a whole lot more expensive and didn't even consider one.

Tapping the oil pan on my Cobra was one of the single most nerve wracking things I've done on a car. I'm pretty good with a wrench, so not worried about that.

Have you considered looking into the Beefcake Special? If you're in a CA emissions or near-CA emissions state it will be pretty difficult to get the non-Roush setups to pass smog.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Have you considered looking into the Beefcake Special? If you're in a CA emissions or near-CA emissions state it will be pretty difficult to get the non-Roush setups to pass smog.

Yeah I have; it's actually the kit I was looking at if I get a centri blower set up. I've heard really good things about their set up and their support.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012

The Midniter posted:

What kind of problem did you have with 2nd? Don't Mustangs have a skip-shift type thing for fuel economy, could that be it?

I've made it a point to drive it pretty hard to test since then with no issues, so I dunno what was going on there.

The 2013s do not feature skip shift, and even if they had it I would have tuned it out (you can disable it with a tune)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My '00 has probably had bad bearings in the differential since I bought it 10k miles ago. I accepted the rumbly nature of the car as normal; the RX-7s I had in the past were also pretty noisy and clunky so I figured that was just character. While having a wheel bearing diagnosed during an oil change, my mechanic noticed the rear end noise and I told him he might as well fix it too.

Anyhow, now that I am financially ruined and the rear end is all fixed up, holy crap this car is quiet and smooth. I even have a set of Flowmaster 40 series on this thing and it's pretty much eerily silent at a cruise.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

roger wilco posted:

I've made it a point to drive it pretty hard to test since then with no issues, so I dunno what was going on there.

The 2013s do not feature skip shift, and even if they had it I would have tuned it out (you can disable it with a tune)

If it makes you feel any better I'm still dealing with skip shift issues, even after MGW install. Are you sure we can disable this via a tune for all 2011+?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

If it makes you feel any better I'm still dealing with skip shift issues, even after MGW install. Are you sure we can disable this via a tune for all 2011+?

Is the TR-6060 (or whatever they're using now) the same as the T-56, where you can just unplug and remove the skip-shift solenoid and install a block-off bolt, then stick a resistor in its connector and tape it off?

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012

Yes - but take it from someone who just had their transmission replaced under warranty - use the trinity or intune. I am living proof that they truly aren't detectable. I flashed it back to stock a little before taking it back and didn't have any issues past my shift knob in terms of warranty. Believe me, they did try very hard to find a reason not to eat thousands of dollars in costs.

I cannot speak to the SCT tuners, but I know that they are detectable under the methods ford uses to check these things. Check the TSB -- they're not interested in fixing these trans issues.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

roger wilco fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 12, 2013

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I tried to tell you guys about manual transmissions, but you just wouldn't listen.
:smug:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
The consumer reports guide about autos was just published. It says that the 2012 mustang is to be avoided. Any reason why that y'all know of?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain Apollo posted:

The consumer reports guide about autos was just published. It says that the 2012 mustang is to be avoided. Any reason why that y'all know of?

Well, for one thing, CR doesn't really judge cars on what makes them appealing to "car people." If you don't look at any of the reasons Mustangs are fun or awesome, and just look at things like practicality, they're right to call it a poo poo car and say the Prius is much better.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I noticed that too. Funny thing was, the '11 didn't have the dreaded black dot. I felt better about that as an '11 owner. I haven't had any issues at all in 32,400 miles and 3 years (knocks on wood).

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

One of the only things I'm not cut out to fix myself is anything in the motor, and the Coyote is pretty bulletproof, so....? :shrug:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Captain Apollo posted:

This is really confusing to me, as nothing is different between the '11s and the '12s that I know. I wonder what they did to get black dotted.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Renting a 2013 V6 Mustang yesterday and today.

Oh, my, lord. This thing is a BLAST in sport mode.

Averaging 26gph after a couple hours of driving.

The only thing is, the wife doesn't have the 6 way passenger adjustable seats in this rental and shes currently hating how uncomfortable they are.

:(

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Apollo posted:

Looks like roger wilco isn't the only one with transmission problems on their GT, and if it's a problem on the GT they expect it to also be problematic on other models with the same transmission.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
That chart seems completely ridiculous if I'm reading it correctly (red full - severe and black full - exceptional). Who are the ones having all of these engine, brake, electrical, and paint problems? I feel like SA is a decent sampling of owners, and if there were serious issues with any of these components, somebody would have that problem here (like RW and his transmission).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

oRenj9 posted:

That chart seems completely ridiculous if I'm reading it correctly (red full - severe and black full - exceptional). Who are the ones having all of these engine, brake, electrical, and paint problems? I feel like SA is a decent sampling of owners, and if there were serious issues with any of these components, somebody would have that problem here (like RW and his transmission).

I believe red is good and black is bad (yes, it would make more sense to use a color like green for good, instead of a colour that often means bad things).

It's still bizarre - someone needs to 'splain me how the V6 can get above-average in every category and below-average overall. I think the answer is that Consumer Reports sucks balls for cars, and you should only pay attention to it if you don't actually get any pleasure or enjoyment out of driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

oRenj9 posted:

That chart seems completely ridiculous if I'm reading it correctly (red full - severe and black full - exceptional). Who are the ones having all of these engine, brake, electrical, and paint problems?
Ignoring that you're reading it backwards, they survey subscribers, and ask what kinds of problems they've had. Going by the reputation CR has with people that buy Mustangs GT, the sample size probably isn't very big, and it wouldn't take many transmission or suspension issues to go from red to black.

PT6A posted:

It's still bizarre - someone needs to 'splain me how the V6 can get above-average in every category and below-average overall. I think the answer is that Consumer Reports sucks balls for cars, and you should only pay attention to it if you don't actually get any pleasure or enjoyment out of driving.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Looks like roger wilco isn't the only one with transmission problems on their GT, and if it's a problem on the GT they expect it to also be problematic on other models with the same transmission.