Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Speedball posted:

I don't even know how anyone's supposed to get the Raiders of the Lost Ark achievement without tons of luck. Even deliberately setting it in the modern age, setting it so the only three players are America, Germany and Egypt and put it all on Pangea doesn't seem enough.

Turn up the difficulty. The AI shits archæologists on Immortal. On multiple occasions I’ve seen eight archæologists on screen at the same time.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ah, that sounds like a good idea! Thanks.

Oh, I thought of one other thing: Great Writers can be expended to produce a ton of culture at once. Usually enough to help you get a new Social Policy. I bet this could also be used defensively, since the giant chunk of culture gets weighted against enemy tourism.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have a video or something of a city flipping? I had an enemy down to -20 approval and -19 happiness overall because of my tourism. I declared war and pillaged every single luxury resource he had, and then left, and he was somehow getting POSITIVE happiness! What does a guy gotta do to get an enemy city to flip? It seems like it'd be impossible until the late late late game.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
It's definitely more late game. What pissed me off was when I had more happiness than anyone else, but all of Portugal's cities were flipping to ghandi, the only other person with Freedom, and not me. It was infuriating.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It flips to whomever is closest I believe.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

thehumandignity posted:

Click the culture button in the top-right panel, then click the "influence by player" tab, then at the top of that window select the civ you have in mind. That will show you their tourism compared to everyone else's culture, including yours. It will also show you whatever modifiers apply to their tourism rating of you to let you know how you can slow it down in addition to generating more culture, for example purging their religion from your cities or refusing open borders.

The only way to purge the religion is through that 300 holy point unit? Currently I am playing as Russia/Order ideology for maximum RP and haven't done much religion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jastiger posted:

Does anyone have a video or something of a city flipping? I had an enemy down to -20 approval and -19 happiness overall because of my tourism.

How do you find that information? Using spies?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Purging a religion is only possible if you completely eradicate the faction that created it and then mop up using inquisitors. Don't do it unless you're prepared for some douche points with the rest of the world. That said, sometimes you have to be a douche to win in this game...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

It flips to whomever is closest I believe.

Whoever's closest and has the relevant ideology, specifically. I just did a diplo win with Venice and Brazil managed to nab about 3-4 cities from the Mongols that way, it was like every 10-15 turns I'd get a message saying some city or other had flipped. Only stopped when Genghis relented and switched to Freedom like the rest of us. Then he genocided the Brazilians.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Speedball posted:

Purging a religion is only possible if you completely eradicate the faction that created it and then mop up using inquisitors. Don't do it unless you're prepared for some douche points with the rest of the world. That said, sometimes you have to be a douche to win in this game...

He's talking about eliminating tourism influence on his civ, so he just meant purging it from his own cities, not exterminating it completely. At least not unless he wants to be really pro-active about eliminating that influence, but if he was then he wouldn't need to be worried about tourism.

Anyway yes, the only way to get rid of a foreign religion in your cities is with Great Prophets or inquisitors. Keeping an inquisitor stationed in a city will keep it from being converted by a prophet or missionary, but the cities will eventually just convert back naturally due to pressure. The only way to counter that is by filling the space with another religion.

Also note that if you produce an inquisitor in a city dominated by one religion that isn't also the holy city of another religion, then that inquisitor will essentially be loyal to that religion. So if your influential neighbour is spreading, say, Islam, and all your cities are Muslim, any inquisitors you produce will only purge non-Muslims. You'll have no means of fighting back unless you found your own religion, or someone else introduces another for you.

RBA Starblade posted:

How do you find that information? Using spies?

It's on the culture overview. It will show you who is influencing whom and for how much happiness.

Gaz-L posted:

Then he genocided the Brazilians.

Nothing if not reliable. :allears:

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 15, 2013

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Started a Poland Pangaea game, purely by coincidence my 'random' neighbors are Russia, Austria, Germany, Denmark and Sweden. :ohdear:

All we need is Hungary and Lithuania to complete the set!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

A Tartan Tory posted:

Started a Poland Pangaea game, purely by coincidence my 'random' neighbors are Russia, Austria, Germany, Denmark and Sweden. :ohdear:

All we need is Hungary and Lithuania to complete the set!

In my last game as the Inca my neighbors were the Shoshone, Mayans, Brazil, Aztecs, and the USA. It was also the rare game where I went as a warmonger (with the Inca of all peoples!) because the map was riddled with mountains and hills and Mt. Kilimanjaro was 3 tiles from my capital.

:getin:

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Lets go ahead and play Morocco. This should be fun!

That city Fes also has the Petra. I started Islam based off Desert Folklore. One suuuuuper important thing to note, however, is to NOT keep your screenshot key as F12. Thats the "quickload" button. So right after this, I got to an old Shoshone game :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been thinking since there's no utopian victory and the culture stuff's been tweaked, what would be a good number of cities to have if you want to focus on culture now? There are a lot to reduce increases based on size, so maybe five or six cities if you can handle it? Three still works for me (on Prince) but I'm betting four would be just as doable now at least.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
More than ever I think tall vs. wide is all personal preference. You have so many new ways to generate culture that a wide culture game is quite viable, because now you have more places to put great works.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I started playing this recently (thanks friend + sale on G&K, now gimme a BNW sale!) and wow, things have changed a lot from Civ4, probably for the better. I've been fiddling around with small games doing tech and protecting myself while figuring things out, but I kinda wanna run a 'large scale' campaign now, per se. By which I mean I want to conquer the world and control as much territory as humanly possible.

Could someone make some basic recommendations on a civ, religion choices, and getting the early game rolling, for that purpose? I'm talkin' like, world wide conquest on a Huge (probably Pangaea) map. I've always been really terrible at this series. :v:

e: To clarify my concerns are less beating up other people and taking their land and more of managing the land I take and rapidly expanding my own stuff.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 15, 2013

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

A Tartan Tory posted:

Ok, I think I've found something just as fun as the Morocco desert game, a Brazil jungle game with 2f2g2sc3cu per jungle tile!

Don't get me wrong, this is better than the alternative, but I'm not all that impressed considering I'm giving up trading post, which is 2f2g2s, or potentially 2f3g3s. Brazilwood is also only 2f2g2s2cu, unless you take that culture producing pantheon in which case all of your tiles have it regardless.

My big complaint, like the Feitoria, is that it gets unlocked too late. I'd rather they give you a weaker early version with construction. Feitoria should also be early medieval or just unlocked with construction/optics, it comes two eras too late.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Tsurupettan posted:

I started playing this recently (thanks friend + sale on G&K, now gimme a BNW sale!) and wow, things have changed a lot from Civ4, probably for the better. I've been fiddling around with small games doing tech and protecting myself while figuring things out, but I kinda wanna run a 'large scale' campaign now, per se. By which I mean I want to conquer the world and control as much territory as humanly possible.

Could someone make some basic recommendations on a civ, religion choices, and getting the early game rolling, for that purpose? I'm talkin' like, world wide conquest on a Huge (probably Pangaea) map. I've always been really terrible at this series. :v:

I think Venice on a waterway type map might be the best way to safely explore all the new things in Civ V. Having all that cash from trade routes will let you try out whatever strategy you want!

Money is king in Civ V and they made it even easier to get with trade routes.

e: Actually this is terrible advice because you'll only ever own one city.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Freedom is so powerful, and going wide it takes so little time to be allies with every city states once you get that tenant that gives +20 influence on unit gifting. You can generate a rifleman every two turns from every city by then, and its like giving 500 gold to a city state every time you get a new militaty unit. that tenant (Arsenal of Democracy) needs to be nerfed down to +10 influence, its how i quickly won my last two diplomacy games

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 15, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Zigmidge posted:

I think Venice on a waterway type map might be the best way to safely explore all the new things in Civ V. Having all that cash from trade routes will let you try out whatever strategy you want!

Plus I don't have BNW, so I can't play Venice. :shobon: Hoping it gets a sale on Steam.

e: Looking at the civs with regards to my prior question, Rome might be good to rapidly catch up new cities I found. Arabia would provide a nice bit of extra gold with all the trade routes I'd have due to a massive empire and a lot of tank presence later on due to the oil bonus. France would help me rapidly grab up territory and pick up policies. China would crap gold out for me from the get-go, letting me generate a lot of settlers or buy up structures to jump-start new cities.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 15, 2013

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008

sansuki posted:

Lets go ahead and play Morocco. This should be fun!

That city Fes also has the Petra. I started Islam based off Desert Folklore. One suuuuuper important thing to note, however, is to NOT keep your screenshot key as F12. Thats the "quickload" button. So right after this, I got to an old Shoshone game :(

Can't you just tick the 'enable autosaves' option at the top of the load screen? You should be able to start right back at turn 380 again.

Also Korea seems really really good now with overpowered food trade routes, at least on emperor and below. If you can get a decent start (coastal cities, great library) your tech advantage gets so huge by mid to late game that it's completely trivial after turn 200 or so. On my last emperor game I was 30 techs ahead of the next civilization when my spaceship finished, though I'm not sure if it would work on immortal or deity.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Assyrian siege towers are insane. Same attack power as a trebuchet, buffs nearby units against cities, gets cover by default and has 12 power so it doesn't die easy. Build up archers while bee-lining for mathematics and then go on a murder spree for free gold and techs.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nutmeg posted:

That's a bummer, but I'm not really surprised.

I play with two of my bros pretty regularly and it takes us 8-10 hours to finish a game across multiple sessions, including taking breaks for snacks and water and such. Always on quick. None of us tend to war very much (we play other games for that), so that might change things, because turns at war take forever.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Assyrian siege towers are insane. Same attack power as a trebuchet, buffs nearby units against cities, gets cover by default and has 12 power so it doesn't die easy. Build up archers while bee-lining for mathematics and then go on a murder spree for free gold and techs.

And then rage when you accidentally upgrade to trebuchets and a fully upgraded siege tower dies in one turn. :mad:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A Tartan Tory posted:

Ok, I think I've found something just as fun as the Morocco desert game, a Brazil jungle game with 2f2g2sc3cu per jungle tile!

Oh man, Brazil in a nice, jungly starting area is so fun it's sick.

Larz2021
Feb 2, 2001

Zigmidge posted:

Not really. City placement is key with Venice I feel, I got a map that put me right on a nice isthmus with easy access water trade routes on either side. Once you get going use the Merchant to purchase city states with luxury items as puppets and crank out as many trade increase / tourism wonders you can. With all the gold I got coming in from trade routes I basically just buy the buildings or units I want and let my main city crank out Wonders.

Archaeology is a bit harder since you actually have to build the units and your puppet states wont build them on their own, but its not impossible.

Also I dont think you want to puppet every city state, since having allies gives you delegates for the World Congress.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone know where I can grab a gamerip of Brave New World's soundtrack, or where in the game files the music is kept?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jastiger posted:

And then rage when you accidentally upgrade to trebuchets and a fully upgraded siege tower dies in one turn. :mad:

I was just cranking them out with cover II from a barracks and don't think I had any get above level 4 as they get focused hard by the AI. It was more sad when I got physics (stolen naturally) and was no longer able to build them. The higher the difficulty the better they are as the AI always has more techs than you. My only problem was keeping up with roads, maintaining happiness and moving forward fast enough before my loot gold ran out and my economy exploded.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

Oh man, Brazil in a nice, jungly starting area is so fun it's sick.

I can't stand the lack of production in the early game though, I agree with the other guy that the unique improvement needs to come earlier.

Also I'm having an extremely frustrating game, where I have tourism dominance over 6//7 other civs but Gandhi was also running a cultural game and has way too much culture for me to overcome. He's all the way on the other side of a Pangea map so its tough for me to go and fight him as he has a higher tech level.

I have him embargoed and paid the two really strong civs on either side of him to declare war in the hope that they would take him out. It's very frustrating.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

I have him embargoed and paid the two really strong civs on either side of him to declare war in the hope that they would take him out. It's very frustrating.

You should do this and join in to help them out. If you are already influential with everyone else you can just focus your entire nation on annihilating Gandhi. Sucks about having him on the other end of the map though. Sailing around an option?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Played around with a Portugal game the other day. The Feitoria may come a bit late in the game but it's welcome exactly when it does, because it's during the second half of the game you need all the happiness you can grab. Forcing city-states to give me their stuff without ever having to spend a penny on bribe money was great. Though I did have a lot of money to spend. Portugal makes a lot of money per trade route if there's enough resource diversity, they can probably rake in at least as much as Morocco or Venice.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Verranicus posted:

Anyone know where I can grab a gamerip of Brave New World's soundtrack, or where in the game files the music is kept?

I'm not in front of my computer right now so I can't do the exact directory, but it's in the normal steamapps/common folder, then Civ 5, then assets>streamed>leader music. Something like that. If that doesn't work, just get as close as you can and then search the directory for a leader's name.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hey, am I crazy or did forest and jungle tiles get a makeover? The colours seem to pop a lot more than they used to, I like it!

Now if only I could get the vanilla trade post graphics back. :argh:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Verranicus posted:

Find the Steam folder and look in this: SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Sounds\Streamed

They're regular Ogg files.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I was just cranking them out with cover II from a barracks and don't think I had any get above level 4 as they get focused hard by the AI. It was more sad when I got physics (stolen naturally) and was no longer able to build them. The higher the difficulty the better they are as the AI always has more techs than you. My only problem was keeping up with roads, maintaining happiness and moving forward fast enough before my loot gold ran out and my economy exploded.

If you're playing militaristic and are relying on loot gold, you can also probably send off a few units to bully city states with and demand tribute. I just watched some PrimEvalCIV videos (thanks to whoever here linked to him) where he was playing a multiplayer game as Japan and he was able to run at a deficit while maintaining a massive army sustained entirely through city state tribute. I've never seen that particular strategy before and got me thinking that I should be demanding tribute a lot more often. Of course it's more viable in multiplayer where there aren't any diplomatic penalties for doing so, but if you're a warmonger those are probably just a drop in the bucket.

DStecks posted:

Hey, am I crazy or did forest and jungle tiles get a makeover? The colours seem to pop a lot more than they used to, I like it!

Now if only I could get the vanilla trade post graphics back. :argh:

You're not crazy, that actually happened in the patch just prior to BNW's release. The forests and jungles look like they have a bit more depth to me now, the trees pop out more and they don't just look like ugly green blobs anymore. The road graphics also changed a bit.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 15, 2013

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Larz2021 posted:

Also I dont think you want to puppet every city state, since having allies gives you delegates for the World Congress.

Good ones to puppet are those that have luxuries or strategics that you want that are just outside of their current borders - once you build a few culture buildings, the borders will usually expand to those spots quickly

Janjaw33d
Jul 15, 2013

by AVBrafaDiMatteo
Play as Spain

information era start
1 other civ
deity difficulty
pangea
large

rush buy university
build oxford in 2-3 turns
settle other 2 settlers (or none if its a OCC)
research satellites
reveal entire map

500 gold bonus for all natural wonders
3000k gold+ total depending on map size

rush buy buildings for easy science win.

win every time without technically cheating.

So technically the best civ is Spain.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Good ones to puppet are those that have luxuries or strategics that you want that are just outside of their current borders - once you build a few culture buildings, the borders will usually expand to those spots quickly

Also, puppet city-states that are on water and have a potential naval trade route with Venice. (Or Austria, as the case may be). So you can get double the yield from internal trade routes as well. Thank you, +10 Production x3 in my capital!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Janjaw33d posted:

So technically the best civ is Spain.

Seems legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you're playing militaristic and are relying on loot gold, you can also probably send off a few units to bully city states with and demand tribute. I just watched some PrimEvalCIV videos (thanks to whoever here linked to him) where he was playing a multiplayer game as Japan and he was able to run at a deficit while maintaining a massive army sustained entirely through city state tribute. I've never seen that particular strategy before and got me thinking that I should be demanding tribute a lot more often. Of course it's more viable in multiplayer where there aren't any diplomatic penalties for doing so, but if you're a warmonger those are probably just a drop in the bucket.

You're not crazy, that actually happened in the patch just prior to BNW's release. The forests and jungles look like they have a bit more depth to me now, the trees pop out more and they don't just look like ugly green blobs anymore. The road graphics also changed a bit.

Yeah I pretty much financed the siege tower steamroller with city state money.

• Locked thread