Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is 7-zip still the best free file extractor out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is 7-zip still the best free file extractor out there?

Yes.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I need a 2 way coaxial splitter, is there any reason not to get the cheapest available model?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

McKracken posted:

I need a 2 way coaxial splitter, is there any reason not to get the cheapest available model?

The rule of things like this is to get the secondest cheapest one available, on the assumption that the absolute cheapest might have a problem.

So realistically this means paying like $1.05 for it instead of $0.99

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Yeah but money laundering is the more interesting answer.

Not necessarily right, but more fun to think about.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Earplugs and in-ear earbuds often make my ear canal tickle/itch, in the sort way that can be relieved by firmly rubbing your finger around the tragus/concha - problem being that doing this requires taking the earplug out.

I also happen to have a history of excess earwax, even from periods when I didn't wear earplugs or earbuds ever.

Are these two things related?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
If you preorder a game, what does that exactly mean? You are guaranteed a copy? What happens to your money if you don't pick up the game when it comes out? Is that money lost?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

b0nes posted:

If you preorder a game, what does that exactly mean? You are guaranteed a copy? What happens to your money if you don't pick up the game when it comes out? Is that money lost?

Usually what happens is you pay a small amount to secure the preorder, which will be deducted from the final price so you don't end up paying extra overall. If you don't pick up the game, they keep this money (as payment for the service of the store holding a copy of the game for you and not letting anyone else buy it). It should say somewhere in the store or on the receipt how long they will wait before giving up on you. You only get charged the full price when you go through with buying the game after it comes out.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, my office is moving to a new facility. The facility is going to have our active files on the second floor, and our archived files on the first floor. Is there any good way to move bankers boxes full of files down stairs? Or is carrying them pretty much it? I was thinking a ramp might be an option, but one able to handle a lot of file boxes seems like it would be cost-prohibitive.

Given that carrying them is the only solution I can think of, my plan was to have a convertible hand truck on the second floor to load boxes on to, then use a pallet and pallet jack system on the first floor for the archived files (I'd carry boxes down to the pallet 1-2 at a time). I was looking at putting 96 boxes on a 48x48 pallet, but I'm thinking that that might not be enough room (bankers boxes are 10x12x15 WxHxD), so it's just barely enough space to get four boxes wide. Further, this means that the pallets will weigh around 3000 pounds; is that too much for a typical office floor to withstand wheeling around on a pallet jack?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

b0nes posted:

Theoretically it's to guarantee a copy, but I've heard many stories of places like gamestop selling pre-ordered copies before they can get picked up, even on release day. Part of it is so that retailers can guage demand and make sure to order enough to go around, too.

If you order online from somewhere like amazon it also lets you get it shipped on release day.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

b0nes posted:

To answer the last bit of your question, generally yes you can 'return' a pre-order.

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

So my friends found a rock on a beach on Long Island. It was one big thing, rectangular and boxy, but shattered into a ton of tiny pieces when dropped on the street. What is this rock made of?

This looks alot like Gilsonite

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It looks like a piece of burned wood.

Edit: aka charcoal

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
What are some PC games that you can pit AI versus AI with no human players?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

alnilam posted:

Earplugs and in-ear earbuds often make my ear canal tickle/itch, in the sort way that can be relieved by firmly rubbing your finger around the tragus/concha - problem being that doing this requires taking the earplug out.

I also happen to have a history of excess earwax, even from periods when I didn't wear earplugs or earbuds ever.

Are these two things related?

No. These are separate mechanisms.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
How lame is it to back out of plans to live with someone over a month in advance?

I am moving for grad school in the fall and have loose plans to take a bedroom in a house with an old acquaintance and two others. I say "loose" because it was a phone conversation and all I have said so far is "yeah that sounds good." We don't have a house yet. I'll spare everyone the details, but I basically found a room for rent that is exactly what I am looking for and relieves me of several problems that I would have if I was to go forward with the original plan and sign a lease. It is better in every conceivable way, except for the fact that I would be backing out of plans with a friend.

The guy would still have a month and a half to find a different person to take the room, and nothing has been signed. We haven't even checked any places out yet. He already has two other people onboard to find a place, so they can also just get a house with one less bedroom if I'm not in the picture. I'm sure most people here have more experience with these types of situations than me. My first thought is that this would be a kind of dick move on my part, but maybe not!

Opinions?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tell him as soon as possible you found a great deal and signed on it already.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Mac OS 10.6, looking for a JDownloader replacement. It seems to no longer work particularly well for me.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Which is more common, "up the wazoo" or "out the wazoo?" It seems to me that if you have a surfeit of something, it's more likely to come out of your butt than go into it. For example if you've got a lot of books, it probably feels like you're "consuming" them, or you are generating them--in both cases, those books would eventually come out of your butt. For a book to jump up your wazoo, it would have to want to do that, or pile up in such quantities that there's no more room and your wazoo is the path of least resistance. It seems much more likely that they would break a window first. It's mad. But a google search indicates a lot of people are getting it wrong... can that be?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mescal posted:

Which is more common, "up the wazoo" or "out the wazoo?" It seems to me that if you have a surfeit of something, it's more likely to come out of your butt than go into it. For example if you've got a lot of books, it probably feels like you're "consuming" them, or you are generating them--in both cases, those books would eventually come out of your butt. For a book to jump up your wazoo, it would have to want to do that, or pile up in such quantities that there's no more room and your wazoo is the path of least resistance. It seems much more likely that they would break a window first. It's mad. But a google search indicates a lot of people are getting it wrong... can that be?

Don't expect idioms to make sense, you will hurt your brain and irritate anyone who has to listen to you.

This is the same language where we take a poo poo or a piss in a public restroom, that's pretty drat gross if you read the words literally.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Organic Robot posted:

What are some PC games that you can pit AI versus AI with no human players?

I can think of older shooters like Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament, but I don't know about the newer games.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mescal posted:

Which is more common, "up the wazoo" or "out the wazoo?"

It is rather clearly "out the wazoo", vis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFFyW4Ad8k

Edit: also, "out the wazoo" returns 3.6 million hits on Google, compared to "up the wazoo"'s 350,000. Where are you searching that you got that initial image?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

greazeball posted:

Don't expect idioms to make sense, you will hurt your brain and irritate anyone who has to listen to you.

This is the same language where we take a poo poo or a piss in a public restroom, that's pretty drat gross if you read the words literally.

Yes but in those and many other idioms "take" entails both control and relaxation. In the case of wazoo it's two straightforward and opposite metaphors.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mescal posted:

I think "up the wazoo" comes from people getting their wires crossed between "out the wazoo" and "up to my rear end/ears/nose in ____"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

If you have ADSL then your internet connection relies on the physical phone line existing. If you have naked ADSL then that's all it relies on. If you have regular ADSL then you also need the line to be connected. But being disconnected by BT may not actually be them disconnecting the line, they may just be blocking you from making calls, in which case your internet would be completely unaffected. You may even still be able to receive calls. If you contact them and tell them your phone's not working they'll probably be able to tell you why, and if they never sent you a letter saying "pay now or we disconnect you" then they'll probably just reconnect it for you (if that's even what happened).

You may have to make a nuisance of yourself if you want it reconnected ASAP and for free, but if you weren't even late enough with your payment to get the disconnection warning then you should really be able to get it restored without any additional fees.
Thanks. And I guess, but I seem to have done a ridiculous amount of arguing with idiot bureaucrats recently, so it's really tempting to just let it go, rely on Skype and pick a fight when next quarter's bill comes.

But realistically I need to get it sorted.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
In the idiom "up the wazoo" what exactly is the wazoo? Is it related to a Kazoo?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Crankit posted:

In the idiom "up the wazoo" what exactly is the wazoo? Is it related to a Kazoo?

According to the Google Dictionary plugin:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

stickyfngrdboy posted:

According to the Google Dictionary plugin:

Thanks that is interesting, I note it says "The anus", is it a specific anus? It's been a while since I've done any bible studies but when some words are capitalised it refers to God. So is it specifically God's anus? Since God is omnipresent does the same hold true for his anus, it makes "Up the wazoo" seem tautalogical if so.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Will be traveling through Hong Kong, mainland China and Japan in a while from North America. Power-wise, we're bringing a charger for a camera battery and several USB-powered devices.

Would a powered USB hub + universal plug adapter be sufficient, or is there more to the equation? Thanks in advance!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Crankit posted:

Thanks that is interesting, I note it says "The anus", is it a specific anus? It's been a while since I've done any bible studies but when some words are capitalised it refers to God. So is it specifically God's anus? Since God is omnipresent does the same hold true for his anus, it makes "Up the wazoo" seem tautalogical if so.

Assuming you're not joking, "The" is capitalised as the start of the sentence, "anus" isn't.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Travakian posted:

Will be traveling through Hong Kong, mainland China and Japan in a while from North America. Power-wise, we're bringing a charger for a camera battery and several USB-powered devices.

Would a powered USB hub + universal plug adapter be sufficient, or is there more to the equation? Thanks in advance!

Should be fine as long as the chargers are rated for 100-220V (most are)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cakefool posted:

Assuming you're not joking, "The" is capitalised as the start of the sentence, "anus" isn't.

Assuming you are joking, that's pretty dry humour.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

haveblue posted:

Usually what happens is you pay a small amount to secure the preorder, which will be deducted from the final price so you don't end up paying extra overall. If you don't pick up the game, they keep this money (as payment for the service of the store holding a copy of the game for you and not letting anyone else buy it). It should say somewhere in the store or on the receipt how long they will wait before giving up on you. You only get charged the full price when you go through with buying the game after it comes out.

They keep the money?

Where are you preordering your games from? GameStop allows you to cancel a preorder and they will either refund your money or allow you to use the amount towards something else. Best Buy does the same thing.

In fact, I've gotten the annoying call from GameStop letting me know I didn't pick up my game and that I have a $5 credit waiting for me there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I hardly ever preorder games, I thought that was how I remembered it working.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sieg posted:

They keep the money?

Where are you preordering your games from? GameStop allows you to cancel a preorder and they will either refund your money or allow you to use the amount towards something else. Best Buy does the same thing.

In fact, I've gotten the annoying call from GameStop letting me know I didn't pick up my game and that I have a $5 credit waiting for me there.

I've definitely not picked up my game and both gotten my money back and pushed the money onto a different preorder. They don't just take your money. Thats insane.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

haveblue posted:

I hardly ever preorder games, I thought that was how I remembered it working.

Yeah, that is completely opposite of how it works.

KoB posted:

I've definitely not picked up my game and both gotten my money back and pushed the money onto a different preorder. They don't just take your money. Thats insane.

Exactly.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Do many/all broadband providers in the US have broadband traffic management?

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002
I used to read this site that listed all of the new psychiatric medications that were currently in FDA clinical trials, separated into categories like "Anxiety", "Depression" etc. I remember it being very minimalistic and straight to-the-point. Does anyone remember that site, and is it still around?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It looks like a piece of burned wood.

Edit: aka charcoal

That's what I thought but how could it get on a beach? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012