Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

A girl from my work has a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint. She needs to cancel her account because she cannot afford to pay for the phone anymore. Is there a way to get the phone to work on verizon? How is that done/where can I get that done? Also, what would be a fair price to buy that from her? I've seen those phones going for $200-300 used.

Swappa $250. If you want one on another carrier it will cost more. Sprint phones are worth less than other carriers.

http://swappa.com/buy/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-sprint/us
(Cheapest 220 Sprint)

http://swappa.com/buy/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-verizon/us
(Cheapest 300 Verizon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I'm sorry, I was unclear. I am wanting to buy it from her and replace my current phone with it if possible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I'm sorry, I was unclear. I am wanting to buy it from her and replace my current phone with it if possible.

Yeah the only type of phone that will work on Verizon is Verizon branded phones that are not reported lost/stolen. Absolutely no exceptions or no way around it. Your friend should eBay the phone.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Even if you did commit a federal felony and clone your old phone's ID onto the Sprint one, it still wouldn't support Verizon's LTE frequencies. Don't bother.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A leaked document says the Motorola X is slated for August 23. Also the prices of insurance plans are going up by $1.01 per month.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing to consider about the X on Verizon. You might be in the same situation with the iPhone 5 in that it will work on other carriers. Technically, the current Razr lineup could work on AT&T, but they lock out domestic carriers (but you can pop an international SIM in there and use it globally.) Since the X is going to be more "nexusy", it's possible that domestic carriers may not be locked out. So, depending on the bands offered, you may be able to buy an X on Verizon and later take it to AT&T for use on HSPA (or T-Mobile.)

CRACK FIRE BEATS
Sep 11, 2001
I bought a Galaxy S3 back in September from Amazon Wireless and have it on Verizon. The audio jack has quit working. I took it into a Verizon retail store and asked about the manufacturer's one year warranty and getting it repaired or replaced. I was told that if I didn't have insurance through Verizon I was poo poo outta luck. Any truth to this? Would Samsung or Amazon do anything for me or am I screwed?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

CRACK FIRE BEATS posted:

I bought a Galaxy S3 back in September from Amazon Wireless and have it on Verizon. The audio jack has quit working. I took it into a Verizon retail store and asked about the manufacturer's one year warranty and getting it repaired or replaced. I was told that if I didn't have insurance through Verizon I was poo poo outta luck. Any truth to this? Would Samsung or Amazon do anything for me or am I screwed?

Nah it still has the manufactures warranty as a broken headphone jack should be covered by it. Just call Verizon and do it over the phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If it wasn't purchased through verizon I could see them referring you to samsung directly for warranty repair.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Corporate stores do everything they can to get you to leave if you aren't buying anything from them. Just do it over the phone.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Corporate stores do everything they can to get you to leave if you aren't buying anything from them. Just do it over the phone.

Also a lot of people go to "Verizon Stores" but overlook the small "authorized reseller" text just under the logo. Anything that says that is not a true corporate store and really gives zero shits about anything not related to you buying something from them.

CRACK FIRE BEATS
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll give Verizon a call this weekend and see how it goes.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

If it wasn't purchased through verizon I could see them referring you to samsung directly for warranty repair.
That would not be normal. Verizon provides tech support and warranty replacement for devices purchased through authorized 3rd party resellers. Amazon is defiantly one of those.

If he was told you needed the insurance feature that might be because the phone has physical damage in which case the warranty is voided.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
My father in-law lost his ruggedized work phone and received a Casio g'Zone Ravine 2 as a replacement. Unfortunately, he hadn't synced his contacts with VZ Backup Assistant before losing his old one.

Is there a VZ software suite that allows you to add contacts and backup the address book on the Casio g'Zone? It would be much easier to type up his extensive work contact list on a computer. Alternatively, can I create an address book using Outlook or GMail and email it to his MMS@vzw.com email? What format do I need to send the contact list?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

goku chewbacca posted:

My father in-law lost his ruggedized work phone and received a Casio g'Zone Ravine 2 as a replacement. Unfortunately, he hadn't synced his contacts with VZ Backup Assistant before losing his old one.

Is there a VZ software suite that allows you to add contacts and backup the address book on the Casio g'Zone? It would be much easier to type up his extensive work contact list on a computer. Alternatively, can I create an address book using Outlook or GMail and email it to his MMS@vzw.com email? What format do I need to send the contact list?

If the gzone has access to the backup assistant app, he could just log in to Verizon wireless website and type in his contacts that way. Download the app on the phone (it's free, even on regular/dumb phones) and it'll sync everything.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I want to get out of my vzw contract. I've heard in others threads how my unlimited plan is worth money to Some people.

What's the full details on that? Would it matter that I'm still on contract?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jigoku San posted:

I want to get out of my vzw contract. I've heard in others threads how my unlimited plan is worth money to Some people.

Sell your phone with it and it wont matter.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Jigoku San posted:

What plan/phone? I might be interested...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jigoku San posted:

Its called assumption of liability. I sold my 2 lines without phones for $280 and $230. I used eBay and both sold within 24 hours.

You call Verizon and tell them who is taking over the line. They then call in and setup service on the line or have it moved to their existing family plan. They will keep the unlimited data and pick a voice and text plan to attach to it. They do have to do a credit check just like anyone else getting service and they must have a smartphone ready to activate when they call.

The new line holder will have the remainder of your contract or 12 months, whichever is more.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Don Lapre posted:

The new line holder will have the remainder of your contract or 12 months, whichever is more.
This might sound dumb but... they get your number? If I could transfer liability yet get rid of the number that might be tempting but otherwise it seems like it would cause a lot of issues.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

benisntfunny posted:

This might sound dumb but... they get your number? If I could transfer liability yet get rid of the number that might be tempting but otherwise it seems like it would cause a lot of issues.

Yes they do but most people would probably have the number changed immediately unless they were your area code.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Ezrem posted:

What plan/phone? I might be interested...

Phone is a Galaxy Nexus with a offical extended battery

Plan is currently 450 minutes, 1000 text but from what Don Lapre is saying that wouldn't matter.

Don Lapre posted:

Its called assumption of liability. I sold my 2 lines without phones for $280 and $230. I used eBay and both sold within 24 hours.

You call Verizon and tell them who is taking over the line. They then call in and setup service on the line or have it moved to their existing family plan. They will keep the unlimited data and pick a voice and text plan to attach to it. They do have to do a credit check just like anyone else getting service and they must have a smartphone ready to activate when they call.

Hrm, I guess if I want to do it I'll have to get the new service/phone first. Even if just to make sure everyone has my new number.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Is there a thread I can complain about Verizon customers?

Customer comes in with 3 grandfathered Alltel lines. I ask them what had to be a dozen times which line I'm upgrading. It's line 1, it's line 1 they say repeatedly to me. I do the upgrade and they tell me as I'm explaining the contract that it was the other line they wanted to upgrade. I asked them which line it was so many times to make sure I didn't accidentally take a phone off of because they can't be put back on the account and even explained that. Their daughter apparently uses all the upgrades to upgrade her line all the time so now they have a completely useless line and I'm on the hook for figuring out a solution that isn't "buy a phone at full price" even though that's the only one myself and anyone else can come up with.

I hate literally everyone on Verizon who doesn't have a current account or a slightly older one with unlimited. Hur, I'm saving so much money by being on my terrible 900 minute account with no text messaging that I pay $28 in overages on every month.

:negative:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

benisntfunny posted:

Also a lot of people go to "Verizon Stores" but overlook the small "authorized reseller" text just under the logo. Anything that says that is not a true corporate store and really gives zero shits about anything not related to you buying something from them.

Please don't generalize. My stores do service for people who don't buy from us all the time. The idea is when you want a new phone you will actually want decent customer service rather than something stuffed in a box with no information.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Is there a thread I can complain about Verizon customers?

Customer comes in with 3 grandfathered Alltel lines. I ask them what had to be a dozen times which line I'm upgrading. It's line 1, it's line 1 they say repeatedly to me. I do the upgrade and they tell me as I'm explaining the contract that it was the other line they wanted to upgrade. I asked them which line it was so many times to make sure I didn't accidentally take a phone off of because they can't be put back on the account and even explained that. Their daughter apparently uses all the upgrades to upgrade her line all the time so now they have a completely useless line and I'm on the hook for figuring out a solution that isn't "buy a phone at full price" even though that's the only one myself and anyone else can come up with.

I hate literally everyone on Verizon who doesn't have a current account or a slightly older one with unlimited. Hur, I'm saving so much money by being on my terrible 900 minute account with no text messaging that I pay $28 in overages on every month.

:negative:

"I refuse to sign a contract"

.....Proceeds to spend 5 times as on a full retail device, keeps service for 5 years.

"I won't upgrade if I can't keep unlimited"

.....Uses 200MB a month average.

The ones that are really getting on my nerves are the dumbphone people.

"Why don't any of these do anything more than my old LG EnV2" They do...it's called a smartphone you cheap-skate.

"This is all you have" Yes. Thats all thats being made anymore. You can't go to a Ford dealer and ask them to sell you a brand new 1956 Thunderbird can you?

We also have been getting a flood of people with ANCIENT phones looking for batteries and getting loud and obnoxious because we don't have them. "No Sir, I really don't stock a battery for a Motorola V65S, it's been out of production for nearly 7 years and wasn't terribly common even back then"

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 15, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

I manage the phones for my company and management absolutely refuses to let go of the unlimited plans for the 1/4 of our staff that have them. So I have to juggle old phones and upgrades to make sure they never lose them. Meanwhile they don't want employees to use the phone for anything other than email and business-related web browsing. :v:

Really if we just put all those plans on 2GB and ate the overages when they happen, we'd be saving money and wouldn't have to give those employees used phones.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Mighty Horse posted:

Please don't generalize. My stores do service for people who don't buy from us all the time. The idea is when you want a new phone you will actually want decent customer service rather than something stuffed in a box with no information.

This has literally never happened at any Verizon store ever, reseller or not

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

alg posted:

While I have no comparison, other than the moronic person who activated my sister's phone on the wrong line (they both share the same last 4 digits), I have been thoroughly impressed with how courteous the service at my local corporate store is. They bend over backwards to make sure you're doing well.

Maybe it's the rare exception.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

"I refuse to sign a contract"

.....Proceeds to spend 5 times as on a full retail device, keeps service for 5 years.

The ones that are really getting on my nerves are the dumbphone people.

"Why don't any of these do anything more than my old LG EnV2" They do...it's called a smartphone you cheap-skate.

"This is all you have" Yes. Thats all thats being made anymore. You can't go to a Ford dealer and ask them to sell you a brand new 1956 Thunderbird can you?

We also have been getting a flood of people with ANCIENT phones looking for batteries and getting loud and obnoxious because we don't have them. "No Sir, I really don't stock a battery for a Motorola V65S, it's been out of production for nearly 7 years and wasn't terribly common even back then"

I read all this and started hyperventilating IRL. I barely get paid for basic phone upgrades and my store is apparently the only one with them for miles but we only have Brightsides so it leads to a lot of hour and a half long resistive touchscreen instruction sessions with octogenarians who just needed a flip phone.

The only thing I like less is when someone with Solavei even looks at me and opens their mouth. I don't care.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

So apparently Verizon is looking to counter act the new upgrade rules that T-Mobile now has:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/15/verizon-vz-edge-phone-upgrade-program/

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Vintimus Prime posted:

So apparently Verizon is looking to counter act the new upgrade rules that T-Mobile now has:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/15/verizon-vz-edge-phone-upgrade-program/

Would be awesome except for upgrading my phone causes me to switch to a plan that would cost me about $40 more a month. If Verizon can default their 4G plans to 4GB I might get on board. Even then, still more expensive then what I am paying now.

A future a lesser coverage on T-Mo is still waiting for me in October at this point.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

benisntfunny posted:

Would be awesome except for upgrading my phone causes me to switch to a plan that would cost me about $40 more a month. If Verizon can default their 4G plans to 4GB I might get on board. Even then, still more expensive then what I am paying now.

A future a lesser coverage on T-Mo is still waiting for me in October at this point.

Same here. There is absolutely no T-M out in Missoula but I am looking to move to either Denver or Portland next year. I am really considering switching when I do.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Can we add a line to a share everything plan without a contract? We have an old Verizon iPhone, and would like to be able to use an 'upgrade (sign for 2 years)' maybe two weeks after opening the line.

\/\/\/ Thanks! This is excellent news

manwithoutskin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 17, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

manwithoutskin posted:

Can we add a line to a share everything plan without a contract? We have an old Verizon iPhone, and would like to be able to use an 'upgrade (sign for 2 years)' maybe two weeks after opening the line.

You sure can, and it'll go month to month. You can do it online, even. Log into your online account, go to the "Activate or Switch Device" screen, where there's an option to activate a device you already have on a new line.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

alg posted:

Not having a lovely attitude like this before you enter the building and ruin someone's day goes a really really long way when getting service.

It happens. Many, many times a day.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I actually avoid going to the Verizon store because Amazon/Verizon.com have always taken care of me. Every time I've been to a VZW store I've been asked to buy a new phone. Last time I went, I was told I needed my dad with me in order to have my own work discount applied :allears:. This was at a reseller, who I guess was really disappointed I wasn't buying a new phone.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
Sorry you had a negative experience at a store location. If you want to PM me the details of what happened I can submit official feedback to them and to corporate.

Or if you don't want to PM me you can call customer service and they can submit the feedback for you.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I'm trying to swap phone from one line to another online, I'm trying to swap my Rezound from my unlimited line to a regular 2GB line, and the SGS4 on that line to my unlimited line, but I keep getting this error:

SIM Card Required
Your request requires changes to one of your plans.

Is this a swap I'll have to do over the phone or in store?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Verizon officially unveiled the 'Verizon Edge' program.

quote:

Technology changes fast. You purchase a phone or tablet and within a few short months, something new hits the shelves.

If you want to stay on top of the latest technology, the new Verizon Edge device payment plan offers an affordable way to upgrade to the newest device and satisfy your love of technology. Verizon Edge is a flexible equipment payment plan that spreads the retail price of a phone over 24 months. You can also upgrade to a new phone after six months if 50 percent of the retail cost has been paid.

Here’s how it works: Choose the phone you want and sign up for a month-to-month service plan, it’s as easy as that. The full retail price of the phone will be divided over 24 months and you’ll pay the first month at the time of purchase. If you want to upgrade after 6 months, just pay off 50% of the full retail price of the phone and you can choose a new phone and start all over again.

There are no long-term service contracts, finance charges or upgrade fees with Verizon Edge. Every six months, as long as 50 percent of the cost of the phone has been paid, you can upgrade to the newest basic or smartphone available.

Verizon Edge will be available to customers on Share Everything plans starting August 25th.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2013/07/edge-device-payment-early-upgrade.html

I was hoping there'd be some option for those currently in and almost done with their contract to switch to it and upgrade early but it doesn't look like it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I doubt it will be worth it when compared to just selling your phone and buying a new one and paying the difference, plus I'm not changing to a Share Everything plan because that would raise my payment by $30 every month to get the same amount of data (technically it would give me more minutes and texts, but I don't use anywhere near what I have now such that I would need unlimited).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Apparently whatever is in the air has spread to my VZW GNex, because mine won't charge over the MicroUSB any more. :( I have insurance, if I go to a store will they just order me a new one or?

• Locked thread