Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Bam. Great information, thanks everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I would like to note that if you are the type that washes out with a white shirt under office lights, go for light blue, other conservative colors, or an off-white like what they wear on TV. Don't look like a vampire because you just defaulted to white and it doesn't fit your skin tone.

Source: I am like this and stopped wearing white shirts because I look terrible in them.

rouliroul
Mar 8, 2005

I'm all-in.
Got rejected after interview. I can reapply for next year with the same file. If they say no again I guess I'll need to find a different way to be a baller.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

rouliroul posted:

Got rejected after interview. I can reapply for next year with the same file. If they say no again I guess I'll need to find a different way to be a baller.
Take the time to strengthen your sense of direction and portfolio.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 23, 2019

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
An update on the Western Governors University MBA program. (TL;DR: Interesting learning experience so far. Not remotely traditional but seems very effective.)

I got in and I just started my first class (E-Business).

Term system: You sign up for 3 or 4 classes for each 6 month term. You take the classes consecutively rather than several at the same time and spend 100% of your time on that single class. Once you're done with the class you move on to the next. If you complete all of your classes you line up for that term you just keep on going and start the next term's courses early. You pay by the term, not the credit hour. Terms start at the first of the month when you are ready with no more than a 3 month delay between terms or you are administratively dropped and you have to reapply. One person can start a term in July and another start in August. Technically speaking, the August guy could be done before you depending on level of effort. I am shooting to have everything done in 18 months.

PROS:
1. Coursework is very well structured and progress is easily measured. I have a Syllabus which says where I should be at each week and I can accelerate or slow down as I need. Online, there is a student dashboard which details each subject in the class and provides instructions on what to read and what to do. Since each activity can be checked off online, I actually have a freaking progress bar. That's neat.

2. Final product and grade in this first class is to take a small business and build a complete market analysis, establish a plan on how to expand the business locally, establish a web presence, and then attempt to take the organization international. You don't actually do this, but you have to build a plan. What is neat is that I have to take a real local company with limited online presence and take each step with real competitors and establish a business case. No widgets or idealized imaginary businesses. I have to mock up a website, too.

3. The mentoring system seems like it will be a lot of help. You have an individual mentor that monitors you throughout your program and there are course mentors for each class who are SMEs. The mentors ensure you don't get blocked and are there via email and phone if you have questions. Their guidelines are responses within 24 hours and total resolution to questions no later than 4 days. If you stop contact with the university mentors for more than 15 days without sufficient explanation, you are admin dropped.

4. The online reading is good and useful, the individual tasks are reinforcing well and do work well. The individual tasks build together towards your final graded assessment.

5. You have three attempts to produce a satisfactory final project, which correlates to your class exam. You get feedback on how you do each time. From my reading, most assessments are rejected the first time but most folks learn from the feedback and succeed later on. I find this to be superior to a traditional final exam because you do get immediate feedback which reinforces learning, not just a letter grade and a hearty thank you. If you need more than 3 attempts, you have to pay a testing fee each time.

6. The consecutive class layout is nice. There is no competition for my time and brain. A traditional classroom setting could not pull this off.

Cons:
1. I just started and the quantitative stuff is in the future, but this class isn't much of a challenge yet. I am 42 and have plenty of real world experience so that might explain how I feel. Doing some of the marketing is nothing I've done before but nothing was outside my comfort zone.

2. The online multimedia stuff is stupid. I don't need someone to lecture me and then quiz me every 5 minutes with ridiculous little puzzles. I understand the positive reinforcement, but I find myself muting the audio and reading the subtitles. The scores on the multimedia stuff don't matter.

3. Doesn't seem to be any interaction between students. For me, this is no problem as I am not going to be networking in my career any more than I already do. Someone in their 20s will not benefit from this lack of interaction.

Impressions:

The syllabus is no joke. It is daunting, although I understand this class is more intense than a lot of the other classes. I get the sense that this class is a "weeder" class. This school makes you prove competency rather than handing out "life-credits" because you drove a bulldozer for 20 years.

The subject material is accessible. If you have a BBA then none of this will come as a surprise, which I would say is to be expected.

Finally, this is a pretty good fit for me so far. I hope I can keep it up and nothing interrupts my progress.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Keith Stone posted:

3. Doesn't seem to be any interaction between students. For me, this is no problem as I am not going to be networking in my career any more than I already do. Someone in their 20s will not benefit from this lack of interaction.

Awesome insights--thank you for sharing.

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013
Hey MBAs, I just noticed that all my MBA finance stuff (and the CFA exams everyone seems to think are so great here) overlap pretty heavily with the actuarial exams. Should I start taking them across my 2nd year (due to synergy with CFAs), or am I just turning myself into an MS Finance at that point?

Is that, like, the most un-MBA thing I could opt to do with my degree (in progress)?

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Poop Faerie posted:

At this point my trials are all dealing with the rush to get the Visa situation figured out, set up financing, etc. I guess a couple questions on things we've done to see if we've screwed ourselves... Since you know the area well, we've set up to live in Samoreau - we're gonna be renting a car and didn't think that would be an issue being a bit further out, and we could get a bit more bang for our buck (if it were just me it'd be different, but my wife is coming with and if we don't have a little space to get away from each other, I think we'd choke each other out).

Also, banking quick - we were looking at setting up an HSBC account, is that fine for Fontainebleau or should we look at something else?

Good luck on Jan entry! Let me know if there's anything I can help out with. Both of my interviewers were Jan entries and tried to push the benefits over August, but given my situation it would have been weird to figure out the next 4 months (currently in law school in the US, but decided it's not for me, so I'd basically end up with 4 months of downtime). Biggest benefit in their minds was the opportunity for a summer internship, and barring that, 3 months to have fun in Europe.

Sorry didn't answer you sooner, been traveling round Thailand.

Samoreaus one of the smaller towns in the area but works perfectly fine, it's just a quick 10 mins away from the school. Those villages are a better bet for couples than trying to find a small place in Bleau - I used to babysit for tons of student families around that area and they all loved it. Still plenty close to the chateau parties too.

You're right next to Vulaines as well which has proper supermarkets and everything. You will definitely need a car - public transit is near non-existent (few buses, train to Paris) so it is key to getting around and doing anything.

As for banking, I can't speak to HSBC but most of the banking is done through societe generale, might be worth opening an account with them.

On that note, got the admissions news myself - starting Jan 14 in INSEAD!

Poop Faerie
Jun 22, 2009

Cart posted:

Sorry didn't answer you sooner, been traveling round Thailand.

Samoreaus one of the smaller towns in the area but works perfectly fine, it's just a quick 10 mins away from the school. Those villages are a better bet for couples than trying to find a small place in Bleau - I used to babysit for tons of student families around that area and they all loved it. Still plenty close to the chateau parties too.

You're right next to Vulaines as well which has proper supermarkets and everything. You will definitely need a car - public transit is near non-existent (few buses, train to Paris) so it is key to getting around and doing anything.

As for banking, I can't speak to HSBC but most of the banking is done through societe generale, might be worth opening an account with them.

On that note, got the admissions news myself - starting Jan 14 in INSEAD!

Congratulations, fellow INSEADer! Drop me an email off SA and let's get in touch for when you're heading to campus. bo.harrison[AT]gmail

We've got the car set up now as well. Last thing we gotta work is financing (small deal, I know) but otherwise it all seems set.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

nm

A CRAB IRL fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 1, 2013

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

This is a long shot. I am in the PT program at NYU and looking for scholarships or other ways to help defray the $1800/hr tuition. I started looking around on fastweb, but they are definitely targeting undergrads and the ones for grad students look scammy. Unfortunately, a white male MBA student attending part time is not what the average scholarship application seems to be looking for. Any tips?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
What is the preferred test prep class for the GMAT? I'm not sure when I am going to school but I'd like to get the test out of the way since I am fairly certain it will be in the next few years. I tend to underwork if I'm self studying so I want to enroll in a physical class to keep on track.

There is a Manhattan test prep close to me and they seem to have a solid reputation. Anyone have any advice/opinions?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I'm using the Manhattan books and they've been a huge boost. Not exactly what you're looking for, but the information they teach from is definitely solid.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Xguard86 posted:

What is the preferred test prep class for the GMAT? I'm not sure when I am going to school but I'd like to get the test out of the way since I am fairly certain it will be in the next few years. I tend to underwork if I'm self studying so I want to enroll in a physical class to keep on track.

There is a Manhattan test prep close to me and they seem to have a solid reputation. Anyone have any advice/opinions?
Some university extensions offer a prep course. Can be a good way to familiarize with a campus you're interested in applying to.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I'm using the Manhattan books and they've been a huge boost. Not exactly what you're looking for, but the information they teach from is definitely solid.

Manhattan books were really useful - they do a way better job of teaching you how to work through a question, not just the answers. Can't speak for the courses.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

spoke to a friend that took the GMAT and did pretty well, he said get the books but don't bother with the class. I guess I should check out the library and try making some "official" time on my schedule. Maybe I can get in the habit by going to a coffee shop without my phone or something since saving like $1,000 does sound much nicer.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Xguard86 posted:

spoke to a friend that took the GMAT and did pretty well, he said get the books but don't bother with the class. I guess I should check out the library and try making some "official" time on my schedule. Maybe I can get in the habit by going to a coffee shop without my phone or something since saving like $1,000 does sound much nicer.

That, or $1000 is the cost of ready-made discipline for you. The only reason I carved out time and stuck to a schedule to study for the GREs was because I had plopped down the money on a Kaplan course. That's up to you, though. Can you spend commit to spending X hours per week in a coffee shop studying when no one is making you?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

bam thwok posted:

That's up to you, though. Can you spend commit to spending X hours per week in a coffee shop studying when no one is making you?

If that's a challenge for you, I'm not sure b-school is for you...

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

shrike82 posted:

If that's a challenge for you, I'm not sure b-school is for you...

Tuition is a hell of a forcing mechanism too.

Jdubs
May 1, 2007
So I am in the process of applying to B-school and was hoping I could get some advice about retaking undergraduate level courses.

I am a Biology and Chemistry BS that graduated in 2011. Sophomore year I was very confused as to what I wanted to do with my life. Not only that, but I had very low motivation to do anything but smoke weed and play videogames. I quickly got out of that funk, but during those two semesters, I took Macro and Micro economics, and did very poorly in both of them. I didn't go to class, and was in an all around haze.

I switched to some science courses the following year and excelled. What I'm now realizing is that it wasn't that I had no interest in those subjects. It was that I had no interest in school at all. I am very confident that I want my MBA, but I'm afraid admissions will take a look at my transcript, see how poorly I did that year, specifically in the only two Business-y classes I took, and raise some eyebrows.

So my question is whether I should retake Microeconomics and Macroeconomics this upcoming year at a local community college (NOVA), and show them that I can dominate the subject material (which I'm confident that I can), and apply in 2014. Or should I forget about it and continue applying for this year's rounds.

-I should also add that while I'm sure I could do well in both courses, I am not an expert by any means. I just know that I have the motivation to study hard and do well. If I didn't enroll in the classes, I would still probably learn the material on my own before starting B-school.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

antiga posted:

This is a long shot. I am in the PT program at NYU and looking for scholarships or other ways to help defray the $1800/hr tuition. I started looking around on fastweb, but they are definitely targeting undergrads and the ones for grad students look scammy. Unfortunately, a white male MBA student attending part time is not what the average scholarship application seems to be looking for. Any tips?

Almost no one is going to be getting a scholarship for an MBA, especially not part-time, white male or not.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

Your academic record is not as important if you have good job experience and recommendations.

MBA is not grad school. You won't be getting a scholarship.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Vomik posted:

Almost no one is going to be getting a scholarship for an MBA, especially not part-time, white male or not.

That's what I figured, but I had to wonder when the check for two classes is $15000. Thanks

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I'm currently studying for the GMAT for the MBA my company is going to pay for. I kind of want to transfer out of what I do now (compliance, my job is part analyst and part confronting people, I can't stand the latter) and get into something else and based on my undergrad coursework I've narrowed it down focusing on accounting or finance during my program.

Anyone have any insight or experience as to the pros and cons of each? I'd be able to transition into either department at my company (big pharma) in time, but from my understanding id likely never get a CPA license without leaving my company (which would be undesirable for a few years after graduation due to tuition assistance vesting schedules) due to my states public accounting experience requirements. This kinda makes me feel like I'd be shooting myself in the foot to try and get into accounting at this stage in the game.

Poop Faerie
Jun 22, 2009

Jdubs posted:

So I am in the process of applying to B-school and was hoping I could get some advice about retaking undergraduate level courses.

I am a Biology and Chemistry BS that graduated in 2011. Sophomore year I was very confused as to what I wanted to do with my life. Not only that, but I had very low motivation to do anything but smoke weed and play videogames. I quickly got out of that funk, but during those two semesters, I took Macro and Micro economics, and did very poorly in both of them. I didn't go to class, and was in an all around haze.

I switched to some science courses the following year and excelled. What I'm now realizing is that it wasn't that I had no interest in those subjects. It was that I had no interest in school at all. I am very confident that I want my MBA, but I'm afraid admissions will take a look at my transcript, see how poorly I did that year, specifically in the only two Business-y classes I took, and raise some eyebrows.

So my question is whether I should retake Microeconomics and Macroeconomics this upcoming year at a local community college (NOVA), and show them that I can dominate the subject material (which I'm confident that I can), and apply in 2014. Or should I forget about it and continue applying for this year's rounds.

-I should also add that while I'm sure I could do well in both courses, I am not an expert by any means. I just know that I have the motivation to study hard and do well. If I didn't enroll in the classes, I would still probably learn the material on my own before starting B-school.

From my perspective, work experience is heads and tails more important than you grades, and for what they may look at grades for, they'll be more focused on overall rather than specific courses. That being said, nothing negative about taking the courses, and if you're planning to learn it on your own anyways then it may be work taking the classes, and you can include some note or something on your applications stating that you're currently taking the classes. For me the courses would be more about showing you're serious about this and using it as essay fodder instead of overcoming concerns you have from a couple classes you took 4-5 years ago.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Has anyone gone through, or is familiar with, the Rutgers Flex MBA program? I'm 36, the father of two and work full-time and I'm looking at the Flex program as a way to get an MBA in Marketing. I feel like my skillset and networking circles have been increasingly devalued in some respects and the MBA could be an effective way to switch fields. I'm in financial journalism now and have 10 years of newspaper reporting under my belt, as well as three years PR/communications experience. I see tons of jobs in my area (NJ/NYC) on the corporate communications side that interest me, but the competition is fierce and frankly I think the lack of an MBA or master's in Communications/PR is holding me back.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Argali posted:

Has anyone gone through, or is familiar with, the Rutgers Flex MBA program? I'm 36, the father of two and work full-time and I'm looking at the Flex program as a way to get an MBA in Marketing. I feel like my skillset and networking circles have been increasingly devalued in some respects and the MBA could be an effective way to switch fields. I'm in financial journalism now and have 10 years of newspaper reporting under my belt, as well as three years PR/communications experience. I see tons of jobs in my area (NJ/NYC) on the corporate communications side that interest me, but the competition is fierce and frankly I think the lack of an MBA or master's in Communications/PR is holding me back.

Would you be able to swing the commute to New York? Take a look at the NYU/Columbia part time/executive programs instead. Rutgers is a pretty mediocre business school (said as a Rutgers undergrad) - it is unlikely that Rutgers will open any doors that aren't already open for you. Your time and money would probably be better spent on networking into the corporate communications jobs that you are interested in rather than on pursing a Rutgers MBA.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Pissingintowind posted:

Would you be able to swing the commute to New York? Take a look at the NYU/Columbia part time/executive programs instead. Rutgers is a pretty mediocre business school (said as a Rutgers undergrad) - it is unlikely that Rutgers will open any doors that aren't already open for you. Your time and money would probably be better spent on networking into the corporate communications jobs that you are interested in rather than on pursing a Rutgers MBA.

Commuting to NYC is possible - I work in Hoboken - but obviously the cost gives me pause since I'd be paying out-of-state tuition. I hear what you're saying about networking into a job, but that's tough to do right now since my current job (financial journalism) is so demanding. I'm viewing the MBA as killing a few birds with one stone really, with the goal of being a "pivot" fully away from journalism and into marketing. Right now I feel that without the MBA I'm only in the mix for hybrid gigs that still have some root in the journalism world (like client PR where you're pitching stories to the media) and I want none of that poo poo.

Anyway, the input is appreciated, and I'll do some more research into the NYC programs.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Has anyone taken any classes that were based overseas? In my MBA program, looks like I'll have the opportunity to go to countries like Argentina and Germany for a class. However it is only two weeks in length. Just wondering if anyone has partaken in those kinds of classes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Experiment posted:

Has anyone taken any classes that were based overseas? In my MBA program, looks like I'll have the opportunity to go to countries like Argentina and Germany for a class. However it is only two weeks in length. Just wondering if anyone has partaken in those kinds of classes.

I did. It owned. Two weeks in Germany for a class on "International Business". Basically an excuse to go drink a lot in a foreign country with 8AM meetings every day to prevent you from going to overboard.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
TL;DR: WGU update. I'm liking this alternative form of education.

I have an update on the Western Governor's University MBA program. As a reminder, this program has classes which run consecutively and not concurrently so you progress at your own rate. There is no insta-credit for time served in the trenches, but it doesn't force you to relearn things you already know.

I just finished my first class. I am 42 years old with 20 years professional experience so none of this is new to me. I finished the class in 3 weeks without any problems. You receive a timeline where the class is laid out for 6 weeks to complete and you go faster or slower based on your skills. I learned a few things about marketing plans that I had forgotten since it's not something I normally work with. Since this was an e-business course, I also learned a lot about establishing small businesses online, customer relationship management, and even a little international business expansion.

The next class is IT Management. There is a ton of reading from the Program Management Book of Knowledge and the assignments are crazy. You get a case study on a company looking to implement a new human resources information system and a ton of personnel data and interviews with upper management. From this you have to develop staffing and resource needs, develop a WBS, and a host of similar tasks. You have to sort out personnel based on compatibility of the personnel and their mix of professional skills. There is actually a memo which details which combinations of employees work well together and which should not be put on the same team due to personality conflicts. All the support documentation adds up to 23 pages of material to sort through. Although the task is huge in scope, I am actually looking forward to digging into this task. After this one, there are two other tasks in this class. My job actually does a lot of Program Management, so this should be a hoot.

From what I understand, WGU does a lot of this. They give you simulated real-world data and have you develop tools and guidance to solve a problem. I find that this is superior to a multiple choice exam which you just cram for. The next class after this is human resources and you have to justify the firing of an employee based on existing labor laws and company rules.

I hate to say it, but so far I'm having fun.

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Hi all
I'm new to SA, enjoying the site.

I would be happy to help with any questions or advice in the realm of MBAs or what to do after in the fields of investments private equity etc..

I worked for six years before I applied and was accepted to a few MBA programs, I chose BU where I finished in three years going part time (full time work during the day, school at night BRUTAL time). My third year I did some volunteering as well to help first year foreign students adjust to the US style of education (Heavy use of case studies, participation in class etc.. ). I really liked that and made some good friends in the process.

After finishing I switch employers and have been working for almost eight years at a small private equity investment firm. Most folks here are MBAs from the elite programs Harvard, MIT Stanford etc...

My one big piece of advice during the MBA is get to really know your class mates. The friendships and connections you develop during the program are very important. Networking is really what separates the various tier programs as well. In my view the actual education you receive at Harvard vs BU vs State U is not all that different, what is different is that more likely than not your buddy's dad happens to play golf with the president of that company you want to work at.

Get a solid diverse group to study with, try and get a super star at each subject type (Math, finance, report writing, squishy leadership, etc.) so the group can tackle any subject, it will pay dividends.

Also focus on good grades, it helps get you in the door for interviews if you end up very high in your class.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Thoguh posted:

I did. It owned. Two weeks in Germany for a class on "International Business". Basically an excuse to go drink a lot in a foreign country with 8AM meetings every day to prevent you from going to overboard.

I like the sound of this. My program is doing a trip to Rio for next spring, I am already planning it out.

Oliax
Aug 19, 2011

Bavaro-Mancunian
Friendship Society

J4Gently posted:

Hi all
I'm new to SA, enjoying the site.

I would be happy to help with any questions or advice in the realm of MBAs or what to do after in the fields of investments private equity etc..

I worked for six years before I applied and was accepted to a few MBA programs, I chose BU where I finished in three years going part time (full time work during the day, school at night BRUTAL time). My third year I did some volunteering as well to help first year foreign students adjust to the US style of education (Heavy use of case studies, participation in class etc.. ). I really liked that and made some good friends in the process.

After finishing I switch employers and have been working for almost eight years at a small private equity investment firm. Most folks here are MBAs from the elite programs Harvard, MIT Stanford etc...

My one big piece of advice during the MBA is get to really know your class mates. The friendships and connections you develop during the program are very important. Networking is really what separates the various tier programs as well. In my view the actual education you receive at Harvard vs BU vs State U is not all that different, what is different is that more likely than not your buddy's dad happens to play golf with the president of that company you want to work at.

Get a solid diverse group to study with, try and get a super star at each subject type (Math, finance, report writing, squishy leadership, etc.) so the group can tackle any subject, it will pay dividends.

Also focus on good grades, it helps get you in the door for interviews if you end up very high in your class.

/Agree

I got my MBA from Wharton, and 15+ years later by far the biggest benefit of that experience was the people I met, which are now in positions to help me and who I am in a position to help also. The selectivity of a "top-tier" MBA program breeds a certain esprit de corps, just like being on a varsity team or member of a club does. Simply having those credentials gives someone a certain stamp of approval that can be priceless when building business relationships.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

The Experiment posted:

My program has week-long classes overseas. I haven't done one (yet), but my classmates who have raved about how good a time they had. Obviously, you should probably spend a few extra days vacation on one end or the other.

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

Just wanted to sign in and say that I'm in the process of studying for the GMAT.

Since my work contract for one job was up this June, I figured it'd be the perfect time to study and take the test, since I plan on most likely starting another job contract towards the tail end of September. I also work veeeeery flexible hours at a second job, which is more of a passion thing than for money (thank God, since it rarely pays).

I still don't know how realistic it is for me to actually get into an MBA program (much less a reputable one) but either way, here are my stats in case anyone would like to either encourage me or tell me that I better study my rear end off and get a 700+ on the GMAT:

-Graduated with a BA in Communication Studies in 2008, overall GPA of 3.11 (yes, this is low)
-Worked from 2008 until now in film production; first as a producer's assistant and now as a development exec for a tiny production company. I'm currently working on a distribution deal for a $8.7M project that should get off the ground before the end of the calendar year, though who knows
-Also worked in finance (mutual funds) as a Sales Coordinator for Fidelity Investments from May 2012 to this June (13-month work contract)

I fully realize that my lack of a concrete business background could seriously hurt my application, but I've been told at numerous information sessions that since MBA programs are interested in fleshing out their classes with individuals of various backgrounds, maybe I could have a shot?

As for my GPA, I realize it's my biggest weakness. Back in 2008, I never thought I'd be applying to an MBA program in my lifetime, so let's just say the motivation for getting a much higher GPA wasn't there. Ironically, my highest grades were in Personal Finance (bullshit intro course, but still) and in Real Estate.

Whatever happens, I plan on applying to many schools during the first wave of applications this ~October.

Any words of advice are obviously more than welcomed...

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I'm going to an MBA networking event/fair/presentation in my city tomorrow (this http://www.thembatour.com/), and with a number of my target schools coming and having invited me to do a meet and greet, I'm trying to figure out what I ought to be aiming to get out of it. Because I'm applying to a number of schools in different cities, this might be among the few chances I have to speak with representatives in person.

My plan is to make the rounds to the schools I'm interested in, drop off a resume + business card, and ask each a few pointed questions/converse for a bit.

Any advice on dos and don'ts? Has anyone ever attended a similar session? What questions should I come prepared to answer?

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

I actually went to the MBA Tour in NYC last February and I got a lot of my own questions answered. We were basically told at the start of the day that we shouldn't waste our time asking representatives basic questions that could be covered on their respective websites and whatnot.

I must say that I didn't see anyone drop off any resumes or business cards. Whether it's kosher or not, I'm not sure but you shouldn't treat it like a pre-application. These representatives meet so many people over the year before the application period starts that it may simply just not be of any use.

Personally, the event helped me understand which schools might be a better fit for me overall (due to my personality, their curriculum, etc.) and I got to compare myself with other "prospective" MBA students.

Needless to say, follow a business dress code. I saw a few people who were very casually dressed and the representatives weren't too impressed by them.

A good plan is to also check out schools you haven't thought of just in case they may end up fitting your needs better. You never know! You can always just walk around the event and pick up their information.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Frost000 posted:

I actually went to the MBA Tour in NYC last February and I got a lot of my own questions answered. We were basically told at the start of the day that we shouldn't waste our time asking representatives basic questions that could be covered on their respective websites and whatnot.

I must say that I didn't see anyone drop off any resumes or business cards. Whether it's kosher or not, I'm not sure but you shouldn't treat it like a pre-application. These representatives meet so many people over the year before the application period starts that it may simply just not be of any use.

Thanks for the heads up. I was envisioning this as more akin to competitive on campus recruiting, where resume drops and making memorable impressions were the main goals. I'm much more comfortable treating it as an information session in advance of my applications, rather than as a part of my candidacy, if you get my meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

bam thwok posted:

I'm going to an MBA networking event/fair/presentation in my city tomorrow (this http://www.thembatour.com/), and with a number of my target schools coming and having invited me to do a meet and greet, I'm trying to figure out what I ought to be aiming to get out of it. Because I'm applying to a number of schools in different cities, this might be among the few chances I have to speak with representatives in person.

My plan is to make the rounds to the schools I'm interested in, drop off a resume + business card, and ask each a few pointed questions/converse for a bit.

Any advice on dos and don'ts? Has anyone ever attended a similar session? What questions should I come prepared to answer?

Hello-

I'm someone in a similar boat, worse even. From reading this thread

Frost000 posted:

Just wanted to sign in and say that I'm in the process of studying for the GMAT.

Since my work contract for one job was up this June, I figured it'd be the perfect time to study and take the test, since I plan on most likely starting another job contract towards the tail end of September. I also work veeeeery flexible hours at a second job, which is more of a passion thing than for money (thank God, since it rarely pays).

I still don't know how realistic it is for me to actually get into an MBA program (much less a reputable one) but either way, here are my stats in case anyone would like to either encourage me or tell me that I better study my rear end off and get a 700+ on the GMAT:

-Graduated with a BA in Communication Studies in 2008, overall GPA of 3.11 (yes, this is low)
-Worked from 2008 until now in film production; first as a producer's assistant and now as a development exec for a tiny production company. I'm currently working on a distribution deal for a $8.7M project that should get off the ground before the end of the calendar year, though who knows
-Also worked in finance (mutual funds) as a Sales Coordinator for Fidelity Investments from May 2012 to this June (13-month work contract)

I fully realize that my lack of a concrete business background could seriously hurt my application, but I've been told at numerous information sessions that since MBA programs are interested in fleshing out their classes with individuals of various backgrounds, maybe I could have a shot?

As for my GPA, I realize it's my biggest weakness. Back in 2008, I never thought I'd be applying to an MBA program in my lifetime, so let's just say the motivation for getting a much higher GPA wasn't there. Ironically, my highest grades were in Personal Finance (bullshit intro course, but still) and in Real Estate.

Whatever happens, I plan on applying to many schools during the first wave of applications this ~October.

Any words of advice are obviously more than welcomed...

As someone who is interested in these programs, has done a lot of research, and is in a worse boat than you:

When they say they are looking for diverse people that's not what they mean.

They mean instead of your typical white ambitious male who wants to go into trading, they want a biracial UC 4.0 cross country stud with leadership and the right company names.

They all want excellent people, these schools aren't the place for upward mobility.

Are you underprivileged?

What have you accomplished?

Have you worked for a big name company?

You need these things to be rock solid before you can have a chance to beat out the competition. Because its a competition.