Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Also, that Farsight codex is going to be a terrible mistake, especially if it's like Iyanden and written by Matt Ward. Farsight is far better as a mystery than whatever nonsense Ward could cook up. It might even significantly ruin the main Tau fluff if they try to explain who the Ethereals really are.

What was wrong with the Iyanden codex? I just read the part about ghost cities and that was pretty cool I thought.

Also, am I just reading the codex wrong or do Wave Serpents now make other Eldar tanks (Falcon cough) irrelevant? Who thought it was a good idea to give a dedicated transport the best light AT gun in the army list?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I present Mr Buffalo Chicken. He used some of the new Dreadball dwarf minis from Mantic, but they also have a full line of the aformentioned forgefathers that should be similar. Pairing with normal terminator arms for 40k appropriate weapons is easy enough and the scale of the arms can be forgiven based on how close it really is and how much easier it makes the conversion.

Whoa, whoa WHOA. This is exactly the sort of stuff I'm looking for. Totally rad!

JerryLee posted:

Do you know about Mantic space dwarves (Forge Fathers?) or am I missing something as to why they aren't the snap choice for what you're saying you want?

Yeah, but I don't want to use someone else's minis, I want to convert my own. Though cribbing bits and pieces from different armies is cool :)

SRM posted:

ArbitorIan over on Dakka does good Squats too, using IG arms and WFB dwarf bodies:

These own bones too!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Khorne Flakes posted:

Posted this before but needs a bit of a tweek to fit the right amount of points in for a tournament.

I would get rid of that Gun Drone squad and spend the points on a Piranha squad instead. Detach the drones from the Piranhas and attach the commander to them, you get 6 drones and 3 burstcannons/fusions on platforms that are very mobile and can't be shot up by bolters, so you can distract your opponent from just throwing all his high-strength pie plates onto your Warlord and drones.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

UberJumper posted:

I took your advice, i removed one of the tanks, and added in some basic infantry. Both the veteran squads will use the vendetta's for transport. I also added in a fair bit more infantry at the cost of a tank, and added autocannons.

Any other suggestions/comments/criticism?
The only thing I'd say at this point is that your Platoon Command Squad isn't really doing anything. A PCS can be a very good unit to ride in a Vendetta, since they're basically expendable anyways, especially with 4x Flamers (which is pretty scary for a lot of people.) Failing that, give them a Mortar or two (depending on whether you think taking the second one is allowed) and have them sit back somewhere safe.

Arglebargle III posted:

Also, am I just reading the codex wrong or do Wave Serpents now make other Eldar tanks (Falcon cough) irrelevant? Who thought it was a good idea to give a dedicated transport the best light AT gun in the army list?
The Serpent's shield gun is pretty stupid-good, yeah, and all the more so because it can never be destroyed until the tank dies and has just a gigantic pile of special rules associated with it. The Falcon's main problem is that they... basically just gave it BS4 and called it a day, which isn't really enough with how much more fragile tanks are now.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Posted this before but needs a bit of a tweek to fit the right amount of points in for a tournament.
*deletia*
Two points over and I need to either drop the Jammer or Gauntlet from the Commander, or I was thinking of swapping the Stim Injectors on the Riptide for Velocity Tracker. I've had success with the Jammer, Gauntlet, and Injectors in all my games, so it's making it hard to fit everything within the points limit.
Easy solution? Drop two Gun Drones from the squad, give the Commander two Gun Drones. Bam, four points.

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 16, 2013

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

AbusePuppy posted:

Easy solution? Drop two Gun Drones from the squad, give the Commander two Gun Drones. Bam, four points.

Wow, nice catch there.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

AbusePuppy posted:

The Serpent's shield gun is pretty stupid-good, yeah, and all the more so because it can never be destroyed until the tank dies and has just a gigantic pile of special rules associated with it. The Falcon's main problem is that they... basically just gave it BS4 and called it a day, which isn't really enough with how much more fragile tanks are now.

A Falcon with a bright lance is a good Guide/Prescience target and is more durable than two War Walkers. 135 points, 150 with holofield and the transport capacity might be useful every now and then. Two (preferably three) War Walkers with bright lances are just better, though. They have Outflank via Scouts and Battle Focus and you can't juke their invulnerable save (easily).

What do you think of the Firestorm Redoubt? I hope they specify how many models can shoot out of the bunker because the default is two. I was thinking about putting two Broadsides in it for now. Tau allies are pretty useful to help with anti-air.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 16, 2013

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It seems basically perfect for the Support Warlord and 2 Broadsides. I'd just be worried about everything dying in the collapse but if they're blowing that thing up you probably already lost.

Schizotek posted:

I've only been a few times since I moved there myself in January because I'm a bad goon and haven't made time to play or finish painting my Iron Warriors. But the from what I gather most people have switched to Warmahordes as a reaction to GW prices. People still play 40k, just not to the same degree.

But there's two busy gaming stores and a GW store that used to be run by an awesome dude, that got replaced by a GW business drone. Do not go there. But that's from where I'm at. I'm only vaguely aware of Davie being somewhat near me, so I'm not sure how close the stores I go to are to you. I'll mark em on the map.

e: Looks like you're right next to Past Present Future, which is probably the best of the three. And is the one I normally visit.

Ah, I hadn't heard of PPF before, good to hear. Looking at their Facebook/Website, they don't really seem to mention Wargaming; it's mostly just Magic. What nights are their 40k days?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BuffaloChicken posted:

And here's an Eldar Webway Portal.

Where is that staircase piece from? It looks maddeningly familiar.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think he's said he uses a lot of playmobil stuff. might be from their pirate or fantasy collection.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Where is that staircase piece from? It looks maddeningly familiar.
It's from a box of army-man-style astronaut toys my brother had. We recently cleaned out the attic and split old toys into give away, junk, and Mini Fodder. I have a sweet little bunker coming up made from an old Micro Machines piece.

Also assembling my counts-as 'Crisis Battlesuit' allies for my Eldar. Quoting my old post!

BuffaloChicken posted:

...my email is p.h.dolan at gmail dot com. Also really need three of the following bits for some conversions:

Surely some of you have Wraithlords and aren't using those? Please email or PM me if so!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It took a solid week of painting, but I finished my Techno-Plague Marines! I really hope you guys like caution stripes, because there's a lot of caution stripes.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You're unlikely to find many of those, there's no reason not to take Flamers on a Lord. You might be able to work out a conversion with the extra heavy weapons bits, namely that three pronged one on the bottom.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1610129_99120104027_BitzEldarHeavyWeaponsMain_873x627.jpg

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

SRM posted:

I really hope you guys like caution stripes, because there's a lot of caution stripes.

Boy do I!

These look great man, I'm jealous. The osl looks really good on them

Looks like a bitch to paint though.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Well, ebay did it to me again. I just spent $450 a more Tyranids to augment my already massive force. It was a massive deal at over 50% off but why do I keep doing this?

At least I can now run a full 1500 point Tervigon army and I finally have plastic and winged Hive Tyrants. I think I have enough gaunts that my Endless Swarm is really Endless Swarm^2. I really need to paint everything and post pictures.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SRM posted:

It took a solid week of painting, but I finished my Techno-Plague Marines! I really hope you guys like caution stripes, because there's a lot of caution stripes.

Is that the plasma weapon glowing green over everything near it? If so, awesome.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hixson posted:

Boy do I!

These look great man, I'm jealous. The osl looks really good on them

Looks like a bitch to paint though.
Thank you! The caution stripes weren't too hard to paint, with the exception of the ones on the techmarine's legs, which just contour too much. The osl is also really, really easy; it's something I picked up when it was a theme for the Oath thread like two years ago.

NTRabbit posted:

Is that the plasma weapon glowing green over everything near it? If so, awesome.
It is! Just some simple osl. It's honestly just drybrushing; it takes like a minute and as long as you don't overdo it, it can look real good.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
Very nice use of the Iron Hands upgrade kit there. I also love that you make the barrels on the plasma weapons lenses instead of outright barrels, looks really cool.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Archer666 posted:

So I'm totally new to the actual playing of 40k and I decided I want to roll with an all-infantry Guard. Bought some paints, brushes and my first batch of Guardsmen and got to painting them just to see if I can pull off a not-lovely paintjob. Now that I'm ready with them, I'm looking at how I want my meat-shield army to function and something confuses me:

How can I make veteran squads? As far as I know I can't just buy a veteran kit. Can I just paint standard guard in a slightly different color and call them Veterans? Can I also buy the (sweet looking) Cadian Hostile Environment Troops, paint them in my army's color and call them Veterans?

Did someone say over equipped vet squads?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, somebody at my local store wants to do a horde mega fight. Considering I can throw 100 bodies on the field for less than 600 points as IG, this should be fun :unsmigghh:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Khadhul posted:

Very nice use of the Iron Hands upgrade kit there. I also love that you make the barrels on the plasma weapons lenses instead of outright barrels, looks really cool.
Thank you! I flip flop between barrels/lenses depending on the army I'm painting. I kind of like both so I never settle on just one for too long.

Icon Of Sin posted:

So, somebody at my local store wants to do a horde mega fight. Considering I can throw 100 bodies on the field for less than 600 points as IG, this should be fun :unsmigghh:
I played a 1000 point game a few months ago with my Valhallans. I had over 100 infantry models on the table, and my opponent pretty much gave up in the first turn since he knew there was no possible way he could kill that much stuff.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Phyresis posted:

A Falcon with a bright lance is a good Guide/Prescience target and is more durable than two War Walkers. 135 points, 150 with holofield and the transport capacity might be useful every now and then. Two (preferably three) War Walkers with bright lances are just better, though. They have Outflank via Scouts and Battle Focus and you can't juke their invulnerable save (easily).

What do you think of the Firestorm Redoubt? I hope they specify how many models can shoot out of the bunker because the default is two. I was thinking about putting two Broadsides in it for now. Tau allies are pretty useful to help with anti-air.
The Falcon isn't terrible by any means, but I think it compares unfavorably to something like the Wraithlord or other low-AP shooting platforms. Eldar can't make nearly as good of use of its transport capacity these days, and without taking advantage of that it really doesn't stand up to most things very well.

The Firestorm is alright, but not great in my opinion; I doubt that GW will FAQ its fire point to allow multiple models to shoot out, so you're probably stuck with just two. Broadsides inside firing out wouldn't be a terrible option at all, although to be honest I'd likely just stick with a Commander running a Quad Gun, boring as that may be- BS5 S7 Tank Hunter shots are pretty drat lethal to most airplanes.

I'm told through other sources that the rules enclosed in the boxes (or, at the very least, the ones in the Vengeance Batteries) specify that the guns shoot at the very end of the Shooting Phase, which is pretty weak. Auto-targeting is bad enough on its own, but having to essentially cross your fingers and pray that they work with absolutely no capacity to back them up with other stuff if they fail is very unfriendly. I want to like these new fortifications, I really do, but GW makes it rather hard.

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Well, ebay did it to me again. I just spent $450 a more Tyranids to augment my already massive force. It was a massive deal at over 50% off but why do I keep doing this?

At least I can now run a full 1500 point Tervigon army and I finally have plastic and winged Hive Tyrants. I think I have enough gaunts that my Endless Swarm is really Endless Swarm^2. I really need to paint everything and post pictures.
:( :respek: :( Hive-fist, brother.
I'm sitting on innumerable Lictors, Screamer-Killers, Tyranid Warriors, Hormagaunts, and oodles and oodles of other Tyranids, waiting for the day when a new codex makes them something resembling viable again. Not that I don't love Tervigons and all because ending the game with more models than you started with is awesome, but sometimes it'd be nice to try out some other parts of the codex. I could finagle Warriors and Harpies into sorta-maybe-working during 5E, but 6E is just too punishing for them.

SRM posted:

I played a 1000 point game a few months ago with my Valhallans. I had over 100 infantry models on the table, and my opponent pretty much gave up in the first turn since he knew there was no possible way he could kill that much stuff.
I had a friend bring 1K of all-foot Guard (with Banners and everything) to the same tourney I brought my all-little bug Nids. He castled up every single dude inside one big ruin and we basically played Starship Troopers with each other. It was pretty awesome. The high point (even if it sucked at the time) was an IG squad winning a combat against Genestealers thanks to their banner and managing to Sweep them.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

AbusePuppy posted:

The Firestorm is alright, but not great in my opinion; I doubt that GW will FAQ its fire point to allow multiple models to shoot out, so you're probably stuck with just two. Broadsides inside firing out wouldn't be a terrible option at all, although to be honest I'd likely just stick with a Commander running a Quad Gun, boring as that may be- BS5 S7 Tank Hunter shots are pretty drat lethal to most airplanes.

Ugh I just checked and the problem isn't the weapons, it's the automated fire rules in the BRB. They fire at the end of the Shooting phase, before Morale checks. Terrible. Gonna have to go with an ADL, which is fine I guess. I'll stick the Commander in the Broadside unit and just have some Fire Warriors or something behind the wall with a BS5 IC attached to man the gun.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
A game for real war hams http://www.baconhammer.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ksKjzBfWw

The joke goes on way too long, but it's still better than GWs official teaser videos.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AbusePuppy posted:

The Falcon isn't terrible by any means, but I think it compares unfavorably to something like the Wraithlord or other low-AP shooting platforms. Eldar can't make nearly as good of use of its transport capacity these days, and without taking advantage of that it really doesn't stand up to most things very well.

What has changed about sticking 5 man squads in Falcons?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AbusePuppy posted:

I had a friend bring 1K of all-foot Guard (with Banners and everything) to the same tourney I brought my all-little bug Nids. He castled up every single dude inside one big ruin and we basically played Starship Troopers with each other. It was pretty awesome. The high point (even if it sucked at the time) was an IG squad winning a combat against Genestealers thanks to their banner and managing to Sweep them.
That rules! Hordes of crap vs. hordes of crap is one of my favorite ways to play. I played 3 rounds in an 1850 tournament with foot Guard and was somehow able to finish all three games, even if they were tablings or very close to it in all three.

Arglebargle III posted:

What has changed about sticking 5 man squads in Falcons?
Wave Serpents got really, really good, and don't take up a Heavy Support slot.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Wave Serpents are the best thing ever and all of those guys should take them instead. Wave Serpents just break certain armies over their backs, it's actually pretty stupid. Consider how many long-range heavy weapons your typical power armoured army (and undead robit army) contains nowadays. I'm talking S7+. You need a shitton of it to crack one Wave Serpent with a holofield. It's AV12 on front and sides and can downgrade five out of six pens into glances, which they will ignore on a 4+ cover save because of the holofield. Barring rare units such as Hive Guard and uh... I'm drawing a blank... that Ignore Cover (other Wave Serpents, lol), they are just too durable to destroy enough of them before they (did I mention they are as shooty as support battle tanks) and the rest of the support elements (Warp Spiders are just... broken) have destroyed your entire army. This is between 1500 and 2000 points, ie, most non-beginner games. Serpents are even more broken at lower point games if you spam them, btw.

e: Shoutout to Vaul's Wrath Support Batteries. 90 points for three T7 shadow weavers that can buy a guy to cast Shrouded every turn is a steal. They support Serpents well.

FlutterShock
May 17, 2013

SRM posted:

They look like Iron Warriors - nothing wrong with it, just thought I would mention it :)

Iron Warriors with Brass, They look awesome though!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Blood Angels Predator: 100 points

13/11/10 Fast Tank

two S7 AP4 shots at 48"
six S5 AP4 shots at 36"

Wave Serpent: 120 points

12/12/10 Fast Skimmer Tank Transport (doesn't take Heavy Support slots)

four twin-linked S6 AP6 shots at 36"
D6+1 twin-linked S7 AP- Pinning, Ignores Cover shots at 60" or downgrades pens on front and side armor to glances on a D6 roll of 2+
optional three twin-linked S6 AP5 Bladestorm shots for ten points
5+ cover save, can upgrade to 4+ for fifteen points

Phil Kelly :smugissar:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FlutterShock posted:

They look like Iron Warriors - nothing wrong with it, just thought I would mention it :)

Iron Warriors with Brass, They look awesome though!

:confused: Uh, they are Iron Warriors.

They are also awesome as hell. I always like to see different/themed takes on the cult squads.

FlutterShock
May 17, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

:confused: Uh, they are Iron Warriors.

They are also awesome as hell. I always like to see different/themed takes on the cult squads.

Ah, by him saying "Techno-Plague Marines!" I was thinking he wanted to use the scheme for something different entirely :D. And hell yeah, I tried to do my own for Night Lords... but it didn't end up as well as I thought :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SRM posted:

Thank you! I flip flop between barrels/lenses depending on the army I'm painting. I kind of like both so I never settle on just one for too long.

This is what I plan to do. 3 infantry blobs of 30 each (definitely with a vox caster, maybe a :commissar: too), with an autocannon squad behind each of them as backup. The company commander will be there making sure they actually shoot worth a poo poo too. I'll post a list up here once I get it sorted out. I've got storm trooper squads floating around too, they'll probably join in as an overestimated threat ("I'm deep striking 4 melta guns and 2 plasma guns (along with the AP3 lasguns) between these 3 squads, and I get to re-roll the scatter :unsmigghh:" tends to command more attention than it should for 5 T3 models with a 4+). It helps that these storm troopers have actually won close combat against almost anyone that cared to swing at them, including the remnants of an ork nob squad at one point :stare:

e: 1k points. Drown them in guardsmen blood if you can't shoot them to death :black101:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 16, 2013

FlutterShock
May 17, 2013
Speaking of Guardsmen, Is it possible to collect a small'ish Guard army? (one that isnt 100 models+) - its something which has been bugging me for ages.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Jcam posted:

stuff for sale

I may be interested in the deff koptas, meganob, and grots--How much? :v: (No PM)

FlutterShock posted:

Speaking of Guardsmen, Is it possible to collect a small'ish Guard army? (one that isnt 100 models+) - its something which has been bugging me for ages.

If you really focus on vehicles, this is perfectly doable. A buddy with a guard army just soaked our side of the field with ordnance when I fought him and had very few actual mans (and those behind an Aegis line). Da boyz were sad with pie-plates everywhere.

FlutterShock
May 17, 2013

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

If you really focus on vehicles, this is perfectly doable. A buddy with a guard army just soaked our side of the field with ordnance when I fought him and had very few actual mans (and those behind an Aegis line). Da boyz were sad with pie-plates everywhere.

The inner ordnance addict in me, dreams of an entire block of Basilisks, though I get the feeling that wouldn't be as effective :D

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Sonic weapons! http://www.figurines-studio38.com/BOUTIQUE-EN-LIGNE.html

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FlutterShock posted:

It's doable. Focus on vet squads with special weapons and vehicle backup, as stated earlier. 2 vet squads can run from bare-bones (70 pts) to over 200 if you max them out on special weapons, doctrines, and give them a chimera to trudge around in. I've run a guard army that only had like 40 models on the table at 1k, using vets and storm troopers (who run up the cost stupidly fast; 85 pts for 5, and that's before adding more squad members or special weapons)

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Holy poo poo, those own. I guess I might have to start that Noise Marine force I always wanted...

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

FlutterShock posted:

Veterans in Chimeras aren't as hard to uproot from objectives, but they are significantly more points efficient at throwing out firepower. It is not only possible to have a small IG army, it is very viable, and I had a 100% winrate in my group with zero infantry platoons until the Blood Angels codex came out. A mix of one Platoon and one or two Vet squads is a very poweful baseline for 6th edition.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

The core of all of my IG lists is a big Infantry Platoon and two units of Veterans with three plasma guns in Chimeras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah... Serpents are good. They're like paper when assaulted though. Worth keeping in mind.

• Locked thread