Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No, it definitely wasn't anything to do with the Terminator - looking at footage of the game you mention I can see the resemblance, but it certainly isn't that. It was definitely an "original" IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

poptart_fairy posted:

No, it wasn't Terminator unfortunately. :(

In a pinch it mightn have been on the Genesis/Megadrive instead, but I can't for the life of me remember properly. It was definitely pre-PSX era though. Another detail I just remembered is that the game over screen was a really dramatic comic book style multi-panel thing that showed your character collapsing.

vvvv - No, it wasn't. Right type of game though!

If it was Master System, the game is more focused on punching but it sounds a lot like Cyborg Hunter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unesVXmYuI8

Edit sorry if it's a scrolling shooters like Bodycount, check out Dynamite Dukes as well as Alien Storm (technically a sidescroller but with periodic shooter levels).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Forgedbow posted:

That or Rogue Squadron, although I don't know if a 486 was up to scratch for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ywc79Iu5E

The N64 only had like 8MB of RAM w/ Expansion Pak, I'm sure an old Compaq would run it fine.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Eh, you needed at least 16MB to be able to run Windows 95 satisfactorily, never mind the processor speed in the absence of a 3D accelerator card. My money's still on Rebel Assault.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Whelp, nevermind. I was looking for Jade Cocoon :v:

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
Im trying to remember the name of a game for windows 95 or 98. I could have sworn it was called "Immortal Wombat" or something similar but any Google searches I could think of yield no results. It was a platformer where you played as the titular wombat (or maybe some other animal?). It was cartooney but dark, and I think you carried some kind of bo-staff or something. I'd be super surprised and grateful if anyone could tell me the name.

justwright
Oct 13, 2012
I received a Playstation 1 game from a friend of mine back in the day, it was an isometric action game. I think it was a Scifi setting, very dark and a lot of gore. Any ideas? Reminded me of Fallout, from having watched my dad play it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

justwright posted:

I received a Playstation 1 game from a friend of mine back in the day, it was an isometric action game. I think it was a Scifi setting, very dark and a lot of gore. Any ideas? Reminded me of Fallout, from having watched my dad play it.

Most likely Project: Overkill, but could also be Crusader: No Remorse or Loaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJi5Na7I4E#t=4m34s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6My_o9MSbE#t=9m5s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RW5nJi6KxI

justwright
Oct 13, 2012

Project Overkill it is. Thanks!

Reive
May 21, 2009

This is a really far out request, there was this really strange PC FPS by either a Japanese or Korean developer, it was commercially released though, it was survival horror.
It wasn't WhiteDay, it was way more surreal and occult looking (and with less graphically quality)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

There was a scrolling on-rails shooter for the old Master System console - you played a green skinned cyborg dude and would shoot more dudes with your gun. Its first level was set in a junkyard and you'd be fighting robots, ending with two giant ED-209 style bosses. The level after that had you fighting a giant mechanical head, etc etc. The music is stuck in my head but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called.

I think this might be Assault City.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Hey guys, I'm trying to find a game based on this song...
https://soundcloud.com/achtane/what-game-is-this-frommmmmm

I heard it in episode 88 of the Retronauts podcast, but there doesn't seem to be info anywhere on what music they use throughout the shows.
The episode was about old Data East games, though, so that's something to go on.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Achtane posted:

Hey guys, I'm trying to find a game based on this song...
https://soundcloud.com/achtane/what-game-is-this-frommmmmm

This is someone's remix of Bubble Man's music from Mega Man 2. Can't believe a podcast about old Data East games used any music other than these.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 6, 2013

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Neo Rasa posted:

This is someone's remix of Bubble Man's music from Mega Man 2. Can't believe a podcast about old Data East games used any music other than these.

Thanks so much!
Yeah, it didn't really occur to me that they'd use music outside of the episode's focus, but...

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
All I remember about this game is it had a riddle or koan that ended with something like "He stabbed the man's eyes out with red-hot knives". It was probably a PC game.

How's that for vague?!

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Trying to remember an early 90's CD-ROM PC game. Mars-themed, "Mars" somewhere in the title. I think it was first-person graphical adventure type.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Trying to remember an early 90's CD-ROM PC game. Mars-themed, "Mars" somewhere in the title. I think it was first-person graphical adventure type.

Cydonia - Mars: The First Manned Mission could be it.

CreepyGuy9000
Jul 9, 2013
I am trying to remember the name of a game for PlayStation one. The game was a turn based strategy, you could turn in to a dragon and go fishing also I think the main guy was called Ryu.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

One of the Breath of Fire games. III and IV came out on the PS.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

CreepyGuy9000 posted:

I am trying to remember the name of a game for PlayStation one. The game was a turn based strategy, you could turn in to a dragon and go fishing also I think the main guy was called Ryu.

RPG, not strategy, but yeah it was breath of fire

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Turns out it's this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_Memorandum

I dug around and found it just a few minutes ago.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
PC game from around 2000.

It was a tank battle royal game with power ups/special weapon pickups, deformable terrain, the tanks were very shiny (think one of them was "the shadow tank" and looked like the shadows from Babylon 5). I also think there was an announcer who would say things like "Player 1 got the nuke".

I also, for some reason, seem to remember that it was programmed by one guy who was pretty young and possibly died not long after it came out from cancer or something, but I might have that mixed up with something else.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
BattleTanx? Fits the weapon pickups and announcer. I haven't played it in, well a decade I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTanx:_Global_Assault

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mehuyael posted:

I think this might be Assault City.

The robot is even on the box, thank you. :neckbeard:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Bondematt posted:

BattleTanx? Fits the weapon pickups and announcer. I haven't played it in, well a decade I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTanx:_Global_Assault

No, this was definitively on PC and the levels were didn't have buildings that I remember. Your tank shells and explosions would deform the terrain, some times leaving very large pits.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

PC game from around 2000.

It was a tank battle royal game with power ups/special weapon pickups, deformable terrain, the tanks were very shiny (think one of them was "the shadow tank" and looked like the shadows from Babylon 5). I also think there was an announcer who would say things like "Player 1 got the nuke".

I also, for some reason, seem to remember that it was programmed by one guy who was pretty young and possibly died not long after it came out from cancer or something, but I might have that mixed up with something else.
Found this one, it's called Tread Marks. One of the screenshots shows the shiny B5 Shadow-looking tank, and the lead programmer Seumas McNally died a couple of months after the game came out.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pablo Gigante posted:

Found this one, it's called Tread Marks. One of the screenshots shows the shiny B5 Shadow-looking tank, and the lead programmer Seamus McNally died a couple of months after the game came out.

Thats it! Thank you very much.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm trying to remember two Sega Saturn games: one I barely remember, but it wasn't really a game per se, it was more like an interactable story or something? The animation style kind of reminded me of Freakazoid or Animaniacs or something but I'm pretty sure you were a pizza guy but you were definitely in some sort of haunted castle. Pretty early on there's a big atrium with a chandelier that I'm almost positive falls down.

The second one was a FPS, you played a robot on a space ship and there was a bunch of weapon pickups. Everything was really dark and the draw distance was pretty poo poo.

I know this isn't a lot to work with. :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm trying to remember two Sega Saturn games: one I barely remember, but it wasn't really a game per se, it was more like an interactable story or something? The animation style kind of reminded me of Freakazoid or Animaniacs or something but I'm pretty sure you were a pizza guy but you were definitely in some sort of haunted castle. Pretty early on there's a big atrium with a chandelier that I'm almost positive falls down.
Brain Dead 13?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
PC futuristic racing game around 2000 I'm guessing, needed a 3D card. It had long tracks with no edges, and your cars were fast and had slightly slide-y, which made the learning curve kind of steep. The first track was a highway at night kind of level, and I usually picked a green or green/white car probably because it was the easiest to manage. I think it may have been a weapon-free game also. I keep thinking it was called MegaRace, but I don't think that's right(that's the older racing game).

Also, the still unsolved one for me is a typing game from 1990-1991 for an Apple something or other(the one with Deluxe Paint II) where after finishing a lesson, you would do a typing test, after which a troll or gnome would lower a bridge to let you pass.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

This was it, thank you. I'm amazed anyone else knows what this is.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

duckfarts posted:

PC futuristic racing game around 2000 I'm guessing, needed a 3D card. It had long tracks with no edges, and your cars were fast and had slightly slide-y, which made the learning curve kind of steep. The first track was a highway at night kind of level, and I usually picked a green or green/white car probably because it was the easiest to manage. I think it may have been a weapon-free game also. I keep thinking it was called MegaRace, but I don't think that's right(that's the older racing game).

This is probably silly, but it's not one of the Wipeout games? They were out for PC as well as the playstation.

That aside, there's a bunch of racing games in the hover/slide-y style that all came out around 2000 (largely thanks to Wipeout, really). Looking through Mobygames, I can see Freeride Thrash, Killer Loop and Megarace 3, the latter which I didn't even know existed.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The second one was a FPS, you played a robot on a space ship and there was a bunch of weapon pickups. Everything was really dark and the draw distance was pretty poo poo.

I know this isn't a lot to work with. :(

This is probably Robotica.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Keru posted:

This is probably silly, but it's not one of the Wipeout games? They were out for PC as well as the playstation.

That aside, there's a bunch of racing games in the hover/slide-y style that all came out around 2000 (largely thanks to Wipeout, really). Looking through Mobygames, I can see Freeride Thrash, Killer Loop and Megarace 3, the latter which I didn't even know existed.

Nah, not wipeout; it was PC only and the slide-y bit was more how it played vs how it was advertised. All the cars were still cars, what with wheels and all.

E: found it on MobyGames(didn't know you could search it like you mentioned:stare:); 1998 - Dethkarz, and it did have weapons. It was really difficult, but rewarding once you got the hang of it.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 16, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

JordanKai posted:

This is probably Robotica.

This was it, yeah. Holy hell I owned so many random Saturn games.

Does anyone remember Pandemonium? Mr. Bones? Croc? I was so close to having Lunar 2 but instead...these. :smith:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

This was it, yeah. Holy hell I owned so many random Saturn games.

Does anyone remember Pandemonium? Mr. Bones? Croc? I was so close to having Lunar 2 but instead...these. :smith:

Are you hating on Mr. Bones? Because if so I'm going to have to ask you to step outside. :colbert:

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
It was a very strange rpg I saw videos on youtube of, I think it was an independent JRPG type game? Looked like it was in a dream but with creepy text and there would be this white face that would show up at different parts. I can't even remember if it was an RPG or not, I remember there was a lot of speculation about it though.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

duckfarts posted:

Nah, not wipeout; it was PC only and the slide-y bit was more how it played vs how it was advertised. All the cars were still cars, what with wheels and all.

E: found it on MobyGames(didn't know you could search it like you mentioned:stare:); 1998 - Dethkarz, and it did have weapons. It was really difficult, but rewarding once you got the hang of it.

Haha, well poo poo, I even looked at Dethkarz but thought "naah, too early?" and called it a day.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ravenicus posted:

It was a very strange rpg I saw videos on youtube of, I think it was an independent JRPG type game? Looked like it was in a dream but with creepy text and there would be this white face that would show up at different parts. I can't even remember if it was an RPG or not, I remember there was a lot of speculation about it though.

Is it imscared? it's not a JRPG at all but the dream+creepy text+white face thing.

JordanKai posted:

Are you hating on Mr. Bones? Because if so I'm going to have to ask you to step outside. :colbert:

No, I remember Mr. Bones fondly. My Sega Saturn was my first encounter with gaming (I got it for Christmas one year, which is kinda funny considering how it launched) and I was only 8 so I was just...very bad at these things. Me and my sister got stuck in Gex for what seemed like hours because we could not figure out how to climb walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I have very little to go on for the game that has been bugging me forever.

It was available in the arcade around 86-88 and I used to play it at the youth center in Andersen Airforce base (Guam).

What little I can remember is the main character had techno'ish armor and could lose the armor. And the game moved left to right, but when you got to the boss the character came in on the right and the boss was on the left.

Now the details I can actually remember are mostly of the boss, it was a weird manticore type (statue maybe) thing with multiple heads. If I could just see a screen shot or video of the game I'd recognize it pretty fast. But I don't think I ever actually knew the name.

I have very little hope that someone remembers this, but it's worth a shot.