Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I was not building one in another city (it would let me build a caravan) and that route was not already active (you can see it wasn't active on that screen). I cannot figure out why the game wouldn't let me build that cargo ship. It was just bugged.

You already have a land route to that city, I don't think you an do 2 trade routes to a city even if they are split land/sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sauer kraut posted:

You can upgrade the unique scouts to composite bowmen at ancient ruins, who keep the scout skills. Absolutely insane unit.
Of course only really worth it if it has Scouting III and some Survivalism.

Eh, I wouldn't really bother going past Scouting II. When the unit upgrades it still keeps its "level" so that makes it that much harder to level up further and get logistics, + range, etc. With Scouting 1 it can spot for itself even with the range upgrade; with scouting II it can spot against artillery.

The ideal hut progression is probably culture, citizens, faith (for pantheon). Culture huts are really valuable right in the first few turns but lose value after that. It's a toss-up between extra tech and new citizens but citizens are probably better long-term value.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 16, 2013

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Wait till it gets March and Logistics. :unsmigghh:

Has anyone met a militaristic city state that gives Pathfinders? It might be hard to ally early enough, but it would be worth it.

Is it possible to tell which unit a city state will gift you before they actually do it once?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Platystemon posted:

Wait till it gets March and Logistics. :unsmigghh:

Has anyone met a militaristic city state that gives Pathfinders? It might be hard to ally early enough, but it would be worth it.

There's just no way. In my experience the vast majority of ruins get eaten up in the first 30 turns or so, the only exceptions being really far-flung ones on tiny islands and such, and that's really the window where the pathfinder's ability makes the most difference anyway. There's almost no way to ally with a city-state that early, unless maybe you're Spain and you discover el Dorado or something.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

wukkar posted:

Is it possible to tell which unit a city state will gift you before they actually do it once?

Hover your mouse over Type: Militaristic on their diplomacy screen and it will say something like "This city state will gift an Ally a unique Carolean unit if they have researched Rifling."

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Finished my first science victory in BNW (as Poland, for the sweet achievement glory). While it was a lot of fun, some things have been bugging me about this new expansion. It was one of the easiest games of Civ V I've played, and on the difficulty that used to be my limit (Emperor).

I think they need to do something about making the AI slightly more willing to go to war, especially earlier. I appreciate that they wanted to make them act more realistically and more in their own self interest, but it seems like the AIs that aren't super aggressive are super passive. Maybe its due to trade routes, or the lack of early gold sources, but it seems much easier now to neglect your military in the beginning of the game. I was stuck on an island with the Iroquois and the Mayans, and for much of the beginning half of the game I was dead last in military while they were #1 and #2. The Mayans even coveted my land and wanted my wonders, but the worst they did was denounce me ten turns before my space ship launched. I think there were only two wars actually fought in the whole game.

I think trade route gold also needs some balancing. I wasn't playing that heavy with the external trade routes (had a bunch of internal ones to grow my pop), and I was still swimming in money by the Renaissance. Partly because I had only a few cities, and a small army (so my maintenance costs were low), but I had enough to be buying allies left and right and buying whole rounds of buildings (instant factories, instant research labs, instant hospitals, and so on). I like the early game scarcity, but its too easy for gold to be abundant, especially for tall empires.

Also, it shouldn't be possible to declare a World Ideology before there are at least a few civs with Ideologies present. As it is, if you are the first to get an Ideology, you can propose it with little diplomatic repercussions. I think that the prerequisite for that proposal should be that at least one other Civ has to have a different ideology.

Science victory definitely feels to be the realm of the tall empire now rather than the wide. I agree with the existence of the science penalty, but the 5% seems to add up a little fast for the large costs later on. My 4 city Polish empire was far faster at teching up than my last games 7 city Shoshone empire. Since a huge chunk of your science usually comes from one city with academies, National College, etc, tall empires just do better. Maybe the penalty should be lowered to 2-3% or so.

Well, on to Immortal for the first time ever...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thehumandignity posted:

There's just no way. In my experience the vast majority of ruins get eaten up in the first 30 turns or so, the only exceptions being really far-flung ones on tiny islands and such, and that's really the window where the pathfinder's ability makes the most difference anyway. There's almost no way to ally with a city-state that early, unless maybe you're Spain and you discover el Dorado or something.

It all depends on your map. I play most of my games on "huge earth" maps at marathon speed, and for some reason the AI is really bad at grabbing huts in Indonesia/ Australia or far away from their base cities. Pre-BNW it was a viable strategy to just embark a warrior or scout across the map and scoop up huts. In BNW this is both more and less viable; you have to do a reconnaissance-in-force with a few units because the barbarian spawn rate is waaay up, but most civs seem less aggressive and don't spread out over as much territory. The game I'm in now is at around turn ~350, basically early medieval era, and there are still a number of huts on the map (I just have a lot of barbarians to slaughter to get to them).

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Libertytakers: How do you get more than 4 cities by the time the A.I. starts filling stuff up? I can never seem to manage that even ignoring the diplomacy and happiness costs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The ideal hut progression is probably culture, citizens, faith (for pantheon). Culture huts are really valuable right in the first few turns but lose value after that. It's a toss-up between extra tech and new citizens but citizens are probably better long-term value.

Which is why you should take Culture second or third. If you take it first it will be on the list when you find your fourth ruin, which may come too late to be much use. I would go Citizens, tech/culture depending on whether I've had my first tech from research, then the other of the two.

Also I think you need to research Pottery before faith becomes an option. I know I haven't had it as an option from my first hut or two.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
After a bunch of extremely abortive culture games, I decided to say gently caress it entirely and play Korea the totally uncultured nation of super geniuses. I started near germany and siam, and germany of course was settling extremely agressively. So I built a few units and took Berlin, and let him sit out the rest of the game pouting about how I stole his cookies. It was total peace after that, with Siam eventually willing to forget about my war with germany from 3000 years ago. What's funny is, I built 6 or 7 units for my war with germany, then never built another unit myself. But by the late game, I had the biggest military by a large margin just because I befriended several military CSs early on and never really lost them. My army included a 6 of china's unique crossbow units (hello double attacking machine guns), and winged hussars.

Also by late game I had a tech advantage of 23 over the closest competitor. Yet somehow, even the 11 beakers or whatever people would get for trading with me was not enough to entice more than 1 or 2 trade routes, so I'm still at a loss for how that's supposed to work. Having giant death robots when your neighbor has riflemen is pretty amusing. Once I blasted off into space, I went back for a war with Siam just to have fun crushing him.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I played a game as Korea on the earth map starting in North Africa by myself surrounded by 4 city states. I went on to only have one city till around 100 AD, but I had 10+ wonders in my capital with a pop of over 50 by the end of the game. The Zulu's went on to talk poo poo and I exterminated them with the 6 foreign legion my wonder gave me. I then stole all the art and won by culture even though I had the votes to win diplomacy.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Finally upgraded my Berber Cavalry all the way up to giant death robots for fun, then declared war on everyone and waited in my desert, randomly nuking their landing spots. :black101:

Most fun ever!

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So I'm trying to follow this Religion/ICS strategy and it seems pretty good.

Started a fresh game and found this start:

:getin:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Started a fresh game and found this start:

How do you turn on the resource markers like that? And your gonna get paid there.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

BadLlama posted:

How do you turn on the resource markers like that? And your gonna get paid there.

The little paper scroll on the bottom-left side of the minimap.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
There seems to be many more clusters of luxury resources in BNW compared to earlier versions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Platystemon posted:

The victory condition changed in Brave New World. You have to own all the capitals personally.

If you ask me it’s a dumb change because if you take the conquering civ’s capital, clearly you could have taken their puppet as well. You’re the Condorcet winner, as it were.

The idea is that it prevents the scenario of goading two civs on another continent to take out each other's capitols and then crushing your neighbor for an easy victory.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

computer parts posted:

The idea is that it prevents the scenario of goading two civs on another continent to take out each other's capitols and then crushing your neighbor for an easy victory.

Or, most excitingly, never going to war but still winning by Domination because nobody's been able to hold onto their capital. I wonder how often, if ever, that actually happened?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Brannock posted:

There seems to be many more clusters of luxury resources in BNW compared to earlier versions.

That's true, almost all my starting location had 3 of the same resource clumped up.
Strategic balance doesn't seem to do much to spread the love around more evenly.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Brannock posted:

If you turn on legendary start you can get clusters of up to 6 of the same resource in your city! Very fun when you get gold.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Just finished a wide cultural game as the Huns. For a while it looked like the AI was a little smarter about victory conditions: the Shoshone were my main cultural obstacle and when I tried to get open borders from Pocatello he asked for 300 GPT and all my resources. But then I got within 20 turns and sent two musicians over to finish things off, figuring that the cost would be irrelevant if I won next turn, and this time he agreed to exchange Open Borders with no additional payment :iiam: I've never even see the BNW AI accept a payment-free open borders exchange without a DoF before.

I stayed almost entirely peaceful after :killdozer:ing Spain on turn 15 so I didn't get to see much AI warfare firsthand, but the AI definitely seems more tactically capable if AI vs. AI warfare is anything to go by. Virtually every single AI DoW against another AI led to cities changing hands, in contrast to the perpetual stalemates that the pre-BNW AI was prone to. I suspect part of this is that the AI is better about not pulling the trigger before it's ready, though, because the game stayed pretty peaceful until lategame.

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?
How is the Hybrid Multiplayer Mode? Seems to good to be true.

quote:

We’ve made some great strides in Multiplayer. We’ve introduced a couple new modes, like Sequential, and Hybrid modes. Sequential is where all players take their turns in order. Hybrid allows the game to progress like you’re used to, with everyone taking their turns at the same time. Although, when at war the game switches to sequential for just the players involved in the war, so moves are made fairly. Once the conflict has ended, it automatically switches back to the normal “at the same time” mode.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Any of you guys willing to play a Terra map to see if the AI is less terrified of colonizing the new world? I'd hate to start up a marathon game only to realize they still avoid it entirely 400 turns later.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Polish bonus of a free social policy seems pretty sweet to me. That's like 5 free social policy over the course of a game. Might have to try them out for my next game.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Ya'll are slacking. The last two times someone has asked about resource bubbles, noone has posted Dong Island.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

wukkar posted:

Ya'll are slacking. The last two times someone has asked about resource bubbles, noone has posted Dong Island.

...he said, not posting Dong Island :colbert:

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

iFriend posted:

How is the Hybrid Multiplayer Mode? Seems to good to be true.

It's actually really great for playing with a small group of people. It could be improved somewhat if it separated out the unimportant portions of people's turns from the troop movements, it's painfully slow to wait for someone to click through all of their cities and give orders.

Also, the turn war is declared remains simultaneous. That can cause some bs if people have units spaced really close together, or if nukes are on the table.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Muscle Tracer posted:

...he said, not posting Dong Island :colbert:

We need a new Dong Island, though, because of the new graphics patch. The old just isn't dongy enough any more.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Now the king told the boogie men
You have to let that raga drop
The oil down the desert way
Has been shakin' to the top
The sheik he drove his Cadillac
He went a' cruisin' down the ville

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:allears: Dong Island

Hey if you capture a Great Work and you don't have any slots for it, or if you burn a city that has a great work in it, do you lose the great work?

Yes you do lose the Great Work

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 16, 2013

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What do you guy's think would be a good difficulty on marathon if King/Emperor is good fights on standard speed?
Edit: Max mapsize.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

For people waiting on a reduction to get Brave New World, GMG has a voucher for 30% off:
GMG30-LY2G6-UKDYY
Link to games list for the voucher.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tried my first ICS game as Theodora and it's amazing. You pretty much have to get good religious picks though so it's not so viable against AI on high difficulties.

Worked wonders in multiplayer though. Get war declared on me by a neighbor because my empire didn't have anything but a couple of comp bowmen protecting it. He forgot to look at the religion screen though because my massive faith income meant that I drowned him in a sea of holy warriors at about the rate of one unit purchased with faith per 2 turns, on top of 8 cities worth of poo poo being produced.

Upgrades? Preserving units? Just throw a wall of bodies at them until you win! (for god)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's kind of silly how desert and jungle tiles can end up being some of the best in the game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gabriel Pope posted:

Just finished a wide cultural game as the Huns. For a while it looked like the AI was a little smarter about victory conditions: the Shoshone were my main cultural obstacle and when I tried to get open borders from Pocatello he asked for 300 GPT and all my resources. But then I got within 20 turns and sent two musicians over to finish things off, figuring that the cost would be irrelevant if I won next turn, and this time he agreed to exchange Open Borders with no additional payment :iiam: I've never even see the BNW AI accept a payment-free open borders exchange without a DoF before.

I stayed almost entirely peaceful after :killdozer:ing Spain on turn 15 so I didn't get to see much AI warfare firsthand, but the AI definitely seems more tactically capable if AI vs. AI warfare is anything to go by. Virtually every single AI DoW against another AI led to cities changing hands, in contrast to the perpetual stalemates that the pre-BNW AI was prone to. I suspect part of this is that the AI is better about not pulling the trigger before it's ready, though, because the game stayed pretty peaceful until lategame.

They seem to do okay against each other, but they still kind if suck at tactics against people. I've had lots of occasions where I was able to take AI cities with really small forces just because the AI made terrible choices about who to attack; they would keep bombarding my melee units that were doing nothing but fortifying while ignoring the siege weapons that were tearing the city apart. Their general invasion strategy seems to be "huge glob of units" too, which doesn't work nearly as well as it did in past civ games.

Can musicians do concert tours if you're at war with a civilization? Since they can't enter with open borders it seems like that would be your only option if an AI just staunchly refuses to let them in. Granted declaring war just to hold the greatest concert of all time is a pretty awesome concept.

*edit* also something else I've been wondering; how does liberating a civ's capital work with the new diplomatic victory? Do you still get their civ votes in the assembly?

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 16, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They seem to do okay against each other, but they still kind if suck at tactics against people. I've had lots of occasions where I was able to take AI cities with really small forces just because the AI made terrible choices about who to attack; they would keep bombarding my melee units that were doing nothing but fortifying while ignoring the siege weapons that were tearing the city apart. Their general invasion strategy seems to be "huge glob of units" too, which doesn't work nearly as well as it did in past civ games.

Can musicians do concert tours if you're at war with a civilization? Since they can't enter with open borders it seems like that would be your only option if an AI just staunchly refuses to let them in. Granted declaring war just to hold the greatest concert of all time is a pretty awesome concept.

*edit* also something else I've been wondering; how does liberating a civ's capital work with the new diplomatic victory? Do you still get their civ votes in the assembly?

They seem to default to melee->wounded ranged->ranged most of the time. They really like shooting ships when they can as well. If it would just prioritize what can actually hurt the city the most (shoot the loving catapults) it would do a lot better.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Why did my Impi take 24 damage when attacking a Pathfinder with less than 10hp left? Shouldn't the preemptive strike destroyed him before taking any melee damage?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

eXXon posted:

It's kind of silly how desert and jungle tiles can end up being some of the best in the game.

Well, I imagine most of these ~amazing~ Morocco Petra cities are played on sandstorm with a bunch of restarts, which is... fine... I guess. But it's kinda... well... not cheating per se, but a bit iffy. Like picking Polynesia with archipelago or whatever.

Fair play is random civ, random map style, no restarts. Occasionally hand picking your civ is okay as long as you don't do it too often. :colbert:

(Seriously: Play however you want. :shobon: )

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Well, I imagine most of these ~amazing~ Morocco Petra cities are played on sandstorm with a bunch of restarts, which is... fine... I guess. But it's kinda... well... not cheating per se, but a bit iffy. Like picking Polynesia with archipelago or whatever.

Fair play is random civ, random map style, no restarts. Occasionally hand picking your civ is okay as long as you don't do it too often. :colbert:

I would do random but it always gives me boring peaceful civs :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

The only setting changed on that Moroccan start for the above pic was setting it to legendary start, I just got really lucky.

Though I do admit to giving myself 3 rerolls if I don't like a map. :ohdear:

• Locked thread