Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

catlord posted:

That did it, thanks. Guess I had an older setup file that had that as a bug? All updated now, at least. Certainly going to make a lot of levels much easier.

Edit: Welp, Cryptic Passage had its skies all messed up, giving me a hall of mirrors effect. Going to go ahead ad reinstall the whole thing.

Edit 2: Haha, trying to get it all back the way it was is a loving pain in the rear end. GOG completely changed the file path and .conf files between the installer I originally used and the latest. :suicide:

Edit 3: I go through everything, get all my mods set up and everything, load it up, and I can't see the firepods again. gently caress me. So I take out all the BPF stuff, because if anything is going to gently caress things up, it's that. Still can't see them. But the Cryptic Passage skies are ok. Argh.

Yeah, this is why I didn't make installers or new textures for Death Wish. Most people (including some of the mod creators) recommend backing up your entire Blood folder before installing new textures. No one keeps track of what Mapedit tiles other mods are replacing so they all run the risk of overlap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

catlord posted:

That did it, thanks. Guess I had an older setup file that had that as a bug? All updated now, at least. Certainly going to make a lot of levels much easier.

Edit: Welp, Cryptic Passage had its skies all messed up, giving me a hall of mirrors effect. Going to go ahead ad reinstall the whole thing.

Edit 2: Haha, trying to get it all back the way it was is a loving pain in the rear end. GOG completely changed the file path and .conf files between the installer I originally used and the latest. :suicide:

Edit 3: I go through everything, get all my mods set up and everything, load it up, and I can't see the firepods again. gently caress me. So I take out all the BPF stuff, because if anything is going to gently caress things up, it's that. Still can't see them. But the Cryptic Passage skies are ok. Argh.

If it's any consolation this has been a problem with Blood and its expansions for over a decade now. They can be...problematic and sometimes interacting with the new enemies they added crashes the game completely at random.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FuriousGrey posted:

Yeah, this is why I didn't make installers or new textures for Death Wish. Most people (including some of the mod creators) recommend backing up your entire Blood folder before installing new textures. No one keeps track of what Mapedit tiles other mods are replacing so they all run the risk of overlap.

You have no idea how much I appreciate that. I hope we get a source port soon, hopefully with one it'll be possible to install mods without loving up the entire install.

Edit: And after yet another reinstall, it's not starting. :suicide:

catlord fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 15, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
System Shock 2 is 75% off ($2.49) on Steam today. Does anyone know if you can install the hi-res texture mods on the Steam version, or should I hold off, wait for GOG to have it at that price and get it from them?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Aren't Steam versions of older games typically just wrappers around the original game executables? I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Obeast posted:

System Shock 2 is 75% off ($2.49) on Steam today. Does anyone know if you can install the hi-res texture mods on the Steam version, or should I hold off, wait for GOG to have it at that price and get it from them?

I believe that's a similar newly patched version as the GOG release. Old mods probably won't work without tweaking, but new ones should.

daft punk railroad posted:

Aren't Steam versions of older games typically just wrappers around the original game executables? I don't see why it wouldn't work.

System Shock 2 was originally released for Windows 98 - the Steam games with wrappers are usually DOS games with DOSbox, so I doubt it has one.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Sven Co-op is getting an official Steam release. Maybe we'll start using my server!

Reive
May 21, 2009

Obeast posted:

It works, grab it while it's hot.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Holy crap, that's awesome news.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

And it'll be free for everyone, no purchase of anything required! That's pretty drat cool of Valve, and great news for the Sven crew!

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
They totally should have done it as an April Fool's joke, since the Sven team are prone to making jokes about Steam buying them out or whatever around that lame-rear end day. :colbert:

Either way, I'm excited. That mod was most of my childhood.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's awesome. I spent many hours playing Sven Co-op on the good old HL days. The mod had tons of coop maps itself and people made crazy poo poo for it and while the mod crashed a lot, it was really fun to make a listen server and play with 250+ ping with your friends. I'm totally installing it and playing with goons as soon as they release it, bonus points if we get on mumble/TS.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Awesome news!

In less awesome news: This is why the ROTT 2013 team's UE3 Duke3D remake was shut down.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That kinda pisses me off because Gearbox supposedly supported it at first. I was wondering what had happened to it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah I feel the same considering how good ROTT 2013 looks. Interceptor guys do know how to make an old school fps and that's the last chance on redeeming Duke for the new generations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Cool, so we're missing out on a legitimate and undoubtedly superior Duke re-imagining because the idiots at Gearbox felt they'd only sell 5 copies of DNF instead of 8.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Cool, so we're missing out on a legitimate and undoubtedly superior Duke re-imagining because the idiots at Gearbox felt they'd only sell 5 copies of DNF instead of 8.

And that's why they stopped backing it.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

CowboyAndy posted:

And that's why they stopped backing it.

What confuses me about this is why they wouldn't recognize that and then bring the team on board and pay them salaries and release the game commercially? That makes way more sense than pretending it never happened and releasing a terrible game that sold badly, and they knew was terrible and would sell badly.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Didn't Forever sell pretty well? I thought I'd heard it made back it's budget for somebody (possibly Gearbox and absolutely nobody else, though). I must confess, I actually liked Forever, or at least most of it. Wasn't amazing though, and had some pretty massive tonal shifts, in the same scene some times, especially in the early game.

Edit: I would absolutely buy Reloaded if Gearbox let Interceptor finish it.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

catlord posted:

Didn't Forever sell pretty well? I thought I'd heard it made back it's budget for somebody (possibly Gearbox and absolutely nobody else, though). I must confess, I actually liked Forever, or at least most of it. Wasn't amazing though, and had some pretty massive tonal shifts, in the same scene some times, especially in the early game.

Edit: I would absolutely buy Reloaded if Gearbox let Interceptor finish it.

I'm sure it sold okay out the gate as all the "WHOA DUKE FOREVER" people grabbed it, but it was going for like $5 during a steam sale less than 3 months after release. Maybe it was four, thinking back. Either way, I can't imagine that sings of commercial success.

edit: okay some cursory checking (read: wikipedia) says that as of July 2011 Take 2 thought it sold half it's expected copies, but then said something nebulous about it still being profitable so the answer is: who knows!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Platypus Farm posted:

edit: okay some cursory checking (read: wikipedia) says that as of July 2011 Take 2 thought it sold half it's expected copies, but then said something nebulous about it still being profitable so the answer is: who knows!

Take-Two did come out and say it sold well enough to be profitable, but maybe they meant it sold enough that it was worth it to dump it onto Gearbox instead of leaving it unreleased. I find it hard to believe it made back 15 years of development costs, but 3D Realms was a relatively small team so maybe it did.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

At the risk of sounding dumb, what does an official release for a mod like Sven mean? I've downloaded a few pre-Steam mods for Half life 1 and so far they've seemed to work great.

If its just for more exposure, that's still awesome. I've got a long standing date to play Half Life Decay with an old friend. We might just have to get to it.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

That's actually really heartbreaking. Still, at least the team got a happy ending--Rise of the Triad's shaping up to be awesome.

It does leave Duke's future in a very bleak outlook, though. He was already on pretty shaky ground with the whole fiasco surrounding Forever's development, and Forever absolutely bombing practically yanked it out from under him.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

At the risk of sounding dumb, what does an official release for a mod like Sven mean? I've downloaded a few pre-Steam mods for Half life 1 and so far they've seemed to work great.

If its just for more exposure, that's still awesome. I've got a long standing date to play Half Life Decay with an old friend. We might just have to get to it.
Basically just this, and ease of use. There are a whole lot of people out there scared by modding but who are willing to check out a standalone version of a mod.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gently caress. Gearbox.

I'd buy it at full retail price, and I wouldn't regret it deeply, unlike DNF.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress. Gearbox.

Or Borderlands 2. :colbert:

I'm really loving annoyed the devs who did the rather great HL1 expansion pack are now... that. Ugh.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress. Gearbox.

It seems more and more that Gearbox are just squatting on the rights for Duke. Now would be a perfect time to announce a new Duke game that sticks to DN3D's formula. Sure, 3DR is a shell of what it used to be and was never run all that well, but at least they're playing it smart and letting people use their IPs to create new games that are close to the original games, but updated. Gearbox seems more interested in letting a trend blow by them while they scam publishers and keep trying to force 2004-era MMO gameplay tropes into Borderlands. :smith:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

closeted republican posted:

It seems more and more that Gearbox are just squatting on the rights for Duke. Now would be a perfect time to announce a new Duke game that sticks to DN3D's formula. Sure, 3DR is a shell of what it used to be and was never run all that well, but at least they're playing it smart and letting people use their IPs to create new games that are close to the original games, but updated. Gearbox seems more interested in letting a trend blow by them while they scam publishers and keep trying to force 2004-era MMO gameplay tropes into Borderlands. :smith:

Well, to be fair, I think 3DR is only doing that because they have no money, have like, two people working there, and couldn't make the games themselves. It is cool as Hell that they are doing it though. Why is the old-school shooter thing happening right now? Is it just coincidence that they're all happening now? Did DNF finally coming out make people look back and decide to try doing that? Gearbox did say they wanted to make more Duke games, but I would imagine they wanted to have a breather between doing whatever they did with Forever and starting on a new one, though how much that's going to bite them is probably not going to be known for a while, at least until these new games start coming out.

Maybe if RotT does well, Gearbox will see about getting Interceptor to make a new Duke? I'd honestly prefer a new one to a remake, but I'd be good either way.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

Well, to be fair, I think 3DR is only doing that because they have no money, have like, two people working there, and couldn't make the games themselves. It is cool as Hell that they are doing it though. Why is the old-school shooter thing happening right now? Is it just coincidence that they're all happening now? Did DNF finally coming out make people look back and decide to try doing that? Gearbox did say they wanted to make more Duke games, but I would imagine they wanted to have a breather between doing whatever they did with Forever and starting on a new one, though how much that's going to bite them is probably not going to be known for a while, at least until these new games start coming out.

Maybe if RotT does well, Gearbox will see about getting Interceptor to make a new Duke? I'd honestly prefer a new one to a remake, but I'd be good either way.

I can't find it at the moment, but I read somewhere that 3DR didn't want to continue developing games even if they did release DNF. Apparently, George and Scott wanted to run 3DR more like they did Apogee; find small-time, upcoming games and help get them published. Licensing their old IPs out seems like something right up their alley.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JackMackerel posted:

Or Borderlands 2. :colbert:

I'm really loving annoyed the devs who did the rather great HL1 expansion pack are now... that. Ugh.

Yeeeeah, BL2 and DNF aren't on the same page, or in the same book, or even the same library. You might not like BL2--and that's totally up to you--but there's nothing on this Earth that feels as shameful as having DNF permanently attached to your Steam library. BL2 is actually a decent game. DNF is like some sort of monster wearing the skin of somebody you went to school with and, also, that monster makes really mean-spirited jokes. And has pictures of topless models in his room, except the part where the head should be is cut off. So they're just literally pictures of torsos.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

closeted republican posted:

I can't find it at the moment, but I read somewhere that 3DR didn't want to continue developing games even if they did release DNF. Apparently, George and Scott wanted to run 3DR more like they did Apogee; find small-time, upcoming games and help get them published. Licensing their old IPs out seems like something right up their alley.

Huh, did not know that. Actually, thinking about it, I don't think I realised that about Apogee, honestly. But it does make sense, at least from a business sense. I can't imagine that would lose them more money than taking 14 years to develop every game they make.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Basically just this, and ease of use. There are a whole lot of people out there scared by modding but who are willing to check out a standalone version of a mod.

We also have full access to the Half-Life source code, so we can work on increasing engine limits, upgrading the rendering pipeline and so on. Kind of like what ZDoom, Darkplaces etc do, except in our case we can not release the source to our modifications.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's stupid.

If I were Mr Gearbox Executive Suit, I'd have told Interceptor "you finish that game, and we'll release it as a free expansion pack for DNF."

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They can make tons just releasing the remake for 15$ like ROTT 2013. Steamworks and mod tools? That's a selling point for thousands customers. But its Gearbox, they don't even know what makes Borderlands 2 a good game, is like they just throw dice during the developing of a game (or just throw it away to other dev like ACM).

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Guillermus posted:

That's awesome. I spent many hours playing Sven Co-op on the good old HL days. The mod had tons of coop maps itself and people made crazy poo poo for it and while the mod crashed a lot, it was really fun to make a listen server and play with 250+ ping with your friends. I'm totally installing it and playing with goons as soon as they release it, bonus points if we get on mumble/TS.

I have a Mumble server we can use. It has 25 slots.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I normally use battlefield goons mumble (is HUGE and can make rooms) but we should really have one for our Early FPS needs. Sven Co-op, Unreal coop and that thing.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Nev posted:

We also have full access to the Half-Life source code, so we can work on increasing engine limits, upgrading the rendering pipeline and so on. Kind of like what ZDoom, Darkplaces etc do, except in our case we can not release the source to our modifications.
Congrats on this, it's pretty great news. Are there any more details you could share with us, or is it hush-hush apart from what's on the website for now? In anycase, I had a feeling that something like this was coming when I re-read the 4.8 update and saw that it said 'this is going to be the last mod update of Sven Co-op' really cool to see my suspicion was correct.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Jblade posted:

Congrats on this, it's pretty great news. Are there any more details you could share with us, or is it hush-hush apart from what's on the website for now? In anycase, I had a feeling that something like this was coming when I re-read the 4.8 update and saw that it said 'this is going to be the last mod update of Sven Co-op' really cool to see my suspicion was correct.

Nothing is particularly hush-hush at the moment, but we are reluctant to reveal planned features for 5.0 until they are in a working, near-finalized state, as we don't want to disappoint people. I can say that in addition to engine upgrades we are focusing heavily on providing a much more solid HLSP experience, since we imagine a lot of new players will want to play through the HL/OP4/BS campaigns with their friends before they do much else. I think I can also safely share that we are planning to support Mac OS as well as Linux, though I can not promise that will happen for the initial release.

The team is extremely motivated to be working on a standalone version. There is so much we can do now that was impossible before, as a result of having access to the engine source.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Cat Mattress posted:

That's stupid.

If I were Mr Gearbox Executive Suit, I'd have told Interceptor "you finish that game, and we'll release it as a free expansion pack for DNF."

Eh, Blizzard did that to a WC3 mod for Starcraft 1 also. Executives for any company would be hesitant for someone to actually release a product based on their licence. This isn't an uncommon phenomenon - hating Gearbox for a standard decision is a bit overblown.

Hopefully the execs will let these guys produce a real Duke game though. Seems like these guys have the talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Nev posted:

Nothing is particularly hush-hush at the moment, but we are reluctant to reveal planned features for 5.0 until they are in a working, near-finalized state, as we don't want to disappoint people. I can say that in addition to engine upgrades we are focusing heavily on providing a much more solid HLSP experience, since we imagine a lot of new players will want to play through the HL/OP4/BS campaigns with their friends before they do much else. I think I can also safely share that we are planning to support Mac OS as well as Linux, though I can not promise that will happen for the initial release.
That's cool, I was always impressed by how much you guys managed to squeeze the engine in regards to increasing it's limits rather than just slapping alot of shaders onto the game and decreasing performance - Paranoia used it really effectively to be fair but Cry of Fear just made my computer crawl. I'm kind of confused by the huge fanbase that mod has though, it's got a metric fuckton of artwork on it's facebook page. It was technically impressive but I'd already played Afraid of Monsters and it was essentially more of the same.