Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Saltin posted:

Every time I try to fight one of these things I just get wrecked, even if my units are "better". I must be doing something wrong fundamentally. It seems like many people here have a good handle on how to manage the war side of things, so I thought I would ask for advice. I am well ahead in technology, what are the basics with regard to units, placement, etc? I cannot reach the city from the sea as it is on an interior lake I have no access to, but it is close by.

Build lots of artillery and bombers and blow everything up. You don't even need very much infantry to do the job - just enough to protect your artillery and take over the city. Cavalry/tanks can be useful for gaining line of sight to cities and pillaging. Gatling/machine guns are unfortunately pretty useless without range promotions but you can still use them to take out units and camp next to the city if necessary, since they're not too weak.

If anything, taking over cities is easier than before since you can pillage to heal and modern cities should have an improvement on nearly every tile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Just jumped in to Civ5 with all the expansions after not playing a Civ game since Alpha Centauri, which I was pretty good at and could beat the highest difficulty with any faction. But holy poo poo there is a lot going on in Civ 5. Pretty much no clue what this religion, culture, and great art/writing/etc. stuff is right now. Also I built 10+ cities really drat fast because that's what you do in SMAC but I guess that's a mistake because now my subjects hate me and I can forget about every getting to the next social engineering choice... :v:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Or, most excitingly, never going to war but still winning by Domination because nobody's been able to hold onto their capital. I wonder how often, if ever, that actually happened?

That would be pretty rare but it wasn't that uncommon to get a victory for only taking 1-2 capitals, especially if there was a warmonger who had a coastal capital that you could sneak in and grab.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lunsku posted:

One of my pet peeves with Civ5 has all the time been how much information on how mechanics of the game work it seems to be hiding from you. First time I was watching some MadDjinn Deity LP in youtube was really a what the hell moment when several completely new mechanics things came up.

I *really* wish someone would come along and write a new version of "Rome on 640k a day," but every subsequent guide to a Civ game has been utter poo poo and basically just a reprint of the Civopedia in that game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the best source for guides and information about all the different bits about the game (preferably already updated for BNW or are general enough to still work)? I love this drat game but I'm so bad at knowing anything about it or what to do in it.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

isndl posted:

Civ5 war strategy is get a big backbone of ranged attackers, with a handful of melee units to screen and actually capture cities. Modern Era means you have access to Artillery (base 3 range and Indirect Fire, it's very solid) and Bombers (awesome range, rush Air Repair as soon as possible and you can basically use them endlessly). Use your melee units to spot and absorb damage, shred anything that walks up with overlapping fields of fire, eventually bombard cities to zero and then walk in with your melee.

Artillery is available as soon as Industrial, and it's nice because Chemistry and Fertilizer are on the way to its tech and give some nice food/production bonuses. Also, try to finish off wounded units--if the computer starts the turn with a unit at red HP, they'll heal the unit (through pillaging your tiles and/or burning a promotion opportunity) and/or retreat it to bother you later.

Planes are really the key to modern warfare--with all the experience buildings plus Brandenburg Gate, you can have your bombers start with Air Repair. 6-10 of those, plus a lancer or something to grab cities, will win a war all on their own. Just be sure not to lose your forward air base.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Planes are also excellent because they allow you to concentrate your fire and ignore terrain. Attacking through a two-tile-long, one-tile-wide chokepoint is difficult, but planes can soften the enemy up and give you a beachhead on the other side.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ooh, ouch, never start a fight with Pocatello on his home turf. Unless you have artillery. That was just painful.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Speedball posted:

Ooh, ouch, never start a fight with Pocatello on his home turf. Unless you have artillery. That was just painful.

I don't understand, you should always have artillery.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Saltin posted:

I've been playing Civ since the very first iteration and know the game pretty well. I can win all sorts of ways, but one thing I cannot seem to get my head around in V is a modern war, mostly because I've never had to fight one. In my first play-through of BNW, it looks like I may have to fight one with France to get an outcome.

Every time I try to fight one of these things I just get wrecked, even if my units are "better". I must be doing something wrong fundamentally. It seems like many people here have a good handle on how to manage the war side of things, so I thought I would ask for advice. I am well ahead in technology, what are the basics with regard to units, placement, etc? I cannot reach the city from the sea as it is on an interior lake I have no access to, but it is close by.

In addition to what others have said (get bombers/artillery, focus fire, etc) do not neglect your air defense. The AI loves its bombers too, and if you don't have fighters or ground AA they can quickly chew up your units.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm kind of adoring the new XCOM squad units. They come too late to be genuinely useful for winning the game, but they work nicely with my postgame "gently caress it, I already won, let's just nuke everything and then swoop in with paratroopers" strategy because now I have plasma storm troopers who can drop from halfway across the world to maintain order in the nuclear hellscape I just created. Aesthetically it's very cool and satisfying (if not actually super useful in a normal strategy). I just wish they weren't called "XCOM Squads" because that's not what XCOM is damnit.

Still cool though.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Phanatic posted:

I *really* wish someone would come along and write a new version of "Rome on 640k a day," but every subsequent guide to a Civ game has been utter poo poo and basically just a reprint of the Civopedia in that game.

I dunno. I always thought the Prima Civ II guide wasn't awful for a Civilization strategy guide... But Rome on 640k a Day and Power, Politics and Planning (for SC2K) were (and are) just amazing books and, to me, are still the textbook definitions of what strategy guides should be. But I guess the rise of GameFAQs has changed all that for good or ill.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I dunno. I always thought the Prima Civ II guide wasn't awful for a Civilization strategy guide... But Rome on 640k a Day and Power, Politics and Planning (for SC2K) were (and are) just amazing books and, to me, are still the textbook definitions of what strategy guides should be. But I guess the rise of GameFAQs has changed all that for good or ill.

Rome on 640k wasn't a strategy guide, it was classic literature that happened to be about a video game.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Speedball posted:

The solution is as always, nuke him.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

More shittastic resolution BNW streaming in a couple minutes:

http://www.twitch.tv/captainfargle

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

In addition to what others have said (get bombers/artillery, focus fire, etc) do not neglect your air defense. The AI loves its bombers too, and if you don't have fighters or ground AA they can quickly chew up your units.

Artillery is especially vulnerable to bombers. Fortunately, the AI is pretty stupid about carrying out air sweeps, so leave your army within range of some AA guns (or a city with several fighters set to Intercept) and watch the AI suicide all their bombers.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SlightlyMadman posted:

Rome on 640k wasn't a strategy guide, it was classic literature that happened to be about a video game.

I still remember when, back in the early 2000s, I was at a used book store and stumbled across that book and made a point of buying it since I hadn't seen my copy in ages. It turned out it was my copy that my parents had sold to the bookstore thinking that I was done with it. Boy were they wrong.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SickZip posted:

Poland.

The bottleneck on conquering isn't beating the computer. It's having enough happiness and a strong enough economy that doing so doesn't leave you worse off then where you started. Poland's extra social policies are real good for that.

A religion with happiness modifiers/buildings helps a lot with this, as does simply burning down every city you come across and selling the buildings while you can. As long as you don't hit -10 it's all good.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
This expansion pack turned Civ into everything I ever wanted from this iteration of the series. Holy crap is Venice fun. I managed to do an interactive cultural victory it's mindboggling!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is it common for only one uranium resource to spawn on the map now? I'm in the atomic era and only Japan has any, and only 4 at that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bro Enlai posted:

Planes are really the key to modern warfare--with all the experience buildings plus Brandenburg Gate, you can have your bombers start with Air Repair. 6-10 of those, plus a lancer or something to grab cities, will win a war all on their own. Just be sure not to lose your forward air base.

Planes are really underwhelming if you have highly promoted battleships. Keep a carrier of fighters around to protect against enemy planes, but range & logistics battleships are just as good at hitting anything within four tiles of the sea.

Perhaps more importantly, they don’t take damage when attacking and they can’t be intercepted. The AI loves their AA guns, and they’re annoyingly tough against bombers even after they’ve been air‐swept.

Planes are a godsend for land‐based warfare, but that’s only because there are no land battleships.

RBA Starblade posted:

Is it common for only one uranium resource to spawn on the map now? I'm in the atomic era and only Japan has any, and only 4 at that.

No, that’s highly unusual. Standard size maps have at least three sources of uranium, in my experience.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.
I've never gotten crushed quite as badly in late game as I just did; playing as Shoshone, had a small continent all to myself, life was good; suddenly, a Pointiest Sticks notification comes up to let me know that the Zulu have 11,000 points worth, and then they immediately declared war.

My entire game ended within five turns of the start of that war.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Man, playing Shoshone has worked really well for my desire to have a massive city sprawl. Of course, I completely forgot that managing a bunch of cities in Civ games becomes a slog as the game goes on. I only have 10 cities, but it'll just get bogged down more and more as I either expand or break Mongolia's back and take all their cities.

Of course, I could always just keep piling on the technology and just sweep the world with nuclear fire... I seem to recall nukes in prior games couldn't actually destroy cities, just ravage them to 1 pop and no upgrades. I was pleased when I fired off a nuke in another game and it wiped the city off the map. :black101:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I am playing a game on the map size right above standard right now and my empire has 6 sources of Uranium in it right now. Currently stockpiling a bunch of nukes for use on the last civ I have to conquer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't believe how many of you are such inhuman monsters willing to engage in nuclear holocaust for some shallow victory.

Now that it's so easy to donate cities, you don't even really need to raze them anymore - just give them to the shittiest, weak civ on the planet. Impi spears in the gut are fair game, however.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

eXXon posted:

Now that it's so easy to donate cities, you don't even really need to raze them anymore - just give them to the shittiest, weak civ on the planet. Impi spears in the gut are fair game, however.

This sort of has me thinking, has anyone tried spamming settlers late game and donating lovely cities to other civs to tank their happiness/culture/science? Or do the latter two still apply to you?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The latter 2 would still apply.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ha, the internet tech is pretty much solely there to get the culture victory over with. I was going to win anyway, it just let me do it four turns faster so Japan's monopoly on the resource it couldn't use never mattered. Culture wins still take forever though, but it was fun! I think I like it more than how it used to be. Domination still seems to be the easiest/fastest way to win though; I could have won a couple hundred turns ago if I felt like it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

The latter 2 would still apply.

Nope, Science rate gets readjusted when losing/trading/razing cities. Culture doesn't, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nope, Science rate gets readjusted when losing/trading/razing cities. Culture doesn't, though.

You can still minimize the hit by trading away one city before founding the next.

That said, I still wouldn’t recommend it because the AI settles enough marginal city locations as‐is.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I haven't ever tested this, but I've read that your culture rate does get reset when you build a new city after giving away or razing some.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Just traderoute bad cities into relevance. It only takes two caravans or whatever to flood a city with food and a couple workers to allow the land to get there. A 20 pop city is almost always useful no matter what the terrain.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I beat the game on Warlord difficulty, and by around 1500AD my score was 2x more than the second placed AI. The AI really didn't seem to do very much. Genghis Khan came at me early, and i crushed him. Then following this the other AI on my continent Siam more or less didn't do anything. In the end i rolled over the other civilizations with tanks and they never really fought back.

So i tried Prince difficulty as Poland, and got destroyed.

Is there a decent newbie guide for playing this? I see people talking about single city games are viable, etc. The only way i really know how to play it is by building cities, and building a massive army and crushing everyone.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

UberJumper posted:

I beat the game on Warlord difficulty, and by around 1500AD my score was 2x more than the second placed AI. The AI really didn't seem to do very much. Genghis Khan came at me early, and i crushed him. Then following this the other AI on my continent Siam more or less didn't do anything. In the end i rolled over the other civilizations with tanks and they never really fought back.

So i tried Prince difficulty as Poland, and got destroyed.

Is there a decent newbie guide for playing this? I see people talking about single city games are viable, etc. The only way i really know how to play it is by building cities, and building a massive army and crushing everyone.

Prince really isn't too hard - it's the "fair" difficulty, where both you and the AI are even in regards to stats (higher than that, the AI gets bonuses to science, production, etc. Lower than that, you get those bonuses). Single city games aren't incredibly difficult but they are going to be more challenging than a normal game.

A nice way to start out is to stick to around 3-4 cities early on, then expand much later in the game if you have need to (it's entirely possible not to need to, depending on what sort of game you're playing). If you expand too much too early, you're going to be stuck with a bunch of lovely cities that are a huge drain on your empire's happiness, which will prevent them from growing and reduce their economic output, so not only are they just a drain on your empire, but they'll never actually get big enough to be anything but a burden. 3-4 is kind of the sweet spot in terms of manageability, but you can go higher or lower no problem if you know what you're doing.

Pick one of either Liberty or Tradition to start with and use that to guide your expansion strategy, then fill out the tree. When it comes to culture, the general rule is focus - pick a few trees and fill them out completely, don't pick and choose from lots of them since you'll waste a lot of culture just unlocking them. If you want to play a conquest game, Honor is an obvious choice. After that you might want to look at commerce or rationalism, depending on whether you find you need money or science more. Piety is more for a culture game and Patronage is more for a diplomatic game (but if you can squeeze it in, Patronage pretty much never HURTS you).

When it comes to combat, there's two basic rules:
1) Don't attack cities without siege units. It's a complete waste of time and troops.
2) Choke points + ranged attacks pretty much always beat the AI. It's not very good at tactics and so it will just keep throwing units into the meat grinder. It's pretty easy to wipe out a civ's entire army that way and just march over and take their now completely undefended territory.

Big armies aren't nearly as important in Civ 5 as they were in previous games - it's more about using tactics than just creating one giant mob of death and rolling over everything (which is why the AI tends to kind of suck at combat - it's still mostly only good at giant death mobs). If a unit is about to die and you can back them out, it's better to back them up and have them heal up to full rather than having them die and have to replace them. It's fine to give up a little ground to the opponent if it means saving a unit, since you can easily bring them back in a few turns and hit them right back. You also heal at double rate inside your own territory so if you're close to your own borders, pull all your units behind them to heal.

I'm hardly an expert at Civ so others can probably give you more specific advice about good wonders and civilization choices, but the above works pretty well for me on Prince. The main thing is just pick a strategy early on and build for that - don't try to do culture and warfare and diplomacy and huge science advances all at once because you'll end up just spreading yourself to thin and sucking at all of those things. Do enough of each that you don't fall too far behind the other civs, and then put your effort into things that help your main goal - if it's diplomacy, you'll want things that give you cash and bonuses to city state relationships. If it's warfare, combat bonuses and unit maintenance reductions. If it's expansion, you'll want things that give you happiness bonuses. Culture and science are kind of obvious what you need to boost those (culture and science bonuses, duh).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 17, 2013

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So what's the downside to nuclear weapons? I blasted the crap out of Dubai and Delhi with nukes because there were mountains in the way of advancing my tanks, and as far as I could tell the only bad part was spending ~10 turns cleaning up the fallout.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The fallout is a downside and everyone hates you for doing it (may or may not be a downside, this depends if you actually care what the AI thinks).

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Is there a way to tell how much/why other civs hate you? In the above game I was just trying to kill everyone to end it, but sometimes maybe I'll try something different.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is there a way to tell how much/why other civs hate you? In the above game I was just trying to kill everyone to end it, but sometimes maybe I'll try something different.

Hover your cursor over the Friendly/Neutral/Guarded/Hostile text in the diplomacy dropdown or on their leader screen.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Don't know if it's already been mentioned/how many people care, but the mod which restores a bunch of Civ IV diplomatic options (including vassalge, map trading, and tech trading) is now available for BNW. Haven't had a chance to test it myself yet, but I know I found out about it from somebody mentioning it in the thread, so I figured I'd mention it myself now that it's back!

Found here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=141452526

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I know its already been said, but the G & K & BNW expansions actually make civ5 fun to play. I was really disappointed with vanilla because I felt there were no good reasons not to immediately conquer everyone you could (aside from happiness penalties). Now I actually want to make allies and think of diplomacy.

Speaking of diplomacy, I am terrible at it. Why do civs refuse to trade luxuries with me on a 1:1 2:1 or even 3:1 ratio? They always want like 3 luxuries and a strategic resource and gpt for one lousy luxury resource. Why do they go from offering open borders to denouncing me even though I haven't attacked one person. Is it because I'm the #2 guy? Is it because I did attack a different civ (they were hostile towards) twice? I just don't get why they are such dicks.

• Locked thread