Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Saint Fu posted:

I tried a massage place in a strip mall near my apartment in Mega Kuningan, cost $10 for an hour. Probably could get it cheaper since I live in a big expat area.
Nah, 100,000 Rupiah is pretty standard for a full-body massage (the non-prostitute kind). Surabaya is way cheaper than Jakarta and that's still a decent price. You can get pretty awesome hand and foot massages for like 20,000 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

Jakarta isn't like the middle east, you should be able to find food during the day. I see local people eating at the cafes around my office all the time. Expect packed restaurants between 6 and 10pm as people go out to break their fast. Also traffic will be especially bad starting at around 3 (God help you if it rains).

I'm pretty new to Jakarta myself but my local co-workers tell me to go to Kota aka Old Jakarta for some history. I haven't been myself so I can't give first hand experience but it looked kinda meh to me. There really isn't a whole lot culturally speaking that I've found to be honest. It's not like Bangkok where there are a bunch of sweet temples and palaces etc inside the city limits.

I tried a massage place in a strip mall near my apartment in Mega Kuningan, cost $10 for an hour. Probably could get it cheaper since I live in a big expat area.

When are you going to be in town?

Thank you for your suggestion! I am actually flying tonight. My friend insisted to pick me up from the airport. I told her that I could take a taxi but she was like... No no no, taking taxi is not safe for the first time! ( what does that even mean? :/) so anyway, take off now!!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Wonton posted:

Thank you for your suggestion! I am actually flying tonight. My friend insisted to pick me up from the airport. I told her that I could take a taxi but she was like... No no no, taking taxi is not safe for the first time! ( what does that even mean? :/) so anyway, take off now!!
I have no idea what she means by that. The arrivals terminal is a bit of a clusterfuck if you don't know what you're doing. The metered taxis all have little stands at the curb and sometimes have long lines. If you don't mind waiting, BlueBird is the standard go-to. If you wander around looking like you're lost you'll be swarmed by non-legit taxis offering to take you somewhere for approximately 2-3 times the metered rate. I have bartered these people down to about 1.2 times the meter rate if there is a long line for a BlueBird and I don't feel like waiting.

Oh also if you get a metered taxi, you'll be expected to pay the toll and parking. It's usually 5,000 or less rupiah per toll and 3-7,000 for parking.

e: Oh and they never ever have change. I hoard small bills like a mother fucker.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Nah, 100,000 Rupiah is pretty standard for a full-body massage (the non-prostitute kind). Surabaya is way cheaper than Jakarta and that's still a decent price. You can get pretty awesome hand and foot massages for like 20,000 though.
Oh yeah? That's good to know for future reference. How much do beers cost at restaurants down there?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Wonton posted:

Taxi's in Jakarta unless you use an agency car (and even sometimes then) is supposed to be a bit like russian roulette. You can end up overcharged, mugged or kidnapped depending on how lucky you are. Most of the time it's fine though and I think security concerns are a little overblown.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I fly a lot for work and have taken all manner of taxi from the airport (SilverBird on down to random guy who spoke no English in a brokedown hoopty) and am yet to be kidnapped. Not saying it couldn't happen though!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Saint Fu posted:

I fly a lot for work and have taken all manner of taxi from the airport (SilverBird on down to random guy who spoke no English in a brokedown hoopty) and am yet to be kidnapped. Not saying it couldn't happen though!

Same here, first time I got a GoldBird from the airport and felt like an idiot for how much it ended up costing but even pick ups at malls and stuff were always fine. Like I said, I think the security situation in Jakarta is overblown. Having said that colleagues of mine where in the marriott when it was attacked that time.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
As long as we're on the topic of Jakarta... what is the market like for knock-off goods in Indonesia? I'm thinking of places like the Russian Market in Phnom Penh, DVDs, games, watches, "brand-name" clothes, bags, etc. I have a great North Face backpack I bought in Cambodia which I might have to get rid of soon (limited space to ship things home to the US, bag won't fit in boxes, smaller than my other luggage, yadda yadda), but my next trip overseas is likely going to be Indonesia next year and I'm wondering if I can pick up a new one then. Is there some place similar to the Cambodian markets?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

The very first time i walked out onto Otres I saw a German geezer getting a handjob under his towel from a Cambodian teenager, I'm pretty sure that counts
Could you tell he was German from the roped off beach chairs around him?

EDIT: Air Asia started promoting flights from BKK to Siem Reap today with their typical super-low fares. This is good news for tourists who had been gouged for years by Bangkok Airways on that route. Pretty soon, Bangkok Airways will only have like Trat and Sukhothai, and the ticket to either will cost 280,000 Baht.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 16, 2013

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

ReindeerF posted:

Could you tell he was German from the roped off beach chairs around him?

He was very vocal throughout the whole experience, keeping up a steady monologue with the girl who was working away on him and sorta nodding her head and agreeing the whole time. He kept talking in a German accent the whole time, up to and through the point of release, at which point (I'm not making any of this up) he loudly declared "OOOOOoooooOOOOhHhhHHHHHHHHH this beer is... so cold! It's good!" and then she cleaned him up with the towel. But yeah, the accent gave him away, so he was either German or Austrian, which would make our thread metric that much more apt.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Classy. I will die proud of never having gone to Pattaya or Sihanoukville.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
This was on the morning of Christmas Eve, by the way. If you're worrying about class.

And the best part is that that still wasn't the most outrageous part of my time in Sihanoukville. What a shithole that place is.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Well you didn't say it was Christmas Eve! What German tourist doesn't deserve a public handjob on the beach by a third world prostitute of questionable age on the eve of Jesus's birthday? Jesus would've wanted it this way.

It's a very common German tradition, you probably just hadn't heard about it.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Maybe the cold beer was burning his hand?

e: maybe not..

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"KEEP RUBBING... IST GETTINK VARMER NOW"

EDIT: Before moving to SE Asia, I never thought the concept of an old European getting a handjob on a public beach from a young Asian woman would be something that wouldn't really raise an eyebrow. The list of poo poo that I don't even blink at anymore just grows by the year, which is not entirely a good thing, probably. It seeps into your vocabulary, at least in Bangkok, because so much random poo poo is just part of daily life. Then you catch yourself in conversations like:

"Oh I know it looks like a nice hotel on the web site, Mom, but the bar's full of freelancers - it's really obnoxious."

"What's a freelancer?"

"Oh boy."

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 16, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Saint Fu posted:

Oh yeah? That's good to know for future reference. How much do beers cost at restaurants down there?
Ahahaha you're funny. The only non-supermarket places with beer are the karaoke bars, which are also apparently the brothels. That was an interesting night, to say the least. There's a bar called Colours that has ridiculously jacked-up prices but a decent selection of wine/spirits, and live acts every weekend - it's somewhat of an anomaly, and where most of Surabaya's tiny expat community go on Friday night.

You can get a bottle of Bintang from the supermarket for about 27,000, or a six-pack for 60k. There's also always Guinness Export for about 70k/tallboy, for some reason. Hoegaarden is also surprisingly easy to find, though again you'll have to go to one of the bigger supermarkets (Hero, occasionally Giant). You can get Balinese Vodka for about 200k/bottle if you dig around the rights parts of Surabaya, and Chinese rice wine that's like old vinegar for significantly less. There's also arrack, but I've got no pressing wish to go blind then die, so I tend to stay away. It apparently doesn't count as alcohol under Quranic law, probably because it's closer to paint thinner.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 16, 2013

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Oh god Guinness Export is truly horrible. An expat once told me that it's just a bunch of leftover poo poo bottled and shipped illegally from Jakarta.

Bintang is alright. I'm pretty sure it's just Chang though.

\/\/ Nice, the more you know! \/\/

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 16, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Oh god Guinness Export is truly horrible. An expat once told me that it's just a bunch of leftover poo poo bottled and shipped illegally from Jakarta.

Bintang is alright. I'm pretty sure it's just Chang though.
Nah, it's just Heineken. Literally: when the Dutch buggered off, the locals took over the brewery and just went right back to work doing the exact same thing. They barely even changed the bottles.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

ReindeerF posted:

Classy. I will die proud of never having gone to Pattaya or Sihanoukville.

It's nice to know that someone else in the world reminds themselves of this during low moments.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Okay. Now I am in Jarkata. Had some nice Padang food last night. People look friendly, so far. Going through custom was strange...A lot of
Chinese people bribed the officials by putting some money in the passport. The VOs accepted the money but I didn't see them trying to give anyone a hard time or intentionally pick up on Chinese if you didn't bribe them. I heard the situation was really bad in the past, guess VOs are behaving now. I was just wondering why would you stil bribe them while there's no need for that? =/

Anyways, today I will walk around, find some food, have a massage maybe, and exchange money. Does anyone know anything about the rate? Is it a good idea to exchange all my US dollars in Jarkata or is the rate better on Bali island? I am going to Bali in 2 days.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Nah, it's just Heineken. Literally: when the Dutch buggered off, the locals took over the brewery and just went right back to work doing the exact same thing. They barely even changed the bottles.

Funny you mention this. My wife and I just had a blind taste test of the green bottle beers we can get at our local grocery store.

Surprisingly I liked Anker the best despite being the cheapest at ~$1.20/bottle. Heineken and Bintang were almost indistinguishable. The Heineken is still brewed in Indonesia after all.

Wonton posted:

Okay. Now I am in Jarkata. Had some nice Padang food last night. People look friendly, so far. Going through custom was strange...A lot of
Chinese people bribed the officials by putting some money in the passport. The VOs accepted the money but I didn't see them trying to give anyone a hard time or intentionally pick up on Chinese if you didn't bribe them. I heard the situation was really bad in the past, guess VOs are behaving now. I was just wondering why would you stil bribe them while there's no need for that? =/

Anyways, today I will walk around, find some food, have a massage maybe, and exchange money. Does anyone know anything about the rate? Is it a good idea to exchange all my US dollars in Jarkata or is the rate better on Bali island? I am going to Bali in 2 days.
Was the bribing at the visa-on-arrival kiosk? Because it costs $25 for everyone so maybe they were just on the ball with the cash? Very strange if it was the actual stamping guy who they "bribed"

For cash I always just use the ATM (this goes for everywhere in Asia). Can't comment on Jakarta vs Bali but I would guess you'd find a better rate in Jakarta since Bali is more likely to be full of gullible tourists.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

Was the bribing at the visa-on-arrival kiosk? Because it costs $25 for everyone so maybe they were just on the ball with the cash? Very strange if it was the actual stamping guy who they "bribed"

For cash I always just use the ATM (this goes for everywhere in Asia). Can't comment on Jakarta vs Bali but I would guess you'd find a better rate in Jakarta since Bali is more likely to be full of gullible tourists.

It was the VOA line and it was the actual stamping guy that they were bribing! People were not giving him USD, I'm pretty sure about that. I saw two guys gave the VO as least 200 RMB, and an old lady just put 20 HKD, both of them went through without any problem. The thing is only Chinese people would bribe them, so the VOs only pick on Chinese, it's kinda sad...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Via Andrew Drummond's site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNgq5JUssxI

Perhaps pounding on the bar and screaming at the owner was not the best way to get a drink. My favorite part is the mild confusion when he just goes down instead of fighting back and you can tell they hadn't considered this eventuality - like, "Oh poo poo, Somchai, what do we do with a limp body?"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Who wants it?

*Everybody in bar silently elects man standing directly behind you to take it

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

Who wants it?

Haha, yes.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Sheep-Goats posted:

Who wants it?

I love how he turned around and just casually strolled off, too. It's very "gently caress YOU, ehhh mai bpen rai."

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I love this ad for so many reasons. It's a shame they didn't go all out and use an older, rounder gentleman.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
And how nice of them to install an ATM on the walking path at Lumpini Park.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Just in case you're wandering the park at night and need to make some cash transactions...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Smeef posted:

Just in case you're wandering the park at night and need to make some cash transactions...
Now why would that ever happen at Lumpi-

EDIT: For Non-Bangkokians, Lumpini Park is traditionally notorious for the streetwalkers that line Wittayu road late at night just outside the fence.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 17, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ReindeerF posted:

Via Andrew Drummond's site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNgq5JUssxI

Perhaps pounding on the bar and screaming at the owner was not the best way to get a drink. My favorite part is the mild confusion when he just goes down instead of fighting back and you can tell they hadn't considered this eventuality - like, "Oh poo poo, Somchai, what do we do with a limp body?"

Oh god, this is hilarious on so many levels.

And the youtube comments just make it all better. Expats yelling about cheap shots, Thais muttering about farangs. It's glorious.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cynic Jester posted:

And the youtube comments just make it all better. Expats yelling about cheap shots, Thais muttering about farangs. It's glorious.
Yeah, that's the part I love. It's like it just flies over everyone's head that it's a moron acting like an rear end in a top hat Brit in what is surely a beer bar (thinly disguised brothel) staffed by dirtbags. I wouldn't want to pick up the slack for anyone involved, heh.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How to find out if someone is wrong (SE Asia edition):

Step 1:

Are they British?

If Yes, they're wrong. If No, continue to step 2.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

gently caress sand flies forever

I can't sleep, in too much pain :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tomato Soup posted:

gently caress sand flies forever

I can't sleep, in too much pain :(
Drink heavily, it's the only answer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So in a year and a half or so I plan on training Muay Thai in Thailand for about 3-6 months. I'm pretty set on a place in Koh Samui. I'll definitely check out Bangkok and such. I'm kinda done doing the whole hoping around thing. I'd much rather stay in one place, have my own small apartment, and really enjoy a hobby, volunteering, or something.

Any input?

I understand I can get a 60 day visa and extend it by 30 days there. How can I go about staying 6 months legally?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Christoff posted:

I understand I can get a 60 day visa and extend it by 30 days there. How can I go about staying 6 months legally?
The visa thing is a bit complex, but, yeah, get a multiple entry tourist visa from home. That'll get you 2 entries at 60 days + 30 each, which is 180. Voila, you've been in Thailand 6 months. If you want to stay longer than that, this is where your problems come in.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

You might be able to get an education visa. I got one for scuba diving. Get in touch with whatever school you decide to train with, and a Thai consulate or embassy. They give you three months at a time, but getting another three months is as simple as crossing a border and then coming back.

There are Muay Thai places on Koh Tao and Koh Phangan, too, and they probably offer more extracurricular activities than Samui.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, an Ed-Visa is your solution for stays longer than 6 months. I swear they're going to kill this loophole by cracking down eventually, but it hasn't happened yet. Since the Samui archipelago is completely outside the boundaries of Thai law when it comes to pretty much everything short of murder (and sometimes even that!) I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow retained the ability to have Ed-Visas issued for fake schools there until the end of time.

Or file your BOI paperwork and then just don't start a company, but please leave this loophole in place by not abusing it, heh. The BOI sponsorship goodies are like the only helpful thing the government has ever done for foreign small business owners here.

EDIT: Oh and medical visas, but at this point I'm just doing donuts on random visa tips really.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

How to find out if someone is wrong (SE Asia edition):

Step 1:

Are they British?

If Yes, they're wrong. If No, continue to step 2.

I'm Scottish, does this apply (y/n)??