Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
Anyone know what happened to Thwipster?

Also, what's the consensus on best Ikea bookcase? Moving and I'm going to need better shelving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
For Absolutes? Expedit. Billy's are okay if you don't overload them or if you reinforce them. Or keep the Absolutes on the very bottom.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Seconding the Expedit, the cube construction prevents shelf sag. Also good for vinyl records.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Seconding the Expedit, the cube construction prevents shelf sag. Also good for vinyl records.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
If you ever plan on moving, get the Expedit 4x4. If you don't, the 5x5 is great.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

sporklift posted:

Also good for vinyl records.

Planning on going to Ikea this weekend for that reason. Not sure if I want to go Expedit or Billy for my books, probably a mix of the two. Billy's would be great for novels and small format comics. Still need to figure out how I'm going to lay out my room.

Moving is sometimes fun! (when I'm not spending money on non comic things. :'( )

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm getting an Expedit 5x5 with desk the weekend of Wizard World Chicago. Might pick up one of the 2x4s as well.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man
I have all my heavy books on my 5x5 Expedit since it hold weight much better than my Billies.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I have four billy shelves, two for books and two for DVD's. I have all my heavy hardcovers on the bottom and have had no issues over about 4-5 years. I need more of them but I have no space sadly. I've had my Fredrik desk since December of 06, and I bought whatever the glass display case that Rhyno has is called on a New Years sale a couple years back and it's all in great working order still. They make good stuff

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

I have four billy shelves, two for books and two for DVD's. I have all my heavy hardcovers on the bottom and have had no issues over about 4-5 years. I need more of them but I have no space sadly. I've had my Fredrik desk since December of 06, and I bought whatever the glass display case that Rhyno has is called on a New Years sale a couple years back and it's all in great working order still. They make good stuff

Detolfs. I've got 4, might snag a 5th when we go in August.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I haven't had issues with anything that doesn't have moving parts. Well, my Billy case fell apart after bowing from storing Absolutes on top. Ever dresser I or someone in my family has bought from there has had its lovely plastic tracks disintegrate, so I avoid Ikea furniture that moves in any way.

Edit: Speaking of Suzy Homemaker poo poo, I'm thinking about getting half way decent magazine holders to display some floppies on my shelves. Seems like they come in cheap cardboard or expensive acrylic, though. Going to look for something decent looking and durable that won't break the bank.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 17, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Wow. I have a bunch of Expedits around. Two 4x4, two 1x4 (one is on its side as a TV stand), and a 2x2. The couple Billys I have I found on the sidewalk and are great for smaller books and DVDs.

Uthor posted:

Edit: Speaking of Suzy Homemaker poo poo, I'm thinking about getting half way decent magazine holders to display some floppies on my shelves. Seems like they come in cheap cardboard or expensive acrylic, though. Going to look for something decent looking and durable that won't break the bank.

Cardboard but thicker and come in different sizes. Can't for the life of me remember where I got them. Target, Ikea, or Amazon. Musta been cheap knowing me... Can't spend more on storage than the comics are worth, right?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

krut posted:

Anyone know what happened to Thwipster?

Also, what's the consensus on best Ikea bookcase? Moving and I'm going to need better shelving.

Thanks for asking this. I'm moving for my wife's post doc in a couple weeks, and we have given away 2/3 of our book cases so that we don't have to move $50 target shelves. I'm just keeping the middle tier ones. But, we're going to have to move again in the next 3 years (to a long term home). The Expedits that every one are recommending sound great, but are there any Ikea shelves for even larger books? I have some art books that are in the 18-19 inch range.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I have a Billy for my tbps and hardcovers, but I don't own any Absolutes. All my OSHCs and the few Omnibi I own are on the bottom shelf.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

If you look at the entire Billy range you'll see there's one version that is narrower than your standard by about 1/2. I find these narrower ones awesome for TPBs because they're still as deep as the other Billys (not shallow like Benno) but the narrower construction means you get less shelf sag. Putting 2 next to each other takes up no more space than 1 of the wider ones, only costs slightly more in the long run and you can still put the extension on the top for an extra roof. Perfect.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

sporklift posted:

Cardboard but thicker and come in different sizes. Can't for the life of me remember where I got them. Target, Ikea, or Amazon. Musta been cheap knowing me... Can't spend more on storage than the comics are worth, right?

Looks like the ones I just grabbed from Ikea. 2 for $4. Seem fairly sturdy, but I don't like that the label/handle are on the tall side and not the short side. I'm probably going to put them on my shelves the other way.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90214426/

I grabbed a 2x2 Expedit for my turntable and will probably grab a 2x4 one for my office next time I'm in town. Been spending a lot lately, so I'll put off buying more furniture for a bit and until I figure out how I want to set up the office/comicbook room.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Good luck, it's been out of print for over a year and commanding 3 times cover on Amazon.

Does anybody know if there is less content in the Ex Machina trade paperbacks compared to the hardcovers?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
YES! http://www.deadpoolbugle.com/2013/07/deadpool-by-joe-kelly-omnibus-announced.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I thought that was common knowledge already?

Edit: Yeah, from July 11th.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It was news to me, apologies if everybody already knew. Only thing missing is a Jae Lee cover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It was news to me, apologies if everybody already knew. Only thing missing is a Jae Lee cover.

Why would Jae Lee do a cover for it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He did a bunch of Deadpool covers for Deadpool Pulp. They looked great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He never drew a thing during Kelly's run which is what that hardcover collects.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

So you want a cover for a collection by a guy that had nothing to do with the series collected, and who only did 4 covers for an unrelated series over a decade later? I mean, I love Lee too, but c'mon.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 24, 2013

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been looking to finally read some Deadpool comics for the first time, this looks like the perfect opportunity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A question, if no one minds answering. I've recently been looking for the fourth volume of the Uncanny X-Men Masterworks collection and all I can find online is the deadly expensive Barnes and Noble version (the one with silver edges on the cover) rather than one of the more recent versions with the black cover. The fifth volume, collecting the Dark Phoenix saga, is readily available from most places I look for it but the fourth is not forthcoming. What's the story? Did it go out of print really quickly? Did they skip it over to get to the better known Dark Phoenix arc?

Thanks muchly.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I am selling a few things on Ebay right now including two of my custom hardcovers of U.S. 1 and Promethea.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sporklift1/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

A question, if no one minds answering. I've recently been looking for the fourth volume of the Uncanny X-Men Masterworks collection and all I can find online is the deadly expensive Barnes and Noble version (the one with silver edges on the cover) rather than one of the more recent versions with the black cover. The fifth volume, collecting the Dark Phoenix saga, is readily available from most places I look for it but the fourth is not forthcoming. What's the story? Did it go out of print really quickly? Did they skip it over to get to the better known Dark Phoenix arc?

Thanks muchly.

Looks like the last printing was in 2008 and it's long sold out at Diamond. The only available version is the softcover.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, I see. That's a little bit disappointing.

While I'm going to give a Barnes and Noble where I think I might have seen it a try, in the event that I'm not successful I've done a little investigating and a site called TFAW (Things From Another World, which I'd imagine is probably common knowledge to most folks who'd post here) which seems to have a backordering option. Can anyone fill me in on the quality of the site and this backordering business?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Right, I see. That's a little bit disappointing.

While I'm going to give a Barnes and Noble where I think I might have seen it a try, in the event that I'm not successful I've done a little investigating and a site called TFAW (Things From Another World, which I'd imagine is probably common knowledge to most folks who'd post here) which seems to have a backordering option. Can anyone fill me in on the quality of the site and this backordering business?

They'll only fill it if they can get new copies. That won't happen until they issue a new printing so you might be waiting a long while. If you have to have it just drop the $80 on one off Amazon.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Metal Loaf posted:

Thanks muchly.

Saw this on Ebay. TPB though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Masterworks-The-Uncanny-X-Men-Volume-4-2012-Paperback-/190877937531?pt=US_Childrens_Books&hash=item2c71362f7b

Used one on Amazon for $60.

I have tried back ordering long out of print books and it has always ended up being months of emails saying that they will get it to you as soon as it is in stock... then they just cancel the order after a while.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not gone on a really extensive eBay trawl yet; my only Internet access at the moment is through an intermittent WiFi connection on my phone and it tends to switch back to the mobile version of the site whenever I open a new page, which I think is a hassle to navigate.

I reckon I'm making more of it than it merits; something else will probably have my attention by the end of the week.

Thanks anyway, guys.

EDIT: Huh.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 30, 2013

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The EC Archives, fortunately, refuse to die. Dark Horse apparently has the license now and is working with Russ Cochran to continue the line. Tales from the Crypt Volume 04 and Vault of Horror Volume 03 are up first and they've given indications that the others may go back to print depending on the success of the others. I assume Dark Horse will put their own trade dress on these and the size/colors may change a bit, but I don't really care, I'm just glad they're continuing.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1444/dark-horse-publish-ec-library-tales-crypt-coming-h

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tato posted:

The EC Archives, fortunately, refuse to die. Dark Horse apparently has the license now and is working with Russ Cochran to continue the line. Tales from the Crypt Volume 04 and Vault of Horror Volume 03 are up first and they've given indications that the others may go back to print depending on the success of the others. I assume Dark Horse will put their own trade dress on these and the size/colors may change a bit, but I don't really care, I'm just glad they're continuing.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1444/dark-horse-publish-ec-library-tales-crypt-coming-h

Dark Horse is actually pretty good at maintaining an existing line. They did a 27th volume of the Spirit Archives when DC stopped and have picked up a few others collected series where they try to make them match existing editions.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also I guess Dark Horse is scrambling to get every possible Star Wars comic in a collection before they lose the license.

The first Legacy hardcover just came out and the next one is already out in September. It's really nice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

Also I guess Dark Horse is scrambling to get every possible Star Wars comic in a collection before they lose the license.

The first Legacy hardcover just came out and the next one is already out in September. It's really nice.

Yeah they've been in Star Wars panic mode since the Disney purchase was made public. They've doubled their SW trade output since then.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
So uh, sorry if this is old news but did anyone get something like 40 or so extra/duplicated pages in their copy of Swamp Thing vol. 2?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Get up, a get get get get down, DC's trade department is a joke in your town.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Dark Horse is actually pretty good at maintaining an existing line. They did a 27th volume of the Spirit Archives when DC stopped and have picked up a few others collected series where they try to make them match existing editions.

In fairness to DC (and obviously they don't deserve much), the 27th volume is material that they didn't have the rights to. Alan Moore wasn't going to let them reprint his story, for example. And considering volume 25 wraps up the "real" Spirit stories and volume 26 collects the daily newspaper strip, it's not like DC was doing a crappy job.

In terms of Dark Horse, I was surprised that they rounded out the Nexus archives. I figured that they wouldn't even reach the end of the First (as opposed to first) series given the lack of appeal once Steve Rude left but they went through with it. Now I wish they'd collect their own Nexus miniseries in those archive formats, especially since the Dude returned for a few of those.

While double checking to make sure they didn't announce volume 13 behind my back, I noticed that Amazon has a Nexus omnibus for the Kindle that has what would be roughly the first fifteen issues for just $12 (probably up through the stand alone issues before the extended storyline that introduced the Merk). Buy this brilliant series! Even if it doesn't come with the record for issue three of the Capital series. :v:

Edit: I found a description for the second digital omnibus for Nexus and it told me that there were fourteen issues in the first one and stops exactly where I thought it did. The second volume should take you through the point where Rude stopped doing the art every issue.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Just canceled my Animal Man Omnibus pre order from Amazon. IST had it for $5 cheaper, it is in stock now instead of next week and it won't arrive loose in a refrigerator box banged up to all hell. Even though I have incentives to order from Amazon (Prime and a Rewards card) I haven't ordered comics from them in months besides the occasional bargain book or from the marketplace. I really hope the rumors of IST's demise aren't true.