Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Don't know if it's already been mentioned/how many people care, but the mod which restores a bunch of Civ IV diplomatic options (including vassalge, map trading, and tech trading) is now available for BNW. Haven't had a chance to test it myself yet, but I know I found out about it from somebody mentioning it in the thread, so I figured I'd mention it myself now that it's back!

Found here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=141452526

I'm going to try this out. I hope it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Hover your cursor over the Friendly/Neutral/Guarded/Hostile text in the diplomacy dropdown or on their leader screen.

It seems to swing pretty wildly based on some factors that aren't mentioned there, though, so be aware of that (one big one is the size of your army. If you go from having a small army to a big one you'll find that all of a sudden that civs that hated your guts all want to be your best friend now).

BigRoman posted:

Speaking of diplomacy, I am terrible at it. Why do civs refuse to trade luxuries with me on a 1:1 2:1 or even 3:1 ratio? They always want like 3 luxuries and a strategic resource and gpt for one lousy luxury resource. Why do they go from offering open borders to denouncing me even though I haven't attacked one person. Is it because I'm the #2 guy? Is it because I did attack a different civ (they were hostile towards) twice? I just don't get why they are such dicks.

Do they only have one of said resource? AI civs will almost never trade away their last copy of a luxury resource, since it's generally a pretty stupid thing to do. If they have more than one, but just don't like you, they're just doing it to be dicks about it.

As for why their opinion of you might suddenly change, see above. There are a lot of hidden factors that different personalities will consider important. Also, how you wage war influences them a lot as well. Capturing cities generally makes them think you're a warmonger, even if the other civ started the war (I think taking back your own cities if they've been captured isn't counted against you though). Refusing peace offers will also make them think that.

Unrelated, I got an extremely interesting start playing as Carthage on a huge continents map. Here is a strategic view image of the peninsula I started on:

It's completely surrounded by water except for that little bit at the top left. I started sharing it with Assyria but they encountered several freak elephant accidents and decided to stop existing, leaving me alone on this little hunk of land. Here's where it gets interesting:

This is the only way to access said peninsula by land. Yes, that's a mountain behind the citadel, meaning that I am literally the only civilization in the game that can access my territory directly. The only other option is by embarking around the mountain or coming around the eastern side, both of which can be easily countered by even a decent navy (and I'm planning on doing a lot better than "decent").

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 17, 2013

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

BigRoman posted:

I know its already been said, but the G & K & BNW expansions actually make civ5 fun to play. I was really disappointed with vanilla because I felt there were no good reasons not to immediately conquer everyone you could (aside from happiness penalties). Now I actually want to make allies and think of diplomacy.

Speaking of diplomacy, I am terrible at it. Why do civs refuse to trade luxuries with me on a 1:1 2:1 or even 3:1 ratio? They always want like 3 luxuries and a strategic resource and gpt for one lousy luxury resource. Why do they go from offering open borders to denouncing me even though I haven't attacked one person. Is it because I'm the #2 guy? Is it because I did attack a different civ (they were hostile towards) twice? I just don't get why they are such dicks.

Civ's wont trade a luxury they only have 1 off unless its for a ridiculous amount. Make sure to trade for their doubles and be at least neutral and you will get a friendly even trade every time.

Also, The Cheshire Cat why did you even bother with that citadel?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

BigRoman posted:

Civs are extremely reluctant to trade the last copy of their luxuries, even if they're getting another luxury in return. If they have two or more copies, you can usually get a 1:1 trade unless they hate you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Davincie posted:

Civ's wont trade a luxury they only have 1 off unless its for a ridiculous amount. Make sure to trade for their doubles and be at least neutral and you will get a friendly even trade every time.

Can you trade their last luxury if you're trading a last luxury of your own? If so, you could probably game it a bit by doing so with a resource that you have unimproved extra copies of in your empire, shortly before improving them.

...which now that I think about it, would be a great reason for the AI to be programmed to not want to make that trade.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

Also, The Cheshire Cat why did you even bother with that citadel?

Overkill.

Actual reason? I basically never use them since I can never figure out a good spot for them. This one seemed pretty obvious (The city is only there to serve as a canal to let my boats cross since there's some glaciers blocking the way down across the south, but it's not a bad location for a city anyway). I had a few great generals from my quick war with Assyria so I figured I'd just blow one of them on that rather than have them sit around for a while and eventually forget I have them.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can you trade their last luxury if you're trading a last luxury of your own? If so, you could probably game it a bit by doing so with a resource that you have unimproved extra copies of in your empire, shortly before improving them.

...which now that I think about it, would be a great reason for the AI to be programmed to not want to make that trade.

I believe in general civs still won't make that trade, since they don't really care how lovely the deal is for YOU if it's lovely for them. They'll still want ridiculous amounts of stuff for it.

One thing I've noticed now is the AI seems a lot more willing to offer up cities as terms of surrender than they used to. They still don't seem to trade them for anything, ever, but at least they're aware that they CAN, now.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 17, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Starting a Duel-size map with 22 civs is some silly poo poo. Everyone is packed in like sardines, half the civs don't even get a city. Gotta grab that land! I started as Shoshone to ensure I had a good hunk of land, of course. :getin:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tsurupettan posted:

Starting a Duel-size map with 22 civs is some silly poo poo. Everyone is packed in like sardines, half the civs don't even get a city. Gotta grab that land! I started as Shoshone to ensure I had a good hunk of land, of course. :getin:

This would be such an excellent LP.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tsurupettan posted:

If you capture another civ's settler before they even get to found a city, do all the other civs get mad at you for genociding that player?

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I believe in general civs still won't make that trade, since they don't really care how lovely the deal is for YOU if it's lovely for them. They'll still want ridiculous amounts of stuff for it.

It's still baffling to me. Like, trading away the last copy of your luxury resource takes 4 happiness away, but if I'm offering 500 gold and you have 50 happiness, that's a really good trade. If I'm offering 2 luxuries to replace your lost luxury, that's a great deal. Instead, they want literally every luxury you have and also most of your gold.

I'm really surprised they haven't added a diplomacy penalty for declaring war on a civ shortly after making a bunch of deals. Offering a billion GPT for a civ to go to war with every other civ just before you DOW them makes it pretty much impossible for the AI to ever win (especially on Pangea) since it breaks their research agreements, ruins their diplomacy for the rest of the game and likely gets them nuked repeatedly. Even better, get them to DOW every other civ, denounce them, then get another civ to pay you to go to war with the now-maligned civ.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So I decided to try Theodora. Went Tradition and Piety, and timed it about right to have my religion set up about the time my Reformation was unlocked. I have 4 coastal cities, and all of them are producing 6 tourism because they each have a mosque, pagoda and cathedral. It's roughly 1050 AD and I'm already starting to overtake my nearest neighbors, Bismarck and Shaka Zulu. Shaka got close to taking my capitol because I was running too light on military, but the timely purchase of some walls and compound bowmen staved that off. Now we're bros.

I haven't made a great work yet at all, and very few wonders, but I have a huge leg up on tourism. Just about to found city 5, and that will be the last nice space on this continent that isn't taken by my expansionist warmongering neighbors. I guess I'll try to get Shaka to help me dismantle Bismarck or something.

I'm getting better at this game, but I'm still on Prince.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you capture another civ's settler before they even get to found a city, do all the other civs get mad at you for genociding that player?

I have no idea, I should try this next time. I want to do this with the Huns and see how rapidly I can swallow the map.

I am really appreciating the Shoshone's defensive bonus, though. Coupled with things like Himeji castle and/or a Great General makes you pretty hard to break. Didn't pick up Defender of the faith as I was worried I'd spread it. Didn't have to worry too much, as a great prophet wandered over to my holy city and scoured my religion off the face of the earth.

e: I just tried this on my Huns game. Montezuma started adjacent to me, so I plopped my city down, grabbed his settler for a free worker and drove him off. Nobody seems mad at me.

e2: Now I grabbed 3 more Civ's settlers. I am a warmonger, since I started 3 more wars.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 17, 2013

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Really you just shouldn't be able to bribe AIs into DoWing people without having a joint war, just like the AI. Would solve the balance issues related to bribing-backstabbing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheGame posted:

It's still baffling to me. Like, trading away the last copy of your luxury resource takes 4 happiness away, but if I'm offering 500 gold and you have 50 happiness, that's a really good trade. If I'm offering 2 luxuries to replace your lost luxury, that's a great deal. Instead, they want literally every luxury you have and also most of your gold.

I'm really surprised they haven't added a diplomacy penalty for declaring war on a civ shortly after making a bunch of deals. Offering a billion GPT for a civ to go to war with every other civ just before you DOW them makes it pretty much impossible for the AI to ever win (especially on Pangea) since it breaks their research agreements, ruins their diplomacy for the rest of the game and likely gets them nuked repeatedly. Even better, get them to DOW every other civ, denounce them, then get another civ to pay you to go to war with the now-maligned civ.

Most gold trade exploits were solved by requiring a DoF for lump sums. There is a diplomatic penalty for declaring war on a friend so you can't do the old "trade luxuries for a bunch of gold then immediately backstab" trick so easily. You CAN still do it if you set up the deal right before the DoF expires, though. But that requires pretty specific timing. Also, if you and the other civ are the only two civs on a continent, then diplomacy penalties don't exactly matter if you can do your dirt before anyone else comes and finds out. I really like starts where I'm alone with just one or two other civs because it lets me be as big of a jerkass as I want in the early game.

I do wish there was a generalized deal breaking penalty, though. Certain active trades should definitely give an additional diplomacy hit if broken. Lump sum gold and war decelerations should be among those, obviously.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 17, 2013

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
On citadels and their use, I have encountered some clever placement by the AI. One time I was trying to take a coastal city, but it was nestled back in a little 2 tile bay and was mostly inaccessible by land due to mountains. The citadel was placed right where it needed to be to make anyone assaulting the city from land or sea take 30 damage per turn. Bunch of jerks.

TheHumanEyeball
Sep 5, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

Haha, I started a game like that in Civ 4. I wanted to see if you could culture flip capitals, so I overstuffed a duel map on prince, and turned off wars and all victory conditions other than domination. Turns out you can! (though I never got the very last one)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Actual reason? I basically never use them since I can never figure out a good spot for them. This one seemed pretty obvious (The city is only there to serve as a canal to let my boats cross since there's some glaciers blocking the way down across the south, but it's not a bad location for a city anyway). I had a few great generals from my quick war with Assyria so I figured I'd just blow one of them on that rather than have them sit around for a while and eventually forget I have them.

Use them to grab resources you can’t get otherwise, either because they’re in another civ’s culture borders or because they’re four tiles out from your city so you can’t buy the tile. Often oil, aluminium, or uranium will be just out of reach in the Arctic wastes, and it would be a shame to drop another city there just to get the resource.

LaserKing9
Jul 6, 2013

Tsurupettan posted:

The Shoshone are pretty sweet for early-game rapid expansion. Since I typically play an epic Earth sized map, I haven't really played any of the other new civs for BNW though. Any recommendations?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

TheHumanEyeball posted:

Haha, I started a game like that in Civ 4. I wanted to see if you could culture flip capitals, so I overstuffed a duel map on prince, and turned off wars and all victory conditions other than domination. Turns out you can! (though I never got the very last one)

I loved doing this except, for some reason, there was always that last drat city I could never flip and I don't know why. :smith:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

LaserKing9 posted:

The Shoshone are pretty sweet for early-game rapid expansion. Since I typically play an epic Earth sized map, I haven't really played any of the other new civs for BNW though. Any recommendations?

Definitely Poland. Its extra social policies get you a lot of wiggle room to try out new strategies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who’s played the American Civil War scenario so far?

How do I get more manpower? It’s not a resource listed on the map, and I don’t think it corresponds to population. Does it regenerate or is the five manpower I lost in a random event gone for good?

e: Apparently, each barracks gives one manpower.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 17, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

sarmhan posted:

Really you just shouldn't be able to bribe AIs into DoWing people without having a joint war, just like the AI. Would solve the balance issues related to bribing-backstabbing.

You can. "Declare war on..." is a trade option, unless it's been changed.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

No he doesn't want you to be able to bribe the AI into war, however this would destroy all diplomatic strategy. The AI also bribes other AI to war with people all the time, you can actually tell when they have been bribed if they are the only civ to DOW you and you have no negotiate peace option for 10 turns, happens fairly frequently on higher difficulties.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Right. The point is that it shouldn’t be a trade option. You should only be able to get an AI to declare war if you’re already at war with the target or if you declare at the same time as the friendly AI.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Way too tired, my bad.

jgamer
Oct 21, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

I did this, but as Monty. Did what Monty would do - declare war on everyone the moment you meet them. Fun times (and lots of ritual sacrifices) were had.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Marketing New Brain posted:

No he doesn't want you to be able to bribe the AI into war, however this would destroy all diplomatic strategy. The AI also bribes other AI to war with people all the time, you can actually tell when they have been bribed if they are the only civ to DOW you and you have no negotiate peace option for 10 turns, happens fairly frequently on higher difficulties.

But you can never negotiate peace within ten turns of a declaration?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Jedit posted:

But you can never negotiate peace within ten turns of a declaration?

I thought it was normally fewer turns, I could be wrong about that though.

DirtyOldDishrag
May 16, 2009
Brave New World now 30% off($19.99) on GMG with Voucher Code: GMG30-LY2G6-UKDYY

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/sid-meiers-civilization-v-brave-new-world-na/

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009
Is there a way to make sure I spawn close to my friend when we play multiplayer together?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:laugh:

There’s literally nothing Jefferson Davis can spend his gold on because I control most of the strategic resources.

e: I’d better not let him tech to Gatling guns, though, or he’ll buy like twenty of them.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 17, 2013

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there a way to skip viewing other civs' aerial attacks between turns? I have an allied city-state on the other side of the world and am forced to watch Mongolia attack a nearby Austrian city with 4 planes every turn. I don't mind watching other civs attacking each other but the aerial attacks in particular are so drawn out.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Well, this game is off to a great start. I started as the Shoshone, immediately built an extra pathfinder, and sent the little assholes off to take everyone's ruins. By the time the continent was picked clean, I had picked up two free techs and (Enough free culture to amount to) two free social policies. The techs were things I needed, mining and horseback writing, which let me put my research towards writing and then calendar. Having a free worker before turn 10 let me start chopping trees to rush the Great Library while I filled out my tech tree with other essentials. I used the Great Library to unlock philosophy, of course, and immediately started building the National College.

Having the National College built before turn 70 felt pretty good, so I pushed my luck and started building the Oracle. While that was being built, I researched Drama and Poetry. Oracle finished the same turn as I hit 270 culture. Thanks to the free culture my pathfinders turned up, this allowed me to finish Liberty and rush a Great Engineer.

Turn 81 and I have Liberty finished, the Great Library, and the Parthenon. Now to pump out a few archers so I don't die horribly, then build my writer's guild to start filling my Great Library with some Great Works.

e: I have enough mines to build 1 archer per turn. :supaburn:

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 17, 2013

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Is there any oniine resource with an in-depth explanation of game mechanics? I just went Autocracy with Venice against my friend who went Freedom and I got a big happiness penalty from it, I'm assuming because his cultural or tourism output is much higher than mine.

EDIT:
AI aggression seems to be pretty strange though, we were playing with 2 AI players and they never seemed to interact with us. Pacal just rushed theology and was subsequently destroyed by me and my friend and poland seems perfectly happy to share it's little archipelago with me and never seems to interact with either of us ever, except for spreading religion to me.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 17, 2013

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

kanonvandekempen posted:

Is there any oniine resource with an in-depth explanation of game mechanics? I just went Autocracy with Venice against my friend who went Freedom and I got a big happiness penalty from it, I'm assuming because his cultural or tourism output is much higher than mine.

EDIT:
AI aggression seems to be pretty strange though, we were playing with 2 AI players and they never seemed to interact with us. Pacal just rushed theology and was subsequently destroyed by me and my friend and poland seems perfectly happy to share it's little archipelago with me and never seems to interact with either of us ever, except for spreading religion to me.

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_V

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

This is international right?

Whats the likelihood that BNW goes on sale on steam this summer? cause is getting hard to pass up.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Khagan posted:

Whats the likelihood that BNW goes on sale on steam this summer? cause is getting hard to pass up.

You already missed out on Steam 'accidentally' putting it up for sale.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Khagan posted:

I would bet the first time you'll see a modest sale on Steam will be the winter sale. The GMG offer is extremely good if it works.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

That's like OCC meets The Hunger Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I passed a city-state embargo to plunge Rome (who were already embargoed) into an inescapable debt. After this I noticed that 5 of the other 6 civs have also plunged into negative triple-figure debts. I assume it's because they're not trading with each other, but why not? Do they simply not trade with civs they've denounced as a matter of principle?

• Locked thread