Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
I got Civ5+BNW on the steam sale and just had my first real game. Its good but theres some things that are pretty odd. Like how the Inca's declared war on me and while the army he fielded was quite impressive, and technologically more advanced than mine, his attack was hilariously inept (he didnt even bring siege engines) and I managed to kill most of his army. The weird thing is after we made peace he retained his previously "Friendly" attitude towards me. If I hover above that status in the diplo screen with him it says " We were previously at war but apparently you didnt mind " as one of the factors. What the hell is this, I do very much mind :argh:

Also had some questions:
Is there a way for me to display what has just been finished after I finished building something? With 10 cities going sometimes I forget what I ordered to build..
Kind of related: If you decide on building an empire (many cities), you pretty much condemn yourself to being technologically retarded right? Or is there a point where many cities actually become better than few cities in terms of tech speed?
Venice puppeted a city state right next to me. Can I free them if I conquer it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.
Does the game do anything at turn 250 that isn't... normal? I'm not really sure what I'm getting at. I've got a game going and it seems to be freezing up as soon as I turn over to turn 250; after the first time it happened, I reloaded the last autosave (ten turns back) and again, once I passed over to turn 250, freezing up.

Any thoughts? I'm not playing with any mods enabled or anything.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Jedit posted:

But you can never negotiate peace within ten turns of a declaration?

Ok, I just checked to make sure I wasn't crazy, and whenever you bribe or go to war together, the declare peace button is greyed out, otherwise you can have 1 turn wars, although the AI will probably not let you.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

lalaland posted:

I got Civ5+BNW on the steam sale and just had my first real game. Its good but theres some things that are pretty odd. Like how the Inca's declared war on me and while the army he fielded was quite impressive, and technologically more advanced than mine, his attack was hilariously inept (he didnt even bring siege engines) and I managed to kill most of his army. The weird thing is after we made peace he retained his previously "Friendly" attitude towards me. If I hover above that status in the diplo screen with him it says " We were previously at war but apparently you didnt mind " as one of the factors. What the hell is this, I do very much mind :argh:

I'm pretty sure the status is "you have been at war in the past but they do not seem to hold it against you". It's not about whether you mind, its saying they don't mind (but they could be lying).

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Reveilled posted:

I'm pretty sure the status is "you have been at war in the past but they do not seem to hold it against you". It's not about whether you mind, its saying they don't mind (but they could be lying).

(They're almost always lying.)

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

(They're almost always lying.)

Unless it's Denmark.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Beamed posted:

You already missed out on Steam 'accidentally' putting it up for sale.

They gave me a copy of Civ IV to gift away because I pre-purchased BNW. I already own Civ IV + expansions. I in fact own them twice because I think I got them again for having pre-purchased 5. So now I can own the base Civ IV 3 times!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Unless it's Denmark.

Denmark reminds me of the Orcs in Skyrim. Beat the poo poo out of their leader with your bare hands; earn their respect.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I tried the 22-civs-in-duel again as Huns last night.

I started off strong, but I burnt out fast around 200 AD. I was able to pick off my immediate 'competition' who started adjacent to me by settling my city and turning his settler into a worker. That caused no anger amongst the other civs because nobody had even talked/acted yet. However, my follow up of 'capture 4 more civ's settlers, sell the excess workers' gave me Warmonger status. Not surprised.

While picking off Settlers I worked quickly toward Battering Rams and built one, along with a second warrior while the first was being built. No real need for a scout on this map, so why not more warriors? Right after battering rams I got started on archers, then toward the wheel for horse archers. Around this time I was asked to declare on Venice, so I did, and promptly walked over and caved his face in, making his city a puppet.

Everyone started denouncing me at this point, so I went straight north and devoured England, then built a second battering ram and did it to Poland to the north, turning them into puppets along the way. Obviously, there's no razing to do here as you can't raze capital cities.

After I took Poland I noticed something: Barbarians were spawning, in loving DROVES. There were no camps on the map, but groups of 2-3 barbarians would constantly spawn in my territory. I wasted a lot of time killing them with my army, and lost a lot from the destroyed upgrades. As soon as I finished the barbarians though, the game was essentially over: The remaining civs I hadn't devoured all declared war on me at once.

I think the biggest downfall was that I puppeted the other cities rather than annexing them and saying 'gently caress happiness', given that even puppeting them I couldn't achive positive happiness. Why annex them? Because I could've kept churning out more units and swallowing the map up, doing my best to keep the gold flowing. It might have also helped if I didn't turn into a warmonger from turn 5 by capping all the settlers I could.

On another note, it is semi-disappointing with all the civs who don't even get land. I might bump the map size up one notch, which should give everyone a chance to get a city. That also might let city states actually spawn. Before that though I'm going to put it on Archipelago and see what happens. :getin: I've been playing on maps which are 90% land (such as great plains) for this setup.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

I tried the 22-civs-in-duel again as Huns last night.

I started off strong, but I burnt out fast around 200 AD. I was able to pick off my immediate 'competition' who started adjacent to me by settling my city and turning his settler into a worker. That caused no anger amongst the other civs because nobody had even talked/acted yet. However, my follow up of 'capture 4 more civ's settlers, sell the excess workers' gave me Warmonger status. Not surprised.

While picking off Settlers I worked quickly toward Battering Rams and built one, along with a second warrior while the first was being built. No real need for a scout on this map, so why not more warriors? Right after battering rams I got started on archers, then toward the wheel for horse archers. Around this time I was asked to declare on Venice, so I did, and promptly walked over and caved his face in, making his city a puppet.

Everyone started denouncing me at this point, so I went straight north and devoured England, then built a second battering ram and did it to Poland to the north, turning them into puppets along the way. Obviously, there's no razing to do here as you can't raze capital cities.

After I took Poland I noticed something: Barbarians were spawning, in loving DROVES. There were no camps on the map, but groups of 2-3 barbarians would constantly spawn in my territory. I wasted a lot of time killing them with my army, and lost a lot from the destroyed upgrades. As soon as I finished the barbarians though, the game was essentially over: The remaining civs I hadn't devoured all declared war on me at once.

I think the biggest downfall was that I puppeted the other cities rather than annexing them and saying 'gently caress happiness', given that even puppeting them I couldn't achive positive happiness. Why annex them? Because I could've kept churning out more units and swallowing the map up, doing my best to keep the gold flowing. It might have also helped if I didn't turn into a warmonger from turn 5 by capping all the settlers I could.

On another note, it is semi-disappointing with all the civs who don't even get land. I might bump the map size up one notch, which should give everyone a chance to get a city. That also might let city states actually spawn. Before that though I'm going to put it on Archipelago and see what happens. :getin: I've been playing on maps which are 90% land (such as great plains) for this setup.

Guessing your happiness dropped below -10 which is a fast way to game over.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Guessing your happiness dropped below -10 which is a fast way to game over.

It dropped to -15 or so but I was able to get it up to about -6. Wasn't able to ever make it positive again, though. Given that you can't raze capitals, I can't see a viable way of doing this without raking in tons of unhappiness. Otherwise I'd just raze and move on and the happiness hit would be over fast since the cities are small early on.

Civs that are a bit more 'patient' do better in this setup.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The AI intentionally builds fleets now in Brave New World instead of sending naval units to die one at a time.

That’s cool and all, but I’ve wiped the floor with one fleet while another one chilled maybe twenty hexes away.

When reinforcements didn’t arrive, I naïvely assumed that their second fleet was moving to engage my second fleet, but no, they were just sitting in the middle of the ocean while my battleships pounded away.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
BNW is a great game and all, but the Civ series has always been let down by its AI. It just can't be clever enough with current technology I guess. I recommend sacrificing 7 or 8 hours and playing online.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
For the first time ever, I got closed out of founding a religion, even a crappy one. The other two civs on my continent have holy cities, though, and I'm planning on mopping up both of them. If I conquer their holy cities, will it be possible for me to enhance/reform their religions, even though I didn't actually found them?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Speaking of -10 happiness and spawning barbarian rebels, do you think it might be a cool way to pick up a few quick policies in the beginning? You could unlock Honor and/or play as Montezuma and murder your way to enlightenment!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thehumandignity posted:

For the first time ever, I got closed out of founding a religion, even a crappy one. The other two civs on my continent have holy cities, though, and I'm planning on mopping up both of them. If I conquer their holy cities, will it be possible for me to enhance/reform their religions, even though I didn't actually found them?

No, and you don’t inherit their founder beliefs, either.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

Speaking of -10 happiness and spawning barbarian rebels, do you think it might be a cool way to pick up a few quick policies in the beginning? You could unlock Honor and/or play as Montezuma and murder your way to enlightenment!

Monty can just cultivate some barbarian camps and have an endless supply of culture as is. Kind of replicates the Aztecs keeping a few unconquered neighbors around so they'd have someone to go invade and take slaves from.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Platystemon posted:

No, and you don’t inherit their founder beliefs, either.

Oh well. As long as I'm going for an Order-Culture victory I guess I can make my civ a Maoist Utopia. :commissar:

Mwip57
Aug 30, 2009

lalaland posted:

Also had some questions:
Is there a way for me to display what has just been finished after I finished building something? With 10 cities going sometimes I forget what I ordered to build..
Kind of related: If you decide on building an empire (many cities), you pretty much condemn yourself to being technologically retarded right? Or is there a point where many cities actually become better than few cities in terms of tech speed?
Venice puppeted a city state right next to me. Can I free them if I conquer it?

Wide empires (lots of cities) need to specialize their cities. If you build every building in every city you will be behind tall (few but large cities) in population per city and science improvements which will make you tech retarded. However, if you take a few of your cities and specialize them into science with schools, observatories, jungles w/universities, etc, you can easily match or exceed a tall civ in science.

Whenever you conquer a previously conquered city you will have the option to return it to it's original owner.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Heart Attacks posted:

Does the game do anything at turn 250 that isn't... normal? I'm not really sure what I'm getting at. I've got a game going and it seems to be freezing up as soon as I turn over to turn 250; after the first time it happened, I reloaded the last autosave (ten turns back) and again, once I passed over to turn 250, freezing up.

Any thoughts? I'm not playing with any mods enabled or anything.

Could be those top 10 popups. I can never remember what the schedule is specifically, but they happen on the exact same turns every game. I'd try verifying your game files to make sure something didn't get messed up.

It could also just be a random bug, and since the game would likely play out the same way after a reload, it's just happening again.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Okay that makes sense. Probably misread it :downs:

Mwip57 posted:

Wide empires (lots of cities) need to specialize their cities. If you build every building in every city you will be behind tall (few but large cities) in population per city and science improvements which will make you tech retarded. However, if you take a few of your cities and specialize them into science with schools, observatories, jungles w/universities, etc, you can easily match or exceed a tall civ in science.

Whenever you conquer a previously conquered city you will have the option to return it to it's original owner.

Agh "build every building" in all my cities was exactly what I was doing. I'll specialize from now on.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
What happens if Venice loses Venice but has a puppeted city? Does the puppet become the new capital and allow full control of production? If they retake Venice does it become a puppet?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

nimby posted:

They gave me a copy of Civ IV to gift away because I pre-purchased BNW. I already own Civ IV + expansions. I in fact own them twice because I think I got them again for having pre-purchased 5. So now I can own the base Civ IV 3 times!

I had it pre-ordered as well, but never received my copy of Civ 4. Now I only have one copy of Civ4+Expansions. :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fintilgin posted:

What happens if Venice loses Venice but has a puppeted city? Does the puppet become the new capital and allow full control of production? If they retake Venice does it become a puppet?

The puppet becomes the new capital but remains a puppet. If they retake Venice I think it becomes a puppet, but I’m basing that off what happened when I liberated the capital for them. Perhaps if they take it back themselves that doesn’t happen.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Monty can just cultivate some barbarian camps and have an endless supply of culture as is. Kind of replicates the Aztecs keeping a few unconquered neighbors around so they'd have someone to go invade and take slaves from.

The problem with that is the other Civs and City States keep clearing my camps!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mwip57 posted:

Whenever you conquer a previously conquered city you will have the option to return it to its original owner.

City states purchased by Austria's UA or Venice's UU can't be liberated, however. They're registered as Austrian or Venetian settled cities.

Mwip57
Aug 30, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

City states purchased by Austria's UA or Venice's UU can't be liberated, however. They're registered as Austrian or Venetian settled cities.

Wow I did not know that. Can you raze them? This is potentially the solution to all those city states being built in stupid locations that would be better if they were removed!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

Civ's wont trade a luxury they only have 1 off unless its for a ridiculous amount. Make sure to trade for their doubles and be at least neutral and you will get a friendly even trade every time.

Also, The Cheshire Cat why did you even bother with that citadel?

In one of my first BNW test runs I had an AI accept a 1:1 trade for a resource they only had 1 of, but I haven't managed to replicate it. It's possible they were receiving a copy from somewhere else? I also had a DoF with them at the time which might have contributed, although I've tried the same thing with other DoF partners and it hasn't worked again so far.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Pvt.Scott posted:

The problem with that is the other Civs and City States keep clearing my camps!

Yeah, I think leaving camps uncleared only works on lower difficulties. On Immortal, the AI gets such a large army in the early game that barb whack-a-mole is a race. Your best bet is to go honor so you get a notification when a camp spawns, and hope to get there first.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Beamed posted:

You already missed out on Steam 'accidentally' putting it up for sale.

It was called an accident? Crap, I was holding out to purchase it during the daily deal, but if it doesn't show up again I guess I am out of luck.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Deofuta posted:

It was called an accident? Crap, I was holding out to purchase it during the daily deal, but if it doesn't show up again I guess I am out of luck.

It was $21.09 or close, IIRC, so the $19.99 deal by GMG is better anyway.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Beamed posted:

It was $21.09 or close, IIRC, so the $19.99 deal by GMG is better anyway.

True enough. Call me a sucker but I've been pretty enamored with the trading cards on steam and that has managed to keep me from purchasing better deals on GMG and amazon during the summer sale. I'll probably just jump on GMG for this particular sale though.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

snoremac posted:

I passed a city-state embargo to plunge Rome (who were already embargoed) into an inescapable debt. After this I noticed that 5 of the other 6 civs have also plunged into negative triple-figure debts. I assume it's because they're not trading with each other, but why not? Do they simply not trade with civs they've denounced as a matter of principle?

I simply cannot figure out how the AI prioritizes trade routes. In my last game I knew al-mansur had 4 trade routes available to him. He had the techs, and he built petra. Me and 1 city state were his only options for trade. We had open borders, so I stuck a scout in there to watch what he did, and he sent 1 caravan to the city state, and that was it. He was in negative gpt, but he absolutely would not send a caravan to me despite us being 100% bros. It wasn't until much, much later that he finally did.

It seems like no matter how friendly I am with a civ, no matter how rich or diverse my cities are, no matter how much science they'll get from me, they just won't send trade routes to me unless they absolutely have to, and even then they often don't.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Deofuta posted:

True enough. Call me a sucker but I've been pretty enamored with the trading cards on steam and that has managed to keep me from purchasing better deals on GMG and amazon during the summer sale. I'll probably just jump on GMG for this particular sale though.

Play Civ 5 with BNW on Steam, get trading cards just for playing, Maximum Profit. :black101:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Gabriel Pope posted:

In one of my first BNW test runs I had an AI accept a 1:1 trade for a resource they only had 1 of, but I haven't managed to replicate it. It's possible they were receiving a copy from somewhere else? I also had a DoF with them at the time which might have contributed, although I've tried the same thing with other DoF partners and it hasn't worked again so far.

Was it the Dutch? Cause William will do that when friendly.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Deofuta posted:

GMG is steam-compatible (they give you a Steam activation key). Not sure about Amazon, but I'm pretty sure any version of Civ V you get that's not through the Apple/Mac Store is gonna be steam-compatible.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Cowcatcher posted:

Yeah, because he nets 6 happiness out of that resource that he trades (keeps 2 from trading his last/only copy and the 4 he gets from you) instead of the 4 he'd get from keeping it. It seems like he's being your bro, but William is only looking after William.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowcatcher posted:

Nope. I think it was Portugal? I suppose it would be thematic if Portugal was more open with luxury trading, even if they don't get a mechanical benefit the way the Netherlands do.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

GMG is steam-compatible (they give you a Steam activation key). Not sure about Amazon, but I'm pretty sure any version of Civ V you get that's not through the Apple/Mac Store is gonna be steam-compatible.

Civ 5 is Steamworks. Everywhere you get the game from will need to go through Steam. Even Mac(I think? Not sure, crazy people use Macs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Beamed posted:

Civ 5 is Steamworks. Everywhere you get the game from will need to go through Steam. Even Mac(I think? Not sure, crazy people use Macs)

At least I can play Civ 5 lying down. :colbert:

• Locked thread