Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Wait... what is the stone for? Is it a special stone of some sort, or can I just grab some rocks from the river?
It's pumice, for exfoliation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

John Big Booty posted:

It's pumice, for exfoliation.

Now explain the three seashells.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

prefect posted:

Now explain the three seashells.

http://www.i-mockery.com/shorts/three-seashells/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that last line about finding it in the trash and seeing a new one in the shower.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Wait... what is the stone for? Is it a special stone of some sort, or can I just grab some rocks from the river?

You know stone-washed jeans? It's a similar process, but it's for soft skin.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm ashamed to admit that I forwarded this to one of my lady friends and she laughed at me.

It turns out that my humble guess that it was an exfoliating thingamajig was only partially correct.

It's used to remove dead skin from the feet, which is rather "unsightly when you're wearing heels or sandals"

Related, I have an older sister and I scraped one of those on my forearm once while suffering the exact same bout of curiosity as the article's boyfriend character. I clearly remember thinking "what the gently caress is this thing for [sister]? It hurts!"

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I still have fond memories of Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over' because I passed it around to some friends a few years back, and they were despairing and angsting before they even noticed it was published in January of 2000, which just made the whole thing even darker and more depressing for them.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

People are weird.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Have you ever seen JK Rowling and Newt Gingrich in the same room at the same time? Time will tell.

A sounds cool.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I love people who say "Oh yeah, it's satire but we should dig deeper to find the truth."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Toad on a Hat posted:

I love people who say "Oh yeah, it's satire but we should dig deeper to find the truth."
J.K. Rowling being Newt Gingrich isn't even satire, it's just something that's hilariously absurd.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

J.K. Rowling being Newt Gingrich isn't even satire, it's just something that's hilariously absurd.

I dunno, have they ever been in the same room together? :tinfoil:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's satire to the extent that Gingrich would absolutely be the kind of person to ghostwrite books about wizards and expect them to get as big as Harry Potter ended up being.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Gingrich does write (or at least put his name on) fiction, though.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Ofaloaf posted:

I still have fond memories of Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over' because I passed it around to some friends a few years back, and they were despairing and angsting before they even noticed it was published in January of 2000, which just made the whole thing even darker and more depressing for them.

I live in Cleveland. Temperatures here have been brutal recently, and in two of the past three days my university has shut down a lot of non-essential equipment at the request of power grid operators. The intention is to avoid another massive blackout like the one in 2003 (which Great Lakes' Blackout Stout is named for, incidentally).

I've been here for 9 years and have never received a "shutting stuff down so the power grid stays up" email before this week. 2012 Was Once Considered Hottest Year On Record, Man In 2024 Remembers Wistfully came to mind :stare:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Ofaloaf posted:

When you factor in everything that makes things hilarious and dark and depressing at the same time, this is very likely the finest article the Onion has published. Terrifyingly prescient.

E - this is another one of my faves thats not funny in a joke sense but written in a poetic way that I enjoy - http://www.theonion.com/articles/walmart-opens-store-in-winesburg-ohio,316/

Supreme Allah has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Jul 18, 2013

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Supreme Allah posted:

E - this is another one of my faves thats not funny in a joke sense but written in a poetic way that I enjoy - http://www.theonion.com/articles/walmart-opens-store-in-winesburg-ohio,316/

I'm so glad you posted that one! I've never seen it before, and I have a friend whose favorite book is Winesburg, Ohio. She'll get a kick out of that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm ashamed to admit that I forwarded this to one of my lady friends and she laughed at me.

It turns out that my humble guess that it was an exfoliating thingamajig was only partially correct.

It's used to remove dead skin from the feet, which is rather "unsightly when you're wearing heels or sandals"

Related, I have an older sister and I scraped one of those on my forearm once while suffering the exact same bout of curiosity as the article's boyfriend character. I clearly remember thinking "what the gently caress is this thing for [sister]? It hurts!"

I laughed at the article because the idea of this common item becoming a household mystery. Its basically a less gross ped-egg since you just wash off the skin particles. :barf: I'm not sure how you miss it while growing up though, I thought everyone had one. And yes, the last line was amazing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I think my favorite articles are the ones that are about complete gently caress ups, like these.

Attractive Girl's Union Refuses to Enter Into Talks With Mike Greenman

I like to think this is what Nice Guys actually believe.

Or this one about a living quantum gently caress up.

Scientists Baffled by Man's Incredible Ability to gently caress Up Every Time

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

http://www.theonion.com/articles/schedule-for-2013-san-diego-comiccon,33158/

Day 3: LeVar Burton debuts homemade film Roots In Space

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Day 2: San Diego Chargers coaching staff holds open tryouts to try to find unknown talent

That might not be a bad idea for them at this point.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Oh this one is just fantastic

Wealthy Swiss Tourist Offers U.S. Government $87 Billion To Buy Indiana's Populace For Just One Night

quote:

The banking magnate then demonstrated the seriousness of his proposition to government leaders by opening a leather briefcase to reveal several billion Swiss francs. The heavily indebted U.S. government is widely expected to accept Krieger's offer and use the proceeds to fund critical job creation and infrastructure renewal projects. However, White House sources reported that President Obama has privately expressed conflicted emotions, admitting that the thought of Indiana with someone else was "tearing [him] up inside."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FBI Offers One Million Dollar Reward For Any Information on Cheetahs

"Like, if it really wanted to, could a cheetah cut down a tree with its claws? That would be so loving sweet."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Day 2: Something involving manga that is literally too sad to print

Also grats on finally featuring bronies in your headline image, Onion! :ranbowdash:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Detroit Sold For Scrap

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

FBI Offers One Million Dollar Reward For Any Information on Cheetahs

"Like, if it really wanted to, could a cheetah cut down a tree with its claws? That would be so loving sweet."
Sometimes it's not any fun to be the "random facts" guy/girl at work.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man Who Couldn't Defeat George W. Bush Attempting To Resolve Israel-Palestine Conflict

Seriously, this one is so wonderfully harsh.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ceiling Fan Transforms Apartment Without Air Conditioning Into Frosty Wonderland
This one cracked me up.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Only after reading it did I notice that it was published seven years ago.

From today: Report: Detroit Bankruptcy Might Transform City Into Some Kind Of Hellish, Depopulated Wasteland.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

As a lifelong Hoosier, this article really had me up until they quoted a senator with "...my fellow Indianans." Really?

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

They had some great nonsense articles today.

Not-That-Important Employee Snatches Best Donut In Box

quote:

“I’ve been busting my rear end here for eight years, and this rear end in a top hat comes in off the street and thinks he’s automatically entitled to whatever donut he can get his hands on? He hasn’t earned that right, not by a long shot.”

“Who the hell does he think he is?” Lindquist added. “The CE-loving-O of Sapphire Solutions?”

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Candlelight Vigil Held For Legal System

It's the first part of a video but drat if that isn't incisive.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I wish The Onion was more of these slice-of-life articles and focused less on the current events. It's just too predictable now, when something bad happens they do the very cynical "Everything is Bad" headline and eh. Gets old.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I wish The Onion was more of these slice-of-life articles and focused less on the current events. It's just too predictable now, when something bad happens they do the very cynical "Everything is Bad" headline and eh. Gets old.

We do need more "area man" type articles. Along those lines, this has always been a favorite of mine

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fancy-man-enjoys-tea,2317/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Febreeze posted:

We do need more "area man" type articles. Along those lines, this has always been a favorite of mine

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fancy-man-enjoys-tea,2317/

Holy hell that was a fun read:

quote:

On this occasion, Baumer removed the tea bag from the dainty brew and added one dollop of honey made by his friends the honeybees and a splash of milk straight from his mama's precious teat. But even with these additions, the tea was still too hot for Princess Jason's sensitive mouth, causing him to softly blow on the beverage with his lips pursed together like a little rosebud.

Such seething contempt :allears:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

In that employee's defense that is the worst selection of donuts I've ever seen. You got three powdered plain craps, two non-powdered plain craps, one hunk of whiskey turd in the top right corner, two covered in some sort of coconut or other random nonsense. And even though the article mentions a cruller, I don't see any. There are two that might have some sort of jelly but I wouldn't be surprised if they were blueberry. If someone walked into my office with that box I would slap it out of their hands and stomp on it while they watched and cried like a little bitch.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Real good and funny post about donuts bro. :thumbsup:

This one isn't even an article but Outline Of Inhaler Clearly Visible In Comic-Con Attendee’s Lycra Bodysuit made me laugh

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
http://www.theonion.com/articles/tiny-advisor-who-lived-in-obamas-ear-dead-at-83,33172/

Okay, who spiked the Onion's water with the brown acid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

parque bynch posted:

As a lifelong Hoosier, this article really had me up until they quoted a senator with "...my fellow Indianans." Really?

If anyone would say it, it'd be Lugar.