Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Endorph posted:

They didn't. The original comic was by an author named Hiromu Arakawa, and the anime adaptation was by an animation studio named BONES. Square Enix's only contribution to FMA was that the original comic was serialized in their magazine.

Though they did do the tie-in JRPGs, which were actually kind of good. Not great or anything, but above what you'd expect from a licensed JRPG.

Oh, oops. I always saw it in the credits and just presumed they had a bigger hand in its creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Or you could probably skip it and play the much superior Baten Kaitos Origins. That's a game that is very difficult to hate.

Even if you think that, I don't believe in skipping around. Even if the sequel or prequel is better, you're missing out on the full experience.

Also I think having only a few playable party members can annoy people. It annoys me at any rate.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

Evil Fluffy posted:

S4's slow rear end ship was the worst thing ever.

I don't know if you know, but you can make it go faster with run button. Still obnoxious, especially with random encounters, but better than going slow rear end. I think I played though the game twice before I realized.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nickname Pending posted:

I don't know if you know, but you can make it go faster with run button. Still obnoxious, especially with random encounters, but better than going slow rear end. I think I played though the game twice before I realized.

Even knowing that it's still slow-rear end instead of colossal slow-rear end.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

Even if you think that, I don't believe in skipping around. Even if the sequel or prequel is better, you're missing out on the full experience.

Also I think having only a few playable party members can annoy people. It annoys me at any rate.

The game was better for it -- having only three playable characters allowed for a ton of depth and fantastic banter between characters instead of mostly sidelining everyone, which happens in most other RPGs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Even knowing that it's still slow-rear end instead of colossal slow-rear end.

The worst part about Suikoden 4's ship is that, while you got Viki and the Blinking Mirror pretty early on and could just visit everywhere in one go to teleport between them as the story required it, tons of events still had their triggering flag on the ocean map. Which, obviously, means that the best you could do 90% of the time was port to the nearest island and hoof it the slow way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Wait I have to walk all the way out of the Great Crystal and Girvawhatever after getting the treaty blade? There's NO fast travel way out like every other dungeon? Fuuuuck. Ignore me I'm stupid, thanks.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 18, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Final Fantasy Megathread: No Final Fantasy Discussion

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait I have to walk all the way out of the Great Crystal and Girvawhatever after getting the treaty blade? There's NO fast travel way out like every other dungeon? Fuuuuck. Ignore me I'm stupid, thanks.
Just wait until you come back for the postgame optional superboss. You're hoofing it that time.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

Fister Roboto posted:

Final Fantasy Megathread: No Final Fantasy Discussion

Didn't you hear? Every game is the worst. Therefore, we shall not talk about them anymore.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Endorph posted:

Though they did do the tie-in JRPGs, which were actually kind of good. Not great or anything, but above what you'd expect from a licensed JRPG.

Are you talking about Broken Angel an Curse of the Crimson Elixir? Because those games were badass as hell.

Actual topic: In FFD, the best attacker has Phantom Rush, the ninja's duel-wield and what else?
That's an insane amount of grinding needed (lvl 20 Dancer, lvl 17 Monk, lvl 20 ninja)
And how should I spread my Memorist stats? 100 in ATK, 100 in VIT and the rest in SPD?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

SSNeoman posted:

Actual topic: In FFD, the best attacker has Phantom Rush, the ninja's duel-wield and what else?

STR+ and SPD+ if you're going for pure offense, Backliner if you want them to be thicker than tissue paper.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The party members who can get Memorist can't get Backliner.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

1st AD posted:

The party members who can get Memorist can't get Backliner.

Nor Phantom Rush nor Dual Wield.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

I'm just slightly ahead of where you are right now actually. I went back into the great crystal to get some stuff and that whole area is so annoying, easily one of my least favorite dungeons in an FF game.

Earlier I said I was surprised at some of the wins I was able to eke out against tough bosses; Zeromus was a fairly close one that had me smiling when I got that last hit in, but Ultima, jeeeeez. I think it took me a solid half-hour and I had her at 50% health for most of it, just couldn't get out from under holyja and just scraping by keeping everyone alive and healthy. On top of that you have to pay attention to what attacks are locked/unlocked which screws with certain tactics... and out of total desperation I used the one move I have never used in any FF game until now: Gil Toss. 2 shots of that and done. VERY glad I didn't lose, as I did not want to spend another half hour or more.

I might attempt the last esper, but definitely not Yiaz or Omega.

While I've figured out a better way to get higher quickening changes, is it just me or are they actually not terribly effective overall? Or am I just not getting high enough chains?

I also just learned that there is a fishing game. Haha, there is so much stuff I would have missed otherwise.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elec posted:

While I've figured out a better way to get higher quickening changes, is it just me or are they actually not terribly effective overall? Or am I just not getting high enough chains?
They mostly suck. If you care about Sky Pirate's Den completion you have to get every finishing attack of them, which is somewhat difficult. Otherwise, they're great right when you first get them because they do reasonable damage, but as you move on they don't seem to scale at all with you and as a consequence aren't really worth your time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They mostly suck. If you care about Sky Pirate's Den completion you have to get every finishing attack of them, which is somewhat difficult. Otherwise, they're great right when you first get them because they do reasonable damage, but as you move on they don't seem to scale at all with you and as a consequence aren't really worth your time.

Yeah, if you wanna use the flashy moves and still be effective, espers are the way to go. Osmose MP from them when you summon one, they have an infinite amount.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Elec posted:

I also just learned that there is a fishing game. Haha, there is so much stuff I would have missed otherwise.

Quickening Changes are half luck, half skill at picking things fast. I'm normally able to get at least 10-15 unless my lucks being super lovely (Side note: What's the minimum amount of Randomly Selected Quickenings to get a concurrence. I don't mean the lowest number possible to get one (That's 3 level 1's) but what's the lowest number of them, not paying attention to level, that'll guarantee a concurrence?).

Also what level should I be for grabbing the extra espers like Adrammelech, Zalera, and Cúchulainn

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

Quickening Changes are half luck, half skill at picking things fast. I'm normally able to get at least 10-15 unless my lucks being super lovely (Side note: What's the minimum amount of Randomly Selected Quickenings to get a concurrence. I don't mean the lowest number possible to get one (That's 3 level 1's) but what's the lowest number of them, not paying attention to level, that'll guarantee a concurrence?).

Here's a table I found:

------------------------------------------------------
Concurrence - Quickening Level - Amount -
Inferno - Level 1 - 3 Times -
Cataclysm - Level 1 - 8 Times -
Torrent - Level 2 - 3 Times -
Wind Burst - Level 2 - 6 Times -
Whiteout - Level 3 - 5 Times -
*Ark Blast - Level 1/2/3 - 2 Times Each-
*Luminescence - Level 1/2/3 - 3 Times Each-
*Black Hole - Level 1/2/3 - 4 Times Each-

**EDIT*: Sorry, I guess I don't really understand the question, but the guide I pulled that from says that basically, if you're, say, surrounded by an annoyingly high-level group of enemies and you just want to deal a bunch of damage easily, it's best to aim for ark blast because then you just need 6 quickenings, 2 per level. So in terms of pure economy/power, that might be the best thing to aim for?

I usually just jam on the button that has the lowest level of quickening, or charge, if it's available. I get about 10-15 that way usually too.

quote:

Also what level should I be for grabbing the extra espers like Adrammelech, Zalera, and Cúchulainn

I got Adrammalech and Zalera around the same time; I THINK I beat them in the 30s but lots of that was sheer luck as Zalera uses level-based spells, and I would have been wiped out had I not had one person not at the same level as everyone else. I went for Cuchulainn in the 40s, but a good measure is if you can easily handle the enemies that show up in the sewers on the way to the fight. There is a mark down there too I had to come back later for as I couldn't handle it at the time.
Some of the other optional ones seem to be okay to tackle at the point you're at. I'm currently in the mid 50s.

Elec fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 18, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Are you talking about Broken Angel an Curse of the Crimson Elixir? Because those games were badass as hell.

Do you know if they're based on the original anime or the manga/Brotherhood?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

They take place in the 2003 anime's world (so no Xingese characters, Olivier, etc) but they're side-stories to the main plot, not straight up adaptations of canon.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

Huh, what? Why not?

It just doesn't offer that much more. Maybe I'm just really disillusioned by MMO's, but really, if you're already playing WoW, chances are you already have a community there and Final Fantasy XIV isn't going to break terribly new grounds for you.

EDIT: vvvvv Amazing, that is my problem with monthly fees too, even if it isn't that much. I think it is also why F2P MMO's are the style of market for profit.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 18, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just don't want to pay a monthly fee for a game again. For me paying a monthly fee for FF11 made me feel bad to play other games, because I "bought" FF11 already that month.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I just watched FFVII: Advent Children Complete again yesterday, and despite its rewrite of Cloud and Tifa's personalities, it assumes you finished playing the game yesterday and remember every detail of the plot. The film does a spectacularly bad job of introducing people who haven't played through the game in its entirety, despite recapping some major elements of the plot through prettier versions of the FMVs. We're told that a meteor almost crashed into the planet, Shinra built a giant cannon, and the lifestream did something to stop meteor, but nothing about what any of the characters involved actually did during those events.

The timeline is all over the place, with events hapenning out of order for nearly the entire film, and characters moving from one side of the planet to the other by truck or motorbike. There's a scene at the start of the movie of a helicopter descending into the Northern Crater, although you wouldn't know what the importance of the crater is, who is going in, or what they're looking for without having played the original game. It's explained later, but the scene goes on so long that they might as well have just cut it out, and just told the viewer that the Turks found the three Sephiroth dweebs there, while looking for the remains of Jenova.

Denzel is a completely pointless addition to the cast, added just to appeal to young boys. Tifa acts like Cloud's mother, as he avoids working or talking to his friends to mope about what a failure he was for saving the entire world. I thought Vincent had some genuinely funny lines in FFVII, and at least he knew that he was a buzzkill to everyone else, but here he has the most monotone, groaning conversation with Cloud in the entire series. At the very least, Marlene finds him a more emphatic character than Cloud.

I watched it with the English dub, and I'm aware that since they have to match the lipsync of the Japanese cast, unlike all the games after FFX, it's never going to sound entirely natural. Despite this, Reno (voiced by Quinton Flynn) manages to sound fantastic throughout the entire film. I'm thinking about which of this cast would work if they ever did a full voice over of the original Final Fantasy VII, with the personalities and dialogue from that game. Aeris(th) (Mena Suvari) sounds absolutely terrible, even though she has very few lines, because she has the same actress as in Kingdom Hearts II. She was played much better in KHI by Mandy Moore, but at least the more recent games, like Crisis Core and Dissidia use Andrea Bowen instead.

Cloud's actor, Steve Burton, could portray the original Cloud, since the lines that aren't delivered in monotone sound pretty good. Barret, Yuffie, Cid, Vincent and even Cait Sith all sound fine for me, and hearing Red XIII talk at the very end was surprising, but considering how formal he talked in FFVII, fit very well. However, the most intolerable characters were Kadaj (the boss of the Sephiroth gang), and Rufus Shinra, which sets a bad precedent since one of the very first scenes involves them talking for a long time.

I haven't played through the whole of Crisis Core in a long time, so I'd need to see how well some of these characters are portrayed in that game, but otherwise I's be very interested in playing a voiced Final Fantasy VII. I'd prefer if they left NPCs unvoiced, since that's where you always find the worst performances, and really drives the quality of a game's voice acting down, but some people really want a no compromises, AAA remake of the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kadaj's VA is Steve Staley who, coinciding with our SO talk earlier, voiced Fayt from Till the End of TIme. He was also one of the reasons I hated Fayt. The guy can absolutely not realistically emote to save his life and all his yells or cries come off as really whiny and forced.

However I thought he fit Kadaj well, because Kadaj is whiny and forced. He's juvenile and insane and Staley conveyed that well I thought.

Rufus was very bland though.

The problem with AC Vincent is his conversation with Cloud is all exposition. His purpose is solely to explain what the Bishie Brothers are all about and he knows this because...he's Batman I guess. They never do explain how he knows any of this.

Flynn's Reno had the benefit of being a joke character which probably is why he's the best performance in the film. Flynn is a great VA but he'd have to completely ditch how he was in AC to properly voice Reno as he was in FFVII proper.

The role I found most interesting was George Newbern as Sephiroth. They got Superman to voice Sephiroth. Coincidence? Perhaps.

As for the movie proper, it is indeed not very good, and Cloud's ability to go from the Forgotten Capital to Midgar via motorcycle still confuses the hell out of me. But I really just watch it for how pretty it is and the cool music.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

Agreed. As a stand-alone game it's quite good, but I can see picking it up after you were a big fan of the first one and being totally put off by the massive departure in style.

This is exactly what happened to me. I loved the original game's combat system, but couldn't stand it in this game. I felt like I had more strategic control in the first game which was much more fun.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Kadaj's VA is Steve Staley who, coinciding with our SO talk earlier, voiced Fayt from Till the End of TIme. He was also one of the reasons I hated Fayt. The guy can absolutely not realistically emote to save his life and all his yells or cries come off as really whiny and forced.

However I thought he fit Kadaj well, because Kadaj is whiny and forced. He's juvenile and insane and Staley conveyed that well I thought.

Rufus was very bland though.

The problem with AC Vincent is his conversation with Cloud is all exposition. His purpose is solely to explain what the Bishie Brothers are all about and he knows this because...he's Batman I guess. They never do explain how he knows any of this.

Flynn's Reno had the benefit of being a joke character which probably is why he's the best performance in the film. Flynn is a great VA but he'd have to completely ditch how he was in AC to properly voice Reno as he was in FFVII proper.

The role I found most interesting was George Newbern as Sephiroth. They got Superman to voice Sephiroth. Coincidence? Perhaps.

As for the movie proper, it is indeed not very good, and Cloud's ability to go from the Forgotten Capital to Midgar via motorcycle still confuses the hell out of me. But I really just watch it for how pretty it is and the cool music.

I thought Sephiroth sounded very good in the movie as well as in Crisis Core, but I had no idea he also played Superman. I suppose Kadaj had a suitable voice, but he just wasn't an interesting character, and not even as fun to watch as the other two fighting alongside each other.

Despite how many gameplay elements are present in the movie, such as limit breaks and materia, I don't know why they got the colour of the Bahamut materia wrong. It seems like a minor nitpick, but it looked like Kadaj was threatening Rufus with some generic materia, and it isn't until he actually uses it that you see it's one of the most deadly types in the game. If it was red, then you'd have known that he was threatening to summon a monster in Midgar Edge.

In the same scene, time is completely messed up. It starts right at the beginning of the movie, then it's continued right at the end. Kadaj summons Bahamut, and Cloud and his friends fight it. Then Rufus and Kadaj do nothing until Bahamut is defeated, at which point Rufus takes off his cover, reveals he has Jenova's remains, throws it off the building, jumps off, starts shooting the box, and in the meantime the Turks as well as Cloud on his motorcycle have managed to make their way there, despite Cloud being miles up in the sky defeating Bahamut just a few seconds before. :psyduck:

I forgot to mention the additions made to the new version. There's 30 minutes of new content, although a lot of that is given to Denzel, to justify his existence. The most major changes are present in the ending, where the battle against Sephiroth is greatly improved, with Cloud being put in much more danger than simply stabbed through the shoulder, and talks with Zack in the afterlife. There is also a surprise where Cloud gets shot after his victory over Sephiroth by Yazoo, despite his gun being shown to be destroyed earlier. None of the new injuries stop Cloud from being absolutely fine during the ending, though. There is also a lot more blood present, and the characters are shown to get slightly dirty during battle. Because only the new scenes and a few of the edited ones have been re-rendered, there's a difference in quality that's apparent, especially in the characters' hair. You need to be pretty close to the screen to notice it, though.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
I'm still listening to that FF6 OC Remix. It's pretty amazing.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Lightning Returns SDCC trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eO4q1QcY8U

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
drat it, this game looks to be just as horrible as the rest of the console games of the Fabulous Pretentious Latinous series of FFXIII. I really hope that Kung Fu Jesus and the Posse LP it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The opening in the club is one "Jackpot" away from being Lightning May Cry.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fantastic trailer. I can't wait!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Was Noel talking about Caius when he mentioned that ~greatest sin~ thing? I bet that fucker's still alive.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well, that and Etro.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

They are both separate side-stories, but if I had to say, CotCE was based on the events in the manga while taking the anime's setting.

Broken Angel is completely unrelated to the plot manga or the anime. The characters, backstory and general setting remain pretty much the same.

Curse of the Crimson Elixir follows the manga up to when Ed gets his arm busted up by Scar (who you actually fight! In a hopeless boss fight. If you drain all his health, you get a badass item and he compliments you in the following cutscene before blowing Ed's arm off as he normally would.) and then it veers off into its own story.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Level Slide posted:

Was Noel talking about Caius when he mentioned that ~greatest sin~ thing? I bet that fucker's still alive.

Probably. But what gets me about that, is that even if he was talking about that, Caius literally grabs Noel's sword and kills himself if you decide to spare him, so I guess the kill him option is canon.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Level Slide posted:

The FFXIII-2 Lightning DLC hints that he still is, and that he used the entirety of XIII-2 to set up the downfall of the Visible World. Who knows what role he'll have to play now, though.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 18, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gologle posted:

drat it, this game looks to be just as horrible as the rest of the console games of the Fabulous Pretentious Latinous series of FFXIII. I really hope that Kung Fu Jesus and the Posse LP it.

Haters gonn' hate, I think it looks amazing.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

precision posted:

Haters gonn' hate, I think it looks amazing.

I am excited, I just hope it actually plays well. There are no shortage of past actiony games by Square that are mediocre or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Failboattootoot posted:

I am excited, I just hope it actually plays well. There are no shortage of past actiony games by Square that are mediocre or bad.

The gameplay demos we've seen show that the Schemata system is basically the system we were introduced to in FFXIII's first trailer, with actions taking ATB segments. Couple that with the on-the-fly job changing from FFXIII-2 that you can now do between attacks and you have something very, very fluid.