Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Do any of you guys ever get the problem where the game has progressed to a point where you know you are going to win so you just stop and make a new game instead of finishing off the last hour or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

BadLlama posted:

Do any of you guys ever get the problem where the game has progressed to a point where you know you are going to win so you just stop and make a new game instead of finishing off the last hour or two?
Nope, because I am a massive achievement whore, and there's a huge amount of them to get that require beating a game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BadLlama posted:

Quite frequently. BNW has really helped with that, though, because games are way less "conclusively won" at 99% of points.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

nimby posted:

Do you mean with your initial settler, or after having gotten your initial city/cities done?

Initial settler, that's why I said it'd slow the start down. Sure it is probably a terrible idea, but hey, sometimes the worst ideas are the most fun! :haw:

e: If I was going to wait for initial cities I'd do another Civ for sure.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 18, 2013

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tsurupettan posted:

Initial settler, that's why I said it'd slow the start down. Sure it is probably a terrible idea, but hey, sometimes the worst ideas are the most fun! :haw:

I think I might try that. Marathon on a Huge Terra map, so the ~40 turns lost finding the new world and a decent place to settle aren't that big of a waste!

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
Has anyone had trouble with some achievements not unlocking? I finished a game with America, taking a science victory. Didn't get either of the achievements for it.

I did, however, get one for nuking Berlin.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Seejay posted:

Has anyone had trouble with some achievements not unlocking? I finished a game with America, taking a science victory. Didn't get either of the achievements for it.

I did, however, get one for nuking Berlin.

Yeah, a large number of achievements are bugged.

Was thinking about this earlier, I definitely wouldn't begrudge Firaxis if they came out with a WWII DLC scenario pack with the condition that they change up Germany, Japan, America, and Russia a bit.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Triskelli posted:

Yeah, a large number of achievements are bugged.

Was thinking about this earlier, I definitely wouldn't begrudge Firaxis if they came out with a WWII DLC scenario pack with the condition that they change up Germany, Japan, America, and Russia a bit.

Now that Poland is in the game there needs to be a Deluge scenario.

e: Well I can't move my settler without the game crashing. On loving turn 282. Thanks a lot, game.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I think the strangest thing about archaeology in this game is the fact that your immortal god-emperor thinks that digging up trinkets is in any way important.

"Oooooh! I found a bead in the ground from when I personally ordered this city to be razed! So exciting!"

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tsurupettan posted:

Hah, I completely forgot about inquisitors. Speaking of Terra maps, I was considering starting as the Polynesians and booking for the new world right away. Gotta live up to that legacy, you know? Slows down start a bit, but you get a completely unmolested continent all to yourself.

When you do this, come back and let me know if the AI makes any effort at all to colonize the new world. In vanilla and G&K they wouldn't even try outside of extremely rare circumstances so you'd basically have half the map to yourself which is no fun. :<

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

I think the strangest thing about archaeology in this game is the fact that your immortal god-emperor thinks that digging up trinkets is in any way important.

"Oooooh! I found a bead in the ground from when I personally ordered this city to be razed! So exciting!"

Yeah, they got images of the actual great artworks, clips of the actual great music works, and narrated excerpts from great writings, and yet they're still like "gently caress it, let's just have them find beads and arrowheads when they dig".

Give us some preserved corpses in peat bogs, mummies, big rear end jewels, shrunken heads, sarcophagi, buried treasure, etc...

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

Maybe he/she just wants to reminisce about the good old days?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
There should be a New World script that puts Hiawatha on the new continent alone.. Just imagine all of the cities!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pvt.Scott posted:

There should be a New World script that puts Hiawatha on the new continent alone.. Just imagine all of the cities!

You can get the earth maps pack mod and set it for true start locations. You get a lot of Europe and Asia and usually two or three New World civs. The really neat thing since BNW is that Europe isn't as crowded; so many of the BNW civs were non-European that you don't always have six civs packed into fifteen hexes in Europe any more.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Well, I've tried verifying the cache, I've tried reloading an old autosave, I've tried waiting a couple turns before moving the unit. Apparently the only way for me to continue the game is to just delete this settler and make a new one and set back my colonisation by some 20 turns for no loving reason.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can someone give me a very basic outline of the (earlier) technologies I should pursue as a Cultural Ramses?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tsurupettan posted:

Ok, I've done this now on Marathon/Huge. I'm not that far behind as I thought I'd be at turn 100, only thing I missed out on that I really wanted was Desert Folklore. But I got extremely lucky and my capital on the "New" World has 4 sheep, 2 wheat, gold, stone and iron. Plus 13 or something desert hills.

Finding loads of Ancient Ruins over here as well. Polynesia is cheating on a Terra map, you can go pick up all those ruins for free even if you settle at the start of the game.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

ufarn posted:

Can someone give me a very basic outline of the (earlier) technologies I should pursue as a Cultural Ramses?

Early Education is a must for almost every kind of play. The fact that key cultural and religious techs (Drama and Poetry, Philosophy, Theology) are on the way to Education is just gravy.

Usually I'll just get the techs for my luxuries, as well as Writing for libraries (The Great Library if you believe you can get it in before turn ~55) and The Wheel for city connections, and if I don't have any pressing military needs I'll move towards Philosophy for the National College, and continue on my way to Education from there.

e: also Animal Husbandry to start some caravans off, depending on when you start to feel the money squeeze

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, they -have- fixed AI on Terra maps?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Fryhtaning posted:

Yeah, they got images of the actual great artworks, clips of the actual great music works, and narrated excerpts from great writings, and yet they're still like "gently caress it, let's just have them find beads and arrowheads when they dig".

Give us some preserved corpses in peat bogs, mummies, big rear end jewels, shrunken heads, sarcophagi, buried treasure, etc...

Sounds like a cool thing for a mod to do.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

BadLlama posted:

Yes, frequently. I play for the excitement, and once the excitement of winning is gone because it's a foregone conclusion, there's no point in playing for me.

However, as said above, BNW has helped with this immensely.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

nimby posted:

Ok, I've done this now on Marathon/Huge. I'm not that far behind as I thought I'd be at turn 100, only thing I missed out on that I really wanted was Desert Folklore. But I got extremely lucky and my capital on the "New" World has 4 sheep, 2 wheat, gold, stone and iron. Plus 13 or something desert hills.

Finding loads of Ancient Ruins over here as well. Polynesia is cheating on a Terra map, you can go pick up all those ruins for free even if you settle at the start of the game.

Glad to hear this, will definitely give it a go myself! I normally avoid marathon because the extra length involved, but it sounds really beneficial here. There any other distinct advantages to picking up Marathon over Standard?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Anybody else playing this on a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro? I just finished my first game (Venice, Prince, Standard Continents with 6 players) and halfway through the game I had to play it in Strategic View because it was starting to chug pretty badly. Is it basically "suck it up and bootcamp" or am I missing something besides "turn everything down to low and cross your fingers"?

vvvvv Ugh, figured that was the case. I still absolutely love this game even if I have to play through it in Strategic View.

chami fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 18, 2013

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

chami posted:

Anybody else playing this on a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro? I just finished my first game (Venice, Prince, Standard Continents with 6 players) and halfway through the game I had to play it in Strategic View because it was starting to chug pretty badly. Is it basically "suck it up and bootcamp" or am I missing something besides "turn everything down to low and cross your fingers"?

Bootcamp won't help. Turning all the graphics down, quitting programs, etc. will help, but the game is designed 1) for PCs and 2) for better hardware, unfortunately. I really wish that this game (and XCOM and others) had 'low' graphics options that were much, much lower than they currently are, for this reason. But yeah, I usually end up in strategic view by the Industrial era.

Might also be the summer heat: laptops are sensitive, and mine always do better in the chilly winter than when it's 85 degrees in my apartment.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Do Siege Towers keep all the special poo poo (Sapper, Cover 1, +1 Sight) if you upgrade them to Trebuchets?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

ufarn posted:

Leverage your temple replacement and bonus to building wonders.

I guess the best way to go would be Animal Husbandry -> Pottery -> Mining -> Writing -> Build Great Library -> Calendar -> Drama and Poetry -> Philosophy Free Tech -> Build National Collage -> Theology -> Build Parthenon

Should give you a religion with some luck, along with the temple replacement for extra happy, and you can definitely get Great Library on Emperor or below with Egypt. Just make sure to pick up Cathedrals if you can! You probably won't get both the Parthenon and GL, but again with some luck you might get both, especially on King and below.

If you are rushed, divert to The Wheel and get out Chariot Archers to cover some early growth. Oh and do remember to chop your wonders still.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 18, 2013

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Kyrosiris posted:

Do Siege Towers keep all the special poo poo (Sapper, Cover 1, +1 Sight) if you upgrade them to Trebuchets?

I was disappointed to find they only keep Cover 1. Sapper is gone and they go back to the reduced sight of other siege units.
Keep them as towers as long as you can.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I have to say, upgraded Winged Hussar Helicopter Gunships are my favorite unit ever.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Okay, Napoleon got bit uppity and settled on my side of the continent. He was stuck for ages with three cities due to the mountains cutting off access to the rest of the continent. He has bazillion wonders in Paris and is clearly going for culture victory.

Of course that won't do.

What would you guys do at this situation. Annex, puppet, raze? I will keep the three main cities at the end of France's peninsula, but this city here really isn't that amazing at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A Tartan Tory posted:

Leverage your temple replacement and bonus to building wonders.

I guess the best way to go would be Animal Husbandry -> Pottery -> Mining -> Writing -> Build Great Library -> Calendar -> Drama and Poetry -> Philosophy Free Tech -> Build National Collage -> Theology -> Build Parthenon

Why do people go for the Parthenon so strongly? Is the Great Work that big a deal?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Friction posted:

Okay, Napoleon got bit uppity and settled on my side of the continent. He was stuck for ages with three cities due to the mountains cutting off access to the rest of the continent. He has bazillion wonders in Paris and is clearly going for culture victory.

Of course that won't do.

What would you guys do at this situation. Annex, puppet, raze? I will keep the three main cities at the end of France's peninsula, but this city here really isn't that amazing at all.

Raze. If you really want those truffles, they're within range of your city to the north.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why do people go for the Parthenon so strongly? Is the Great Work that big a deal?

If you want to win a cultural victory? Yeah, it really is.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

It is considering how early you get it, when +2 tourism is a significant chunk of most civs' culture per turn.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Pvt.Scott posted:

I played a massive custom earth map with historical starting locations in G&K, and one of the launch options removes America from the game for historical flavor.

It wasn't until I discovered the New World that I realized my terrible, terrible mistake.

I should do that again. Would be fun to watch the Shoshone and the Iroquois fight over a continent.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
What map type do you guys play on. Continents Plus makes some gorgeous maps. But seems to shove every single city state, onto islands.

Fractal seems to work well, but it doesn't offer any customization options.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

thehumandignity posted:

It is considering how early you get it, when +2 tourism is a significant chunk of most civs' culture per turn.

Hrm. After I've gotten library and Colossus (and lighthouse if playing a naval civ) I usually go for the Hagia for the great prophet. What difference does that extra tourism make that early on? In game terms? Wouldn't the Oracle be a better choice? I feel like I'm missing something.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

UberJumper posted:

What map type do you guys play on. Continents Plus makes some gorgeous maps. But seems to shove every single city state, onto islands.

PerfectWorld3 is my favorite, or GEM if I want an Earth map, but I don't think it's been updated with BNW civs yet.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

UberJumper posted:

You can modify the continents script pretty easily to still create the beautiful continents, but keep teh city states (mostly) confined to land.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Are Customs Houses ever worthwhile? With only +4 gold they look like pieces of poo poo. Perhaps the extra base income boosts trade routes noticeably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Hrm. After I've gotten library and Colossus (and lighthouse if playing a naval civ) I usually go for the Hagia for the great prophet. What difference does that extra tourism make that early on? In game terms? Wouldn't the Oracle be a better choice? I feel like I'm missing something.

I haven't personally built the Parthenon yet, but the appeal seems pretty obvious: It means you start the late-game tourism race with a chunk of influence already in place, instead of having to play catch-up vs. the entire backlog of other civs' accumulated culture. It's an investment that hopefully pays off in a faster culture victory, not something you do for short-term benefits.

• Locked thread