Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

BiggerJ posted:

Oh god. I've discovered an IndieGogo for a documentary about someone who deserves no attention. At least it doesn't seem to be defending him.

I guess I'm a horrible poo poo-bird because Chris Chan has never stopped being fascinating to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manifest posted:

I guess I'm a horrible poo poo-bird because Chris Chan has never stopped being fascinating to me.
He just kept digging the hole deeper. Every time he'd say he was done with the internet, and every time he'd come back and reignite everything all over again. You'd think someone in his life would step in and make him stop.

Pomp has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Jul 18, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Manifest posted:

The problem is that the people harassing him eclipsed him in patheticness and insanity. Having a boy whose voice hasn't changed pretend to be a girl on the phone so he can coerce a mentally ill adult into having sex with a body pillow, and then rationalize it as "helping" him or the man "deserving" it is infinitely worse and inexcusable.

That kickstarter is an abomination because it's enabling criminal harassment by lovely basement-dwellers, not because it give Chris attention.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

Why do anything? He should be getting help from people actually in his life, not strangers on the internet. Hell, he shouldn't BE on the internet at this point in terms of his mental health, because it's obviously not doing him any good.

Hi, welcome to five-year-old debates. Long story short: Chris will never get help because he is incapable of understanding that he needs it. To him, he is normal and we are the freaks. He has people in his life who have desperately tried to help him and they achieved absolutely nothing, because for his whole life his parents created an echo chamber around him where everything he did was excellent, and anything bad that happened to him was because of prejudice against autistics.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fatkraken posted:

Why do anything? He should be getting help from people actually in his life, not strangers on the internet. Hell, he shouldn't BE on the internet at this point in terms of his mental health, because it's obviously not doing him any good.

Honestly, he was probably one sexual harassment charge away from losing his virgin with rage status in a jail cell before the internet found him. The trolling is sorta ridiculous but its kinda the only thing he has left going for him at this point.

But kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1021278634/city-bound?ref=recently_launched

quote:

You're a couple of sicklings, you know that? Why $24,000?"

With the $24,000 raised we plan to shoot and release 10 episodes that delve into the most humiliating situations money can buy. At approximately $2,000 an episode we feel a high enough production value can be achieved for scripted programming that passes the watchability test. We won't personally be taking a dime of your contributions but it will afford us the opportunity to invest hundreds of hours into producing great content that goes beyond the Internet clutter of dancing puppies.

This sounds good until...

quote:

There's a shift in today's consumption of content and we feel City-Bound's audience will love bite-sized episodes at five minutes in length.

So basically they want $24,000 to shoot 50 minutes of footage at literally $200 a minute.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BKPR posted:

I've really gotta wonder why everyone on IndieGoGo goes for flexible funding.

Because they get to keep it when their project inevitably fails.

23 Flavors
Sep 13, 2011

what a talentless looking goon

OrganizedInsanity posted:

So basically they want $24,000 to shoot 50 minutes of footage at literally $200 a minute.

It's actually worse, $24,000/50 minutes = $480/minute.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Honestly, he was probably one sexual harassment charge away from losing his virgin with rage status in a jail cell before the internet found him. The trolling is sorta ridiculous but its kinda the only thing he has left going for him at this point.

But kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1021278634/city-bound?ref=recently_launched

This sounds good until...

$24,000 for 50 minutes is far from unreasonable, 30 (22) minutes of scripted TV costs WAY more than that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbrmaeiZ4RE (skip to 2:24) even if the production values are fairly simple. Assuming they've got a reasonable camera and sound kit and the crew know what they're doing it could easily cost that much.

EDIT: the writing in the pitch is loving intolerable though

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
So in what's probably one of the most awful of awful Kickstarters, at least in my opinion, Truth and Trolls - more commonly known as that Susan Wilson thing - has its release date on July 31st. Are you all excited?

The game is coming along splendidly, with a ton of great art presented in a pretty fascinnnnnaaah, I can't do it. Basically, Susan decided to switch engines from RPG Maker to - wait for it - Unity of all things, and put out this splendid Official Intro Video trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsl3ZdQzzZM (Don't click this, it's a single photograph with a bunch of Movie Maker subtitles superimposed.)

I think we're in for a pretty good gaming time in two weeks, aren't we?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

miguelito posted:

So in what's probably one of the most awful of awful Kickstarters, at least in my opinion, Truth and Trolls - more commonly known as that Susan Wilson thing - has its release date on July 31st. Are you all excited?

The game is coming along splendidly, with a ton of great art presented in a pretty fascinnnnnaaah, I can't do it. Basically, Susan decided to switch engines from RPG Maker to - wait for it - Unity of all things, and put out this splendid Official Intro Video trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsl3ZdQzzZM (Don't click this, it's a single photograph with a bunch of Movie Maker subtitles superimposed.)

I think we're in for a pretty good gaming time in two weeks, aren't we?

Wait, this is the woman who used her daughter as kickstarter fodder? Is this the girl's video game then that she coded up at RPGMaker camp?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Fatkraken posted:

Largely he isn't, he keeps his Facebook and the like private, but there's a bunch of people who have spent the last five years manipulating him that have gotten really good at getting past his barriers. It's definitely turned from "funny nutbar posting weird videos on Youtube" to "mentally ill man being relentlessly stalked by really messed up people" in the last year or two.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Here's a really good Kickstarter - an online service that puts together Freedom of Information Act requests for yoU:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cir/foia-machine/

FOIA Machine posted:

Meet FOIA Machine, an integrated web platform developed by veteran investigative reporters and technology pros. It's sponsored by the award-winning nonprofit The Center for Investigative Reporting.

I wish I'd thought of it first.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kazmeyer posted:

in the last year or two.

I think it's been really hosed up longer than that. Probably after the first year. I'm kind of amazed this is *STILL* going on. But then again, 4chan is still active so...v:v:v

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

pathetic little tramp posted:

Here's a really good Kickstarter - an online service that puts together Freedom of Information Act requests for yoU:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cir/foia-machine/

I wish I'd thought of it first.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done before by at least conspiracy nutjobs. Would it be illegal to say, download this application, somehow automate the submission process and farm it out to people a-la bitcoin mining?

You could essentially create a wikipedia of FOYA documents on the cheap.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Jedit posted:

Because they get to keep it when their project inevitably fails.

But then only people who are super sure the project will succeed will contribute.

Unless your whole end game is "get $100 with a phony pitch" it just hurts your chances.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm surprised this hasn't been done before by at least conspiracy nutjobs. Would it be illegal to say, download this application, somehow automate the submission process and farm it out to people a-la bitcoin mining?

That's how you crash servers and get nabbed and call it hacking. 20-life.

Edit: Original post was stupid.

The General has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Jul 19, 2013

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

BiggerJ posted:

Oh god. I've discovered an IndieGogo for a documentary about someone who deserves no attention. At least it doesn't seem to be defending him.

Oh gently caress her. No matter how crazy and stupid the poor bastard is he is human not an animal she can jam her "very critical lens" in the face of at will.

(not a great sentence but still, gently caress her)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

isoprenaline posted:

Oh gently caress her. No matter how crazy and stupid the poor bastard is he is human not an animal she can jam her "very critical lens" in the face of at will.

(not a great sentence but still, gently caress her)

I see that she feels she's qualified to do it, but fails to list any qualifications.

Fake Edit:Oh, I think I might have found them.

quote:

I am a student at the Art Institute of Colorado and I take classes in video production.
Well, please take my money.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

There is literally nothing she can learn that isn't already publicly available on the CWCki. There just doesn't need to be a CWC documentary, he's an idiot who sits at home and doesn't hurt anybody. The pitch makes him out to be some kind of crazed monster, which is outright nonsense if you're really familiar with his "ouvre"; and I am. I can probably guarantee I'm a bigger authority on CWC than her, what she's saying is typical newbie nonsense. She wants $20000 to do an hour long rant on CWC, I can watch one of those on YouTube for free (and nobody wants to).

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
I can't wait for her terrible project to be validated several times over by angry nerds sending her mass death threats and reinforcing the mistaken impression that opposition means validation.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I don't think there's much of a contingent to send death threats on Chris's behalf.

I just can't imagine what new ground she thinks she's going to uncover.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BKPR posted:

I just can't imagine what new ground she thinks she's going to uncover.

She's going to cover the ground by making it rain. If I thought I could get twenty grand to make some dumb youtube videos trashing some old news internet whipping boy using my partial unaccredited media school education, I'd be all over that.

But yeah a cursury search shows literally hundreds if not thousands of Youtube videos about the weirdo so I'm guessing it's just a cynical "MEMES" + CROWDFUNDING = DOLLARS thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only people that care about CWC already know everything about him.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Wouldn't there also be legal concerns about making a documentary like that about someone who's still alive? Chris hasn't pulled a Timothy Treadwell yet.

BiggerJ has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Jul 19, 2013

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
What is it with shoddy art and webcomics that leads to high asking fees on Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944066903/role-playin-gamer-webcomic-and-print-and-role-play

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

What is it with shoddy art and webcomics that leads to high asking fees on Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944066903/role-playin-gamer-webcomic-and-print-and-role-play

Jesus Christ those tits he draws, her nipples must have a really high iron content and there are gigantic magnets above her directly to the left and right all the time.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Forget B^U, B^D is where it's at!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

SupSuper posted:

Forget B^U, B^D is where it's at!

It seems like they're knocking off the art style of Penny Arcade, very poorly.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

OldMemes posted:

They probably should have skipped ahead instead of aping their style ca. 1998.

e.

RISKS AND CHALLENGES? That it might be TOO AWESOME! posted:

We plan to use high quality shirts & papers for our merchandise so that our wears, books and posters will be of the highest and best quality.

Everything should be to you by Xmas this year, a perfect time to get all these great Role Playin Gamer Treats : D

We hope our initial goal will be met, but achieving higher Stretch Goals would help our Webcomic and upcoming RPG Video Game quite a bit!"

Even bad kickstarters come up with some kind of somehwat relevant taffery to put under Risks and Challenges. This is the Kickstarter equivalent of the guy too unimaginative to even answer the "biggest weakness" job interview question and just claiming not to have one.

Owlbear Camus has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Jul 20, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The art and dialogue in this comic is uncomfortably reminiscent of fetish art. I expected this one in particular to end with a cutaway of Link in the fairy's stomach. :stare:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

The art and dialogue in this comic is uncomfortably reminiscent of fetish art. I expected this one in particular to end with a cutaway of Link in the fairy's stomach. :stare:

Why is he producing comics about Chrono Trigger in 2012? Hasen't every single joke that can be made about that game already been made?

John Videogames
Jun 11, 2007

This tree is going
up your butt.

Waffleman_ posted:

The only people that care about CWC already know everything about him.

That's the greatness of her project - she can get hundreds of hours of audio, video and text material just with a quick visit to CWCiki and Encyclopedia Dramatica. She expects people to cash hunnerds of dollars in exchange for a lazy night of browsing and some work with a cracked PowerDirector copy.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

OldMemes posted:

The sad part is that I got more enjoyment out of this then I ever will PennyArcade.

Bonus point though:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944066903/role-playin-gamer-webcomic-and-print-and-role-play/comments

Someone literally donated $1 so he could tell them that his art sucks.

Edit: Confused PennyArcade with CAD, but honestly what's the difference?

OrganizedInsanity has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Jul 19, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The sad part is that I got more enjoyment out of this then I ever will PennyArcade with the exception of maybe the miscarriage meme.

That was CAD, no? Or is :thejoke: that webcomix are indistinguishable?

Reposting this from the OUYA thread because every word of it is amazing:

ripping off those guys you got in vending machines for a quarter as a kid posted:

Great news everyone !!! We at 82 Productions have decided to develop Brutal Carnage the Game by making this project available as an internship for college students. By making this project a internship it eliminates the need of a budget and guarantees its development. Due to this decision we are now only seeking the funds needed to finish the concept artwork. This means that if we reach our goal of $3,500 that Brutal Carnage the Game will be created and ONLY awarded to the backers of this project. We now estimate that development of Brutal Carnage the Game will began within 4 months from the end date of this kickstarter project and will continue till completed. We are aware that people will have plenty of questions and we advise everyone who does to visit the FAQS section of this kickstarter project. This project is now a campaignto create concept artwork for future artist/interns to use as a blue print when it comes to our standards concerning detail and design. We are very excited and confident with this method to transposing our idea into a game and we look forward to its journey.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Otisburg posted:

That was CAD, no? Or is :thejoke: that webcomix are indistinguishable?

Reposting this from the OUYA thread because every word of it is amazing:

Haha wait, don't you have to jump through a ridiculous amount of loops in order to get unpaid internships to count for college credit? It's a federal offense to use interns in place of full time work, you would owe them lost wages and go to jail,.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

You need to be fairly specific with what you're targeting with a FOIA request, so some sort of automation like "documents from the Department of ______ concerning ______" would just get you a letter back that the request is overly broad. And you have to pay for copies.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Shitbake posted:

Great news everyone !!! We at 82 Productions have decided to develop Brutal Carnage the Game by making this project available as an internship for college students. By making this project a internship it eliminates the need of a budget and guarantees its development. Due to this decision we are now only seeking the funds needed to finish the concept artwork. This means that if we reach our goal of $3,500 that Brutal Carnage the Game will be created and ONLY awarded to the backers of this project. We now estimate that development of Brutal Carnage the Game will began within 4 months from the end date of this kickstarter project and will continue till completed. We are aware that people will have plenty of questions and we advise everyone who does to visit the FAQS section of this kickstarter project. This project is now a campaignto create concept artwork for future artist/interns to use as a blue print when it comes to our standards concerning detail and design. We are very excited and confident with this method to transposing our idea into a game and we look forward to its journey.

I think he's convinced that he can get away with this. Hilariously enough, dude's been harassing me through the comments section on my site because he's similarly convinced that my article is the reason he's not getting any pledges :v:

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

The sad part is that I got more enjoyment out of this then I ever will PennyArcade.

Bonus point though:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944066903/role-playin-gamer-webcomic-and-print-and-role-play/comments

Someone literally donated $1 so he could tell them that his art sucks.

Edit: Confused PennyArcade with CAD, but honestly what's the difference?

I was temted to do the same re: "wasent" (wasn't) and the incorrect use of "then" (should be than). But onestly why bather.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Noyemi K posted:

I think he's convinced that he can get away with this. Hilariously enough, dude's been harassing me through the comments section on my site because he's similarly convinced that my article is the reason he's not getting any pledges :v:

Who's interested in our slavery program? You get college credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

dijon du jour posted:

I'm not into the whole "gigantism" fetish, but I feel like this kickstarter would tap into a niche market if he advertised it was about giant women rather than burying it in the breathless promo video. Don't make people work to figure out that this is a role "playin" gamer webcomic that is also about gigantism! Someone please add this to the Kickstarter success FAQ.