Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kush posted:

This is kinda awesome:

Godzilla 5? I didn't even see Godzilla 2 through 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

I assume you're joking but in case you're not that's not by Tyler Stout.

Yeah, I was just trying to make you laugh for once in your life.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Welcome to the entertainment industry. Would you like a Subway with your iHop? (whatever the gently caress, that is)

I'll be honest, this didn't bother me in Man of Steel. For anyone who has spent any time in the midwest, it really is mostly grain silos and chain businesses like IHOP and Subway. If Superman crash-landed off the NJ turnpike, maybe he and Zod would fight inside an independently-owned diner. But in Smallville, Kansas, it probably would be an IHOP, a 7/11, or a Subway. It's not like there's a scene where Superman orders a Grand Slam or something. That's what small town America looks like now, product placement or not.

"Did you know, you can get a refill on any drink you want, and it's free!?!" "It's a wonderful restaurant!!"

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Xealot posted:

I'll be honest, this didn't bother me in Man of Steel. For anyone who has spent any time in the midwest, it really is mostly grain silos and chain businesses like IHOP and Subway. If Superman crash-landed off the NJ turnpike, maybe he and Zod would fight inside an independently-owned diner. But in Smallville, Kansas, it probably would be an IHOP, a 7/11, or a Subway. It's not like there's a scene where Superman orders a Grand Slam or something. That's what small town America looks like now, product placement or not.

"Did you know, you can get a refill on any drink you want, and it's free!?!" "It's a wonderful restaurant!!"

Fair enough, I wasn't really picking on Man of Steel exclusively (I don't think I saw any Subway in that film).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The king of product placement will always be Demolition Man. I remember when I first saw Americans referencing the Taco Bell scene which I thought was odd because I could have sworn that it was a Pizza Hut. Turns out they were so dedicated to their craft that they filmed different product placement scenes for different markets.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Crossposting this from the weirdest fanart thread.

kinmik posted:

"Recreating movie posters with clip art and Comic Sans"

More here

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

The king of product placement will always be Demolition Man. I remember when I first saw Americans referencing the Taco Bell scene which I thought was odd because I could have sworn that it was a Pizza Hut. Turns out they were so dedicated to their craft that they filmed different product placement scenes for different markets.

They're owned by the same corporation, Yum Foods, anyway.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Chief posted:

I always liked Josie and the Pussycats, which was slammed by critics for having wall-to-wall product placement despite obviously being farcical, having a plot about advertisers putting subliminal messages in music, and not actually receiving any compensation from the companies featured/mocked.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Young Freud posted:

They're owned by the same corporation, Yum Foods, anyway.

An there's even a song dedicated to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIt2CdbBo_w

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I always liked Josie and the Pussycats, which was slammed by critics for having wall-to-wall product placement despite obviously being farcical, having a plot about advertisers putting subliminal messages in music, and not actually receiving any compensation from the companies featured/mocked.

Yeah, Josie was very blatant but the dig was subtle so they took criticism for it.

On the other hand, Fight Club was absolutely pumped full of advertisements but it's appreciated more because the mocking isn't subtle. It's hard to go a few seconds in the movie without seeing a Starbucks cup.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I feel that I need to change my avatar to express how awesome Josie and the Pussycats is. It's the best comic book movie of all time.

It's the best comic book movie of all time.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Man, I feel really young here because I was taken to that movie when I was very young. I still remember the first song that they sang in it, and that the lead girl was really hot. But I forget the plot of the movie.

Guess it's time to go find it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
"I'm your back door lover!"

Whoever wrote Josie & The Pussycats deserves a medal.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Xealot posted:

It's not like there's a scene where Superman orders a Grand Slam or something.

Grand Slam is Denny's. :colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah, but if Superman shows up at an IHOP, and starts making unreasonable demands about wanting to be served a Grand Slam, who would dare correct him?

Especially if it's the alternate Injustice universe Superman.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"I'm your back door lover!"

Whoever wrote Josie & The Pussycats deserves a medal.

The movie literally begins with the record label murdering the hit boy band (called dujour :lol: ) once they wise up on subliminal marketing and it's played for laughs.

The movie is a masterpiece.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I almost wish the product placement was of a Perkins or something, or if indeed a Denny's there was a reference to Moons Over My Hammy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mister Chief posted:

I wouldn't call a quick ADR job dedication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fwFnSi_esI

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

This is a MONDO poster I believe.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Sometimes when people post Mondo posters I wish they'd just come to Chicago and punch me in the face instead. It would be less painful.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

schwenz posted:

This is a MONDO poster I believe.

That poster isn't bad but the original poster is already really good and I don't see why I'd pay Mondo money when I could just get this:

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

I love that poster too, but why is it so grainy? Did they film on 8MM or something?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mister Chief posted:

Did they actually film different scenes? It's been a while since I've seen Demolition Man, but I remember some completely obvious dubbing to replace Pizza Hut with Taco Bell or the other way around.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AT&T's on-demand video service appears to be populated by a variety of fake covers.

Unfortunately I have no higher-resolution versions or more information.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That collection peaks immediately with "I Ride the Bus".

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

davidspackage posted:

Did they actually film different scenes? It's been a while since I've seen Demolition Man, but I remember some completely obvious dubbing to replace Pizza Hut with Taco Bell or the other way around.
They hastily recorded some ADR that doesn't match in the slightest, and changed the Taco Bell signs to Pizza Hut signs digitally (which was a rare use for digital tools back in '93).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

AT&T's on-demand video service appears to be populated by a variety of fake covers.

Unfortunately I have no higher-resolution versions or more information.

Most of the "Animation Nation" films appear to be not animated.

waiting for sharks: a film about water does sound intriguing, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Patrol's tagline is outstanding.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Robert Denby posted:

They hastily recorded some ADR that doesn't match in the slightest, and changed the Taco Bell signs to Pizza Hut signs digitally (which was a rare use for digital tools back in '93).

It definitely helped that the whole joke of the scene was that the actual food didn't match up with what the name suggested.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

That collection peaks immediately with "I Ride the Bus".

Honestly, I like "TRED". It looks like Tron meets Thrashin'.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Young Freud posted:

Honestly, I like "TRED". It looks like Tron meets Thrashin'.

Gleaming the Virtual Cube

Are these leftover test data or a demo image or something? :psyduck:

Also The Deathing is a nice, straightforward title.

E: Personally I'm a bigger fan of MOTOR II: The Motorboats

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Radio Paranoia posted:

Gleaming the Virtual Cube

Haha, drat it, did you catch my post before I did the ninja edit on it? I originally put Gleaming the Cube in there, but that's more a crime thriller with skateboarding it, not a pure testament of how radical skateboarding is in feature film form.

I don't like Wasteland because they could have chosen a better stock image for that. Instead, I'd want to call that movie poster Live Hard.

I don't know why posters for fake movies are so great. I guess you can just envision the movie just by looking at the poster and make up whatever.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Young Freud posted:

I don't know why posters for fake movies are so great. I guess you can just envision the movie just by looking at the poster and make up whatever.

I'm sure these have already been posted, but yes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Patrol's tagline is outstanding.

I read it as an insanely misjudged comedy where a cop with anxiety and depression is feeling suicidal over his poor job performance, so the community gets together to help him by committing crimes right in front of him and getting arrested.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Young Freud posted:

Haha, drat it, did you catch my post before I did the ninja edit on it? I originally put Gleaming the Cube in there, but that's more a crime thriller with skateboarding it, not a pure testament of how radical skateboarding is in feature film form.

Why can't it be both? :colbert: A skateboard crime thriller in cyberspace.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Yet another Finnish poster:

It's a documentary about Teemu Selänne and his number is 8 so... Goddamnit...

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

I've noticed some film titles recently that use that graphic design trick of making a few of the letters in the name a different color. It used to be done where the colored text spelled something, but now it doesn't. That bothers me for some reason.

Insidious 2 does it, and I saw another one the other day.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I guess you mean this?

It sort of makes sense in the context of the original film's advertising. I don't know if its relevant to the movie in any way but they did this strange INSIDIOUS IS, IS INSIDIOUS, INSIDIOUS IS INSIDIOUS (?) thing. You can see some of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kobMh8oABEM

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Geekboy posted:

Sometimes when people post Mondo posters I wish they'd just come to Chicago and punch me in the face instead. It would be less painful.

You are the king of over reacting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

I'm not even sure if they even used a digital overlay. The way the sign was constructed, it looks like it could be flipped to display either Taco Bell or Pizza Hut. Since it was an establishing shot, it could be done on a different take.

But yeah, watching that scene again, that ADR dubbing is atrocious. Also, goddamn Sandra Bullock's falsetto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpRzusd9Yi8