Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I really can't imagine how you could tolerate FF9 if you found FF4's encounter rate annoying and didn't like FF4's setting. I definitely think you'd prefer 6 or 7 way over FF9 based on this post.
9 has a very low encounter rate. Unless you get lost or run into things that trigger battles, you'll usually have 1-2 encounters per screen in general, barring huge maps like Mount Gulug and the final dungeon, which has a slightly higher encounter rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

But once you get in a fight you better have a sammich made because you ain't leaving any time soon.1`

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

The Welper posted:

This is good advice for the long-haul as well. A Melee character will become pretty strong during the 2nd half of a first play-through, but if you jump up in difficulty after one completion the danger comes full-circle and you'll be getting crushed by most of the beginner monsters again. Best advice is to try to build towards a character that will allow you to summon/maintain at least one good pet(or set of pets, in the case of /Nature) to help absorb some of the incoming damage.

Pets are kinda the opposite of melee, really strong in the beginning, but pretty much useless once you reach the later acts. Then you restart on a higher difficulty and they get buffed and become super strong again. I really enjoyed my pet character since I didn't have to keep clicking on every single enemy, and I can just sit back and watch everything die.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Back on page 77 about FF4.

How often did you run from battles in FF4? The reason the battle frequency never bothered me, unlike let's say FF9 where I found the encounter rate to be game ruining brutal, is because there's always a 100% success rate in running. And you run instantly. It's like it never happened. If you don't want to fight battles you don't have to. I never liked the enemies in the Tower of Zot, so I run from every 4 out of 5 battles each time I'm in that area. That's the way I've played it since I first played the game in 1991.

It's too bad that you quit before getting to the underground portion of the game.

I really can't imagine how you could tolerate FF9 if you found FF4's encounter rate annoying and didn't like FF4's setting. I definitely think you'd prefer 6 or 7 way over FF9 based on this post.

I loving hate FF4 and love FF9. FF4 has a boring setting, one-note characters, nothing going for the battle system, etc. I honestly think people only like it because of nostalgia.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Back on page 77 about FF4.

How often did you run from battles in FF4? The reason the battle frequency never bothered me, unlike let's say FF9 where I found the encounter rate to be game ruining brutal, is because there's always a 100% success rate in running. And you run instantly. It's like it never happened. If you don't want to fight battles you don't have to. I never liked the enemies in the Tower of Zot, so I run from every 4 out of 5 battles each time I'm in that area. That's the way I've played it since I first played the game in 1991.

It's too bad that you quit before getting to the underground portion of the game.

Zidane acquires the Flee skill fairly early, which is a 100% run from battle skill.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Final Fantasy 4's innovation was being a console rpg that told a story. This innovation has been picked up by every game ever released, unlike the mix and match job system of ff5 or the large cast that get split up and must be recollected thing and multiple party gimmick of ff6, which has only been reused sparingly.

This is why ff5 and 6 are interesting to revisit (especially with an actual coherent translation in the gba versions) and why ff4 is a dry turd.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

DA:O's graphics were a loving offense to humanity.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Zidane acquires the Flee skill fairly early, which is a 100% run from battle skill.

It still made you wait for 15 seconds of loading and the camera swirling around for the battle to start, then you had to wait for Zidane's ATB meter to fill up, wait for an enemy's slow animation if they attacked first, then you had to wait 5 more seconds of loading time after the battle. Even using flee all the time, going through some dungeons still felt very tedious. It's not the case like in FF4 where a random battle presents almost no distraction at all if you're not in the mood to fight it.

I also remember this one dungeon where you didn't have Zidane and couldn't use flee as being particularly insanely frustrating. I replay FF4 often. I'd have to be paid to replay FF9.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

DA:O's graphics were a loving offense to humanity.
Does anyone have that gif of Alistair's head turning into a giant purple beast and flying towards the camera? That was my favorite graphical glitch in any game ever.

And for an actual post - how do the transfer mechanics in Valkyrie Profile 1 work, exactly? I've played the game before and gotten the best ending, but I've still never fully understood the mechanic. Is there a guide out there that explains it comprehensively?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I replay FF4 often. I'd have to be paid to replay FF9.

Please seek help

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
9 at least has remotely interesting characters and story to keep it going. Yeah 4 is technically paced better, but I'd much rather have something that's slow and interesting rather than something that's fast yet boring.

Heck I'll go so far as to say I feel kind of insulted by FF4's story these days.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

Does anyone have that gif of Alistair's head turning into a giant purple beast and flying towards the camera? That was my favorite graphical glitch in any game ever.

And for an actual post - how do the transfer mechanics in Valkyrie Profile 1 work, exactly? I've played the game before and gotten the best ending, but I've still never fully understood the mechanic. Is there a guide out there that explains it comprehensively?

You don't really have to understand it fully. Just send up someone with the required hero value every chapter and Odin will stay happy. You'll get slightly better rewards from him if the einherjar you send has the skills Freya asks for (I don't think the level of the skill matters).

Equipment matters too I think, just give them whatever you can afford/have lying around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You basically get points for

A) Their Hero Value
B) How closely they fill the requirements.
C) Their equipment. (Less important, just give them whatever crap, just don't send them naked.)

There are also certain kinds of equipment which count as "skills" for the purpose of requests. If he asks for a Negotiator, for example, there are items called Angel Lips which say they increase your negotiation ability and you get additional points for that.

A lot of the weird/passive items that seem useless actually either grant a trait or remove a trait. 90% of the time this is pretty meaningless because if you send up a character with high Hero Value then the negative traits don't matter. The basic rule of thumb is to max out every single one of a character's traits before sending them up. (Give them an Necklace before each level up and this is trivial.) Reducing their negative traits also basically eliminates them as a thing. The only one that MIGHT be an issue is Sacrificing and as long as you have a high hero value that shouldn't actually come into play because the character will never ever fail a battle.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 19, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

9 at least has remotely interesting characters and story to keep it going. Yeah 4 is technically paced better, but I'd much rather have something that's slow and interesting rather than something that's fast yet boring.

Heck I'll go so far as to say I feel kind of insulted by FF4's story these days.
I hated 9's cast outside of Steiner and that rat person. I especially hated Zidane and Kuja. 4's is simple but that was fine in such a simple story.

I've also replayed FF4 probably about a dozen times over the years but will almost certainly never ever revisit FF9.

E: The best part of FF9 is the airship music. Loved that track.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 19, 2013

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It still made you wait for 15 seconds of loading and the camera swirling around for the battle to start, then you had to wait for Zidane's ATB meter to fill up, wait for an enemy's slow animation if they attacked first, then you had to wait 5 more seconds of loading time after the battle. Even using flee all the time, going through some dungeons still felt very tedious. It's not the case like in FF4 where a random battle presents almost no distraction at all if you're not in the mood to fight it.

I also remember this one dungeon where you didn't have Zidane and couldn't use flee as being particularly insanely frustrating. I replay FF4 often. I'd have to be paid to replay FF9.

Fair enough, there is significant loading etc. time required to actually flee. I've played through FF9 multiple times (and I'm considering getting it from the PS Store), and I've never reallly considered the encounter rate to be an issue, with the exception of Kuja's Palace. But really, that whole dungeon can just get the gently caress out.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Quoting this from the Steam thread:

What's the opinion here on Mars: War Logs? (Apologies if discussed before) I got it cheap, and, having played played for an hour, it looks good for a budget title and very well optimized. The only cramp is the sluggish camera. It got middling reviews from the press but I'm more inclined to follow seasoned goons. I probably wouldn't have bothered with Alpha Protocol were it not for the thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I see about the Transfer stuff. I figured for most of that, I just wasn't sure if there was anything deeper going on.

Also, what sick bastard decided that the guy you have to sacrifice for the best ending should be ridiculously good? Lucian has trouble not creating millions of gems and crystals.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

I hated 9's cast outside of Steiner and that rat person. I especially hated Zidane and Kuja. 4's is simple but that was fine in such a simple story.

I've also replayed FF4 probably about a dozen times over the years but will almost certainly never ever revisit FF9.

E: The best part of FF9 is the airship music. Loved that track.

Steiner is super awesome though.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Wendell posted:

Steiner is super awesome though.

How can a bro not appreciate the bromance between Zidane and Vivi, especially the scenes at Black Mage Village? Steiner is awesome too, and his pep talk in Pandemonium is one of my favorite moments in the entire story. I like all the characters and I think they all fill significant roles in the overarching theme of the game.

edit: or the bro scenes at Madain Sari, where Zidane teaches Vivi how to piss like a grown rear end man.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 19, 2013

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
FF4 is awesome and by far my favorite and most played FF, but I'll admit that my love of it is deep rooted in nostalgia. Back in 1991, I remember thinking the game was over then suddenly you go to the motherfucking moon. I mean, come on. That last dungeon on the moon was epic at the time too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

jerkstore77 posted:

FF4 is awesome and by far my favorite and most played FF, but I'll admit that my love of it is deep rooted in nostalgia. Back in 1991, I remember thinking the game was over then suddenly you go to the motherfucking moon. I mean, come on. That last dungeon on the moon was epic at the time too.

Also at the time, the apparent deaths of your companions, especially in such dramatic fashion, was a huge deal. As an 11-year-old, losing Yang was not cool at all.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So a new Star Ocean game was announced today. It features lots of terrible art for all the characters in the series.

Its an iPhone card RPG. :negative:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mill Village posted:

So a new Star Ocean game was announced today. It features lots of terrible art for all the characters in the series.

Its an iPhone card RPG. :negative:

It looks pretty bad, that cartoon cat is trying to kill itself to get out of it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
It's like they're actively trying to get me to retroactively hate Star Ocean 2. I'm afraid it's working :ohdear:

Content: Has there been any news from the guy who made was making A Blurred Line in the last few years that I'm not aware of? I never really thought about it until recently and I suddenly need to know how that story turns out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'Material Trader' is the most boring name for a game I can possibly imagine.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I thought FF9 was great because it had legitimate arcs for most of the characters. They did drop the ball on Quino and Amarant though, those guys just felt like they had no place.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

a medical mystery posted:

I thought FF9 was great because it had legitimate arcs for most of the characters. They did drop the ball on Quino and Amarant though, those guys just felt like they had no place.

Amarant had roughly 1000x more development than Freya

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Endorph posted:

'Material Trader' is the most boring name for a game I can possibly imagine.
"Stuff Doer." Well, maybe that's not quite as boring. At least it implies that there is stuff and you're doing it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

"Stuff Doer." Well, maybe that's not quite as boring. At least it implies that there is stuff and you're doing it.
'Stuff' could be anything, and 'Do' could be anything. Blowing up a T-Rex would be 'Stuff' that you are 'doing.'

Material Trader is just that. You are trading materials. Even if the materials are illicit drugs, that's pretty drat boring.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

I see about the Transfer stuff. I figured for most of that, I just wasn't sure if there was anything deeper going on.

Also, what sick bastard decided that the guy you have to sacrifice for the best ending should be ridiculously good? Lucian has trouble not creating millions of gems and crystals.

You also get cool little scenes whenever you send up two plot-related characters in the same chapter, like Suo and Shiho or Kashell and Lawfer.

I've only ever seen any of them on my challenge run where I tried to send up every character and played on easy mode so I didn't get any of the good artifacts.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's the opinion here on Mars: War Logs? (Apologies if discussed before) I got it cheap, and, having played played for an hour, it looks good for a budget title and very well optimized. The only cramp is the sluggish camera. It got middling reviews from the press but I'm more inclined to follow seasoned goons. I probably wouldn't have bothered with Alpha Protocol were it not for the thread.

What is there is good, but it's obvious that the game itself (especially its the latter parts) are quite unfinished. Plot progresses way too fast for what story the game tries to tell- for example, one enemy's plot in particular is resolved in the space of less than a minute if you're good at combat, with said enemy getting a few seconds of introduction a few hours before. Basically, I'd say Mars: War Logs is a collection of good ideas shoddily executed, and I wish that the devs had more time and money to develop it- we could've had a Space Witcher or something, instead of the solidly 5.5/10 (in my opinion) game that we did get. That said, it's certainly worth $10 though, if you ask me.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I played Xenoblade, last story, and pandoras tower on the wii and enjoyed them. Are there any other good RPGs on the wii?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Opoona is a decent RPG. Hardcore Gaming 101 recently posted a good article about it if you're interested.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mill Village posted:

Opoona is a decent RPG. Hardcore Gaming 101 recently posted a good article about it if you're interested.

The best part is, it can be had anywhere from $2-$7 dollars CIB. It's one of the Wii games that's on the real cheap end in terms of price.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Two questions: I recently bought Project X Zone because I thought the concept was kind of hilarious, and I generally have a very high tolerance (quota, even) for super-Japanese/Anime games and thought the concept was hilarious. The game was good for a while (even with no intelligible story to speak of) but I'm at Chapter 20, and the gameplay plateaued a couple of chapters ago. Has anybody else picked it up? Does the game pick up at all, or am I better off trading it in?

Also, has anybody tried SMT4? I've never played Nocturne, but I did play the second one and I was pretty okay with it, though it was dated. Any thoughts?

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 19, 2013

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Speaking of ARPGs, I know everyone hated Dungeon Seige 3's PC version because of the controls (which have since been patched) but I heard good things about the story and the battle system/skills progression. Is it worth playing with the controls patch and DLC or should I just stick with DS2?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Two questions: I recently bought Project X Zone because I thought the concept was kind of hilarious, and I generally have a very high tolerance (quota, even) for super-Japanese/Anime games and thought the concept was hilarious. The game was good for a while (even with no intelligible story to speak of) but I'm at Chapter 20, and the gameplay plateaued a couple of chapters ago. Has anybody else picked it up? Does the game pick up at all, or am I better off trading it in?

Also, has anybody tried SMT4? I've never played Nocturne, but I did play the second one and I was pretty okay with it, though it was dated. Any thoughts?

Project X Zone never gets any better or changes. Stage 28 for example involves fighting 5 bosses you've beaten before and then you fight them again int he next stage.

SMTIV is absolutely excellent. It's also incredibly modern; if it played like the old ones I'd tell you to pass but this game has every sort of modern convenience you can imagine while keeping the battles brutal and incredibly strategic and short.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

OSheaman posted:

Speaking of ARPGs, I know everyone hated Dungeon Seige 3's PC version because of the controls (which have since been patched) but I heard good things about the story and the battle system/skills progression. Is it worth playing with the controls patch and DLC or should I just stick with DS2?

DS3 is completely different from DS2. DS2 is a Diablo styled ARPG, while DS3 reminded me more of Japanese console ARPGs like Secret of Mana or Ys. I was a big fan of console ARPGs as a kid so I enjoyed DS3, but it is really nothing like DS2, unless you are really interested in the lore of Dungeon Siege for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

OSheaman posted:

It's okay as a standalone title but neither the story nor gameplay have much to do with the previous DS games. It basically feels like S/E wanted to release a Dungeon Siege title after they bought the franchise rights and asked Obsidian to slap a few throwbacks into their own half-finished IP to make it fit. The story is completely forgettable although you can make a few choices that affect the epilogue and the camera suffers horribly in multiplayer because it stays fixed onto the hosting player's character only. Loot just makes the numbers on your dude go up, nothing flashy or exciting about it. All that being said, the single-player combat is pretty fun on higher difficulties and the story is engaging enough for a full playthrough, but not much more. It's thoroughly average.