Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Pogonodon posted:

Clean her face up and see if there's any major damage. If she's eating normally, I'd say she's fine, she's just, I don't know, is shock the right word? Whenever mine survive a predator attack, everyone always acts weird for a bit but they go back to normal after a few safe nights.
A gigantic raccoon killed one of my blue d'uccle roosters a couple nights ago :saddowns: Fucker waddled through my garden and crushed every plant, then crawled on top of the d'uccle/baby pen and waddled until he found a spot that I hadn't tied tightly enough. He moved around until the netting caved in and he could just barely reach a roosting bird. :argh:

Raccoons are cute but they're terrible pests and can do a lot of damage! I hope you've set out at trap to catch it, because that raccoon WILL be back for more chickens! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
He's been stealing turkey eggs for a month, so I had traps out, but turns out he's too big to fit in the medium raccoon size. Maybe I need to rent a dog sized model.
On the plus side, I discovered he's terrified of walking on tarps. Tarps for everybody!

Edit: I feel like I should note, it's only gone on this long because I caught six other raccoons in that time period. Keep thinking that maybe it's him, but NOPE

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 16, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Look at the very top of the photo in the middle between the gray chute thing and the frame for the wheels. The grey ghost duck that was melting into the straw is sitting in the hay being all ducky.
Winner winner, chicken dinner!

That's the nest. So every time I walk out my door, I see a retarded duck head pop up and look at me.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido posted:

Like Pogonodon said, try to clean her face gently and see if there's any damage to her eye. If she's eating and drinking, that's a good sign. She might be partly in shock still, so if you can, keep her in a quiet area so she can relax. If you happen to have large dog crate, you can put her there with food and water, and cover half of it with a towel so it's dark. That might help her calm down.

If you can't find any vet that is willing to see her (or it's way to expensive), you could try basic first aid. If you see she has any external wounds on her face, you could apply neosporin. just make sure it's the regular one, the ointment with pain reliever is toxic for birds. Also, don't put it in the eye as it could damage it. If she has no vissible head wounds, then just keep her warm and let her relax. I'd suggest to also give her unflavored pedyalite as drinking water for a couple of days to avoid any possible dehydration.

I'd also add a powdered antibiotic to her water, such as Ornacyn--over the counter, get it at pet stores that cater to birds & reptiles. The unflavored Pedialyte is great for injured/sick/stressed birds since it gives them an electrolyte boost. I see no reason to put her down if she is eating, drinking and carrying on normally, I'd give her a shot at getting well as long as she isn't suffering.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep a close eye on her.

The worst thing is that the other two are now picking on her. Whenever there is any kind of traumatic event the pecking order reboots and I get to look like an idiot in front of my neighbors as I chase the bullies down.

I Love Topanga fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 16, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I Love Topanga posted:

The worst thing is that the other two are now picking on her. Whenever there is any kind of traumatic event the pecking order reboots and I get to look like an idiot in front of my neighbors as I chase the bullies down.

Just make sure they're not pecking at her wounds and making her bleed. Then they'll peck her even more! :(

Pogonodon: I would rent a dog trap to catch that big raccoon. You don't want to run into that thing at night and accidentally corner it. Raccoons are very territorial. If I come across one at night, I get away from it.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 16, 2013

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

I Love Topanga posted:

Do you have any way to separate her for a day or two? I don't know how that would work in the social aspect, but if you can keep her somewhere quiet and separate so she isn't being picked on to add to her woes, maybe that would help.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Lynza posted:

Do you have any way to separate her for a day or two? I don't know how that would work in the social aspect, but if you can keep her somewhere quiet and separate so she isn't being picked on to add to her woes, maybe that would help.

If you don't have a crate, do you have a way to partition the run so the others can't reach her? That stress may be detrimental to her recovery, so if you can you should really isolate her from the others until she seems back to normal. It's better to let her sort out her place in the flock when she's healthy.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Good morning!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

Good morning!

LOL! Please don't tell me they're both broody now?

Do you only have two white ducks left now? What happened to the duck who thought he was a chicken?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Broody bitches.

Three white muscovies, two pekins, and Chicken the Duck. Chicken was busy roosting with the chickens when that was taken this morning.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

BFFs, again.

Clubfoot, not sure what breed she is.

Fuller picture. Her foot is a birth defect apparently. She still runs around just fine like the others.

Someone thought it would be a brilliant idea to bring another rooster. Never mind the fact that we already have two, so our chickens have more than enough cock to go around. Gonna try and find another home for him, since as you can see, he's twice the height of our current cocks. Goddamn big white cock trying to take over from the tiny Asian cock. Story of my life.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

unprofessional posted:

Broody bitches.

Three white muscovies, two pekins, and Chicken the Duck. Chicken was busy roosting with the chickens when that was taken this morning.

I love that stupid duck.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Two of the first henhoes we got as babies, Rusty the eternal broody and Godzilla, have gone ghetto. They've been fighting since yesterday, full scale cock fighting style. Rusty gets really aggressive and annoying and I'm guessing Godzilla got fed up with her, because they can't see each other without going at it. I was trying to break rusty out of her broodiness, because she loves to brood inside a drawer in the back room/shed, but for the sake of peace I have to leave the door open for her.

Typical bitches. Next thing you know they'll be wearing tiny bandanas, huge loop earrings and sharpie eyebrows.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Coming home tonight there were a bunch (6 or so) of chickens in the road! Another of our neighbors has apparently set up a coop. Looks a lot like the picture that Inveigle posted, style-wise. I don't know them (they rent and they're new) but I think I'll swing by and say hello. No idea what kind of hens they are; might be mutts or something.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Lynza posted:

Coming home tonight there were a bunch (6 or so) of chickens in the road! Another of our neighbors has apparently set up a coop. Looks a lot like the picture that Inveigle posted, style-wise. I don't know them (they rent and they're new) but I think I'll swing by and say hello. No idea what kind of hens they are; might be mutts or something.

Which picture that I posted?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Chido posted:

Two of the first henhoes we got as babies, Rusty the eternal broody and Godzilla, have gone ghetto. They've been fighting since yesterday, full scale cock fighting style. Rusty gets really aggressive and annoying and I'm guessing Godzilla got fed up with her, because they can't see each other without going at it. I was trying to break rusty out of her broodiness, because she loves to brood inside a drawer in the back room/shed, but for the sake of peace I have to leave the door open for her.

Typical bitches. Next thing you know they'll be wearing tiny bandanas, huge loop earrings and sharpie eyebrows.

Oh Chido, you make me laugh! Sharpie eyebrows LOL!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Oops, I may be wrong - I thought it was you who posted pictures of the coop you built, but I may be wrong. It's been known to happen (often).

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido posted:

I'm betting on Rusty getting the first teardrop tattoo. :ese:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I'm betting on Rusty getting the first teardrop tattoo. :ese:

Seriously, she's pure fury in chicken form. I kinda want to record them fighting for a bit, some people don't always imagine hens fighting as aggressively as roosters, but also I don't wanna lose any fingers in breaking up the fight :ohdear:. Whatever mixed brreds these henhoes are, they just love to brood.

Now, the brooding furies can be adorable, like today Turkey ran to me very concerned and pecked at my leg. She's broody too and she does that when she can't access the nests for some reason, so she makes you follow her. Well, Tissue and Megatron had kicked her out of her favorite box, and Turkey wanted it back! She went into the coop, tried to cram into the nestbox, and the other two kicked her out. So there comes turkey again to peck at my leg again and bok very angrily. :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah, chickintelligence. Get the human to solve your problems. :3:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Muscovies took a setting break last night, and I had a chance to count eggs. 27! God, I hope none hatch...

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

Muscovies took a setting break last night, and I had a chance to count eggs. 27! God, I hope none hatch...

What? You don't want a couple dozen ducks in your pond? :D

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I put the baby guineas into the baby pen yesterday. And the raccoon was wandering around the pen just after dusk. Got a good raccoon trap, set it up nearby, smelly bait...
And I go out this morning to see she somehow managed to take the trap arm apart and never set off the door. :argh:
I went out during the night and she had managed to work her arm through two layers of fencing and had a baby guinea by her tailfeathers, slowly pulling her up to the wall. :stare: at me, dropped the bird and humpran away.
I'm not really sure what to do now. Should I set up the trap again tonight and hope she triggers it this time, just wait with a gun, or both?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Almost hit some guinea fowl yesterday... A house that I pass by on my way to work has turkeys, chickens, and guinea fowl, and the chickens and guineas are free range. They're pretty cool, but not when they're walking in the road!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lynza posted:

Oops, I may be wrong - I thought it was you who posted pictures of the coop you built, but I may be wrong. It's been known to happen (often).

If it was the red coop with the sloped metal roof that was mine. Also how the hell do chickens get into the road?

unprofessional posted:

Broody bitches.

My wife is demanding video of Chicken the duck being all chickeny. Can you make this happen?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 19, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Hmm...I don't have a camera or phone good enough, but if my sister-in-law stops in, we'll make it happen. The great thing about Chicken is he's like a bell around the necks of the rest of the chickens. Any time I call, "Here, chicky chicky chicky!" I hear a soft "quack quack quack" before the gang comes running around a corner.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If it was the red coop with the sloped metal roof that was mine. Also how the hell do chickens get into the road?

Yep, it was you! Sorry, I'm awful with names in real life as well as online, I guess.

Well, we live out in the middle of nowhere. Up until 2 years ago, it was a dirt road about 2.5 miles long, and a dead-end one at that. So these folks' house is just off the road, and I'm guessing their chickens either got out or they're real dumb and think "free-range" is a good idea where we live. You know, in the woods. With coyotes and raccoons and neighbor dogs.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Pogonodon posted:

I put the baby guineas into the baby pen yesterday. And the raccoon was wandering around the pen just after dusk. Got a good raccoon trap, set it up nearby, smelly bait...
And I go out this morning to see she somehow managed to take the trap arm apart and never set off the door. :argh:
I went out during the night and she had managed to work her arm through two layers of fencing and had a baby guinea by her tailfeathers, slowly pulling her up to the wall. :stare: at me, dropped the bird and humpran away.
I'm not really sure what to do now. Should I set up the trap again tonight and hope she triggers it this time, just wait with a gun, or both?

Damned raccoons tell their buddies and bring THEM along for a chicken dinner, so watch out. They are super clever about reaching through, grabbing a wing or tail, dragging the chicken over to the wire and then eating it's back out, leaving the bird alive and in horrible pain. :(

I'd make sure the chickens are super secure and try again with the trap, but plan for more raccoons. Are you using cheap, smelly canned cat food as bait?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pogonodon posted:

Buy some 1/4 inch hardware cloth and screw it into the inside of the fence they are behind. That way coons cant get their grubby paws through it.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Damned raccoons tell their buddies and bring THEM along for a chicken dinner, so watch out. They are super clever about reaching through, grabbing a wing or tail, dragging the chicken over to the wire and then eating it's back out, leaving the bird alive and in horrible pain. :(

I'd make sure the chickens are super secure and try again with the trap, but plan for more raccoons. Are you using cheap, smelly canned cat food as bait?

Yeah, raccoons love to bring friends and family over for dinner. One reason it's important not to leave dog food or cat food outside. :(

Put the trap in another place perhaps? Perhaps cover the top of the trap with twigs and leaves to make it look less like the old trap the raccoon dismantled. There's a reason raccoons are considered "cagey," but hopefully this is a dumb raccoon.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
PHOTOJOURNAL TIME!

This is what happens when I get home and call for the chickens.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

One thing is not like the others :3:

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

That duck is best duck. You going to leave it in with the flock as long as they let Chickenduck be?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
That chickenduck is awesome.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Having to use marshmallows until the next grocery run. There's definitely one baby with her, maybe two. Explains why she does a huge loop every night that hits every pen and the garden at least twice.
The birds are somewhat secure. The cages are all welded wire with chicken wire around that, and poultry netting double layered over that, with tin on three sides. Not impossible to drag a small head through, but very very difficult. I had the guinea keets all in a small doghouse but that one decided to run out after dark and try to escape through the one wall with no tin. I'm locking their little door tonight.
I do have a little bit of 1/4 inch hardware cloth, but nowhere near enough to secure the one wall. Maybe ten feet of it at best. I only managed to find a scrap of welded wire before the rain hit. Unless the rain stops soon, I'm pretty much hoping herding them into the safest corner and resetting the trap will protect them for tonight.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Pogonodon posted:

Having to use marshmallows until the next grocery run.

Honestly there's no reason to get fancy. I caught three raccoons that were eating all my goose grain by baiting the trap with goose grain. I also figured out their route and put the trap right where they would normally walk through.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

unprofessional posted:

PHOTOJOURNAL TIME!

This is what happens when I get home and call for the chickens.

It's like a duck Witness Protection Program. Hide in plain sight!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I love that you guys don't even notice the gorgeous roosters when there's a silly duck in the pic. "LOOK AT THE DUCK!"

Chicken the Duck gives no fucks. I don't control anything that goes on with the flock - Chicken is seriously a part of it. They follow him around as much as he follows them. He bickers with the roos every once in a while, and I even saw him protect Polka from the welsummer when he was doing his floppy neck thing. The hens seem especially linked to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The duck is the star of the shot, cant be helped. I agree though, those roosters are gorgeous, and I'm wishing that polish in the back would join in the picture for a better look. Oh well, I can go back a few pages and look at it. It seriously looks like a charcoal sketch of a chicken! :allears: