Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Here's a tumblr collection of tweets about the Obama speech showing just how over racism is!

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/day/2013/07/19

Obama's statement essentially boiled down to "As a black man my experiences in this country are markedly different from that of a white man."

And now the right media is losing their loving mind. This is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

pentyne posted:

Obama's statement essentially boiled down to "As a black man my experiences in this country are markedly different from that of a white man."

And now the right media is losing their loving mind. This is fantastic.

Are we surprised? The usual gang of cranks practically detonated over Sotomayor's "wise latina" comment.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

This actually began a day or two ago when Dailycaller sent their 16 year old ace reporter to the WH to ambush Carney with "are you going to provide George Zimmerman state protection from the evil black haters?", which was obviously the conception of a "state persecution of Zimmerman" meme, and I'm sure now that Obama has dared to make a comment about the case it's only going to fuel their stupid, righteous fire. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Here's a tumblr collection of tweets about the Obama speech showing just how over racism is!

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/day/2013/07/19

Oh god, it's like they cracked open a Youtube comments section and just poured it all over the place!

EDIT:

I mean, I've seen this kind of thing before on Twitter and everything, but it's really great for people who think "racism is over" to see it so neatly organized and easily searchable.

"Race is now immaterial in this country! #muslimniggerobama"

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 19, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh god, it's like they cracked open a Youtube comments section and just poured it all over the place!

My favorite part is watching these idiots delete their tweets once angry tumblr people descend upon them. Or like that awful girl who tweeted "Thank god for the bullet that killed Trayvon Martin, one less friend of the family" and then got fired for it :getin:

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

MaxxBot posted:

I listen to Levin on most days and IIRC peak Levin anger occurred not immediately after the election but after Boehner stripped some committee spots from Levin's favorite tea party nutjob representatives on 12/4, there's one point where he just lost it and yelled at the top of his lungs for a good 20 minutes straight.

:laffo: I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this is what you were referring to. It's only a four minute clip, though, but he's definitely in Shake Mode right out of the gate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rz3QKjwKNc

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Onion's ability to parody is being rapidly eroded by the conservative right.

...is anyone else surprised they put a non-white person in "real America"?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's not that he was race baiting, he was just throwing race bread to the race ducks and there just happen to be an astounding number of hungry race fish rushing to the surface. It's like a race-salmon-spawning, and this metaphor has gone far enough.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Anus Dei posted:

:laffo: I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this is what you were referring to. It's only a four minute clip, though, but he's definitely in Shake Mode right out of the gate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rz3QKjwKNc

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking of :allears:.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
He's not some kind of great thinker, or philosopher, or anything else. He's not Newt Gingrich! He's John Boehner!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Did a little digging, I think the last post on this page had the original "Levin = Master Shake" post.

God what a good thread that was.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I desperately want the actual master shake voice actor to call in and get into a shouting match with him, then suddenly switch sides and claim to be mark levin in the middle of the conversation.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Has anyone ever...timed these talk shows to see how much is actual content? (well, "content" but you get the idea)

I turned on Hannity at 5:47. He goes to commercial at 5:48, and comes back at 5:54. This is already six minutes of commercials, but Hannity just does a live ad about some online tax crap. So the show is technically STILL in a commercial break. At 5:56, Hannity finishes, only to quickly pitch his Fox News show for the night and then end the show. It's still 5:56. Over TEN MINUTES of his show is purely ads, be it for sponsors or shilling his own poo poo. You get maybe 25-30 minutes of content per hour. It's not much, even compared to TV and its slowly encroaching ads.

Yeah, it's no secret that the point of these programs is to sell poo poo to people that are either old, scared, or both. I recall a few years back when a caller commented to Rush on how different he sounded on the air than in person. Rush said that was because the program is delayed so it can be slight sped up. The math works: if Rush's program is 30-40 minutes long each hour, speeding him up by 1% would be just enough time to squeeze another 15-30 second ad. They're complete shills.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Rorus Raz posted:

Has anyone ever...timed these talk shows to see how much is actual content? (well, "content" but you get the idea)

I turned on Hannity at 5:47. He goes to commercial at 5:48, and comes back at 5:54. This is already six minutes of commercials, but Hannity just does a live ad about some online tax crap. So the show is technically STILL in a commercial break. At 5:56, Hannity finishes, only to quickly pitch his Fox News show for the night and then end the show. It's still 5:56. Over TEN MINUTES of his show is purely ads, be it for sponsors or shilling his own poo poo. You get maybe 25-30 minutes of content per hour. It's not much, even compared to TV and its slowly encroaching ads.

Yeah, it's no secret that the point of these programs is to sell poo poo to people that are either old, scared, or both. I recall a few years back when a caller commented to Rush on how different he sounded on the air than in person. Rush said that was because the program is delayed so it can be slight sped up. The math works: if Rush's program is 30-40 minutes long each hour, speeding him up by 1% would be just enough time to squeeze another 15-30 second ad. They're complete shills.

David Foster Wallace wrote a great essay about that little speed up mechanism, and a whole host of other interesting stuff about right wing talk radio as well.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GutBomb posted:

"Mission accomplished." ( I was really spoiled for choice on this one, and I'm not entirely convinced this is the right one)

"You are either with us, or you are with the terrorists"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Ugh, I thought one benefit to the "All media is liberal except us" meme was that the horrors spreading across the internet in regards to Obama's speech would be confined to Fox, Drudge, Breitbart, and the Daily Caller.

Seriously, everywhere is a drat Stormfront recruiting board.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rorus Raz posted:

It's talk radio. Doesn't matter if it's Hannity, Coast to Coast AM or Thom Hartmann, most of their time is spent doing promos and tie-ins to their other media.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Dr Christmas posted:

Ugh, I thought one benefit to the "All media is liberal except us" meme was that the horrors spreading across the internet in regards to Obama's speech would be confined to Fox, Drudge, Breitbart, and the Daily Caller.

Seriously, everywhere is a drat Stormfront recruiting board.

It's fascinating in that it seems the sense of powerlessness is slowly shifting from minority communities to conservative whites. Racists are really starting to sense that demographics and attitudes are beginning to shift away from them in a big way, and they are feeling powerless about it. So they're clinging to one of the few avenues of expression they have left, the internet. Desperate voices are always the loudest.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Zewle posted:

Well it looks like the white people are ignoring him. SO everything seems to be in order.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

SedanChair posted:

It's talk radio. Doesn't matter if it's Hannity, Coast to Coast AM or Thom Hartmann, most of their time is spent doing promos and tie-ins to their other media.

Yah, the cross promotion is annoying but it works, and for most shows you're going to get 39-42 minutes of actual show in any given hour. Before he left for Sirrius Howard Stern was known to run some 20+ minute commercial breaks near the end of his show. Hannity has gotten particularly bad the last few years about coming back from break with 30 seconds before his next hard break at the end of the hour, it's lovely to listen to since its all news weather commercials for almost 15 minutes.

Talk radio particularly is having a hard time dealing with the new ratings system Arbitron uses. Where guys like Hannity used to bank on impotant old men telling Arbitron they listened to (insert Hannity affiliate here) for 3 hours a day every day(!) it turns out their actual listening when monitored is just a fraction of that since they're not actually sitting by the radio for hours at a time. They're trying every trick in the book they can think of to try to get some of that time spent listening back.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Talk radio particularly is having a hard time dealing with the new ratings system Arbitron uses. Where guys like Hannity used to bank on impotant old men telling Arbitron they listened to (insert Hannity affiliate here) for 3 hours a day every day(!) it turns out their actual listening when monitored is just a fraction of that since they're not actually sitting by the radio for hours at a time. They're trying every trick in the book they can think of to try to get some of that time spent listening back.

Thank loving God for PPM (Personal People Meter) - it has done more to kill conservative talk radio than anything else. Turns out the NPR outlets get better ratings in some major markets than the RW talkers...even when they do migrate to FM they still don't translate to younger numbers (anybody over 50 is dead to most advertisers, unless it's retirement funds, gold, or Life Alert).

PPM can be gamed with as well, but trying to do that with a syndicated show is tough especially when the smaller markets are still on the diary.

Worst part of working in master control at a talk station was having to listen to Mike Gallagher and Huckabee - I would be shouting at the monitor speakers in between dubbing spots and monitoring the various feeds. I listen to Morning Edition & the BBC World Service...then check this thread to see what is going on with the usual gang. My blood pressure has dropped so much since leaving that job it isn't even funny.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

bigtom posted:

Thank loving God for PPM (Personal People Meter) - it has done more to kill conservative talk radio than anything else.

I'd give it a solid 2nd place behind mass syndication. Conservative talk still works and makes money on the local level, but the stations that Clear Channel and Cumulus are turning into syndicated jukeboxes are almost universally cratering in ratings and revenue. A lot of these stations have 50+ years of success behind them but a few years of syndicated talk (and the PPM) have all but killed them off.

Guys like Rush, Hannity, or anyone at all employed by Cumulus Media are dead men walking...they bring nobody new to the table and their audiences are literally dying off.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 20, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Guys like Rush, Hannity, or anyone at all employed by Cumulus Media are dead men walking...they bring nobody new to the table and their audiences are literally dying off.
In the future, their listeners' deaths will be like Home in Soylent Green, but with an endless loop of screaming right wing talking heads on the screen instead of wheat fields and sunrises.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How does PPM work? I'm assuming it's more objective than the Arbitron diary bullshit. And has it replaced Arbitron, or do the systems compete somehow?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zewle posted:

Who do you think keeps your lawns clean in real America?

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Zwabu posted:

How does PPM work? I'm assuming it's more objective than the Arbitron diary bullshit. And has it replaced Arbitron, or do the systems compete somehow?

You wear a little microphone clip thing and it measures if you're close enough to the radio/tv to hear what's on air. The diary is still used but only as a backup and nobody really cares about it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Zwabu posted:

It's run by Arbitron. Basically it just picks up whatever radio stations are within range (including streams).

I agree with whoever said talk radio breaks were long (at least on the syndicated side). Stern always had 10+ minute breaks while he was on terrestrial radio. I once listened to his Philadelphia affiliate and they had a 20+ minute break before ending the show.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I'd give it a solid 2nd place behind mass syndication. Conservative talk still works and makes money on the local level, but the stations that Clear Channel and Cumulus are turning into syndicated jukeboxes are almost universally cratering in ratings and revenue. A lot of these stations have 50+ years of success behind them but a few years of syndicated talk (and the PPM) have all but killed them off.

Is there anywhere I can see these numbers? It would be neat to see the historical trend.

Babby Formed posted:

You wear a little microphone clip thing and it measures if you're close enough to the radio/tv to hear what's on air. The diary is still used but only as a backup and nobody really cares about it.

I had no idea such a thing existed. What a fascinating technology!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I should think they're also particularly suffering from having fewer radios around to listen to, especially for AM radio. Lots of new equipment capable of radio only handles FM, and normally the syndicated talk radio stuff shows up on AM.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Nice Davis posted:

Is there anywhere I can see these numbers? It would be neat to see the historical trend.

This article is a good read for the basics - http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2009/07/new-ratings-technology-pummels-local-talk-radio. This article also has a side by side comparison for Seattle - http://blog.seattlepi.com/thenewschick/2009/07/16/new-seattle-radio-ratings/

The new measurement system is killing syndicated talk radio in PPM markets, but some local talk stations are doing very well under it (NJ101.5, one of my old places of employment, is #1 overall in Middlesex/Somerset/Union under PPM).

You can look up the overall 6+ numbers on AllAcces.com (registration is free), but they only go back a few months for PPM (or a few books in diary markets).

And yes...the fact that you can't buy a decent AM radio these days is also hurting talk radio - the only radios that come with AM it seems are cheap portables or car radios. Unless it's sports, almost anyone under 35 never listens to AM given all the noise issues inherent with the band. That is also why you see stations like WIP in Philly, WFAN in NYC and WEEI in Boston going to FM to make sure the demos don't get too old.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I can't wait until the FCC shuts radio down, it's a huge waste of spectrum for poo poo content that you can find elsewhere.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Radbot posted:

I can't wait until the FCC shuts radio down, it's a huge waste of spectrum for poo poo content that you can find elsewhere.
How will people in rural Oklahoma auction off their old toilets and things, though?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

Not really, it covers very little space on the spectrum, and both bands have important other uses crowding their sides.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Nice Davis posted:

I had no idea such a thing existed. What a fascinating technology!

The funny thing is, in the past under the old diary system women were far far more likely than men to fill out the diary at the end of the week. This led to the rise of countless "at work listening station of the 80's 90's and today without the rap rap rap!" clones since the goal was to get you to write down that you listened 9-5 Monday through Friday. With the new People Meter looking like a pager and the 90's being long over, they have a harder time getting women to wear them on their belt so the survey tends to be more male leaning since apparently we have no sense of style. This is one of the reasons you're seeing more and more sports stations pop up, that and the fact that live sports is about the only thing that actually brings new people to spoken word station.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
24 hour news stations also seem to do pretty well. Many of them have just recently converted from being the talk format or the news/talk format over the past few years, although others have been doing it continuously for 50 years. Like WINS out of New York City and KYW out of Philadelphia, both CBS stations, which were the first stations to do it back in 1965.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

They have 'HD Radio' which I think uses a digital signal but radio is such an established format it won't be easy to phase out.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Radbot posted:

It is a very efficient use of spectrum given that the FM band occupies only 20 MHz of space, and the AM broadcast band even less.

IBOC is a failure like AM Stereo due to the expense of the receivers and poor reception (I was an early adopter and spent $625 on a Boston Acoustics Receptor HD...that died a year later).

24 news stations are some of the top billers in the country, with Washington D.C's WTOP the highest billing station in America, with WCBS-AM #3, WBBM #6, WINS #7 & WFAN #8. Only one talk station, KFI, made the top ten list.

Why do you think 50kw blowtorches like WABC & WOR run penis pill and other snake oil infomercials all weekend long? Can't make any money selling ad time since the programming has been gutted, so give it to the dollar a holler people to make a buck.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

bigtom posted:

It is a very efficient use of spectrum given that the FM band occupies only 20 MHz of space, and the AM broadcast band even less.

IBOC is a failure like AM Stereo due to the expense of the receivers and poor reception (I was an early adopter and spent $625 on a Boston Acoustics Receptor HD...that died a year later).

24 news stations are some of the top billers in the country, with Washington D.C's WTOP the highest billing station in America, with WCBS-AM #3, WBBM #6, WINS #7 & WFAN #8. Only one talk station, KFI, made the top ten list.

Why do you think 50kw blowtorches like WABC & WOR run penis pill and other snake oil infomercials all weekend long? Can't make any money selling ad time since the programming has been gutted, so give it to the dollar a holler people to make a buck.

WABC and WOR are respectively owned by Cumulus and Clear Channel. That explains a lot.

WFAN was once the highest billing station in the nation even though it's overall ratings were never that high. Sports radio is that profitable, thus that's why it's being favored. WTOP is on top not just because it's the highest-rated station in DC, but it benefits from the type of advertising you would only find in DC.

For a good case of what's happening, here's one case in Boston where sports radio and people getting tired of politics helped signal the end of an FM talk station earlier this year:

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/bottom_line/2013/01/greater-media-ceo-talks-about-wtkk.html?ana=twt

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I guessing from that article that "rhythmic" has replaced "urban" as the preferred industry euphemism for black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Install Gentoo posted:

24 hour news stations also seem to do pretty well. Many of them have just recently converted from being the talk format or the news/talk format over the past few years, although others have been doing it continuously for 50 years. Like WINS out of New York City and KYW out of Philadelphia, both CBS stations, which were the first stations to do it back in 1965.

WWJ is the longtime news station in Detroit, and it always does really well. Traffic and weather on the '8s, and there's always people driving that tune in for that segment.