Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I started playing The After Years and I have never been less excited in a video game before in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It gets worse, mate. At least After Years does a few things right, and actually manages to have badass moments.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

precision posted:

I started playing The After Years and I have never been less excited in a video game before in my life.

The battle system has some nice refinements to it over FF4, but almost literally everything else about it sucks hot poo poo.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Momomo posted:

Considering the lack of MP, having items in the game felt really out of place to begin with, so it didn't bother me that they were useless. The only ones I ever used were Librascopes.

I meant the accessories. They were, with few exceptions, completely mediocre.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

SSNeoman posted:

I meant the accessories. They were, with few exceptions, completely mediocre.

I never bothered to switch out my first accessories because there wasn't any point in doing so.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Coughing Hobo posted:

The battle system has some nice refinements to it over FF4, but almost literally everything else about it sucks hot poo poo.

As someone who is replaying it right now I really like it for some inexplicable reason.

As I type I'm grinding up Porom on Mt. Ordeals so I can do her Challenge Dungeon easier. :shepface:

And I'm liking it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have literally played RPGMaker games that are more engaging than The After Years so far.

Like, it's amazing how little of a gently caress I give about everyone and everything.

At least the intro cinematic is cool.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You don't play TAY for the plot. You play it for the bite sized little RPG experiences and the actually pretty fun massive final dungeon.

Edit: You're playing the Complete Collection, right?

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 20, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr Pepper posted:

You don't play TAY for the plot. You play it for the bite sized little RPG experiences and the actually pretty fun massive final dungeon.

Edit: You're playing the Complete Collection, right?

The PSP version yeah. Is the Interlude worth playing?

At what point does the bite sized RPG experience even start? Right now I've just gotten bitchslapped around by Biggs and Wedge and did a boring dungeon.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

precision posted:

The PSP version yeah. Is the Interlude worth playing?

Not unless you like triple-retreads of Mount Hobs (complete with Bomb fight), the Sealed Cave or the Tower of Babil! :suicide:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Interlude is like an hour and a half and it's basically run around a dungeon or two and a couple boss fights.

It doesn't even answer any questions about what happened between FF4 and TAY.

The "bite sized experience" is that the game is divided up into episodes, each one is around two hours to complete. I'd say you're 1/3rd of the way through Ceodore's Tale right now. If you do the challenge dungeons it can expand a bit more time.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Dr Pepper posted:

It doesn't even answer any questions about what happened between FF4 and TAY.

gently caress, it raises more questions! Interlude was created with the express purpose of bridging a couple plot points and it didn't even do that properly.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

I didn't know there was a gameplay trailer of FFXV, so I watched and it indeed looks gorgeous, but for God's sake that ANIME HAIR. It's really not even hair, it's these segments and pieces of some CGI-substance flailing and waing around, it sticks out like a sore thumb and looks goofy. The hair in MGSV trailer wasn't as bad, but it still looked a bit weird, it's way too shiny and it kinda.. glows? I don't know. I understand that in anime and last generation of games you had to distinguish characters from eatch other a lot of times by their hair and clothing, but now when ther graphics are good enough to actually give different facial feautures to everybody, you don't need cartoon logic anymore.

But then again it really isn't even "anime" anymore, now it's popstar hair. Pretty close where my parents live lives a couple of burmese families and one day I saw a 14-year old burmese kid with exact replica of Cloud's hair, blonde and all. That poo poo didn't flail around, it was made of goddamn concrete.

I'd take Shepard's military haircut instead on asian idol-throwups every day.

I can't wait until hair technology has progressed to the stage that a characters' hair will actually get wet when they're in water. Uncharted had dynamic wet clothing, but Nathan Drake's hair was solid as a rock.

At least they all have reasonable hair colours now. Noctis' old design, with the silver hair and full leather get-up, reminded me too much of Kadaj from Advent Children.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

That loving Sned posted:

I can't wait until hair technology has progressed to the stage that a characters' hair will actually get wet when they're in water. Uncharted had dynamic wet clothing, but Nathan Drake's hair was solid as a rock.

The latest Tomb Raider did that with TressFX. When wet the hair is visibly heavier and more matted down than when dry. Real time realistic hair is still quite a ways off though.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeahhh that's so stupid I've just lost any interest in it.

Edit: And it has stupid "makes sense" design too without any thought on what makes a a game fun.

It's fine. You should give it a chance.

Don't let a few personal flourishes in the dialog keep you from enjoying what I think is the best FFVI mod out there.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Winks posted:

The latest Tomb Raider did that with TressFX. When wet the hair is visibly heavier and more matted down than when dry. Real time realistic hair is still quite a ways off though.

I had that in mind, but I really need to get around to playing that on my PC to see it in action. It uses a huge proportion of the system resources apparently, but it is one of the first actual implementations in a big name game.

I'd be all over custom outfits and hairstyles in FFXV. As cool as it would be to dress as Cloud and swing his buster sword around, I'd murder for a Neku costume, so I could play as him in a full 3D game. Although his exaggerated proportions did look pretty weird in KH3D, since he's normally hand drawn, it could work if it's just a costume and hairstyle for Noctis.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

PhilippAchtel posted:

It's fine. You should give it a chance.

Don't let a few personal flourishes in the dialog keep you from enjoying what I think is the best FFVI mod out there.

He made Steal useless because "stealing from a bear makes no sense! :downs:"

He ignores the fact that 99% of the enemies you fight in Final Fantasy games aren't human but monsters and wild animals. So by making only humanish enemies have stuff to steal from you render a big part of Locke pointless.

Same with removing the Morph summon and good rare steals and drops. If I want to go out of my way to find super rare gear in rare encounters then it's my right.

The faux-mature addition of cussing to the script is really just the icing on the cake.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just think it's weird that the only characters who get X-Magic in that mod are Strago, Locke and Mog. And not, you know, any of the three best mages in the game, two of whom are government experiments designed to be magical superweapons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like the spirit of the mod, at least. I think FF6 would be a lot more fun and replayable with some sort of IZJS-esque modification.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's certainly an improvement over the usual FF hacks that are made by people with Aspergers whose idea of fun is a hack that requires you to min-max every character and memorize every enemy pack to get through.

e: As regards the X-Magic relic, I think the reason that it's not given to Celes and Terra is that they get the MP -50% relics instead, and he probably didn't want you to feel like the one of them you used had two mandatory relics?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 20, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

I like the spirit of the mod, at least. I think FF6 would be a lot more fun and replayable with some sort of IZJS-esque modification.

Well hopefully not too IZJS-esque since IZJS if loving brutally punishing for any gently caress ups and kind of not fun in general by the end of it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Walt what, exactly does IZJS "punish" You for?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Pepper posted:

It makes you play FF12 again. :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm not sure what he's talking about because you can easily beat the game with any party set up.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

He made Steal useless because "stealing from a bear makes no sense! :downs:"

He ignores the fact that 99% of the enemies you fight in Final Fantasy games aren't human but monsters and wild animals. So by making only humanish enemies have stuff to steal from you render a big part of Locke pointless.

Did this man ever play a JRPG? Why does he hate fun?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I see nothing wrong with that :colbert:
Now if only they remove the bullshit Paling, my FFXII experience would be completely sublime.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well hopefully not too IZJS-esque since IZJS if loving brutally punishing for any gently caress ups and kind of not fun in general by the end of it.

What was your party composition? The only major way to screw yourself as far as I can think of is by making all your guys the same class.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A fate that should not be placed on mortal men.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Renoistic posted:

I guess when Serah became a PC, S-E decided that if they were actually acting like they're engaged it would upset the the creepy otakus and shippers.
It makes every scene with those two hilarious. The biggest laugh I got out of FFXIII-2 was when Serah explained why Snow wasn't around in the beginning.
Something like:

*Snow gives Serah his amulet*
(Snow) -Here, hang on to this for a while. When I get back, I'll have Lightning with me! Then she has to give us her blessing!
(Serah narrating) -And that was the last time I saw Snow.

It's just such a Snow thing to do. He believes in Serah's crazy story unconditionally, decides to do everything in his power to help her,
and still only manages to make her more miserable.

You kinda hit the nail on the head. It was annoying to see him run off, but that's certainly consistent characterization.

I really don't want to believe, though, that the reason that Snow & Serah weren't shown together more was because of neckbeards who need their waifus, yet there's still the nagging suspicion that that's exactly the case. :(

Maybe Lightning Returns will fix this. Maybe that Lumina chick really is Evil Serah, and she's all together and lovey with Fuckoff-Axe Snow, and it will all be very heartwarming.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Azure_Horizon posted:

A fate that should not be placed on mortal men.

Better than playing FF13. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kyrosiris posted:

Better than playing FF13. :colbert:

Indeed. FF12 might be a mess in places, but that's because the director got pushed out by Square-Enix suits partway through. FF13 is a mess because nobody making it was smart enough to realize they were making an awful game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

XII fans and XIII fans always seem so opposed to each other. This might be "every game is the worst game in the series" fandom but these two in particular just never get along. I guess it's because XIII was obviously trying to be the complete opposite of XII in both gameplay and story.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

NikkolasKing posted:

XII fans and XIII fans always seem so opposed to each other. This might be "every game is the worst game in the series" fandom but these two in particular just never get along. I guess it's because XIII was obviously trying to be the complete opposite of XII in both gameplay and story.

I would wager because those 2 games are the most put upon in the series since they don't get the free nostalgia pass and the 2 fanbases are busy in a pointless pissing match over which one is actually the worst/no really it's brilliant and just misunderstood.

Which is funny since 12 is hot garbage and 13 is brilliant and misunderstood. :colbert:

12 is ok.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

12 has one of the best settings in the franchise and does a pretty cool job of expanding on the whole Ivalice deal and has some neat poo poo here and there. Also, some of the politics stuff is pretty well done.

Actually putting some thought into it 12 and 13 have really similar plots ('Hey guys, lets wrestle control of humanity away from our mystic god-thing overlords!') with 12 feeling a bit more...coherent in that regard. The Fal'Cie are all kind of dumb in execution and design, and at least the Occuria showcase a tiny bit of personality in what little we see of them.

Man I hope the Fal'cie are done being plot points so I can stop trying to figure out what they actually look like/are supposed to do.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Done right, the plot of 12 puts a more "rise of nations" spin on the mortals-ascendant theme. Here, you have a regular political war on top of the ruling parties grappling over mystical stuff that could potentially ruin everything.

Done right, the plot of 13 focuses more on the individual heroics, where people at odds with one another unite to overthrow divine tyranny, only to have to work their way through a maelstrom of metaphysical cause-and-effect that their rise to power inadvertently created.

There's definitely nothing wrong at all with telling the same type of story in very different ways -- in fact, it's perhaps something that different titles within the same series should do. These stories are fairly good ones, but altogether rather poorly told.

Still enjoyable for what they were, but very disappointing because they could have been so much more.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 20, 2013

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I fuckin' love Ivalice. The setting and the whole "politics but with magic" poo poo is so cash. Even though a lot of people seemingly have issues with the more magical part of that equation in terms of FFT.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Tactics Advance ruined XII for me. When I saw that there would be judges in the game, I thought they'd be these all powerful beings that could do whatever they wanted with people and the laws because that's how it worked in Advance. Nope! Just regular people in really elaborate armor, and only one of them gets any meaningful story. Oh well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF12 would be the best game in the main line series if it had more than 2 hours of plot out of 70 hours of gameplay.

FFX-2 is the best in the series that still has a number attached.

13 is alright. It suffers badly from "who they gently caress are these people again"-itis and tonally is a completely mess that is also emotionally draining because it has about 364 hours of plot in 30 hours of, let's be charitable and use the word "gameplay".

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

NikkolasKing posted:

I like them both.

FF13 has the best combat and pacing and FF12 has the least :rolleyes: story and while the engine/pacing aren't by themselves great a player can make the game fun by sequence breaking or doing silly challenges.

I'm of the opinion that the FFs generally get better with each release except for 13-2 which was square's fault for listening to its terrible, terrible fans.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I like them both.

FF13 has the best combat and pacing and FF12 has the least :rolleyes: story and while the engine/pacing aren't by themselves great a player can make the game fun by sequence breaking or doing silly challenges.

That would mean 13 is the best game in the Final Fantasy franchise. Nothing else to add just gonna let that sentence sit there and fester.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Change the thread title to Final Fantasy XIII is the best game in the series thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That would mean 13 is the best game in the Final Fantasy franchise. Nothing else to add just gonna let that sentence sit there and fester.

I have tried to go back and replay 7 and 8 like five times in the past several years and you know what? They're terrible. They are seriously just not fun games anymore. I would replay 13 over either of them any day.

8 is especially terrible because so much of the game is just "walk here, ok, now walk over there". The plot is sub-Birdemic poo poo.

9 is still really good though, not gonna lie.