Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

This is just anecdotal, but it feels like the MaA won't be caught up to by the chase mechanic, unless it's another MaA doing the chasing. I have never been caught up to if I just decide to haul rear end.

A vanguard charge will catch an MaA, especially a sword charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Bloodloss posted:

Are there any good streamers or YouTubers who are really good at the game? Preferably ones who explain their actions and talk about the game in depth. I didn't find the basic/advanced combat tutorial videos particularly helpful.

Things have gotten weird since the last patch for people who are "really good at the game."

Most of them are playing Chivalry Promod now. It is a community made patch that basically reverts the game to the last patch. It may fizzle out and bring them back into the larger community, but right now they are giving it a shot. Hexen ACI had the best youtube channel for the game but he has switched to Promod. Most of the in-depth strategy and stuff on there is no longer applicable since said patch.

edit- If you are brand new at a game I wouldn't worry so much about being bad at it. If you pay attention to what those guys are doing to you in 1v1 mode, you can crib their techniques.

Pay attention to the animations of the weapons. They don't hit exactly on the crosshair, they hit where the weapon goes. For example, you want to attack to the right of the opponent with the maul's overhead- not dead center.

1v1 fighting is about timing and distance. Whatever weapon you have, try to abuse whatever it's advantages are. (If you got a maul, just trade hits with the guy) Don't pick a wacky weapon like the flail and stick to whatever you pick until you have a good idea of it's timings and distance. You can get huge KDR in TO/etc just by good fight selection.

The VG is the best class, especially for a beginner. Try to attack so that the opponent is at the tip of your weapon range. If he blocks it, it is okay (assuming you have a longer weapon) because he'll get bounced back pretty far.

Getting around shields really isn't tough once you have a good idea of where your weapon is at. A good rule of thumb is overheads to get around the left of the shield, and stabs around the right. Or just kick 'em.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 19, 2013

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Roobanguy posted:

This is just anecdotal, but it feels like the MaA won't be caught up to by the chase mechanic, unless it's another MaA doing the chasing. I have never been caught up to if I just decide to haul rear end.

Also, the best part about this patch is that you can finally loving save browser details. Goddamn that was annoying.

Not 100% sure on this, but I remember reading that all classes run at the same speed when chasing, so everyone can catch up to a man at arms running away (that's the point of the chase mechanic in the first place). It could just be that it's hard to catch up with men at arms because they're loving fast in the first place.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
What exactly changed in the last patch that has caused everyone to jump ship for a mod?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

treat posted:

What exactly changed in the last patch that has caused everyone to jump ship for a mod?

I think a lot of the older players don't like the changes to the stamina system, because it's something you actually have to keep track of. It seems amusing that a lot of them are complaining about how the game is more "noob-friendly" now, but don't have any stamina management skills at all.

I just wish they'd fix the stupid vanguard overhead attack, losing half your health when you get dinged by the freaking wooden part of a polearm on its slow backswing is idiotic.

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 20, 2013

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

treat posted:

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14801

It isn't one thing in particular. They made a humongous amount of changes.

In those players' defense, this was the biggest patch to a game's mechanics I have ever seen (one that had been out for months). For a game to be out this long and so many basic mechanics to get changed all at once was shocking.

If you want to see what was possible pre-patch, this is a decent example of two top players dueling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu289RZRkco

It was pretty awesome what you could do at the highest level of play. Although, there weren't very many players who were that good. The game never really lent itself to competitive play. It seems like the vast majority of the community likes the patch.

edit- They have also been doing some pretty funny stuff with the mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Et5sFwYHI

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 20, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Games fine. I like the new stamina changes since I still own mason butts with it so it's fine. Kill an archer, be an archer, shoot a guy in the head everythings alllright.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I play better with these changes, over the free weekend.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I seem to crash every 10 minutes like clockwork. I now remember why I never played much to begin with.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The unwillingness of "pros" to adapt to anything never fails to amuse me :allears:

Anyways, in my experience a fight against somebody who knows what he's doing it often comes down to stamina. Parrying an attack and completely whiffing one costs you stamina, but an attack that connects does not. Try to establish a stamina-advantage by dodging any hits you don't really to parry and by getting in more attacks than your enemy does (as long as they connect, obviously). Once you have that advantage, you can just keep on trading blows/parries until your opponent runs out of stamina, then finish him by agressively pressing the attack when he can't parry.
Of course you should always try to sneak attacks past their defense through feints and movement, but if that's not working reliably it's useful to have a general game plan in mind. This is especially easy if you're either faster than your opponent or significantly outrange him.

Soaring Hawk
Sep 1, 2005
Perfection is our nature. When we cease to inhibit it, it will be so.

Bloodloss posted:

I got this yesterday and started playing. First impressions are good. It's really fun, brutal and chaotic.

It's starting to grate to some extent though. It may just be because I'm new and have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm not sure how to be 'good' and reliably win

//snip//

Are there any good streamers or YouTubers who are really good at the game? Preferably ones who explain their actions and talk about the game in depth. I didn't find the basic/advanced combat tutorial videos particularly helpful.

You need to improve your game. What looks like magic to you takes a lot of skill and timing. Parrying a good attacker for a new player in Chivalry is as difficult as landing a headshot in Counter Strike. This is what makes the game so drat addicting and fun. It is challenging. And once you get really good at it, fighting another skilled player is a very, very rewarding experience.

A Chivalry tutorial you probably haven't seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1CyH_AnMM

Duels by high level players, including analysis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu289RZRkco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfyee_WE7D4

Watch these, get into a server, drink a cup of coffee, make sure your FOV is at 100 or even higher (wide screen monitor), and be steady (calm) so you can react quickly to attacks and deliver counter attacks in kind.

:black101:

Bonus footage of 2 versus 2 Chivalry tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB7-L1dfbqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNqUj1t0Tig

These guys are loving PRO GAMERS. Be sure to watch in 1080p.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
What POV do you guys mostly use in this game?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Is the overhand hammer smash blockable? I swear every time I get a parry up for it my head just explodes anyway

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Is the overhand hammer smash blockable? I swear every time I get a parry up for it my head just explodes anyway

Your weapon has to come into contact with their weapon's tip to successfully parry, generally.

This becomes somewhat hard to do if they're right up in your face and the tip is going through your model. It's honestly why I think they should make blocking be based on the haft, which among other things is more realistic.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to bind voice clips to a mouse button? I got a pubbie to ragequit a ffa server last night by repeatedly stabbing him in the face with my archer's dagger and would love to bind "help" to an unused mouse button for extra fun.

On another note, Agartha archer warcrys are the best. They sound like they're going through prostate surgery without anesthesia.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Tallgeese posted:

Your weapon has to come into contact with their weapon's tip to successfully parry, generally.

This becomes somewhat hard to do if they're right up in your face and the tip is going through your model. It's honestly why I think they should make blocking be based on the haft, which among other things is more realistic.

Oh it's the tip? Then yeah, when they're in my face the tip of their weapon is basically behind my model. That's cool.

edit: I played the tutorial, and unlocked none of the "play the tutorial" achievements. What.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

One thing every new player reading this thread should take away is the following:

~*~ The game is shoddy enough for things to work wrong all the time, but its so fun that you shouldn't worry about it.~*~

Attacks will go through shields to hit you. Your contacts will clip through them and not register. You'll die for stupid reasons. This is not the kind of game you should be trying to go PRO G4M1NG at, it is an amazing fun game whose flaws you will forgive because YELLING AND MAULS

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Chivalry: You'll Never Have So Much Fun Dying

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Chivalry: You'll Never Have So Much Fun Dying

Amen. Sometimes I don't even kill anyone in a life but I feel very satisfied.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Do you mean the smaller warhammer or the big one (maul)? Because with the maul some players like to look up before overheading which causes their attack to be delayed. You can sometimes trick players to parry too early when doing this.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Oh it's the tip? Then yeah, when they're in my face the tip of their weapon is basically behind my model. That's cool.

edit: I played the tutorial, and unlocked none of the "play the tutorial" achievements. What.
Nothing works right in this game. Press c and charge.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Charlotte Hornets posted:

What POV do you guys mostly use in this game?

I prefer the 3D view since it gives a bit better situational awareness, 1st person is a bit better for one on one dueling due to the combat system.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Nothing works right in this game. Press c and charge.

No no, charge and THEN press C. Otherwise you'll do an animated taunt and be stuck there.

IMO, removing the mobile battlecry as a separate button was a bad choice :colbert:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Third person is for cowards. Archery is for cowards. Retreating is for cowards. Anything I do not like is for cowards.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Reichstag posted:

Third person is for cowards. Archery is for cowards. Retreating is for cowards. Anything I do not like is for cowards.

Not being on fire is for cowards.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

MadJackMcJack posted:

Not being on fire is for cowards.

I got on a FFA duel server once (as in constant FFA but everyone did one-on-one duels) as man-at-arms. At some point I started my duels by setting myself on fire, some of my duelists got in on the fun and got up close so that we'd both start our duel on fire. Some of the most fun I'd had.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tallgeese posted:

Problem there is that direction becomes pretty meaningless for blocking at that point, and really you just have to worry about timing. I thought it was a really bizarre thing to do until I remembered how you could get into infinite parry contests so dumbly easily in a bunch of other, similar games.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That did cross my mind, but wouldn't you run out of stamina sooner rather than later, therefore making eternal parrying contests impossible? You'd prioritize just avoiding the attack just to save the stamina.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jesus, third-person isn't so much cheating because of the massive locational awareness you get but mostly because you can tell exactly where the gently caress the game thinks your weapon is swinging. I went from not being able to hit a single thing with the Knight's flail to exploding people's heads with it like nothing.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 20, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tallgeese posted:

That did cross my mind, but wouldn't you run out of stamina sooner rather than later, therefore making eternal parrying contests impossible? You'd prioritize just avoiding the attack just to save the stamina.

It might not be eternal but it'd be pretty close. You can still toss up a parry when you have like no stamina, you just get stunned afterward. So you'd need one person to have a fast weapon and enough stamina to throw a quick one-two punch to get a hit in without the opportunity to parry. And that's at zero stamina or right at it for your opponent...pretty narrow use-case.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cowcaster posted:

Jesus, third-person isn't so much cheating because of the massive locational awareness you get but mostly because you can tell exactly where the gently caress the game thinks your weapon is swinging. I went from not being able to hit a single thing with the Knight's flail to exploding people's heads with it like nothing.

I find it helps the most with swinging weapons, whereas stabbing weapons benefit from the accuracy of first person. At least with the Vanguard. One thing that always feels like cheating is hiding behind a pillar in third person and waiting for someone to run at you, then starting a swing or stab before you pop out so there is literally no time for them to react.

CreepyGuy9000
Jul 9, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I find it helps the most with swinging weapons, whereas stabbing weapons benefit from the accuracy of first person. At least with the Vanguard. One thing that always feels like cheating is hiding behind a pillar in third person and waiting for someone to run at you, then starting a swing or stab before you pop out so there is literally no time for them to react.

It may feel like cheating but it is hilarious.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can get why some people would see third person view as cheating but to me it feels like a how a game like this should be played. Limiting yourself to first person restricts so much information. It's much easier to dodge and fight when you have a better view of your surroundings. It's an option available to everyone though so you only have yourself to blame if you don't use it.

Honestly one of my biggest problems with this game at the moment is that a lot of the maps are cluttered with poo poo that blocks your movement. Getting stuck on something can easily mean your death, so I find it really annoying that sometimes I'll get stuck on a foot high rock or the invisible edge of a post. Given the nature of the game they should design the maps to have as little clutter as possible, and make the things that do block your movement really clear rather than tiny bumps.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Coolguye posted:

It might not be eternal but it'd be pretty close. You can still toss up a parry when you have like no stamina, you just get stunned afterward. So you'd need one person to have a fast weapon and enough stamina to throw a quick one-two punch to get a hit in without the opportunity to parry. And that's at zero stamina or right at it for your opponent...pretty narrow use-case.

True, true.

I guess I'm just strongly against facehugging. May have something to do with the fact that I prefer playing with a pad and have limited turn speed.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Seriously, I was one of the people who thought men-at-arms were relatively weak, and now I'm a norse-sword-stabbing machine with third person on, topping the scoreboards. It's like night and day.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the hatchet bugged or something? I swear it has way longer reach than it should. I played against some Maa using it today and it seemed like they could hit me from way farther than I thought they would. Kind of annoying since I'm not parrying shots I think will miss only for them to end up hitting anyways.

Also, the description for shields says that they restrict your movement. Does this only happen when you are holding the shield or does just having it equipped slow you down or something? I haven't really noticed a significant difference in movement when I switch to my kite shield.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 21, 2013

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The bardiche is a balanced and well thought out weapon :shepface:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Axemen have a +50% against melee. They rule, so don't knock it.

I did not notice any difference with shields. I'll try when I get home.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Robot Randy posted:

The bardiche is a balanced and well thought out weapon :shepface:

Oh man, wait until you have to deal with a halberd or brandistock :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Is the hatchet bugged or something? I swear it has way longer reach than it should. I played against some Maa using it today and it seemed like they could hit me from way farther than I thought they would. Kind of annoying since I'm not parrying shots I think will miss only for them to end up hitting anyways.

It's probably just lag either on your end or theirs. Did you see what their ping was? I've been hit lots of times by weapons I can clearly see passing in front of me. It's pretty bullshitty, but there's not much you can do about it except try to find a server with a low ping.

• Locked thread