Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Brannock posted:

Has anyone managed to convince another civ (that you did not liberate) to vote for you as either World Congress Host or World Leader?

babypolis posted:

Anyone complaining about Diplomatic Victory being too easy or the AI too passive needs to put more Alexander in this game. Goddamn that guy is a mega fucker.

Last game I had resigned myself to letting Alexander rule the world congress. I had like... 9 delegates and he had 24 or something like that. I'd been voting for him as host every time to get diplo points. On the 4th or 5th vote for new host, he mysteriously voted for me with every single vote. He repeated that for all votes to follow.

He was on the other side of the map and I was going for a culture victory but hadn't yet influenced him. Only a nominal military to give the Zulu second thoughts. He hated me (Guarded) because I'd gobbled up all of his wonders as Egypt and was a different ideology. No clue what that was about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Echo Chamber posted:

Sometimes I do things besides actually playing the game.

I would love a giant version of this

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

On the other hand, in my current game, Alex couldn't give a gently caress about city states (he pledges to protect them all, but isn't allied with any). Me and Arabia are fighting over them, currently sitting at 6 apiece going on turn 250.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

BNW is 30% off at GMG

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Skyl3lazer posted:

I would love a giant version of this
Sadly, IMGUR adds JPG artifacts to my largest version of this, but if you want to go nuts...
http://imgur.com/a/OuY68

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Try cubeupload, I don't think it compresses

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Echo Chamber posted:

Sadly, IMGUR adds JPG artifacts to my largest version of this, but if you want to go nuts...
http://imgur.com/a/OuY68

The fullsize versions look fine, it's just the thumbnails that get messed up.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Heh don't you just love that Venice start with a mountain next to you, on a river/coast with one desert tile next to you.

Oh and I have marble as a lux as well. :shepicide:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

victrix posted:

Try cubeupload, I don't think it compresses
I preshrunk them before putting them together. http://i.cubeupload.com/uoZKzy.png

uPen posted:

The fullsize versions look fine, it's just the thumbnails that get messed up.
They didn't mess up each small one, just the pic of them all together.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd pay good money for a Colonization DLC or even a mod for Civ 5. I picked up the Civ4 Colonization expansion with the TAC mod and it's great.

As for Civ5 I picked up the gold edition upgrade (this is seriously an excellent option, holy poo poo) and I have been playing some Brave new world but I suck so much at this game, I'll have to practice more I guess. Right now I'm just watching Guardsman Bob play multiplayer with his friends and steamrolling off ridiculous starting locations. Last game as the Aztec's he got a ton of rivers, 3 silver 1 gold in his capitol and mount Sinai in another city not far away. His other city was 2 silver, 2 stone, horses and cows plus the great barrier reef. He was simply unstoppable :stare:

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Bit of an out of game question here: I have Civ 5 and the Gold Edition upgrade, that includes Gods and Kings, yes? So all I need to be fully up to date is Brave New World? My need for Civ crack cannot be fully satiated unless I have it all.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Half of Dracula posted:

Bit of an out of game question here: I have Civ 5 and the Gold Edition upgrade, that includes Gods and Kings, yes? So all I need to be fully up to date is Brave New World? My need for Civ crack cannot be fully satiated unless I have it all.

That is correct.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Half of Dracula posted:

Just check your dlc list in your game library or the store pages for the dlc to make sure but yes, you should have G&K.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I just discovered that you can found a religion in a city other than your capitol! I wonder if this means I can found Judaism in Jerusalem next time I'm in a position to do so?

E: I was just dicking around and walked my prophet to my second city to see if I could do it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You guys! :argh: A capitol is a building in which a legislative body meets. A capital is a city which is the seat of a government.

:spergin:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You guys! :argh: A capitol is a building in which a legislative body meets. A capital is a city which is the seat of a government.

So a capital can produce both capitol and capital?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It can produce A capitol and capital, to be grammatically correct.

*ducks*

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

To get back to Civ, I guess you could plant a city in the middle of a bunch of other civs and city states, and spread your faith that way. Can a non-capital holy city be razed?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What are good mods that are updated for Brave New World?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pvt.Scott posted:

To get back to Civ, I guess you could plant a city in the middle of a bunch of other civs and city states, and spread your faith that way. Can a non-capital holy city be razed?

Yes, faiths do not grant it "protected status" considering you can easily wipe out religions.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yes, faiths do not grant it "protected status" considering you can easily wipe out religions.
Unfortunately, if you don't completely destroy the founding civ, they'll often bounce back with weirdly inflated Faith income by the midgame. In one game, I wiped out Spain's religion by taking their capital and killing the Holy City with an Inquisitor and prophet-bombing the gently caress out of them. Five turns later (on Marathon), they bought enough Inquisitors to root out my religion. Ten turns after that, they'd afforded enough Missionaries to re-spread it everywhere and send some my way.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I do not loving get how there's three or four people who regularly post in here, who I can only assume see the word "capital" spelled correctly hundreds of times every week (If they play at least one game of Civ a week) and still bungle it every single time.

Has anyone ever had an issue with the game forcing you to use quick combat, even if you have that option disabled?

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 21, 2013

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

thehumandignity posted:

Has anyone ever had an issue with the game forcing you to use quick combat, even if you have that option disabled?

That seems to happen to me whenever I to switch between strategic view and normal view a few times.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

thehumandignity posted:

I do not loving get how there's three or four people who regularly post in here, who I can only assume see the word "capital" spelled correctly hundreds of times every week (If they play at least one game of Civ a week) and still bungle it every single time.

It's been slowly building up in me until it reached critical sperg mass and had to say something. :v:

The White Dragon posted:

Unfortunately, if you don't completely destroy the founding civ, they'll often bounce back with weirdly inflated Faith income by the midgame. In one game, I wiped out Spain's religion by taking their capital and killing the Holy City with an Inquisitor and prophet-bombing the gently caress out of them. Five turns later (on Marathon), they bought enough Inquisitors to root out my religion. Ten turns after that, they'd afforded enough Missionaries to re-spread it everywhere and send some my way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't missionaries and inquisitors always of their home city's religion no matter what? If there are no cities of a religion at all left and the holy city's internal pressure is being out-pressured, there is absolutely nothing that can be done to save it, I thought. Maybe Spain had a random city of that religion on some rear end end of the world somewhere. If you want a religion gone, you have to completely eradicate it, not just make it irrelevant.

On another note, I have a feeling that very few people are playing Indonesia because very few people are talking about it. That's fair, they're probably one of the most boring sounding expansion civs on paper. But oh my god, the Kris Swordsman's Invulnerability promotion. :stare: +30% defense, +20HP when healing. Stack drill, fortify outside a city in a forest tile, and watch as a city and its archers can't actually keep up with your healing as the AI foolishly lets that one unit soak all the damage for the entire siege. Also useful in general combat as you can put them in the most obnoxious spots. Give it march and you win the game. Yes, they're a swordsman unique, but they keep their unique promotions when upgrading. Another fun Kris promotion: Restlessness. 3 movement and two attacks a turn. It's like a better Impi almost. Are there any other really good Kris promotions? I got a flanking bonus one that's meh, and evil spirits which is actually a negative promotion. That one became a sacrificial lamb in a hurry.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 21, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Odobenidae posted:

That seems to happen to me whenever I to switch between strategic view and normal view a few times.

Oh. That makes sense. I always do that, but I've never seen this happen before because of it.

I guess I should just hurry up and wrap up this game. Once my glorious communist bloc of pre-Columbian civilizations has crushed the fascist Polacks and our Turkish comrades on the other continent finish mopping up the decadent, freedom-loving Indians, my culture victory will be cemented. :ussr:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

On another note, I have a feeling that very few people are playing Indonesia because very few people are talking about it. That's fair, they're probably one of the most boring sounding expansion civs on paper. But oh my god, the Kris Swordsman's Invulnerability promotion. :stare: +30% defense, +20HP when healing. Stack drill, fortify outside a city in a forest tile, and watch as a city and its archers can't actually keep up with your healing as the AI foolishly lets that one unit soak all the damage for the entire siege. Also useful in general combat as you can put them in the most obnoxious spots. Give it march and you win the game. Yes, they're a swordsman unique, but they keep their unique promotions when upgrading. Another fun Kris promotion: Restlessness. 3 movement and two attacks a turn. It's like a better Impi almost. Are there any other really good Kris promotions? I got a flanking bonus one that's meh, and evil spirits which is actually a negative promotion. That one became a sacrificial lamb in a hurry.

There are 7 promotions - 2 straight penalties (Evil Spirits is a messy combat penalty, Enemy Blade takes attrition in enemy territory), 2 medium bonuses (Ambition, penalty when defending but big bonus when attacking, and Sneak Attack with it's mediocre flanking bonus), and 3 really loving good ones (Restlessness and Invulnerability which you mention, Heroism which makes them a built-in great general and Recruitment which tops off their HP if they get a kill). The fact that Restlessness keeps all the way through MechI is what makes them incredible, and really great for Quick games and the like where getting Range Logistic Gatling Guns is basically impossible. Indonesia is just generally fantastic at a whole bunch of things. Their UA is great and Candis are so good that i honest to god took Peace Gardens in a recent game.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Whenever I play a scenario on the Earth type map I only get Mount Fuji as natural wonder, never anything else. Is that normal ?

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Demiurge4 posted:

What are good mods that are updated for Brave New World?

If you get bored of the political game, try the Civ 4 diplomacy mod. It adds a lot of new diplomatic stuff like vassalage, trading techs and gift giving /asking if you're DOFed with a civ.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tulip posted:

There are 7 promotions - 2 straight penalties (Evil Spirits is a messy combat penalty, Enemy Blade takes attrition in enemy territory), 2 medium bonuses (Ambition, penalty when defending but big bonus when attacking, and Sneak Attack with it's mediocre flanking bonus), and 3 really loving good ones (Restlessness and Invulnerability which you mention, Heroism which makes them a built-in great general and Recruitment which tops off their HP if they get a kill). The fact that Restlessness keeps all the way through MechI is what makes them incredible, and really great for Quick games and the like where getting Range Logistic Gatling Guns is basically impossible. Indonesia is just generally fantastic at a whole bunch of things. Their UA is great and Candis are so good that i honest to god took Peace Gardens in a recent game.

Right now, I'm just loving stonewalling the Iroquois in their tracks just by placing a single Drill III Invulnerability longswordsman in a forest. I actually feel like Indonesia would be a lot stronger on longer game lengths just because you can pump out more Kris Swordsmen in general. I only got 5 for myself (and one was Evil Spirits), but I was probably foolish in my haste to research Steel. Despite that, I have a feeling my two invulnerability units and one restlessness guy will continue winning me wars throughout the whole game. Thing I like about the Invulnerability guys is that I feel much more liberated to take big risks with them. Yeah, I'll take out this annoying crossbow right next to the enemy city and be in the line of fire of like 5 things, because that guy will take it and laugh it off. I really can't wait until I get march on these guys, they will never have to rest again.

edit: And while we're talking about crazy units, XCOM Squad was an absurd addition in more ways than one. Games don't often reach that point, but if they ever do, whoever gets to Nanotechnology first will have a hell of a conquering spree. 40 range airlift is just silly. You can reach across the globe and pretty much just instantly travel to anywhere you have line of sight on. And you're 100 strength. My diplomacy game was going long yesterday so I had fun airdropping onto england from another continent entirely.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 21, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

thehumandignity posted:

If I ever do it, I blame years of Heroes of Might and Magic games.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
I just won with Babylon a Diplo Victory on the last viable turn before getting crushed by a combined Persian and German Army.
My CS Allies were dropping like flies, therefore I was loosing delegates left an right, I lost 2 of my 4 cities getting totally owned by the German military ÜberFORCE. :supaburn:

2 Turns before World Congress and World leader election I finished researching Globilization and having send all my spies as diplomats to the last 4 Civs that weren't in War with me before that, I got granted 4 more delegat votes, making it 33 delegates for 34 votes needed. :negative:

I scrambled my last 2 artillerys and my last Infantery and liberated a city of the Incas on the turn before the vote. Gladly they provided my with the last delegate needed for my diplomatic victory. :woop: Suck on that Germany! :woop:

One more turn and I would have lost 2 more CS Allies, destroying a second chance for WC election and I would have surely lost the game due to the massive invasion force.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

I'm pretty sure Antwerp got a better starting location than any civ in this game, and there are 22 of them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I decided to try a one city challenge and I figured it would be best to attempt a diplomatic victory. And things went pretty well for a while. I explored, developed, made friends, and the usual. I got into a hilarious war where the AI who hated me was on the far side of the map with four of my city state allies between me and them and since I was rushing up one side of the tech tree, I got submarines three turns into the war to attack their shiny new frigates with like something from Jules Verne. Apparently since I wouldn't take cities they weren't willing to offer me favorable peace terms so we just kept sinking every single unit they generated as soon as it left harbor for about 50 turns.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm getting the UN before time runs out. I've made every research agreement I can, I'm pulling in as much research from allied city states as possible, and I'm just not crossing the threshold. I think my mistake was taking Piety with the theory that I could use it to keep the city states from losing my religion. A lone city needs as many research boosts as possible or they will just come up short.

Oh well, now I know for next time.

Kanfy posted:

I'm pretty sure Antwerp got a better starting location than any civ in this game, and there are 22 of them.

Watch them get oil, aluminum, and uranium too.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 21, 2013

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Before I start up a new game, is there any essential mods for Brave New World? It'll be my first run through with the expansion, no idea if everything is fairly well balanced, or if there a mod out there that tweaks a few things to set things right?

Thanks in advance.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Well the new expansion just came out so I don't imagine there are any huge gameplay mods yet. It seems fine enough as is.

Also it looks like domination victory has changed slightly. You now have to have control of all original capitals including your own. It no longer counts if you're simply the last one with your original capital.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You guys have a civ hit list? Obviously Alexander must die every time, but I also find myself trying to kneecap Ramesses before the modern era. If I don't, he's invariably the runaway civ that challenges me to the end.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Well, Gandhi, your 43-size Delhi made a nice case for the incredibly marginalised free world but I couldn't wait another 23 geological turns to overcome your culture so you had to go. The people are the heroes, now. :ussr:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tindahbawx posted:

Before I start up a new game, is there any essential mods for Brave New World? It'll be my first run through with the expansion, no idea if everything is fairly well balanced, or if there a mod out there that tweaks a few things to set things right?

Thanks in advance.

Everything is decently balanced, the diplomatic/cultural victories might be a bit too easy if you're playing on lower difficulties but overall the expansion plays great. Most of the "essential" mods (like InfoAddict) don't seem to have been updated for Brave New World yet though, at least in the Steam Workshop.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Triskelli posted:

Everything is decently balanced, the diplomatic/cultural victories might be a bit too easy if you're playing on lower difficulties but overall the expansion plays great. Most of the "essential" mods (like InfoAddict) don't seem to have been updated for Brave New World yet though, at least in the Steam Workshop.

Although infoaddict hasn't been updated to cover the new features, it is still BNW compatible for its old diplomatic stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

After a bit of digging, I found a patched version of InfoAddict that retains all of the features here. Just extract this file to Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS

• Locked thread