Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Shogunate posted:

Just in regards to topic number seven and what the plan is for Triple H at Summerslam, honestly I think they're going to start on a Triple H / Ryback feud with Vickie wanting revenge.

Funnily enough I'd be down for that; I don't care enough about Ryback to worry about his momentum and it would actually move a storyline forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

jeffersonlives posted:

I think it's a guy watching the gambling lines and the leak is actually to the offshore bookmakers (who would not be taking bets on wrestling regularly if they didn't have greater knowledge than the public).
The lines on Sandow and Orton were well under even money at least a day before dolphin posted.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TenGoda question: what would be your dream WWE PPV schedule? This being the WWE year, it would start at Wrestlemania, but other than that, you have free reign.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Question for Ten Count
Where does TNA's horrendous scouting rank among their problems? WWE blew it on Austin Aries, but the list of guys TNA passed on is staggering.

Notable indie guys signed to TNA under the Hogan/Bischoff regime: Austin Aries, Joey Ryan, Zema Ion, Kenny King
WWE from the same period: Ambrose, Rollins, Cesaro, Ohno, Neville, Zayn, Callihan, del Sol

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's not all scouting, it's mostly a toxic reputation.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Notable indie guys signed to TNA under the Hogan/Bischoff regime: Austin Aries, Joey Ryan, Zema Ion, Kenny King

Those are just the guys they sent straight to the main roster. Their true developmental guys in OVW are all garbage and the only one I can think of that's done anything in the main roster is Jessie "Mr. Pectacular" Godderz

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Punch-Punch Punchcast: What current wrestler(s) do you think you'd mark out the most for if you were 10 years old (or however old you were when you got into wrestling)?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

For the record I'm not even quite sure what my avatar is supposed to be. I just like having a face looking in scorn next to my posts. One that happens to be in front of Megadeth's Peace Sells record.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
TNA also doesn't pay very well, and I think they preclude guys from taking a lot of indie dates. Most of those WWE guys you listed were really big indie guys and probably making good money doing it. I dont know if TNA would have given them better deals.

(TNA actually had Chris Hero in 2003-04.)

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

VogeGandire posted:

So his FRIEND is a truck monkey.
I REALLY want the leak to turn out to be Kevin Dunn acting pissy over the fact that his days are numbered. Just to see what Triple H intends to do with him afterwards...

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Perigryn posted:

I REALLY want the leak to turn out to be Kevin Dunn acting pissy over the fact that his days are numbered. Just to see what Triple H intends to do with him afterwards...

When the guy says it's his friend, he means "annoying acquaintances who I hope will leave me alone if I get him shitcanned."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I said don't be mean about my avatar :qq:

Podsport Punchcast: There's currently a heavy imbalance between faces and heels at the top of the card for WWE and no clear #1 heel. How would you redress this balance?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VogeGandire posted:

So his FRIEND is a truck monkey.

Considering the level of embittered writers in WWE, I'd wager his friend is on the creative team.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Meat Recital posted:

TNA also doesn't pay very well, and I think they preclude guys from taking a lot of indie dates. Most of those WWE guys you listed were really big indie guys and probably making good money doing it. I dont know if TNA would have given them better deals.

(TNA actually had Chris Hero in 2003-04.)

My understanding was that TNA guys could book indie dates but they can't be iPPVs or future DVD releases, and considering that's how a lot of indies try to make money, it effectively neuters the talent.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Rarity posted:

Podsport Punchcast: There's currently a heavy imbalance between faces and heels at the top of the card for WWE and no clear #1 heel. How would you redress this balance?

An answer to many WWE related questions, turn Randy Orton heel again.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 19, 2013

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

sportsgenius86 posted:

My understanding was that TNA guys could book indie dates but they can't be iPPVs or future DVD releases, and considering that's how a lot of indies try to make money, it effectively neuters the talent.
It's bad enough that they take a good chunk out of the wrestlers' outside booking paycecks but that didn't improve morale either. I just remembered this article from last year about it:

quote:

One independent promotion has noted that they stopped booking TNA talent over the course of the summer as they were informed they could no longer feature talents on iPPVs, DVDs or any other rebroadcasted material. So, it appears it went into effect over the course of the summer and is now being strictly enforced.

Chavo Guerrero posted the following on his twitter about cancelling an appearance for North Shore Pro Wrestling, a promotion based in Quebec due to the issues: "I will not be appearing @NSPW on Oct 6 due to them not honoring their contract. They decided last min that they wanted to tape & sell DVD's Of me & that was never discussed. That is of course illegal to film & distribute w/out permission. I'm sorry to ppl who have already paid But that is completely on @NSPW plz don't blame me. I'm still willing to hold up my end of the deal. Plz take your complaints to @NSPW"

NSPW responded on their twitter, writing, "Due to TNA deciding that their talent cant appear on indy feds' dvd, we hav no choice but to cancel Chavo Guerrero's appearance on Oct. 6th. Mr. Guerrero's claim that we decided last minute to tape and sell dvds is incorrect has we have done dvds of all of our shows. It is just not possible to cover the cost without dvds of the event. Never in the past has this been an issue with any guests. NSPW finds the situation and the decision made by TNA to prevent talent from appearing on dvds to be unfortunate. NSPW doesn't hold anything against Mr Guerrero and wishes him nothing but the best with TNA Wrestling. A suitable replacement for our Main Event will be announced tonight!"
Go to hell, Chavo...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

It's not all scouting, it's mostly a toxic reputation.

Yeah, and even from a pure financial perspective I doubt it would really be worth it for top indie guys like Steen who work a ton of different places to go to TNA now that they're very restrictive on outside bookings.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I personally find it hilarious that Chavo thinks he's so much of a draw that indie feds would only tape a show because he's on it. Dude's reaching Hogan levels of delusion now.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Did Alvarez bring back the After Dark shows yet?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Valeyard posted:

Did Alvarez bring back the After Dark shows yet?

Yeah he does them as mostly call-in shows for people to share stories.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

njsykora posted:

Yeah he does them as mostly call-in shows for people to share stories.

Last one I listened to was ages ago, with the British(?) dude who went on and on about... a museum with a map or something? I can barely remember, but I was amazed the whole time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Thanks for basically reanswering my question from weeks ago that I hosed up.

Oh and my avatar is actually the hero Diomedes who I actually like way more than Achilles, but I have used this name for so long and diomedesforever6 just isn't as catchy.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Last one I listened to was ages ago, with the British(?) dude who went on and on about... a museum with a map or something? I can barely remember, but I was amazed the whole time.

Jason from British Columbia rules. his stories are so out there but he's so good at telling them.

also do you think Bryan knows that Skype exists, because god that Bryan and Vinny was hard to listen to because of how bad Vinny sounded.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Most of the WO site feels like it's held together with scotch tape, it took until 2013 for them to let you search newsletters by year. It's probably a miracle most things get recorded at all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

Jason from British Columbia rules. his stories are so out there but he's so good at telling them.

also do you think Bryan knows that Skype exists, because god that Bryan and Vinny was hard to listen to because of how bad Vinny sounded.

Bryan is extremely stubborn. He knows skype exists, he's set up a specific line for international callers to call in with skype but he has his call in system that he spent a ton of time on so he's going to use it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

He has spent a lot of money on phone lines and hardware to record calls.

Complaining about the sound quality of vacation shows will get him to test new setups and make regular shows sound bad for a week. :argh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

He has spent a lot of money on phone lines and hardware to record calls.

Complaining about the sound quality of vacation shows will get him to test new setups and make regular shows sound bad for a week. :argh:

Given how goofy Bryan's voice sounds normally I could see him not wanting to hear how it would sound over skype. My voice sounds much dumber than it does in real life or on the phone (or so I'm told.)

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRafTer posted:

Given how goofy Bryan's voice sounds normally I could see him not wanting to hear how it would sound over skype. My voice sounds much dumber than it does in real life or on the phone (or so I'm told.)
Maybe he can get drunk and revert to that amazing 'british' accent he used on the christmas show a couple of years ago.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
"I would not ever listen to that again!" - "National Treasure" Karl Stern, on St. Anger.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"What was really great is when [the guy who killed Brody] threatened to kill someone."

"Yeah... well he was a good promo."

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
PSPCast: I know it's a way old show but I remember during the WWA Inception Review, MRT thought there was a match with the man dressed as a lady gimmick. On Synctube tonight we were watching the show and this copy has said match, even though the Wikipedia article doesn't even have it.

http://youtu.be/ZVcW2sm04nc?t=1h55m17s

Oddly, I didn't remember it being Ace Steel's old tag partner doing the act, I would've sworn it was Alan Funk.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Raeg posted:

PSPCast: I know it's a way old show but I remember during the WWA Inception Review, MRT thought there was a match with the man dressed as a lady gimmick. On Synctube tonight we were watching the show and this copy has said match, even though the Wikipedia article doesn't even have it.

http://youtu.be/ZVcW2sm04nc?t=1h55m17s

Oddly, I didn't remember it being Ace Steel's old tag partner doing the act, I would've sworn it was Alan Funk.

WWA was watched and no one alerted me? Jerks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Steve Austin just tweeted that he talked to Colt Cabana for the first time. He's going to have Colt on an episode of the Steve Austin Show soon, and Colt will return the favor by having Austin as a guest on Art Of Wrestling in a few weeks. :getin:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This week's SNCJ

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Sweeney Tom posted:

Steve Austin just tweeted that he talked to Colt Cabana for the first time. He's going to have Colt on an episode of the Steve Austin Show soon, and Colt will return the favor by having Austin as a guest on Art Of Wrestling in a few weeks. :getin:

Show is going to be the normal AoW intro, followed by every Steve Austin read advertisement, and then the outro!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
You know, Punk shows up AOW from time to time when he feels like it. Austin's week would be a good time, if even to just do something silly like telling Austin to "Have a Stunning day, Steven." like he did on twitter.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
215 minute Dave and Mike show. Excellent.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

215 minute Dave and Mike show. Excellent.

Usually skip the Dave and Mike shows due to their length, but I'm listening to the first segment now for the NJPW review.

I love hearing Dave rave about Suzuki, since the guy might be my favorite wrestler in the world right now even thoughI'm usually more of a flippy junior match kind of guy.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Goddamn, that was a good show but it's the third time I've sent the same question and not had it answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Arbite posted:

Goddamn, that was a good show but it's the third time I've sent the same question and not had it answered.

Send it to the National Treasure instead.

Edit: As I posted this I got to the end of Sin Limite (and Mike's pronunciation at the start makes me think Dave came up with the name which is just DARLING) and they started bashing Bryan for not watching the NJPW shows. Classic.

• Locked thread