Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Onean posted:

The only things I can think of is the unique passive effect and the amount of time and resources spent on upgrading the basic frame. Although, I'm not sure about the inter-usability of parts. I know, for example, that the Recluse and Dragonfly can use Biotech parts while the Biotech cannot use theirs, but can the Recluse use Dragonfly parts? Like I mentioned I've only been playing for a little over a week, so it's fairly likely I'm missing something.

No, the "tier 2" frames can only use their components and then the base components. So you could use a recluse/dragonfly that is all the function of a biotech. The only thing is upgrades/experience. I'm not sure what was meant by "keep" though, since you can't really get rid of it. We don't know what the plans are to expand frames to "tier 3" either aside from possible names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there any point in keeping a basic frame once you can access the specialized ones? I keep getting variations of "they let you get tokens :downs:" from people without anything more specific than that.

Not really. You can strip the basic frame and use whatever skills etc. on the more advanced frame. The only issue is the advanced aka T2 frames are specialized somewhat, and the two t2 frames' skills are not interchangeable with each other. I do not think it should be conceptualized as an upgrade so much as having more options available to you. So if you were running a t4 accord I don't think you would be put to shame sitting next to a t4 t2 frame, if that makes sense.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Accord frames and parts are considered "Generic" or "Standard Issue". The Astrek and Omnidyne frames that people mistakenly call T2 (they used to be, but aren't anymore) are more specialized versions.

Examples:
Accord Assault - It does great by itself. The optional 2 Accord craftable skills allow you to personalize it a bit to suit your play style.
Firecat - It does less damage per hit but focuses more on AOE damage.
Tigerclaw - Primary fire is incredibly powerful but splash damage is minimal.

Accord Dreadnought - Again, pretty damned good by itself. Especially with Absorption Bomb and/or Turret Mode.
Mammoth - Huge gently caress-off armor plate and equipment that specializes in face hugging. In close range, it's unmatched.
Rhino - It's the inverse of the Rhino. All the survivability of the Accord, but the gear that allows it to do very well at range and stay there.

Bios follow a similar pattern. Recluse is damage, Dragonfly is more healerish.

Recons are a little harder to classify. I've only gotten all the greens on the three classes but agree that Raptors are more valuable in groups and Nighthawks are very good at making pubbies call it a Nightwing.

Bastions are obvious. Electrons are love or hate. Accord Engineers really are obsolete.

You can use Accord skills on the Astrek and Omni frames, but not the other way around. I hear people say the Accord frames suck because you can just use the same equipment and skills on the other classes, but why bother playing a non Accord frame if all you're going to do is play it like an Accord?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

glug posted:

They're all different? You might like to play a higher level dreadnaught and not particularly like either of it's variants or something?

Bio seemed cool, dragonfly seems weird. But I haven't given it time yet. I dunno.

They aren't. You can be a Dreadnought variant that plays entirely like the Accord Dreadnought, but there is no point in doing so, as you might as well just play an Accord Dreadnought.

This is not the case for PvP, however. In PvP you're locked to your battleframe's specific skills, so each one plays differently and there's no overlap.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
That part is a bit of a shame, I love my Tigerclaw but I prefer throwing Afterburner on a skill slot for a lot of extra mobility, or swapping out the secondary weapon with something else. I wish they'd allow some wiggle room in PVP classes.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Can alliancebot be set up with something that lets us whisper him or something and he will spam in chat who is online?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

xxEightxx posted:

Can alliancebot be set up with something that lets us whisper him or something and he will spam in chat who is online?
That was what I was going to be working on next. McGowan had started something like that, but I don't think he ever pushed his code for it. I'll try to get it done either tonight or tomorrow night.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You know I'm pretty sure the crafting system has a gently caress ton of separate crafting components just to say it has a gently caress ton of separate crafting components.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

poptart_fairy posted:

You know I'm pretty sure the crafting system has a gently caress ton of separate crafting components just to say it has a gently caress ton of separate crafting components.

It's really deep and complex though. You can get .01% better dps if you use quality 890 Tungsten over quality 880 Tungsten! :v:

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
Yeah guys lets make it so you jut have to mash a button and standard equipment pops out!

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

permanoob posted:

Yeah guys lets make it so you jut have to mash a button and standard equipment pops out!

As opposed to mashing twelve buttons and always picking the top resource in each list because gently caress their arcane resource stats!

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

DangerDan posted:

As opposed to mashing twelve buttons and always picking the top resource in each list because gently caress their arcane resource stats!

I used the lowest resource for the air sprint category of the jumpjets I just made and my air sprint speed went from 146 to 125. I just hope I can survive with an 125 airsprint. :ohdear:

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
Wow, Mammoth is pretty underwhelming. Kinda wish I spent my tokens on a Biotech or Recon frame now. The Plasma MG looked neat, but the bullets drop over time so it can get kinda tricky to hit things. Occasionally this can be really nice, but most of the time it's just a pain. It's supposed to also do splash damage, but I haven't seen any really. Imminent Threat sounds great on paper, but in practice not so much. All of the MGs shred anything closeup quite easily so the extra 10% really isn't noticeable.

Ability-wise the only one worthwhile is Shield Wall (which is awesome). Thunderdome is useless, would be much better if it worked like Chosen or Engineer Shields. As is is, you might be able to cut off a few enemies with it. But the range and duration are so low that it doesn't really work out well. I haven't tried Teleport Shot, but it doesn't sound too useful. The HKM (Tremors) is fun, but Mortar is even more fun. Given a choice, I'd go with Mortar any day.

So what you end up with is the Accord passive, Accord HKM, and two out of three Accord abilities. Sure, you have a chunk of extra HP (which goes even better with the Accord passive) and a neat shield, but you end up with a generally weaker weapon to make up for it.

Anyone have any experience with the Mammoth? Does it get better later, or stay sorta mediocre?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Alkanos posted:

Wow, Mammoth is pretty underwhelming. Kinda wish I spent my tokens on a Biotech or Recon frame now.

What.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

I'm nearly all T4 gear mammoth and have a grand ol' time. Shield Wall, Thunderdome (I need to swap that out), Heavy Armor, and the Arcfold Mortar. Targeting is a touch more difficult but I have a good ol' time. I started with Rhino but moved to Mammoth when the Laser MG wasn't working as well as it should have and it was too late to turn back to the Rhino when they fixed it, so I can't really say. Inimicul could tell different I think. Pretty sure he has a Rhino boner.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Mammoth is awesome and the majority of goons that play the game are in love with it in various ways. Thunderdome is mainly a defensive skill. It is great for reviving players and creating impenetrable barriers (good for keeping mobs off thumpers). Many people replace it with Heavy Armor, Turret Mode, or, a goon favorite, Absorption Bomb.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
Maybe I just have to give it a bit more time. I only unlocked it yesterday so I guess it just takes a bit of getting used to.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Alkanos posted:

Maybe I just have to give it a bit more time. I only unlocked it yesterday so I guess it just takes a bit of getting used to.

The gun is a little wonky to aim, it has bullet drop and a slow projectile speed. it helps to think of it more as a huge gently caress off murder hose than a gun.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The reason you aren't liking it as much is that you're not used to playing to its strengths. Most classes like to be played at range, but not the Mammoth. Play the Mammoth like you're constantly trying to face gently caress things and you'll see it shine. Bullet drop doesn't matter when they're <5m screaming for help. Walk up to mob, aim at head (very easy when you're right up on them), proceed to murder them en masse. Mortar is nice and all but Tremors allows you to walk into a room and within 5 seconds, you're the only one still standing. Be the ultimate hero in a bomb mission. Combined with Heavy Armor, it feels like cheating. Stock Thunderdome doesn't seem to last as long as it used to but it is still a life saver when you need to go rez your ally or grab the objective and jet while blitzing missions and such.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, the forum community goes nuts about player trading topics. Even staff members wander in with hilariously defensive :smug: do you see any gold sellers in our game :smug: comments.

edit; apparently the guy making these comments, Grumms?, is the CEO. Ahahahahaha.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 22, 2013

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Any tips on Melding thumping? I usually go there for specific resources but I have to hop between Copa, Thump Dump, and Sunken Harbor if I want to find anything good.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Raneman posted:

Any tips on Melding thumping? I usually go there for specific resources but I have to hop between Copa, Thump Dump, and Sunken Harbor if I want to find anything good.
Sure. Don't bother hopping between them. When you get rid of a resource, a new one will spawn within minutes.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Nalin posted:

Sure. Don't bother hopping between them. When you get rid of a resource, a new one will spawn within minutes.

This. I thumped out blue silicate last night and it was back the next thump.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Are there any add-ons people recommend?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I hate this game why can't I stop playing it oh god.

My biggest issue at the moment is how rigid a lot of the mechanics feel when it comes to the different frames. Maybe spending all that time in Dark Souls has made my expectations a little too high, but being stuck with a very specific primary weapon is annoying. :saddowns:

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

poptart_fairy posted:

My biggest issue at the moment is how rigid a lot of the mechanics feel when it comes to the different frames. Maybe spending all that time in Dark Souls has made my expectations a little too high, but being stuck with a very specific primary weapon is annoying. :saddowns:

You can swap out the Advanced Frame Weapon for one that the Archtype (Accord) has, same with Abilities and printed Accord Abilities.

ErrantSystems
Jul 5, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Holy poo poo, the forum community goes nuts about player trading topics. Even staff members wander in with hilariously defensive :smug: do you see any gold sellers in our game :smug: comments.

edit; apparently the guy making these comments, Grumms?, is the CEO. Ahahahahaha.

I used to subscribe to this line of reasoning but then I realized that gold sellers could just do what people already do to 'pay' each other cy for things. That is, just list a single resource for some absurd but very specific price and have the other person buy it in exchange for whatever. I don't really see the no p2p trading thing being anything but an annoyance to regular players.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

ErrantSystems posted:

I used to subscribe to this line of reasoning but then I realized that gold sellers could just do what people already do to 'pay' each other cy for things. That is, just list a single resource for some absurd but very specific price and have the other person buy it in exchange for whatever. I don't really see the no p2p trading thing being anything but an annoyance to regular players.

It's not economical without a straight trade option. Also, the dev post where he went on to a gold farming site and asked to buy some cy was hilarious. That is dev proof that the gold farmers are just chomping at the bit to start selling in firefall. In related news the same site sells Influence for city of heroes, an mmo that was shut down nearly a year ago.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Is focusing on your secondary weapon, as opposed to the primary weapon a thing that's actually viable? Like, can I focus on an assault rifle over a plasma rifle viable if I don't like plasma rifles, or can I pick for example, an SMG over an LMG for the Dreadnaught because I like the faster reload? Or are secondaries universally worse than primaries?

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Is focusing on your secondary weapon, as opposed to the primary weapon a thing that's actually viable? Like, can I focus on an assault rifle over a plasma rifle viable if I don't like plasma rifles, or can I pick for example, an SMG over an LMG for the Dreadnaught because I like the faster reload? Or are secondaries universally worse than primaries?

Don't. I finally unequipped my grenade launcher. It just isn't worth the reload/equip time. especially if you are running a dread, the spinup time of your gun is so long (anywhere from .5 to a full second) that you cannot afford to stop shooting. So having a secondary isn't worth it. Big loving gun shooting all the time.

Someone called the mammoth a murder hose. Thats exactly what it is.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
Don't know if you guys have seen this

quote:

We have big plans for endgame and squad content. Baneclaw and our first story-based episode, Blackwater Anomaly, were just the beginning. Players can look forward to Army progression and missions, new squad-based instances, and events, and of course, we've yet to reveal any of our Titans (think of Baneclaw as a miniboss).

:allears:

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

precedence posted:

Don't know if you guys have seen this

:allears:

Technically we have "seen" a Titan, just not been able to play with a working one.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

The dude in the Twitch video. "I hope this Blackwater Anomaly is something more than just shooting things." The whole loving game is shooting things smart guy.

edit: He's also lovely at video games
edit2: "I'd like to see some trickier foes in this game."

permanoob fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 22, 2013

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

permanoob posted:

edit2: "I'd like to see some trickier foes in this game."

Clearly he has not encountered the bullshit hacks that the ai are using. Mobility is no longer a viable defensive strategy.

imatree
Nov 18, 2005
ok...

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of a decent waypoint where I can thump and get some threshers spawning? Need their DNA to craft myself some servos.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Cerrado Plains would work

robocopforever
Jun 25, 2008

xxEightxx posted:

Clearly he has not encountered the bullshit hacks that the ai are using. Mobility is no longer a viable defensive strategy.

I think I saw a Reddit post started by Grummz a month or so ago saying that the AI hasn't been totally rolled out yet (SHOCKER!!) In the future they are looking at more tactical AI and less zerg. Add that to the huge pile of hopeful changes I guess.

On another note, where the Goons at? The mumble channel seems abandoned 90% of the time. Are people just taking a break or is there a cool kids club I am unaware of?

Alkanos posted:

I haven't tried Teleport Shot, but it doesn't sound too useful.

I love this ability. This is how you get in close with enemies that are at long range. It does do a pretty good chunk of damage to anyone caught in the way, but primarily I use it to stay mobile and get to places the heavy battleframe has difficulty getting to. Thumper recoveries become a breeze with this ability. Just pick up a part, and teleport right to the thumper. It's long cooldown and sometimes wonky range (it takes a bit to really find the max range)are really my only gripes about it.
Other uses for Thunderdome:
1) Throw it up just before an armored cocoon or other explody objective blows up (I dunno if this works for the oft screwed up chosen bombs) and minimize collateral damage.
2) It gives you a great head start on reviving people, or giving someone time to bug out
3) If timed right they can give a thumper squad a few extra seconds to take out bugs that are about to get all up in your thumper.
4) Use it to set up choke points or give your engineers an extra few seconds to deploy some tech (I've used it for emergency call downs as well.)

robocopforever fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 23, 2013

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

robocopforever posted:

The mumble channel seems abandoned 90% of the time.

Haunted. Definitely. Definitely haunted.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do enemy groups have any tactics beyond "instantly alert every ally in 600 yards, converge on single player"?

e; ugh, on second thoughts I just uninstalled the drat thing. Spent two hours loving around trying to get to ARES missions and the like to have them finish before I got there due to terrain design, or just be another clusterfuck of circle strafing mobs. Really wasn't having fun.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Is the game not launching for anyone else? for me it starts firefall.exe but the game itself doesn't seem to start. :ohdear:

EDIT: Also, I really wish you guys would use mumble more. Most of the time I'm alone in there.

Raneman fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 23, 2013

• Locked thread