Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
An 11-year old Yemeni girl has fled from her family and threatened to kill herself rather than go through with an arranged marriage.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nada-al-ahdal-arranged-marriage-rather-kill-myself-2013-7

quote:

A video posted to LiveLeak today features a profound monologue by an 11 year-old Yemeni girl whose family attempted to force her into an arranged marriage.

Nada Al-Ahdal says she fled to her uncle's house, and that people close to her have threatened to kill her if she does not get married. Arranged marriages at a young age are common in that region.

A common response, says Ahdal, is for those kids to commit suicide.

"It's not [the kids'] fault. I'm not the only one. It can happen to any child."

"Some children decided to throw themselves into the sea, they're dead now. They have killed our dreams, they have killed everything inside us. There's nothing left. There is no upbringing. This is criminal, this is simply criminal."

There's a 2 minute speech she gives on video at the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

Regardless of how much oil is actually there, Australia needs to build up the infrastructure and industry to start tapping it and most importantly to export it, before it will really affect the global oil market and have real consequences for middle east petrostates.

Knowing nothing about it, I'm curious — would their proximity to southeast asia make them more attractive even if they lack the infrastructure now?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Namarrgon posted:

Exactly this. Australia has ridiculous amounts of natural resources in general. It lacks the population, infrastructure and apparently the will to exploit it all to the maximum of its ability. If Australia had 150 million inhabitants the world power balance could look a whole lot different.

e. I don't want to appear as an Australia fanboy so the grim reality is that it has none of those things and it will never be a world power, regardless of how much oil they find there.
Australia does have a great resource base, but it's lacking one very basic, very important thing - fresh water. Beyond drinking water and crops, a lot of industry relies on water for their processes. It makes Australia's goodies much harder to exploit.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->

Namarrgon posted:

Exactly this. Australia has ridiculous amounts of natural resources in general. It lacks the population, infrastructure and apparently the will to exploit it all to the maximum of its ability. If Australia had 150 million inhabitants the world power balance could look a whole lot different.

e. I don't want to appear as an Australia fanboy so the grim reality is that it has none of those things and it will never be a world power, regardless of how much oil they find there.

A state doesn't necessarily need a population of 150 million inhabitants to become a great power. Spain and England dominated world politics for a long time with just a small population. Even the 17th century Dutch Republic with a population of just 1,5 million was, for several decades, the richest and most powerful state in the world. What a state needs to become a great power is a shitload of money, military superiority (historically a powerful navy, nowadays a major air force and intelligence network) and a shitload of contracts with other states.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Pieter posted:

A state doesn't necessarily need a population of 150 million inhabitants to become a great power. Spain and England dominated world politics for a long time with just a small population. Even the 17th century Dutch Republic with a population of just 1,5 million was, for several decades, the richest and most powerful state in the world. What a state needs to become a great power is a shitload of money, military superiority (historically a powerful navy, nowadays a major air force and intelligence network) and a shitload of contracts with other states.

The 17th century was dominated by France and Spain, the Dutch Republic was never the most powerful state in the world.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Lord Tywin posted:

The 17th century was dominated by France and Spain, the Dutch Republic was never the most powerful state in the world.

The Netherlands, with its financial power, the original transnational corporation (VOC), shipbuilding industries, exclusive access to Japanese markets, etc is widely considered to have formed the core of the global economy during this period by historians and world-systems theorists. To say that the Dutch Republic was preeminent over any other contemporary power might be arguable but it's hardly controversial.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paper Mac posted:

The Netherlands, with its financial power, the original transnational corporation (VOC), shipbuilding industries, exclusive access to Japanese markets, etc is widely considered to have formed the core of the global economy during this period by historians and world-systems theorists. To say that the Dutch Republic was preeminent over any other contemporary power might be arguable but it's hardly controversial.

There's also the Portuguese and earlier Italian city states cases. And the massive populations in Spain and France didn't help them overcome the British and Dutch in the seas, even if they could march all over Europe. You certainly need a good population number to create an empire with strong population reserves for colonies, armies, navies, bureaucracy and so on but multiple nations have become quite powerful without them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's still a silly point to make, because Europe was largely interconnected as far as infrastructure, and Spain, France, England, and Portugal made up a sizable population relative to the time period. In the modern age, sure, Australia doesn't really need a shitload of people. They can, and do, import labor, and technological advances supersede population. It's pretty easy to conclude that Australia is already a global superpower anyways. Certainly economically.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/22/us-usa-syria-arms-idUSBRE96L0W520130722

quote:

Supporters of the rebels hope the deliveries of U.S.-provided arms will start in August.

They hope for "a large number of small weapons" such as rifles and basic anti-tank weapons, said Louay Sakka, a co-founder of the Syrian Support Group, which backs the Free Syrian Army fighting Assad.

This may address chronic shortages of ammunition for rebel ground forces and provide a better counter to tank assaults. No anti air craft weaponry, but perhaps Washington is relying on Qatar and Saudi armaments to cover that aspect. I can't find any articles, but I think at least Qatar has taken the fall of Qusayr and the subsequent announcement of support from Washington as cover to start providing anti aircraft weaponry to rebels.

Hezbollah's intervention and the string of recent victories for Assad may have only served to trigger a serious arming of rebel forces. Considering the Iranian intervention I wonder if this will do anything except freeze the front lines in place. In an ideal world this will bolster the standing of moderate forces and help the rebellion purge itself of those dickhead jihadists by showing Western support is a real and serious thing but I suppose the past two years have shown us that reality will take a different and more horrifying approach. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there four major factions now at play in Syria? The regime, the FSA, the jihadists and the Kurds all seem to be sparring off with each other with increasing intensity and all of them want their own state.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brother Friendship posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/22/us-usa-syria-arms-idUSBRE96L0W520130722

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there four major factions now at play in Syria? The regime, the FSA, the jihadists and the Kurds all seem to be sparring off with each other with increasing intensity and all of them want their own state.

Iran is also indirectly fighting in the conflict due to the Hezbollah's intervention on Assad's side.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Iran is also indirectly fighting in the conflict due to the Hezbollah's intervention on Assad's side.

They'd fall under "the regime" in this simplified outlook. It doesn't take into account the internal debates within each faction, and the unique relationships between groups within factions with groups within other factions, but it's fairly accurate. "All of them want their own state" is a bit dishonest though. It's substantially more complicated than that.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 23, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

@HafsaHalawa
Pro-Morsi supporters marching to Cairo Airport through Al Galaa Square. Police & army erected barriers at the beginning of the Airport road.

quote:

@cliffcheney
Giza Zoo blanketed with black smoke from burning vehicles.

@cliffcheney
More shooting. Not as fast. Singles and semi-auto.

@cliffcheney
I am nearing Cairo Univ. hearing constant machine gun fire.

quote:

@nsabry
@cliffcheney is the army there? Can see the cloud of smoke and can hear the gunfire but cant see #cairouni. #egypt

@nsabry
Loud prayers and screaming on speakers now in #giza and then crazy gun fire! #egypt

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, that sounds about right in consideration of recent history.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

*Sigh* well guess Egypt gets another round of Hosni Mubarak. In other news, the Intelligence Committees relented on Syria, for whatever reason. If the United States is so fixated on arming the "good" rebels, why not try to draw the Kurds into greater agreement with the FSA? Problems with Turkey? Or does everybody hate the Kurds more than Al-Qaeda?

Relevant to my latter question:

http://rudaw.net/english/interview/22072013?lw

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 23, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ahram and Jadaliyya are reporting that 71% of Egyptians are unsympathetic to Pro-Morsi protestors. They claim a 3% margin of error.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/77085/Egypt/Politics-/-of-Egyptians-unsympathetic-with-proMorsi-protests.aspx

http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/13128/seventy-one-percent-of-egyptians-unsympathetic-wit

quote:

Egyptians are by and large unsympathetic to protests calling for the reinstatement of Egypt’s toppled Islamist president Mohamed Morsi.

71 percent of Egyptians voiced their disapproval of the Brotherhood-led protests which have been taking place for three weeks, according to a poll conducted by the Egyptian Centre for Public Opinion Research (Baseera).

Baseera's July opinion poll found that 20 percent of those polled were in support of the pro-Morsi demonstrations, while 9 percent remained uncertain about how to view the matter.

The report stated that residents of urban governorates seem less sympathetic to the pro-Morsi protests than those of rural areas. Urban residents polled at 17 percent approval, 77 percent disapproval, whereas the numbers were 21 and 67 percent, respectively, for rural residents.

Morsi's Islamist backers have maintained a sit-in in north Cairo since 28 June. They have been staging protests in Cairo and other provincial towns demanding his reinstatement ever since Morsi’s 3 July ouster by the army amid mass anti-Brotherhood demonstrations.

The independent Cairo-based organisation polled 2,214 adults from across Egypt's 27 governorates via telephone on 20 and 21 July. The poll’s margin of error is less than 3 percent.

Based on the report's findings, male respondents are more disapproving of the protests (78 percent) than female ones (65 percent).

15 percent of women remained uncertain, versus 3 percent of men.

The report revealed that age and education levels affect reactions to the pro-Morsi protests. According to the poll, sympathy declines with age, recording at 24 percent sympathetic amongst those aged 18-19 compared to 14 percent amongst those 50 and up.

Sympathy for pro-Morsi protests was higher among university graduates (26 percent) than those with a mid-level education (18 percent).

Not sure how reliable that poll is, but it's from a credible source.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

That seems right to me.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I guess we shall see if that polling turns out to be true, granted it is probably also unclear how many support the current regime.

It is very possible there are fair amount of people who are claiming a "pox on both."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Although,

quote:

The independent Cairo-based organisation polled 2,214 adults from across Egypt's 27 governorates via telephone on 20 and 21 July. The poll’s margin of error is less than 3 percent.

That is an absurdly fast turn-around time. Weekend poll and then published mid-Monday.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Volkerball posted:

An 11-year old Yemeni girl has fled from her family and threatened to kill herself rather than go through with an arranged marriage.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nada-al-ahdal-arranged-marriage-rather-kill-myself-2013-7

There's a 2 minute speech she gives on video at the link.

This is sadly quite common in rural parts of Yemen.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Ardennes posted:

I guess we shall see if that polling turns out to be true, granted it is probably also unclear how many support the current regime.

It is very possible there are fair amount of people who are claiming a "pox on both."

Or potentially sympathetic parties who are within hearing-range of army automatic weapons. It's probably a good tactical decision to claim no sympathy with the people the army is clashing with.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

That's a really powerful image.

illrepute posted:

Or potentially sympathetic parties who are within hearing-range of army automatic weapons. It's probably a good tactical decision to claim no sympathy with the people the army is clashing with.

The total deaths from the protests that started almost a month ago is less than 100, mostly in hotspots of violent protests near military bases. I wouldn't exactly say the walls have ears just yet.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Volkerball posted:

The total deaths from the protests that started almost a month ago is less than 100, mostly in hotspots of violent protests near military bases. I wouldn't exactly say the walls have ears just yet.

Well that doesn't include deaths happening in real time, and I don't know less than 100 is really such a small number. I don't think people are being polled at gunpoint but it isn't real clear civil society is really functioning like it did which makes polling a lot more difficult. I would see plenty of Morsi supporters hanging up if someone calls them up to ask them their opinions. Also you need a reliable telephone to be polled, which in parts of rural Egypt isn't necessarily a given.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Mobile penetration in Egypt has surpassed 100%, which doesn't mean everyone has a phone, but it's a very high percentage.

edit: But yeah, people being afraid to give their opinions is a real concern

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

Well that doesn't include deaths happening in real time, and I don't know less than 100 is really such a small number. I don't think people are being polled at gunpoint but it isn't real clear civil society is really functioning like it did which makes polling a lot more difficult. I would see plenty of Morsi supporters hanging up if someone calls them up to ask them their opinions. Also you need a reliable telephone to be polled, which in parts of rural Egypt isn't necessarily a given.

That was all I was trying to make clear. 100 is a pretty small number in context with similar events throughout the region, but there have also been a lot of wounded and arrests alongside it. I agree with you that the poll could be subjective given the difficulties that would arise in trying to do it, but it's something.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Xandu posted:

Mobile penetration in Egypt has surpassed 100%, which doesn't mean everyone has a phone, but it's a very high percentage.

Even with high mobile penetration, it is very possible there are still considerable class/regional differences on responses. Even if you technically have a phone, you may not have enough credit or be willing to spend incoming credit on call (if that charge exists). Not to mention an interview takes time. I think it a fair thing to considered, considering how extreme some of the poverty is in Egypt.

Also, to be frank, if I was a Morsi supporter, I don't know how candid I would be on the phone at this point even there wasn't a direct threat to myself.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Even with high mobile penetration, it is very possible there are still considerable class/regional differences on responses. Even if you technically have a phone, you may not have enough credit or be willing to spend incoming credit on call (if that charge exists). Not to mention an interview takes time. I think it a fair thing to considered, considering how extreme some of the poverty is in Egypt.

Yeah, they're using telephone interviewing cause it's way cheaper/faster, but the standard for the region (outside the Gulf) is still face to face because of issues you're mentioning. I would be curious what they think of the coup/anti-Morsi protesters, and I"m surprised that wasn't asked.

One thing to keep in mind though is telephone can be a lot more anonymous, and people might feel more comfortable admitting this stuff over the phone than when someone comes to their house and asks the same question. You can make the argument either way.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Xandu posted:

Yeah, they're using telephone interviewing cause it's way cheaper/faster, but the standard for the region (outside the Gulf) is still face to face because of issues you're mentioning. I would be curious what they think of the coup/anti-Morsi protesters, and I"m surprised that wasn't asked.

One thing to keep in mind though is telephone can be a lot more anonymous, and people might feel more comfortable admitting this stuff over the phone than when someone comes to their house and asks the same question. You can make the argument either way.

Granted, I think the split between telephone/in person polling might be when there is an issue that causes tension within the family ie a wife doesn't want to say something in ear shot of her husband. In this case, it might just be more generalized paranoia where there might be considerable distrust that "anonymity" is that real.

Anyway, lets say even if the clear majority oppose the current protesters, there is easily enough of a real split in Egyptian society to be very problematic. I guess the current game plan is to live on aid from the Saudis/UAE but at best that seems a very short term solution.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Granted, I think the split between telephone/in person polling might be when there is an issue that causes tension within the family ie a wife doesn't want to say something in ear shot of her husband. In this case, it might just be more generalized paranoia where there might be considerable distrust that "anonymity" is that real.

Yep, and when possible you try to train interviewers to isolate the subject from family members, but that doesn't always happen. Or you'll go to a house and maybe the man will be like "oh no, don't interview her, she doesn't know anything, interview me" and interviewers don't always do things randomly. It's hard to get good data. Sorry for sperging out, used to work in the field (though not in Egypt), and there's definitely a lot of issues that make polling in this region complicated.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Xandu posted:

Yep, and when possible you try to train interviewers to isolate the subject from family members, but that doesn't always happen. Or you'll go to a house and maybe the man will be like "oh no, don't interview her, she doesn't know anything, interview me" and interviewers don't always do things randomly. It's hard to get good data. Sorry for sperging out, used to work in the field (though not in Egypt), and there's definitely a lot of issues that make polling in this region complicated.

Yeah, which is general why polling in developing countries, especially with rising social turmoil, have more erratic polling even if there isn't necessarily purposeful bias.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how wide these protests and how long they go on, although even then there is a statistic war over how big the protests actually are.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't the Alex Jones crowd throw around a poll that 'proves' most Syrians support Assad? How one could do accurate polling during a civil war doesn't occur to them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
^^^^Egypt is one thing when it comes to the accuracy of polls, but Syria is a whole different animal.

Oh man. I'm not one to make light of Syria, but if the one time a libertarian manages to entangle himself into something that actually affects public policy, he starts a full-on proxy war, I will die laughing.

quote:

President Obama’s scheduled trip to Moscow to meet with Russian President Vladi­mir Putin in September is in limbo because of uncertainty surrounding National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden, who fled to Russia and is seeking asylum there.

In addition to the Snowden case, relations between the United States and Russia have become strained in recent weeks over the ongoing conflict in Syria, disputes over nuclear weapons and concerns about the Putin government’s treatment of dissidents.

The White House announced in June that Obama would meet with Putin in Moscow around the time of the annual Group of 20 nations summit, which Russia is hosting Sept. 5-6 in St. Petersburg.

White House press secretary Jay Carney declined repeatedly this week to say whether Obama still plans to visit Moscow.

“The president intends to travel to Russia for the G-20 summit,” Carney told reporters on Wednesday. “And I have no further announcements to make beyond what we’ve said in the past about the president’s travel to Russia in the fall.”

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-07-18/politics/40653161_1_edward-snowden-president-obama-obama-putin

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I guess it is tangentially related but Obama's nominee for UN envoy called Russia, Cuba, Venezuela and Iran "repressive countries" in which civil rights crackdowns need to be contested. It is a bit ridiculous considering the US' record at the moment. Putin's Russia is pretty repressive but so is China.

Not to mention Iran just elected a more moderate president, and Venezuela has internationally approved elections. I guess Cuba is just evil because they're commies without not enough sweatshops to care about.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Been waiting on this one. VICE sent a reporter to Cairo as soon as they found out about the military's ultimatum. He bounces between pro and anti Morsi protests prior to the statement, and afterwards. They've been hyping this one up for a while. VICE is always open for interpretation, because their niche seems to be going into crazy poo poo that no one else wants to film in, but they usually present some compelling things. This one is pretty damning so far. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2yaNhK4PCE

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I guess it is tangentially related but Obama's nominee for UN envoy called Russia, Cuba, Venezuela and Iran "repressive countries" in which civil rights crackdowns need to be contested. It is a bit ridiculous considering the US' record at the moment. Putin's Russia is pretty repressive but so is China.

Not to mention Iran just elected a more moderate president, and Venezuela has internationally approved elections. I guess Cuba is just evil because they're commies without not enough sweatshops to care about.

Uh, Cuba is quite repressive.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea he called objectively repressive countries repressive, I don't get how the US not being perfect makes that wrong.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea he called objectively repressive countries repressive, I don't get how the US not being perfect makes that wrong.

I think he means less the US not being perfect, and more the US being totally fine with repression in China, and not calling them out at the same time.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gozinbulx posted:

Uh, Cuba is quite repressive.

I think it is quite overstated, it is a one party state but I don't see it being more repressive than China or Vietnam, probably less so in fact.

quote:

The US is very far from "perfect" at this point, and you could easily argue our electoral process is more biased than Venezuela. If you are going to "contest" repression then it might make sense you start at home first rather than picking random countries you don't like and paint them with a broad brush. I still don't see the reasoning for Venezuela.

Of course you could also argue that the US didn't see to have that much trouble with Putin's repression for years, and that Cuba's relatively repression was directly caused by the actions of the United States.

quote:

I think he means less the US not being perfect, and more the US being totally fine with repression in China, and not calling them out at the same time.

It is more just the US being hypocritical to the extreme and is completely untrustworthy, why should we trust the US at all to challenge "repression"? Especially in a country like Venezuela with free elections? Also to bring it around, Egypt's new government has been pretty repressive on its own, I guess it didn't make the list.

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.
So this happened..

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/22/us-iraq-violence-idUSBRE96L0RM20130722

quote:

(Reuters) - Hundreds of convicts, including senior members of al Qaeda, broke out of Iraq's Abu Ghraib jail as comrades launched a military-style assault to free them, authorities said on Monday.

The deadly raid on the high-security jail happened as Sunni Muslim militants are gaining momentum in their insurgency against the Shi'ite-led government that came to power after the U.S. invasion to oust Saddam Hussein.

Suicide bombers drove cars packed with explosives to the gates of the prison on the outskirts of Baghdad on Sunday night and blasted their way into the compound, while gunmen attacked guards with mortars and rocket-propelled grenades.

Other militants took up positions near the main road, fighting off security reinforcements sent from Baghdad as several militants wearing suicide vests entered the prison on foot to help free the inmates.

Ten policemen and four militants were killed in the ensuing clashes, which continued until Monday morning, when military helicopters arrived, helping to regain control.

By that time, hundreds of inmates had succeeded in fleeing Abu Ghraib, the prison made notorious a decade ago by photographs showing abuse of prisoners by U.S. soldiers.

"The number of escaped inmates has reached 500, most of them were convicted senior members of al Qaeda and had received death sentences," Hakim Al-Zamili, a senior member of the security and defense committee in parliament, told Reuters.

"The security forces arrested some of them, but the rest are still free."

One security official told Reuters on condition of anonymity: "It's obviously a terrorist attack carried out by al Qaeda to free convicted terrorists with al Qaeda."

A simultaneous attack on another prison, in Taji, around 20 km (12 miles) north of Baghdad, followed a similar pattern, but guards managed to prevent any inmates escaping. Sixteen soldiers and six militants were killed.

CONVOY ATTACK

Sunni insurgents, including the al Qaeda-affiliated Islamic State of Iraq, have been regaining strength in recent months and striking on an almost daily basis against Shi'ite Muslims and security forces amongst other targets.

The violence has raised fears of a return to full-blown conflict in a country where Kurds, Shi'ite and Sunni Muslims have yet to find a stable way of sharing power.

Recent attacks have targeted mosques, amateur football matches, shopping areas and cafes where people gather to socialize after breaking their daily fast for the holy Muslim month of Ramadan.

Relations between Islam's two main denominations have been put under further strain from the civil war in Syria, which has drawn in Shi'ite and Sunni fighters from Iraq and beyond to fight against each other.

In the city of Mosul, 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad, a suicide bomber detonated a vehicle packed with explosives behind a military convoy in the eastern Kokchali district, killing at least 22 soldiers and three passers-by, police said.

Following the attack, leaflets were found near mosques in Mosul signed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, which was formed earlier this year through a merger between Syrian and Iraqi affiliates of al Qaeda.

"After receiving information from our precious nation's sons about the arrival of a convoy of the Safavid Raafidi Army... the lions of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have confronted them," read the leaflets, using derogatory terms to refer to Shi'ites.

Four other policemen, were killed in a separate attack in western Mosul, Iraq's third-largest city and capital of the Sunni-dominated Nineveh province.

Nearly 600 people have been killed in militant attacks across Iraq so far this month, according to violence monitoring group Iraq Body Count.

That is still well below the height of bloodletting in 2006-07, when the monthly death toll sometimes exceeded 3,000.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->
According to Human Rights Watch violent Attacks on Egyptian Copts have been on the rise, and security forces have done little to protect them:

http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/07/23/egypt-sectarian-attacks-amid-political-crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Xandu posted:

My thought process went along the lines of:-

I don't get it, it's just a couple of guys out with their daughters...
Oh...
Oh :(

• Locked thread