Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Regarding trade:

If you're sending a trade route somewhere else, the formula gives you gold at 1/20 of your city's GPT plus 1/20 of the destination city's GPT plus extra gold from caravansary/harbor, then it gives you .5 GPT for each resource in the city's radius. If it's a sea route, multiply that number by 2. That's your GPT from the route.

If you're receiving a trade route, you don't get resource diversity bonuses. I'm not sure if banks and markets and whatnot increase the gold you receive.

So basically this means that all things being equal, sea trade routes are at least twice as good as land routes (probably more since their range is way better and they can be intercontinental). Resource diversity doesn't mean nearly as much as city GPT in your city and the destination city, unless you're Portugal (who gets 1 gold per resource rather than .5) or it's really early-game.

e: I distinctly remember hearing about bonuses to trade routes by being on a river and also something about how the distance of a trade route increases the GPT, but that was a long time ago and I can't find any recent info on it. Not sure if that plays any role.

Ainsley McTree posted:

How SAP are we talking here exactly? Like, "beeline writing from the start and drop what you're doing to build a library as soon as it's available" ASAP, or should you focus on other, more basic things first? I tried beelining once but looked at all those unimproved luxuries around my capital and my total lack of archers to defend myself with and got uncomfortable. I usually don't build the library right away, but maybe I only get away with it because I play on Prince.

I get my library tech before any luxury tech but I usually build the library itself after my first worker. Unless you're on a low-production start you can usually start the library right away. You could easily fit an archer in if you think barbarians are going to hound you more than your warrior can handle, and if you're surrounded by wheat and deer you might even granary first. My basic philosophy is that science snowballs very quickly and that the sooner you get a library up, the less technological bottleneck you're going to hit later. I'm definitely most comfortable getting a library before anything else, though.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Varjon posted:

I'm fairly certain you may still get warmonger penalties with other civs, but you will get a diplomatic boost with the civ who asked you to go to war. 'Fought against a common enemy' or something like that, so it's important to weigh that in the diplomatic decision. The warmonger thing is ridiculosuly easy to get, but how the other civs feel about you and the civ you're at war with does play into whether you get it to some degree. No one complained in my last game when I sneak attacked Alexander because literally everyone hated him.

Yeah--if I can help it, I usually hold off until I get multiple civs asking me if I want to beat up on another civ. Obviously this works best against someone like Genghis or Alexander who makes enemies easily.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nuking in general gets people super mad at you. If the world is best buds with the guy, that will just compound the issue. If the civ is about to win the game, then you don't have much choice than to make the entire world your enemy. Get more nukes. :black101:

I love how as soon as I made my first nuke practically every AI poo poo itself and turned to afraid because they already considered me a warmonger.

Oh well, at least uranium is a replenishable resource, plenty of nukes to go around!

I have decided to say gently caress it, if I am going to nuke Morocco I may as well nuke all his allies at the same time, currently managed to get about 20 sources of Uranium!

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
A while back someone posted a set of config stuff that most people recommended as far as like.. Temperature, Rainfall, etc.. What's the best setting for like a standard game?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seemenaked posted:

Yeah what is up with the denunciations? My play style is non-aggressive, I do my thing over here I let everyone else do there thing over there and as long as no one tries to cross any lines we all tend to get along fine. What annoys me though is randomly around the start of the mid game someone will denounce me out of the blue and then it's usually echoed by 2-3 other races for no drat reason. Unless I am playing like a warmonger I don't see how I could possibly be stepping on anyone's toes.

Sometimes all you have to do is settle near an AI and they will denounce. The AI can get really uppity. Sometimes they're just assholes. Most of them are pretty sensible but Genghis will denounce at the drop of a hat, for example.

Bro Enlai posted:

Yeah--if I can help it, I usually hold off until I get multiple civs asking me if I want to beat up on another civ. Obviously this works best against someone like Genghis or Alexander who makes enemies easily.

This is important. You don't even have to wait, you start asking around and you may get some takers. The point being, they can't be mad at you if they're in on it too. If you just declare war on someone without going in with anyone then there may be trouble. But if you get at least one other person to go in with you, that's one more potential friend in the future making people more reluctant to be totally hostile towards you and someone to maybe have your back if poo poo hits the fan. (or maybe just stab you in the back later, depending on who it is(gently caress austria))

Ideologies also tend to make people really forgiving of their ideological partners. The diplomatic modifiers ideology give are maybe too strong. Hiawatha seems to want to always be a bro no matter what, but most other AIs will never sign a DoF with a civ of another ideology, and you very often see wars break out between the different ideological factions with many of the civs from both sides taking part. I guess that's cool, but it tends to override all other diplomacy.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 23, 2013

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Ideologies also tend to make people really forgiving of their ideological partners. The diplomatic modifiers ideology give are maybe too strong. Hiawatha seems to want to always be a bro no matter what, but most other AIs will never sign a DoF with a civ of another ideology, and you very often see wars break out between the different ideological factions with many of the civs from both sides taking part. I guess that's cool, but it tends to override all other diplomacy.

I would like the ideological blocs better if your relationship with a civ had some bearing on what ideology they choose to take. As it is, it's kind of a crapshoot whether my game-long bro is going to follow my ideological choice or not.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Hi guys quick question. I've played most of the old Civ games but never tried this one after it got such bad press early on. A group of gaming friends gifted me a free copy on Steam. They've all got the Gods and Kings expansion which apparently fixes stuff and so I'm considering joining them next time they set up a game. My question is, I was planning on buying the upgrade to Gold Edition for 20 bucks and that way I'd have Gods and Kings and all the other extra DLC. Can I use that DLC when I play with them or do they have to own it as well? For example; say I want to play Korea or the Vikings, will it work?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

lilspooky posted:

Hi guys quick question. I've played most of the old Civ games but never tried this one after it got such bad press early on. A group of gaming friends gifted me a free copy on Steam. They've all got the Gods and Kings expansion which apparently fixes stuff and so I'm considering joining them next time they set up a game. My question is, I was planning on buying the upgrade to Gold Edition for 20 bucks and that way I'd have Gods and Kings and all the other extra DLC. Can I use that DLC when I play with them or do they have to own it as well? Example, say I want to play Korea or the Vikings, will it work?

All players within a multiplayer match must have the same DLC. That said, you can turn individual DLC on and off from the DLC option in the main menu, and that will make it so things work.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Sorry, so to clarify. If all they have is G&K and I have the Gold Edition stuff I won't be able to use any of the extra DLC....AND I'll have to make sure to disable it to play with them?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

lilspooky posted:

Sorry, so to clarify. If all they have is G&K and I have the Gold Edition stuff I won't be able to use any of the extra DLC....AND I'll have to make sure to disable it to play with them?

When they host the game and you join your game will automatically disable the DLC you can't use.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Got it. Thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bro Enlai posted:

I would like the ideological blocs better if your relationship with a civ had some bearing on what ideology they choose to take. As it is, it's kind of a crapshoot whether my game-long bro is going to follow my ideological choice or not.

Yeah, that's really my biggest qualm about it. The AIs are smart enough to realize that they shouldn't switch to a different ideology than someone who has a lot of influence with them, though, so you can sometimes manipulate them in that way. But very often other civs you've been bros with from start to finish with non-stop declarations of friendships, trade routes, co-op warmongering, and so on will just decide that they'll go order when you go freedom or something else like that. And then the entire past is wiped away and they may not immediately hate your guts but they probably will eventually.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bro Enlai posted:

Yea I had Russia as my super friend all the way until it was ideology time, then they chose freedom and I chose order, and then my spy pops up and says Russia is planning a sneak attack on me and theres a ton of troops moving to the border so I sent my bombers in to clean poo poo up, but Russia is the only civ that has kept up with me in terms of military and research so its going to be a looooong hard fight.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I dunno, I kind of like the whole ideology thing. It seems kind of intuitive in that nations with profoundly different ideologies usually don't get along all that well, even if it doesn't necessarily come to all-out war. I also like that a civ is willing to risk diplomatic tension with you if their circumstances demand it. If I'm the clear tech leader and I have a sprawling powerhouse civilization with Order, I don't expect my tiny neighbor who's way behind in science to follow my lead, that's just burying them further. They have to take Autocracy for the double spy rate because it's one of the only catch-up mechanics lategame. So you have this narrative of two civilizations growing apart due to jealousy, mistrust and different methods of trying to win. Of course that can break old alliances.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheGame posted:

I dunno, I kind of like the whole ideology thing. It seems kind of intuitive in that nations with profoundly different ideologies usually don't get along all that well, even if it doesn't necessarily come to all-out war. I also like that a civ is willing to risk diplomatic tension with you if their circumstances demand it. If I'm the clear tech leader and I have a sprawling powerhouse civilization with Order, I don't expect my tiny neighbor who's way behind in science to follow my lead, that's just burying them further. They have to take Autocracy for the double spy rate because it's one of the only catch-up mechanics lategame. So you have this narrative of two civilizations growing apart due to jealousy, mistrust and different methods of trying to win. Of course that can break old alliances.

Ideological blocs are fine, but I don't like how it completely overwrites all previous diplomacy, and how the AI doesn't take into account their current friends/enemies when choosing. Once Ideologies come along, almost nothing else matters at all.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Honestly, I wish that civs were more jealous, and that there were warmonger-esque evil thoughts for the other victory types. Something like: "They resent your cultural influence on their people," "They envy and distrust your advanced technology," and a major buff to "You are competing for the same city-states." That way, you don't have allies blindly backing you while you assemble World Congress delegates/blast off/brainwash their children. The World Congress approaches that a bit, but doesn't make those victories difficult in the same way that stealing multiple capitals make victory difficult.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Glorious Polish workers end World War Eleven against the Fascist Moroccan hordes using the might of superior Soviet Technology.

Praise Dear Leader Casimir! :ussr: :poland:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Yeah, I think that the ideologies have a bit too much sway. In most games I struggle throughout the game to get DoFs so I can do research agreements, until finally the ideologies pop up and suddenly the other civs are knocking my door down about it. By that point, it really doesn't have much impact beyond keeping them quiet and happy while I win.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I guess my major game was unusual because ideologies felt like they were only marginal diplomatic factors, with people from other ideologies still wanting to be friends with me. And people with the same ideology still went to war with each other. (Yeah, yeah, I know... Sino/Soviet split IRL) I thought changing ideologies should have done more to reset most diplomatic relations.

It's actually good to know ideologies are more divisive in most people's games.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Ideology was very, very divisive in my last game. Mostly because the three largest civs each went different ideologies within about 5 turns of each other, which made their respective religious allies join them.

It was a very interesting cold, then hot war(s).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Ideology was very, very divisive in my last game. Mostly because the three largest civs each went different ideologies within about 5 turns of each other, which made their respective religious allies join them.

In all of my games civs just pick one entirely at random and then everyone hates everybody and no blocs exist. I wish you could sway the AI.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Hah, just won that game after World War Eleven by sniping one more city state from Morocco before peacing out. :toot:

My first legit Emperor win.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Pretty much. Unless you are Korea, then you may want to use the improvements longer since they get an additional +2. For engineers, I normally always use the tile improvements unless I need a wonder RIGHT NOW. Science is as you said, tile improvements early and burn for tech later. I don't think I have ever placed a tile improvement from great merchants or prophets though. And not really a tile improvement, but I always burn great writers for more culture right away. Gotta get all those policies.

Holy sites are actually pretty loving good if you go down the piety tree. Last game I won as Siam I had like 3 or 4 of those in my capital and each one was producing 10 faith, 3 gold, and like 14 culture or something ridiculous like that. If you dont care much about spreading your religion (and I dont see how you would since the AI will outspam you easily) its a great use for a Great Prophet.

Kalsco posted:

Additionally, directly east of some cows in the middle are the ruins of 2 cities.

:ironicat:

e: Assyria has ceased to exist 3 turns later.

Poland is quickly making it into my shitlist because that rear end in a top hat will happily gobble anyone in his path but still has the gall to "hate warmongers". Plus if must be easy for the AI to play or something because Poland always seems to do well in my games.

Something I really like about Civ V is the variety in AI playstyles and personalities, makes every game very different and fun with the huge number of civs in the game at this point. It's very funny to me that just seeing Alexander's smug grin is enough to piss me off.

babypolis fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 23, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

babypolis posted:

Holy sites are actually pretty loving good if you go down the piety tree. Last game I won as Siam I had like 3 or 4 of those in my capital and each one was producing 10 faith, 3 gold, and like 14 culture or something ridiculous like that. If you dont care much about spreading your religion (and I dont see how you would since the AI will outspam you easily) its a great use for a Great Prophet.

Any game where I can get religious texts is 200+ gold by the end of the game from tithe. It's all about spreading it with the right amount of overlap.

I wish the faith/culture founder beliefs were that good :sigh:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Verviticus posted:

Any game where I can get religious texts is 200+ gold by the end of the game from tithe. It's all about spreading it with the right amount of overlap.

I wish the faith/culture founder beliefs were that good :sigh:

Last game I went with both of the food ones (Feed the World and Swords to Plowshares) and they seemed pretty good, but its hard to say how effective they really were considering all the food bonuses I was piling up . Isn't tithe only +1 gold for every 4 followers? 800 followers sounds impossible to me.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

babypolis posted:

Last game I went with both of the food ones (Feed the World and Swords to Plowshares) and they seemed pretty good, but its hard to say how effective they really were considering all the food bonuses I was piling up . Isn't tithe only +1 gold for every 4 followers? 800 followers sounds impossible to me.

Huge map, 12 civs. I think 60 cities? had my religion. I'll look in a bit.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kalsco posted:

Additionally, directly east of some cows in the middle are the ruins of 2 cities.

:ironicat:

e: Assyria has ceased to exist 3 turns later.

No surprise here. This is truth in video games, diplomats are the biggest hypocrites on the planet. Worse than politicians.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

If you disable diplomatic victory, is the world congress/UN also disabled or just the world leader vote?

Snow Job posted:

Why the hell do Truffles add only gold to a tile once a camp is up? They are pigs. They are meals on hooves. This early game is hosed because I spent landgrab money to improve a pig tile ASAP and the city still won't grow.

I believe there is a mod out there that changes truffles to bacon.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

If you disable diplomatic victory, is the world congress/UN also disabled or just the world leader vote?

Just the leader vote. You can still embargo and do stuff like International Games.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Current Leader Shitlist for BNW:

1. Suleiman

He's only been in one game but in that one game he backstabbed me not once, but TWICE. Both times I had a DoF with him he declared war on me. Needless to say that wasn't a very fun game for anyone involved, for me or him.

2. Genghis

He shits cities everywhere and now he actually seems to conquer City States like he's supposed to. Every game he's been in with me he's had at least two CS conquered by the time I find/get around to killing him.

3. Alexander

Because Goddamnit every time I want to diplo win he's in my game.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Regarding the Zulu Ikanda promotion upgrades, do they disappear from the unit after gunpowder is researched?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I actually voted for Alex to be the world congress host in my current game. Best decision of my life, that guy really loving loves me right now. He's backing me on everything I do. He's cool with any warmongering I do and follows up any denunciation in kind which usually spurs a couple other civs to follow suit. He's basically letting me get away with conquering my entire continent completely free of repercussion. Also proof that you can get away with a lot of warmongering if you just do it carefully.

I am worried because he just went Order while I'm Autocracy (again, the AI doesn't care about its existing friendships at all, and Order is terrible for diplo victories which he's clearly going for, so... yeah), but we just re-upped our friendship a turn prior and he seems to have my back on stuff for as long as that's going on.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 23, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I actually voted for Alex to be the world congress host in my current game. Best decision of my life, that guy really loving loves me right now. He's backing me on everything I do.

I always do this, pick the friendliest guy and make sure he wins (if I won't). You won't get favourable proposals but that person is Your Pal For Life

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there anything that influences or indicates which ideology an AI might pick?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Snow Job posted:

Why the hell do Truffles add only gold to a tile once a camp is up? They are pigs. They are meals on hooves. This early game is hosed because I spent landgrab money to improve a pig tile ASAP and the city still won't grow.

Er, because the truffles themselves are worth much more than the meat on the truffle hogs. If you harvested truffles for a living you probably would send off any hogs that for some reason wouldn't hunt to be slaughtered for meat, simply because they otherwise would be a waste of resources, but a truffle camp is just that, not an intensive production bacon ranch.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

KingKapalone posted:

A few misc. questions:

- What's best practice for plopping starter settler? Move him around some or plop right where he starts?
- Is there a go to starting build order?
- Why can I not buy some hexes around my borders? I have one city where I can only expand into the useless water tiles.
- The purple outlined hexes showing next border growth are random? There might be three but only one is picked, but is there a way to change it? Does my city AI know what to do?
- Do you guys pick a victory plan before playing and pick a suitable civ?

Another thing is that I don't understand how you play this multiplayer.

Generally, settling in place is good, unless if there's a much better spot within one or two moves. (IE, sometimes you'll spawn on flatland/nonriver right beside hills/river, or one hex away from the coast, which is generally when I'd consider moving.)

There isn't really a one-size-fits-all opening. Generally speaking, if I get to three functional cities (that is, not 1 pop basketcases) by turn 75 and I'm well on my way toward getting philosophy/building the NC, I think I'm doing okay. Oftentimes something like scout -> start worker -> switch to shrine at pottery -> finish worker -> settler -> archer -> settler -> caravan -> caravan accomplishes this for me, with policies taken in the Tradition tree and trying to scrounge together 340 gold to buy a granary.

You should be able to buy hexes out to three rings around a city. You have to buy hexes that connect to other already owned hexes. If both of those are true and you still can't, I don't know what the issue is?

The purple hex isn't random, there's a logic to it, but it isn't always what you want. There's no way to change it - if you want to prioritize certain tiles, you gotta spend gold.

I used to pick a plan before I started playing, but that's because before Brave New World, if you wanted to do Culture or Science at high difficulties, you had to plan for it from the start and mold your whole gameplan around it. In BNW that's less the case.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Basically border growth is determined based on the environment, and not based on tile usefulness. When you see multiple purple highlighted hexes, it means any one of them have an equal chance of being randomly selected, because they all are the least "difficult" tiles to expand to according to the game's scoring. This is determined by a lot of factors, from distance from the city to whether it's rough terrain, or across a river, etc. This can be frustrating because many cities will require you to spend gold early on in order to make useful because the natural border growth will select "easy" tiles that are worthless, like tundra or non-resource coastal tiles over forests or hills. Sometimes you can guide early expansion by chopping down forests in neighboring tiles. It also gets you some extra production, too.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Can Korea sell their library and then rebuild it to get the tech boost?

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

So I'm playing at king level and I'm finding the AI military a bit weak - they seem to fritter units away on pointless assaults on high defense cities etc, it succeeds at massing the force needed to take a city but more often then not fails in the execution of the attack not bombarding with artillery en-mass and suiciding non-arty units on the city assault.

Does the Military AI get better with higher difficulties or does the AI just get greater and greater bonuses to production/happiness/gold etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Military AI stays the same throughout most difficulties. AI civs are more passive on a strategic level on lower difficulties (they may not try to assault your cities much) and field smaller armies, but the actual tactical AI is the same. It's unfortunately very lacking. The AI is terrible at warfare and can only sometimes succeed by sheer numbers.

• Locked thread