Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creatine
Jan 27, 2012

im really mad i cant find this article

searching goog for "homeopathic doctor kills child with h2o2" just gives me bullshit homeopathic sites on how to "cleanse my body of cancer with only hydrogen peroxide"

this isnt the exact one but same outcome

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500164_162-666489.html

quote:

Last March, Shortt gave Katherine Bibeau an infusion of hydrogen peroxide. According to his own records, she complained of "nausea," "leg pain," and later "bruises" with no clear cause.

"She went Tuesday, she went Thursday. And by 11 o'clock on Sunday, she died," says Bibeau. He says Shortt never told him or his wife about any serious risks. "Even if it wasn't effective, it should not have been harmful."

creatine fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

homeopathy is covered by the uk's nhs because one of the guys who's in charge of that stuff is a homeopath

whenever i hear stuff like that i wonder how hard it is to break into the magic water biz

also prince charles

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

whenever i hear stuff like that i wonder how hard it is to break into the magic water biz

nothing except your own ethics

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Cream_Filling posted:

i don't think it will ever happen because why not just buy a cheap mini-desktop and wireless sync your files

because all of the desktop manufacturers are going to crater terribly

michael dell knows that dell is long-term hosed right now and he's going to have to totally redesign the company from the ground up around the new market requirements, which is why he's trying to take the company private. he knows that stockholders never, ever want to have a quarter than was less profitable than the last one, even if it's because they're retooling everything to make sure the company is still around in five years

naturally those same stockholders are fighting him every step of the way, and if they win they win, dell will be dead within the decade as they desperately flail around for short-term profitability

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

creatine posted:

i was trying to find the article about that homeopathic 'doctor' who killed a small child because he injected H2O2 into him and 'didnt know it would be harmful'

jesus christ

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Today, hydrogen peroxide is manufactured almost exclusively by the Riedl-Pfleiderer or anthraquinone process which was formalized in 1936 and patented in 1939, and involves the autoxidation of a 2-alkyl anthrahydroquinone (or 2-alkyl-9,10-dihydroxyanthracene) to the corresponding 2-alkyl anthraquinone. Major producers commonly use either the 2-ethyl or the 2-amyl derivative. The cyclic reaction depicted below shows the 2-ethyl derivative, where 2-ethyl-9,10-dihydroxyanthracene (C16H12(OH)2) is oxidized to the corresponding 2-ethylanthraquinone (C16H12O2) and hydrogen peroxide. Most commercial processes achieve this by bubbling compressed air through a solution of the derivatized anthracene, whereby the oxygen present in the air reacts with the labile hydrogen atoms (of the hydroxy group), giving hydrogen peroxide and regenerating the anthraquinone. Hydrogen peroxide is then extracted and the anthraquinone derivative is reduced back to the dihydroxy (anthracene) compound using hydrogen gas in the presence of a metal catalyst. The cycle then repeats itself.[13][14]

sounds natural to me

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

nothing except your own ethics

and a marketing budget so that people will believe that your magic water is more effective than the other guy's magic water

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Al! posted:

jesus christ

loving finally found it

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/naturopath-sentenced-for-injecting-teen-with-hydrogen-peroxide

quote:

The so-called holistic doctor who pleaded guilty in the death of a patient was sentenced Monday to 13 years in prison after a judge told him he had shown no remorse over the death of a 19-year-old cancer victim he was treating. Brian O'Connell admitted last month to criminally negligent homicide for injecting 19-year-old Sean Flanagan with hydrogen peroxide. Flanagan suffered from Ewing's Sarcoma, a form of cancer, and had tried chemotherapy and radiation treatment to no avail.

quote:

In court on Monday, O'Connell asked Jefferson County District Judge Margie Enquist for leniency, saying he didn't know what he was doing was wrong. He said he had changed and regretted Flanagan's death.

you cant just admit you killed this kid then go "cmon judge im changed and i didnt know it was wrong"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

creatine posted:

loving finally found it

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/naturopath-sentenced-for-injecting-teen-with-hydrogen-peroxide

you cant just admit you killed this kid then go "cmon judge im changed and i didnt know it was wrong"

13 years for murder? sounds like he's doing pretty well

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Heresiarch posted:

because all of the desktop manufacturers are going to crater terribly

michael dell knows that dell is long-term hosed right now and he's going to have to totally redesign the company from the ground up around the new market requirements, which is why he's trying to take the company private. he knows that stockholders never, ever want to have a quarter than was less profitable than the last one, even if it's because they're retooling everything to make sure the company is still around in five years

naturally those same stockholders are fighting him every step of the way, and if they win they win, dell will be dead within the decade as they desperately flail around for short-term profitability

but who cares who makes it? it's always going to be cheaper to put the same basic hardware in a bigger box with no batteries instead of cramming ram and ssds into a tiny battery-powered box that also has to be durable and portable. unless people take the retarded giant phone thing to the next level and start tolerating poo poo on phones like fans and getting too hot to hold.

if people actually wanted a crippled tiny computer you could pump that poo poo out for next to nothing right now. build them right into every monitor.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 23, 2013

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

meanwhile that other guy had his license revoked and was convicted of conspiracy to distribute steroids

no mention in the orders of the h202 case

ftge

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i got to laugh at a friend's husband the other day who busted that one out on me

once we were done laughing right into his face he got explained to that vaccines and 1st line antibiotics are both things the government forces pharma corps to produce in minimum quantities because they wouldn't otherwise due to no profitability

he was so mad and just doubled down and ruined the rest of dinner

the gov't is behind vaccines you say? nice job you basically just convinced him that david dees was right

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Amazing how the establishment and drug companies have us tied down! Many doctors who chose to volunteer their time in places like Africa, where common drugs are hard to get and expensive, will tell you that hydrogen peroxide is one of the few things available that really make a difference against the disease and sickness they are struggling to contain. Search Mercola.com for hydrogen peroxide and read why it is absolutely impossible for it to have been instrumental in the Bibeau death.

Witch hunts are common when they threaten "conventional medicine" and the drug companies

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

graph posted:

im the white people

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

but who cares who makes it? it's always going to be cheaper to put the same basic hardware in a bigger box with no batteries instead of cramming ram and ssds into a tiny battery-powered box that also has to be durable and portable. unless people take the retarded giant phone thing to the next level and start tolerating poo poo on phones like fans and getting too hot to hold.

if people actually wanted a crippled tiny computer you could pump that poo poo out for next to nothing right now. build them right into every monitor.

cell phones are getting more powerful and we're going to get to a point soon where you can either run something like desktop-level photoshop on your phone, or use your phone as a thin client for something like nvidia's grid thing which is running photoshop or solidworks or whatever

the idea isn't to have some cheap poo poo, it's to use your already very loving expensive pocket computer as a sometimes desktop too. this isn't going to happen soon but eventually people are just going to start saying "why am i wasting space with this desktop computer", "why am i maintaining these two different systems", etc, probably within the next ten years or so but maybe longer. we're already seeing people using only phones/tablets and no desktop systems in their daily lives, it's just going to take that long for the existing desktop market to finally crumble

it's also going to sort of connect to the new "bring your own hardware" trend that companies are doing, but with phones and tablets instead of laptops

this is all speculation of course but i think the trend is pretty clear

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Werthog 95 posted:

Amazing how the establishment and drug companies have us tied down! Many doctors who chose to volunteer their time in places like Africa, where common drugs are hard to get and expensive, will tell you that hydrogen peroxide is one of the few things available that really make a difference against the disease and sickness they are struggling to contain. Search Mercola.com for hydrogen peroxide and read why it is absolutely impossible for it to have been instrumental in the Bibeau death.

Witch hunts are common when they threaten "conventional medicine" and the drug companies

hydrogen peroxide isn't even effective as an antibiotic

it's basically only good as a chemical for wound debridement aka destroying dead skin around a cut without using scissors

doesn't do poo poo about bacteria

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

im sure IT will be happy to join j. random fuckwad's utnudu phone to the domain. it will be easy asshit and storing confidential data on the same device as hundreds of pirated android apps will present no risk whatsoever

thats why the phone will run android btw. piracy

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

maniacdevnull posted:

kickstarter makes sense for unknown person with a crazy dream but it's a loving scam and a half for anyone who could get the attention of actual vcs, see also: star citizen

thats not a scam it just makes sense. you get a bunch of dinguses to pre-pay you the same $50 you'd have charged them to buy the game when it comes out and they don't get equity in the project so you don't need to worry about handing out 1/64000 of the profits to them or w/e. presumably they're also all the people who'd have bought in the first place had you gotten outside funding and then put it out for sale when it's done.

Migishu posted:

You know what other phone did the computer docking thing? You know what other phone failed?

That's right, the motorola atrix

I can't wait for this concept to fail spectacularly so cheap poo poo gets put onto the market quick for modding projects

the motorola atrix series has sold a good dozen million or so which is typical for a phone model. also the docks all got bought up by weirdos who wanted a portable hdmi-capable monitor thing for their ~maker projects~

creatine posted:

how the gently caress does the ubuntu phone plan to operate when i cant even get ubuntu to use wifi correctly in tyool 2013

this will be the first phone that cant receive/send calls/texts/data

they're just going to use the android flavor of the linux kernel for that + the proprietary radio and radio interface library of whoever they get to manufacture the device. remember that mark shuttleford doesn't really care about things being all ~free as in freedom~ so it wouldn't come with buggy but ~free~ wireless driver poo poo.

it'll probably be the only part of the phone that reliably works.

Heresiarch posted:

cell phones are getting more powerful and we're going to get to a point soon where you can either run something like desktop-level photoshop on your phone, or use your phone as a thin client for something like nvidia's grid thing which is running photoshop or solidworks or whatever

the idea isn't to have some cheap poo poo, it's to use your already very loving expensive pocket computer as a sometimes desktop too. this isn't going to happen soon but eventually people are just going to start saying "why am i wasting space with this desktop computer", "why am i maintaining these two different systems", etc, probably within the next ten years or so but maybe longer. we're already seeing people using only phones/tablets and no desktop systems in their daily lives, it's just going to take that long for the existing desktop market to finally crumble

it's also going to sort of connect to the new "bring your own hardware" trend that companies are doing, but with phones and tablets instead of laptops

this is all speculation of course but i think the trend is pretty clear

the thing you're forgetting is that desktops have already heavily declined, most people use laptops, or if they're fancy they have a laptop and a monitor + m/k they plug in. at this current time desktops fill the roles of "i need something as cheap as possible" because a rather basic desktop + monitor will still run better for $300 total then a $300 laptop + the one weird higher niche of "people who actually need a lot of power/want to play a lot of games" for higher prices.

iirc laptops passed desktops for market share in 2006 and at this point laptops constitute like 85% to 90% of computers sold last year

you've missed the trends m8.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
taking motherfucking bets right now that two months into the ububtudu phone release we see one with wireshark installed for like twice the asking price. it will have "pwn" or some permutation of the term in its name

hahaha just kidding, it will never be released

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i miss my desktop

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Nomnom Cookie posted:

im sure IT will be happy to join j. random fuckwad's utnudu phone to the domain

centrify directcontrol has a free version and it's ok. if your domain is hueg you need to limit the scope it scrapes else its adclient gets fucky

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
that ubuntu phone thing is supposed to ship in 10 months and the most precise specs on cpu they can provide is "fastest multi-core cpu"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

that ubuntu phone thing is supposed to ship in 10 months and the most precise specs on cpu they can provide is "fastest multi-core cpu"

they'll be buying an existing run of phone chipsets from some east asian manufacturer and having them install the ubunu stuff side-by-side with android and put it in the new generic case

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

thanks for posting, your presence reminded me that i was having a stupid useless argument about cell phones

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yo is there an indiegogo tracker like kicktraq

pretty sure they were at a million this time yesterday, 3 million last night

and now 3.5 million. lol

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey look, an Occulus Rift ripoff that uses images of a guy wearing an Occulus Rift to promote their knockoff that won't be anywhere near as loving good.

Or it's suppose to be some mount for an iPhone to the OR or something who loving knows the guy doesn't describe it properly.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Migishu posted:

Oh hey look, an Occulus Rift ripoff that uses images of a guy wearing an Occulus Rift to promote their knockoff that won't be anywhere near as loving good.

Or it's suppose to be some mount for an iPhone to the OR or something who loving knows the guy doesn't describe it properly.

you strap the iphone to your chest and it uses the gyroscopes & accelerometers & camera to track your position

it's still dumb as hell obviously

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
why the christ do you morons keep spelling it with two cs, where do you even get the idea to do that

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 23, 2013

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

homeopathy is covered by the uk's nhs because one of the guys who's in charge of that stuff is a homeopath

the 'alternative medicine' business is worth billions and billions of dollars because they can peddle twigs and leaves with minimal oversight or regulation and no need to actually do any research. companies who sell this poo poo present themselves as natural alternatives to Big Scary Pharma but they're massive international corporations making money hand over fist.

tl;dr find out how then do it immediately

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if ur selling herbal poo poo its 100% legal to label it as containing valerian root or w/e and then fill the capsules with grass clippings

put that in ur pipe and smoke it (no dont its actually dried poison ivy)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Heresiarch posted:

thanks for posting, your presence reminded me that i was having a stupid useless argument about cell phones

:tipshat:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
seriously people just a reminder: the "ubuntu phone" will have android installed as the primary os, and even in the ubuntu mode will still be using the android linux kernel at the base, and the cell radio/wireless stuff in general will be handled by android libraries.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

creatine posted:

i was trying to find the article about that homeopathic 'doctor' who killed a small child because he injected H2O2 into him and 'didnt know it would be harmful'

i'm like 99% sure that even regular homeopathy doesn't involve injecting people with powerful oxidizing agents. homeopathy is all about diluting stuff until it doesn't exist but tricking the water into thinking it's still there

Install Gentoo posted:

seriously people just a reminder: the "ubuntu phone" will have android installed as the primary os, and even in the ubuntu mode will still be using the android linux kernel at the base, and the cell radio/wireless stuff in general will be handled by android libraries.

what does it do then?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

what does it do then?

it's a new ui and api, basically

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

what does it do then?

provides some dumb gnome based interface and i guess portions of the current ubuntu repositories will be recompiled for ARM so they can run on the phone. ubuntu mode will apparently be incapable of running android apps too.

also it will provide a desktop-ish interface when the phone is plugged into a monitor or something. which doesn't sound like its going to be very useful at all.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the ubumbpoo phone will be a raspberry pi with an old nokia 3310 screen taped to it

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Install Gentoo posted:

oh, well, what a relief

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the gov't is behind vaccines you say? nice job you basically just convinced him that david dees was right

that actually looks pretty fun, i want to go

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
guys ubuntu already has a dab in making great hardware

look at system76!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Who will help this poor struggling artist?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spikelee/the-newest-hottest-spike-lee-joint

• Locked thread