Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

evilmiera posted:

What units are going to be on offer, besides the ones seen there? As in, what factions have been announced?

Depends on a couple of factors, such as which Armageddon war the game covers, or whether or not the Armageddon bit is just a sub-title. If it's the 2nd or 3rd Armageddon war then we can probably expect to see Marines (Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Salamanders), Orks, and Imperial Guard/Titans. If it's the 3rd then I believe the forces are more or less the same just with a few additional marine chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also, is it just a computer adaptation of the tabletop or is it a grognard game from the ground up using the license? I think I'd personally prefer the former simply because it'd be a cheaper way to get into the hobby but still enjoy what everyone's raving about. But since it's GW we're talking about I'd bet it's the latter and those of us not willing to buy miniatures and compendiums can go gently caress ourselves.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

evilmiera posted:

What units are going to be on offer, besides the ones seen there? As in, what factions have been announced?

Well, at least the units being modeled like that means they shouldn't be going with NATO counters, which I did legitimately worry about.

For factions, it should be a small handful of Space Marine chapters and the Imperial Guard against Orks, since they said it is based off the Second War for Armageddon.

[EDIT] Strategy Informer suggests that you'll only be able to play as the Imperium.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 23, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also, is it just a computer adaptation of the tabletop or is it a grognard game from the ground up using the license? I think I'd personally prefer the former simply because it'd be a cheaper way to get into the hobby but still enjoy what everyone's raving about. But since it's GW we're talking about I'd bet it's the latter and those of us not willing to buy miniatures and compendiums can go gently caress ourselves.

There is a Space Hulk game coming out that is a straight port of the board game with some extra game modes but I would be really surprised if GW OK'd a digital version of 40k.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Zaodai posted:

Well, at least the units being modeled like that means they shouldn't be going with NATO counters, which I did legitimately worry about.

Hey, you never know. Maybe this is a flashier port of this game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/3177/battle-for-armageddon

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I ask for some screenshots and a run-down of what the game is like?
Sorry, the game is part of my gaming backlog so I haven't really gotten around to playing it yet.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Not sure about the 40k game yet. Not much is shown. I'm hoping they DO add counters as at least an option. I'm not much of a fan for 3D renderings after getting into the Tiller games. I like to focus more on pure strategy than pretty pretty princess.

Probably buy it anyways because it's 40k, and I want this universe everywhere I look.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 24, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The counters wouldn't be intuitive in this case anyway, they'd just be a cop out so they could half-rear end the artwork. Being a 40k video game nerd, I'm hoping for something better than standard grog fare.

Though I guess standard grog game UIs are as close as you can get to an authentic Imperium experience. Light some incense, say a prayer to the machine god, then hit a bunch of buttons nobody understands in the hopes that the right thing happens.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What will infuriate me (and what I guarantee will happen) is that despite being based on rolling dice and a system where the player should in theory know what all the dice rolls need to be in order to succeed, the game will still refuse to tell you what the statistical odds of success of an action are.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Grognard Games Megathread - hit a bunch of buttons nobody understands

Alchenar posted:

What will infuriate me (and what I guarantee will happen) is that despite being based on rolling dice and a system where the player should in theory know what all the dice rolls need to be in order to succeed, the game will still refuse to tell you what the statistical odds of success of an action are.

It's both sad and hilarious that Civilization IV (granted, with the BUG mod) has a better combat results predicting thingy.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I haven't been into Grognard Games for a long time, but really loved Panzer General and Fantasy General as a kid. I'm wondering if you guys can point me to any modern things which approximate an update of the best of SSI's old games. I thought 1C Company's Fantasy Wars series was pretty good.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Unity of Command is the big one. If you REALLY liked Panzer General, there's always the Panzer Corps remake. Those are the ones I know off the top of my head.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I haven't been into Grognard Games for a long time, but really loved Panzer General and Fantasy General as a kid. I'm wondering if you guys can point me to any modern things which approximate an update of the best of SSI's old games. I thought 1C Company's Fantasy Wars series was pretty good.

Panzer Corps is nearly a 1 to 1 remake of Panzer General with some touch-ups like a modern UI and tutorial. Its also reasonably priced, has a demo, and there's a shitton of decent DLC and two expansions for it so its basically the best gateway drug for grognardism there is.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

If you like Panzer General then Panzer Corps is probably a must. This is about to come out: http://matrixgames.com/news/1148/Germany.at.War:.Developer%27s.Note. It is basically Panzer Corps on the Eastern front with realistic unit sizes. It has more features than Panzer Corps but the main anti-grog on it is it does not have frontlines.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Panzer Corps, Panzer Corps: Afrika Corps and Panzer Corps: Allied Corps are exactly that.

e: Jesus, grogs jumping out of the woodwork.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
drat, that was quick and helpful. I'll have to check out Panzer Corps; I tried out Unity of Command and it felt like breaking through enemy units and lines was absurdly difficult. I was probably doing something wrong there.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

drat, that was quick and helpful. I'll have to check out Panzer Corps; I tried out Unity of Command and it felt like breaking through enemy units and lines was absurdly difficult. I was probably doing something wrong there.

Try, gently caress up, and watch what the AI does in UoC. But yeah, Panzer Corps, Allied/Afrika Korps, but also the new Barbarossa game may be your speed. Someday if you want to get more grognardy look into the Decisive Campaigns series.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A big tip that really helped me in UOC was realizing that 1) zone-of-control is influenced by which hexes you control and not just where the enemy units are and 2) moving into a newly abandoned hex flips it to your control, but then also relieves zone-of-control for the rest of your units, on the same turn.

That is, if you have a line of 3 enemy units, and then you force the middle unit to retreat, your tank unit can move much farther inside the enemy's rear if you have infantry "capture" the abandoned hex first.

UOC doesn't quite have as many unit types or scenarios as Panzer Corps, but I submit that its far better at actually being a realistic representation of maneuver warfare, without bogging you down in realistic minutiae.

Also, from the preview photos, that new Barbarossa game looks like rear end.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Just be aware: if you liked the way Panzer General let you swap between East and West fronts more-or-less at will, Corps has none of that. It's a far more railroaded experience than General, so your ability to direct the course of the war is mostly gone.

Disclaimer: I checked out Corps but didn't buy it after getting the above impression from the official FAQ and marketing materials.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Jakse posted:

If you like Panzer General then Panzer Corps is probably a must. This is about to come out: http://matrixgames.com/news/1148/Germany.at.War:.Developer%27s.Note. It is basically Panzer Corps on the Eastern front with realistic unit sizes. It has more features than Panzer Corps but the main anti-grog on it is it does not have frontlines.

This thing's out: http://matrixgames.com/products/472/details/GermanyatWar:Barbarossa1941
Anybody bite the bullet yet?

Also, to the guys upthread asking about Slitherine/Matrix's Warhammer 40K game: Pocket Tactics did an interview with them and it sounds like it's basically 40K-themed Panzer Corps. Works for me.
http://pockettactics.com/2013/07/20/an-afternoon-with-slitherine-part-one/
http://pockettactics.com/2013/07/22/an-afternoon-with-slitherine-part-two/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Thats... a very reasonable price point. I think I might wait just for the reviews (filtering through grognard bias).

Hell, the developer's diary is just a long list of 'here is everything wargame designers gently caress up. Here is how we are dealing with that poo poo'. I might throw my money their way just to encourage that.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Thats... a very reasonable price point. I think I might wait just for the reviews (filtering through grognard bias).

Hell, the developer's diary is just a long list of 'here is everything wargame designers gently caress up. Here is how we are dealing with that poo poo'. I might throw my money their way just to encourage that.

I don't like how it doesn't have supply lines but I am very interested in it. Waiting on reviews and thoughts as well. You are right that encouraging moving the genre forward and that 35 dollars makes more sense than 100 is a good thing worth throwing money at.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jakse posted:

I don't like how it doesn't have supply lines but I am very interested in it. Waiting on reviews and thoughts as well. You are right that encouraging moving the genre forward and that 35 dollars makes more sense than 100 is a good thing worth throwing money at.

No supply lines? That's very odd for a game that's about Barbarossa.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Philthy posted:

Not sure about the 40k game yet. Not much is shown. I'm hoping they DO add counters as at least an option. I'm not much of a fan for 3D renderings after getting into the Tiller games. I like to focus more on pure strategy than pretty pretty princess.

Probably buy it anyways because it's 40k, and I want this universe everywhere I look.

I play ASL among other grognard as poo poo tabletop games and in this case I think having NATO counters representing units in 40k Apoc would be pretty crap.

Like it would work for the imperial guard obviously, but space marines etc don't really have 'divisions' or 'corps' or 'armies' and if they are just throwing the standard infantry crossed bars on a chit and calling it a day I'd claim that my VERISIMILITUDE would be shattered.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Alchenar posted:

No supply lines? That's very odd for a game that's about Barbarossa.

There are supply lines. I bought it, haven't played it yet (still at work), but from reading the manual they have supply and advanced supply rules. Will give impressions later. Also you can play with NATO symbols... OOOooOOooOOoo

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 26, 2013

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Necroneocon posted:

There are supply lines. I bought it, haven't played it yet (still at work), but from reading the manual they have supply and advanced supply rules. Will give impressions later. Also you can play with NATO symbols... OOOooOOooOOoo

Reading dev comments it seems like there is a supply system and historical modifiers, but it doesn't look like you have traceable lines that someone can cut off. Still hoping to get impressions because it looks interesting.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It appears to be Panzer Corps style resupply with tracking of ammo and men as resources.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
It's a more detailed Panzer Corps. Think of it like Panzer Corps' big brother that wants you to play WitE and DC.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
To me it looks like a rehash of Operation Barbarossa - The Struggle for Russia, another Panzer General inspired game. I'm not sure though because the site doesn't name the developer for the new game.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I somehow lost the Grenada scenario in TOAW III last night. :lol:

Apparently the event engine was being being and I kept get -4VP for media complaints that shouldn't have been triggered. Never happened to me before. :iiam:

Thinking of giving the Vietnam Combat Operations a spin. I love how each Volume has a 16 page color scenario notes and instructions and counters mods. It looks really well done. Anyone ever give this a try?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 29, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Operational Art of War and Naval Matters...never going to work right.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Were you getting your report of the battle from the North Korean propaganda network?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zaodai posted:

Were you getting your report of the battle from the North Korean propaganda network?

In my WitP game I just had a Japanese Carrier Group show up at Midway and obliterate the supply convoy that was there, a couple of xAKs and a DD, - the Tokyo Rose voiceover came on and described how I had just lost a couple of CVs. It was a cute touch.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaodai posted:

I tend to think even North Korea is a little more reserved than that. Naval warfare is really awful in TOAW and honestly should be as limited as possible.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Same with air warfare too. Its a hugely flawed game that isn't getting any more patches.
Organic AA units do not defend against air attack if there are any land attack weapons in the unit.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baloogan posted:

Same with air warfare too. Its a hugely flawed game that isn't getting any more patches.
Organic AA units do not defend against air attack if there are any land attack weapons in the unit.
Yeah, there are so many issues with the game, but I still kind of have an attachment has to it.

There is actually a fan hack that apparently fixes the 3.4 AA issue...of course other issues emerge.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baloogan posted:

Ahh it seems I was subconsciously smart enough to stop and try model real world things involving air and AA since the results were so stupid.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Matrix appears to have ended their experiment with unadvertised discounts on redundant titles. It probably worked to squeeze some more money out of their existing customer base but it really wasn't done to pull anyone new in.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
rly gay

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Looking forward to the "Sales don't work for wargames :smugdog:" posts in the near future.